Photo

Happy Birthday To Meee! Time For Accutaneee!

makeup

This topic is in the process of being archived.
510 replies to this topic

#21 ragerx

ragerx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

actually no if anything my face is more oily but i havn't broke out or anything.

#22 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

I also had more oil my first week or so on the medication. Real dryness didn't start until week 3 and now it's gone away. I just have normal skin. Not dry not oily. So I'm looking to get my dose increased Monday at my appointment. Month 3 woo hoo

#23 awesomenesssquared

awesomenesssquared

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

I haven't been on this board in a couple of years...but I am ALSO taking the accutane plung (This would be my second course, now at aged 22, first time at age 19). I took accutane the first time in 2009 but never reached the "maximum" dosage for full remission because I had joint pain and was an athlete at the time/couldn't deal (now i think that is my biggest regret...I shouldve stuck it out, I only took 40mgs for two months and 20mg for eight months aka a low dosage accutane course which ended early, my doc at the time said I needed 8more months low dose to reach that "threshold" dosage for remission, but I stupidly said no so I could stop the joint pain I had); however, I was clear for about a year after that and then started breaking out again in 2010. From there, I had my acne under control using antibiotics but come September 2011 when I started med school (can you say stress overload?) I have been struggling with crazy huge cystic acne (the size of pennies!!) which i never got before that has been scarring (very depressing and ruining my self confidence) and have finally succumbed to accutane again. I will start my own log soon when i begin my course when I see my derm for an appt on may 24th.

Its nice to know I will not be alone! GOOD LUCK GINA and everyone, we'll get through it together Posted Image

Edited by awesomenesssquared, 13 May 2012 - 12:57 AM.

#24 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:cooking, nutrition, exercise, being awesome!

Achievements

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I haven't been on this board in a couple of years...but I am ALSO taking the accutane plung (This would be my second course, now at aged 22, first time at age 19). I took accutane the first time in 2009 but never reached the "maximum" dosage for full remission because I had joint pain and was an athlete at the time/couldn't deal (now i think that is my biggest regret...I shouldve stuck it out, I only took 40mgs for two months and 20mg for eight months aka a low dosage accutane course which ended early, my doc at the time said I needed 8more months low dose to reach that "threshold" dosage for remission, but I stupidly said no so I could stop the joint pain I had); however, I was clear for about a year after that and then started breaking out again in 2010. From there, I had my acne under control using antibiotics but come September 2011 when I started med school (can you say stress overload?) I have been struggling with crazy huge cystic acne (the size of pennies!!) which i never got before that has been scarring (very depressing and ruining my self confidence) and have finally succumbed to accutane again. I will start my own log soon when i begin my course when I see my derm for an appt on may 24th.

Its nice to know I will not be alone! GOOD LUCK GINA and everyone, we'll get through it together Posted Image

Yay!!!!! Also great to hear that another person in the medical/health field is taking the plunge. I also can TOTALLY relate about the grad school stresses causing huge flare-up's for me. Stupid stress! I even had to give up drinking coffee because it was exacerbating my skin, causing more redness and bigger cysts. :(

Do you think you will be on a higher dose for a shorter course? My derm talked about bumping me up to 80 mg! All I could think when she said that was, "Dang, son!" Of all my friends who took Accutane, the higher dose shorter time worked better for them, but they had to get through the extreme dryness and potential sore joints/back pain. Two of my friends had to do 2 courses of accutane, but it fried whatever residual acne was left for them, and now they're clear as the sky.

Do you think this time you will be taking fish oil to lubricate your joints? I would if you had such a reaction before. Just my two fishy cents. Posted Image

#25 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

T-MINUS ONE DAY TILL ACCUTANE!!!!!

My friends and I had a joint birthday party for me and my other bud on a rooftop deck! It was amazing to watch the orange sunset against the Olympic Mountains in Seattle. I had a fantastic time, and tried not to touch my face, but it was itchy and breaking out on my cheeks. Posted Image It definitely made me feel self-conscious to meet to new people...and I was the only person there with acne. Booo. Regardless, I forged ahead and made some new friends as well as celebrated with old ones. Posted Image I love my friends so much.

