Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday To Meee! Time For Accutaneee!

250 posts in this topic

Hey girl! You look smoother!! Thats amazing news!! I see that things are flattening out and getting pinker instead of redder! Woohooo

1 person likes this

Gina your skin is looking noticeably better after less than a week! That's awesome news! :D Glad you're getting such fast and amazing results!

1 person likes this

My log :

http://www.acne.org/...king-acnes-ass/

Month 1 (May 2012)- 20mg

Month 2 - 40mg

Month 3 - 60mg

Month 4 - 60mg

Month 5 - 60mg

Month 6 - 60mg

Thanks, friends!!! Seriously! I didn't think it would happen so quick. I'm getting to that point of being pissed I didn't do this sooner!!!!!

28 years young female nutrition ninja

blah blah acne forever. let's kick it in the nutz, accutane.

Barlean's omega 3-6-9 swirl, probiotics, Thorne liver support, vitamin D

Started Claravis May 16, 2012

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Ending October 18, 2012

Reading your story definitely puts everything in perspective considering everything you went through and i wish you lots of luck! and that's exactly what i was thinking, about doing it earlier. I look at pictures from last summer and i was perfectly clear, i knew i should've started accutane in the winter when it got bad aaghh. oh well we're on it now thats all that matters

Month 1: 40 mg a day

Month 2: 60 mg a day

Month 3: ?

Month 4: ?

Month 5: ?

Reading your story definitely puts everything in perspective considering everything you went through and i wish you lots of luck! and that's exactly what i was thinking, about doing it earlier. I look at pictures from last summer and i was perfectly clear, i knew i should've started accutane in the winter when it got bad aaghh. oh well we're on it now thats all that matters

Awww, thank you!!! That means a lot to me. :) I'm sure you went through the same problem of reading waaayyy too many side effects and scary things on the internet. I stopped looking at all the negative stuff and started asking my friends in real life. Many of them have had great success on this medicine. It does suck when you realize you could have started sooner, but I know I wasn't psychologically ready for it. I was in a lot of denial.

Now I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

How far along in your course are you, Nina? Have you seen improvement?

Ending October 18, 2012

I know several friends who have admitted to going on Accutane (they just said it as part of a normal conversation; I've never flat out asked anyone), and all of them have absolutely flawless skin. Not a single one mentioned anything about how awful the side effects were :)

1 person likes this

My log :

http://www.acne.org/...king-acnes-ass/

Month 1 (May 2012)- 20mg

Month 2 - 40mg

Month 3 - 60mg

Month 4 - 60mg

Month 5 - 60mg

Month 6 - 60mg

You're skin is already starting to look better! I'm definitely glad another person on this forum is starting Accutane the same time I am, so we can compare! :D

I definitely know what you mean about your face having a pink tint to it. My face doesn't match the rest of my body now either haha. I tried using Cerave lotion for the first time this morning... it felt alright. I got up and looked at the mirror a few minutes later and my face was red as tomato! I washed off the lotion then and tried Gold Bond lotion instead. It felt a lot better and didn't leave my face as greasy, I also noticed it didn't make my face as red.

I'm planning on trying some Aveeno products soon for moisture. Does anyone have any experience on these two brands?

1 person likes this

Wow, your skin is already starting to heal! That is so awesome. You'll be clear in no time! :)

23 year old Female, 133 pounds

Light/Moderate Acne

Previous 'Tane treatment May '09 - July '09

Claravis 80mg/day

Start date: March 28, 2012

Month 1 - April : 60mg/day

Month 2 - May : 60mg/day

Month 3 - June : 80mg/day

Month 4 - July : 80mg/day

Month 5 - August : 80mg/day

Month 6 - September : 80mg/day

Finished September 28, 2012!!

smile.png

Your skin is definitely looking better, Gina! Hooray for some fast results! Now let's hope it stays that way and you continue to clear up without an IB!

Accutane Log

Month 1: May - 40mg

Month 2: June - 40mg

Month 3: July - 40mg

Month 4: August - 40mg

Month 5: September - 40mg

Thanks, guys!!! I'm starting to think this is the miracle medicine everyone keeps talking about. I hope we all continue to get better and ninja blast this stuff from our lives!!!!

Jeff: yeah, the Cerave lotion made my face turn SO RED. I was horrified. It BURNED, and this was even before Accutane. I just can't use it. I can use their face washes, but not the moisturizers for some reason.

