Photo

My Personal Acne Solution (Distilled Water)

red mark oily skin

5 replies to this topic

#1 Fanciful

Fanciful

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post on these forums (but trust me I've lurked around here before!)

I guess I'll start with why I'm posting...I want to hopefully help someone else that is struggling with acne since i finally found something that helps me. I know how frustrating it can be, low self-esteem, being self conscious looking someone else in the eye, and sometimes when looking at someone you see their eyes glance around at all the marks at your face instead of your eyes, never wanting to take pictures, not to mention acne can be pretty physically painful as well.

For years and years I had been looking for some sort of Acne solution for my face. I started getting acne my 5th grade, So i think that means I was 10 or 11ish? And it haunted me all the way up until a few months ago and I'm about to be 20. I did all sorts of things to try and cure it.

-I looked through forums on the internet (like this one Posted Image )
-googled random acne treatments, tried proactiv, tried proactiv knock offs
-went to a dermatologist and tried antibiotics (which helped mildly but sort of stopped working when i turned about 17)
-tried salicylic acid pads
-switched my pillow cover every night
-tried not touching my face at all and hoped that the acne would start to heal itself since i feared that maybe i was the cause of it with my pinching and squeezing.
- Tried taking a butt load of vitamin B5
- Tried using Fish oil pills
- Took ibuprofin consistently to try and remove inflammation from my face, hoping that would help the acne calm down.
- Tried changing my diet, multiple ways, multiple times.
- Using lancets to pierce some of the acne
- Tried stress relieving tactics thinking that maybe stress was the main cause
- Washing my face multiple times a day. (Which made my face more oily when using tap water)
- + many many more alternatives

And I could not find a solution. My dermatologist started to recommend accutane but I didn't really want to put by body through that drug, and i definitely didn't want to pay the money for it.

For years I sat frustrated trying to find some sort of solution. The acne I had, I'm not entirely sure how to classify it but it was much worse than many of my peers. I guess the way to describe it was I had alot of big red swollen pustules and they had quite a bit of ammunition packed behind them in terms of puss. Some of them seemed like 4 or 5 of them would be right next to each other and they would combine into a mega zit that took up a significant portion of my face. I also had many blackheads, especially around the nose. I suppose saying how my dermatologist suggested accutane may give some of an idea. I don't have any pictures to show of it (I often tried avoiding pictures because of it)

I moved around living spaces alot (and I still do) and I noticed something (after about 10 years Posted Image ). My skin condition would worsen at some places I lived, while at some other places my skin condition would improve dramatically, and quickly. I was puzzled as to why, which is how my lengthy list of attempted treatments came about. During my college winter break this year I lived with my sister for the month. While there my face condition improved so quickly, I was starting to think OMG IT'S FINALLY OVER!. After the month was over I moved back to college, and I could tell right away the first time I washed my face back at college what my problem was. My skin is very sensitive to water. When I went back to college my face burned when I tried using the water they have there ( I assume it's hard water). Right after I washed my face i went and took a bottle of drinking water and poured it on my face to remove irritation my face had from the school water.

After that night I figured I would try using "clean" water, or at least something better than tap water. So I went to the store and bought a gallon of distilled water for just 1 dollar. And my goodness the miracles it made. My face started clearing up so quickly. My face started to reduce in redness and inflammation within just days. Within about 3 to 4 weeks my face was nearly completely clear, just some blackheads and a couple red marks from scarring, which have pretty much faded now. I couldn't believe that after all this time, my biggest enemy was the water I was washing my face with. I was using Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser and Oxy Maximum at the time (both of which are very affordable) and i still do today. My acne condition had improved dramatically and has stayed that way since I started using distilled water to wash my face.

I hope this simple tip helps you guys out! I suppose i could have made this post a lot shorter, I just wanted to show that I know how it feels to have acne plague your life.

In closing I'll post my daily facial routine.
- Wake up
- Take shower (But I try to avoid letting the shower water touch my face, which isn't that hard)
- Wash face off with a towel and distilled water (I have a towel just for washing my face, that way the tap water never touches my face)
- Apply "Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin" all over my face. And i have it sit for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Wash the cetaphil off with distilled water.
- Apply a thin layer of "Oxy Maximum Face Wash 10% Benzoyl Peroxide" on my face (Thin enough so it isn't even visible).

Then I'm good to go for the day. At night I wash my face once more and go through the cetaphil and oxy routine, but I don't need to shower again haha.

That's all folks! I hope I help someone! And best of luck in your acne battle.

Edited by Fanciful, 11 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#2 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do you really leave the Oxy face wash on your skin without washing it off?

Apply a thin layer of "Oxy Maximum Face Wash 10% Benzyl Peroxide" on my face (Thin enough so it isn't even visible).

#3 Fanciful

Fanciful

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Do you really leave the Oxy face wash on your skin without washing it off?

Apply a thin layer of "Oxy Maximum Face Wash 10% Benzyl Peroxide" on my face (Thin enough so it isn't even visible).

Mhm. As odd as it may sound, My face actually feels less dry if i keep it on and have my face soak it in. And I figured that by letting the anti bacterial face wash sit on my face (it soaks in pretty quickly), it could be more effective for longer. But I'm sure you know far more than I do being a moderator, I would think you have seen far more stories than I ever will regarding the topic.

I'm assuming you are suggesting it can cause long term damage?

Edited by Fanciful, 11 May 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#4 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My kids, hockey, Turbo Fire.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Glad to hear your skin has cleared up with the distilled water.

Why not just use the Oxy BP medication instead of leaving the face wash on all day? I think this is what she's asking. I haven't looked it up but face washes have SLS typically, and this is not good to leave on your face. Not to mention that if you are leaving 10% BP on your face all day, you should be using a good SPF 30+ sunscreen.

#5 Fanciful

Fanciful

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

Glad to hear your skin has cleared up with the distilled water.

Why not just use the Oxy BP medication instead of leaving the face wash on all day? I think this is what she's asking. I haven't looked it up but face washes have SLS typically, and this is not good to leave on your face. Not to mention that if you are leaving 10% BP on your face all day, you should be using a good SPF 30+ sunscreen.

How would I know if the BP 10% is causing me to need sun screen? Would I notice an increase in sun burn? I haven't noticed any difference in how my face has been reacting to the sun. But perhaps it is doing something that I do not know about?

#6 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My kids, hockey, Turbo Fire.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

BP makes everyone's skin more sensitive to sun. This is on top of the fact that everyone should wear sunscreen even if not on BP. So if you're on BP, it's double.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users