I thought I would post a non-acne photo to get myself excited for clear skin again! I look REALLY pale here cause it was January I think, and we not only live in Seattle, but we were in Toronto and Quebec, so I don't know how long I went without seeing the sun. Posted Image

The last two photos were taken today. Yup, that's my ninja skin. The webcam never makes it look that bad, but there are cysts on my cheeks, forehead, jawline, and some persistent ones on my chin. Not wearing any face powder here. Also, wtf is up with my MULLET?!?! HAHAHAHHA

Yes, it is scary to post these photos, but I'm doing it to track my progress and help me see tangible results.

Have a great Mom's day everyone!

Attached Thumbnails

• 120114-124955.jpg
  • 120513-104432.jpg
  • 120513-104444.jpg

#26 awesomenesssquared

awesomenesssquared

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yay!!!!! Also great to hear that another person in the medical/health field is taking the plunge. I also can TOTALLY relate about the grad school stresses causing huge flare-up's for me. Stupid stress! I even had to give up drinking coffee because it was exacerbating my skin, causing more redness and bigger cysts. Posted Image

Do you think you will be on a higher dose for a shorter course? My derm talked about bumping me up to 80 mg! All I could think when she said that was, "Dang, son!" Of all my friends who took Accutane, the higher dose shorter time worked better for them, but they had to get through the extreme dryness and potential sore joints/back pain. Two of my friends had to do 2 courses of accutane, but it fried whatever residual acne was left for them, and now they're clear as the sky.

Do you think this time you will be taking fish oil to lubricate your joints? I would if you had such a reaction before. Just my two fishy cents. Posted Image

Trust me the stress level I was in back in sept 2011 was so bad I not only developed cystic acne but stress related eczema/dermatitus (diagnosed by my derm and an allergist I went to) that made my face ridiculously red and constantly itchy. Since then I also, like yourself, went crazy to try and fix the problem naturally (I gave up diary, I try to eat as little of gluten/wheat as I can...probably at the most eating a wrap in my sandwich and the breadcrumbs on some chircken as my only forms of gluten a day...eating at least 3 servings of vegetables a day, juicing vegetables, taking vit B5, fiber capsules, l carnitine/cystine, flax seed/fish oil, multivitamen, teas, lemon water, probiotics, overdoses of vitamen C etc.) I still do most of these things to this day and while I have gotten rid of the eczema and redness and my pimples go away a little faster (cysts make heads much faster now than usual) AND my non-acne prone skin looks AMAZING it has NOT stopped me from breaking out. I currently have over 10 pimples on my face, including 4 cysts and about 10 new shallow acne scars since this whole ordeal began :'(. I am trying to keep positive that with this accutane course it will all be over and I can begin to look at scar treatments.

As you can tell, I am pretty desperate and will DEMAND a higher dosage/shorter course this time like usual even with the jt pain. I will gladly endure the jt pain (which wasnt that bad the first time it was just hindering me athletically) to get rid of this problem once and for all....I have become so antisocial and depressed by my acne that the struggle for 5-6 months seems worth it to me. I am also glad to hear that your friends who took accutane twice healed them once and for all. Since I never really "finished" a course I am hoping this is all I need (Even though my acne is bad right now with cysts it WAS worse 3 years ago judging from pictures I found from that time, while I didnt have as many cysts back then I always had alot of pastules and was breaking out every couple of days while currently I only break out once a week...so hopefully if accutane calmed my acne by about 50% the first time this time it should get rid of i all!!

Thanks for the fish oil tip! I will definitely continue that into my course as well as my current healthy diet and vitamen C regimen to help with healing.

Only 11 more days until my journey begins...I hope i clear up fast, as you probably know dealing with others everyday in the healthcare field is tough when we look like an acne mess. I start seeing patients in August.... so I am hoping I clear up a significant amount by then. LETS GO ACCUTANE!Posted Image

#27 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Good on you for posting pictures, Gina. Here's hoping you can look back at the end of the course and be totally blown away by the results. Fingers crossed.
Now get that first pill taken and go get yourself some birthday cake! Posted Image Posted Image

#28 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yippie for day 1!!!!!! Happy Birthday Ninja Gina! Posted Image
Today is your first day towards clear skin!

#29 blahdeeblah

blahdeeblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Uh oh. It's confusing though, because I saw that Taylor weighs even less than me and is on 80 mg/day. The good news is that I'm starting at 40 mg / day, and I am hoping to stay here. She said that may bump me up, but who knows?

Do you know if doing a higher dose shortens the course overall, or is more effective than doing a lower dose for a longer time? I'm confused about that.

Hey girl - good luck on your course! I see youre from Seattle, I grew up in Spokane (now living in Alaska) but am very familiar with the Seattle area, I miss it there a lot!

I'm 5'10, 150 and i took a full 5 month course at 80mg/day. I was worried about my doseage too, but to be honest...I'm so glad I was prescribed that. Not only were my results quick, I am well, well over the recommended doseage so my chances of relapse should be less. I didn't suffer from any crazy side effects and am now 5 days post Tane and my skin couldn't be more clear. I would much rather do my course in 5 months at a high dose than a longer course with smaller dose.

#30 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi blahdeedah! Wow, thank you so much for the encouragement! That's excellent to hear about your progress, and I'm going to work on putting my fears to rest about the dosage. I love Seattle. It's SO beautiful today, and hopefully will get up to 79 degrees today. :D

So, I posted in another one of your log's about how I couldn't get my prescription today. :( Stupid iPledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically my second pregnancy test won't be in the system until 2-3 more days because they like torturing us I guess, so I will be getting my pills hopefully Wednesday, but it may even be as late as Thursday. I was upset since I had to fast on my birthday, get blood drawn, and then chill out in the pharmacy and leave empty-handed. I got upset like a psycho hose beast, but then calmed down within the last hour since my fiance is taking me canoeing and then we're going to my favorite vegetarian restaurant called Chaco Canyon. Seriously, google them and check out their menu. SO GOOD.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everybody!!!!!!!!! You'll all be in my mind as I'm waiting out these next few days. I'll update when I get my Rx.

<3

#31 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Happy birthday, Gina! I'm sorry you couldn't get your prescription today. Just remember you'll have it in your hands by the end of the week. So exciting! I hope the rest of your birthday was fantastic! :)

#32 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hey friends!!!!

I GOT MY PRESCRIPTION TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

aoidhg0hf029fj3jf420 (that's me freaking out about how annoying the process was)

Now that I've got that out of my system...hehehe time to put some isotretinoin IN my system.

First dose will be taken with dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I should take the full 40 mg dose tonight since I didn't get it till this afternoon? Or should I just take one 20 mg pill with dinner? Hmmm, not sure. I'm a very impatient person so I partly want to take the full dose, but I also don't want to feel ill right away. What to do...what to do...

Tonight I'm making black beans with quinoa, avocado, and sauteed Swiss chard with garlic. Yum yummers. I soaked the black beans this morning and will cook them in my pressure cooker, which makes beans in literally 8 minutes. SO FAST. They taste better than canned anyways.

We also might see The Dictator tonight, that really terrible/funny movie. I'm excited to have so much going on so it distracts from my itchy oozy face and starting the new medicine.

Wish me luck!

#33 kaydon

kaydon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hey friends!!!!

aoidhg0hf029fj3jf420 (that's me freaking out about how annoying the process was)

Now that I've got that out of my system...hehehe time to put some isotretinoin IN my system.

First dose will be taken with dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I should take the full 40 mg dose tonight since I didn't get it till this afternoon? Or should I just take one 20 mg pill with dinner? Hmmm, not sure. I'm a very impatient person so I partly want to take the full dose, but I also don't want to feel ill right away. What to do...what to do...

Tonight I'm making black beans with quinoa, avocado, and sauteed Swiss chard with garlic. Yum yummers. I soaked the black beans this morning and will cook them in my pressure cooker, which makes beans in literally 8 minutes. SO FAST. They taste better than canned anyways.

We also might see The Dictator tonight, that really terrible/funny movie. I'm excited to have so much going on so it distracts from my itchy oozy face and starting the new medicine.

Wish me luck!

YAY I'm glad you got your script after dealing with the ridiculousness of iPledge! :)

#34 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hey friends!!!!

Wish me luck!

Congrats!! You must be so excited :D You could try to take them right before bed, and then you'll hopefully sleep through any initial side effects?

#35 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm so happy for you Gina! Take em both! Get it over with :) your dinner sounds amazing by the way :)

#36 redhead rachel

redhead rachel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yay!! :D I'm so happy you got your prescription, Gina! I was a little worried about popping two pills at once for my first time taking it, so I waited until the next morning. I'm sure it'll be fine though!

Did you end up taking just one or both of them?

#37 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks, guys! I ended up just taking one because I'm a scaredy cat. Haha Honestly I was more so trying to follow my derm's instructions to only take 1 pill twice a day to start with. It somehow felt monumental, swallowing that first pill. I was scared, but tried to calm myself down so I didn't get an upset stomach! I'm just glad it didn't taste bad like a lot of those nasty antibiotics, nor has it made my stomach hurt so far.

I do have a bit of a headache, but that's probably because this week has been suuuuper busy for me. I'm trying to manage my stress, but I have a big presentation next week that I'm barely making progress on because I can't stop chatting on these forums. Haha I love talking on here...must...find...balance!

Tomorrow! 1 pill with breakfast and 1 with dinner! :)

#38 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Day 2

Only taken 2 pills total so far. Taking another 20 mg pill tonight. My skin actually felt a bit more dry today, but nothing major yet. Probably placebo effect. Haha I took some photos to compare with 2 days ago, and whooopdeedooo...it's still the same!

I do feel a bit more fatigued today, but that could just be from school stress. I had some organic coffee with raw honey (YUM!) for the first time in a LONG time and it is helping me work through this PowerPoint presentation I'm creating. I have a big thesis practice presentation next Tuesday, and I'm only like 50% done with it so far. Rawrrr!!!

There are so many bumps everywhere, and too many cysts to count, lots of hyperpigmentation. I'm praying that I don't get bad scars. Almost all of these breakouts are from taking Bactrim and using Tazorac cream for 3 months. Before that stuff, my acne was never this bad. Also, I hope the Ortho-Tri-Cyclen starts to improve my skin since I've been taking it for a little over a month. Overall, I dislike this birth control stuff and I'll be glad to get off of it when my treatment is over. It makes me generally nauseous in the afternoon.

Trying to let my skin breath today by not wearing ANY powder on my face. I don't even care if it looks bad because I know it's going to get better.

#39 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Day 2

Only taken 2 pills total so far. Taking another 20 mg pill tonight. My skin actually felt a bit more dry today, but nothing major yet. Probably placebo effect. Haha I took some photos to compare with 2 days ago, and whooopdeedooo...it's still the same!

I do feel a bit more fatigued today, but that could just be from school stress. I had some organic coffee with raw honey (YUM!) for the first time in a LONG time and it is helping me work through this PowerPoint presentation I'm creating. I have a big thesis practice presentation next Tuesday, and I'm only like 50% done with it so far. Rawrrr!!!

There are so many bumps everywhere, and too many cysts to count, lots of hyperpigmentation. I'm praying that I don't get bad scars. Almost all of these breakouts are from taking Bactrim and using Tazorac cream for 3 months. Before that stuff, my acne was never this bad. Also, I hope the Ortho-Tri-Cyclen starts to improve my skin since I've been taking it for a little over a month. Overall, I dislike this birth control stuff and I'll be glad to get off of it when my treatment is over. It makes me generally nauseous in the afternoon.

Trying to let my skin breath today by not wearing ANY powder on my face. I don't even care if it looks bad because I know it's going to get better.

I started getting a bit of fatigue early on, but luckily it went away after a few days. Hopefully yours does the same, if it happens to be from the pills! This might be some sort of silver lining: since the Bactrim had already given you a crazy breakout, it could be possible that your IB this time will either be very light or non-existent, since most of your existing acne under the skin has been pushed out? Just an educated guess :)

Good luck on your presentation! I definitely don't miss giving those!

#40 Tiger 1

Tiger 1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:fitness, reading, champagne and being a super mom

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Day 2

Congratulations Ginanutrition!

I love your story - you definitely gave the acne fight your all! I've talked with you a bit on someone else's post but decided today to read your actual story. I'm so glad to hear that someone so educated in the world of natural medicine still made the choice to try Accutane. I certainly don't have your knowledge or degrees (mine's in elementary education) but over the course of being a mom for almost 20 years, I have become more and more nutritional educated on my own. I just bought my first bag of quinoa the other day because I keep finding recipes that call for it - haven't ventured to make anything yet because I'm not sure my family will be accepting but they are used to trying all of "mom's healthy stuff" when I experiment, so we'll see.

I am so excited for you that you've begun taking the medicine. I am also on 40 mg a day and I'm on day 18. One good thing I've been enjoying is not having to blot my greasy face a million times a day, it's sooooooooooo weird but so good. Good luck!!