Even my fiance said he noticed the difference after a few days, and it looks better with mineral makeup of course. He even calls them "your magic pills." Hahaha he's so cute...it made me laugh. I know my skin is far from perfect, but at least I'm already in less pain with less whiteheads. It was just the boost of confidence I needed for this week because I have a big presentation tomorrow. :)

Eyes are definitely drier than my skin. I have to use lubricating drops like 10 times a day. I was even itching my eyes. I have to watch out for this. I've just been using the pharmacy lubricating drops...I think Mild? Maybe I should get the intensive ones? Any suggestions?

1 person likes this

Ending October 18, 2012

Thanks, guys!!! I'm starting to think this is the miracle medicine everyone keeps talking about. I hope we all continue to get better and ninja blast this stuff from our lives!!!!

Jeff: yeah, the Cerave lotion made my face turn SO RED. I was horrified. It BURNED, and this was even before Accutane. I just can't use it. I can use their face washes, but not the moisturizers for some reason.

Even my fiance said he noticed the difference after a few days, and it looks better with mineral makeup of course. He even calls them "your magic pills." Hahaha he's so cute...it made me laugh. I know my skin is far from perfect, but at least I'm already in less pain with less whiteheads. It was just the boost of confidence I needed for this week because I have a big presentation tomorrow. smile.png

Eyes are definitely drier than my skin. I have to use lubricating drops like 10 times a day. I was even itching my eyes. I have to watch out for this. I've just been using the pharmacy lubricating drops...I think Mild? Maybe I should get the intensive ones? Any suggestions?

I use some amazing eye drops. They are Systane Gel Drops. I love them. It is a gel instead of a liquid. I find that they last a million times longer than the drops. It is thick though so be aware when you put them in that you will be blurry eyed for a min or 2 before they settle. My eye doctor recommended them highly and now its all I use. I have a dry eye issue where I don't produce enough tears so I have silicone eye plugs in both of my lower eye lids so whatever moisture I do produce doesn't have a place to drain out. So these were a god send for me. I think they run from like 8 - 10 bucks but they are well worth it if they visine and dry eyes kind aren't working enough. I only need to use mine once or twice a day if I need them. Most days I don't.

1 person likes this

Even my fiance said he noticed the difference after a few days, and it looks better with mineral makeup of course. He even calls them "your magic pills." Hahaha he's so cute...it made me laugh. I know my skin is far from perfect, but at least I'm already in less pain with less whiteheads. It was just the boost of confidence I needed for this week because I have a big presentation tomorrow. smile.png

I use some amazing eye drops. They are Systane Gel Drops. I love them. It is a gel instead of a liquid. I find that they last a million times longer than the drops. It is thick though so be aware when you put them in that you will be blurry eyed for a min or 2 before they settle. My eye doctor recommended them highly and now its all I use. I have a dry eye issue where I don't produce enough tears so I have silicone eye plugs in both of my lower eye lids so whatever moisture I do produce doesn't have a place to drain out. So these were a god send for me. I think they run from like 8 - 10 bucks but they are well worth it if they visine and dry eyes kind aren't working enough. I only need to use mine once or twice a day if I need them. Most days I don't.

Yay for Gina! I'm so happy you are seeing results so quickly! My eyes haven't been too dry. I wear contacts so I was concerned about that side effect but I use eye drops a lot anyway so maybe that has helped. I use the individual ones that have no perservatives for moderate dry eye by the same company Betsy recommended.

I can't wait until all the crap on my face heals! I want smooth skin tooooooooo! :) I am loving the dry, though, it's awesome. Most people my age complain about dry skin but I love not having to worry about melting makeup, woo hoo! :) If only my cyst friend on my jaw would take a hike.....

Yay for Gina! I'm so happy you are seeing results so quickly! My eyes haven't been too dry. I wear contacts so I was concerned about that side effect but I use eye drops a lot anyway so maybe that has helped. I use the individual ones that have no perservatives for moderate dry eye by the same company Betsy recommended.

I can't wait until all the crap on my face heals! I want smooth skin tooooooooo! smile.png I am loving the dry, though, it's awesome. Most people my age complain about dry skin but I love not having to worry about melting makeup, woo hoo! smile.png If only my cyst friend on my jaw would take a hike.....

Thanks for the great recommendation, Betsy! I'll check it out. Yeah I have these things in my eyes called pingueculas from growing up in Florida without ever wearing sunglasses. Basically, they are benign growths that get cause my eyes to get bloodshot if they get really dry or exposed to wind/dust. Weird thing is I never knew I had them until this year when I went to the optometrist and my eyes were soooo bloodshot. Since Seattle is a lot drier and windier than Florida, they flared up here. Eyes are WEIRD!!!

Tiger: it will heal!!!! They are stubborn little buggers, but it will!!

1 person likes this

Ending October 18, 2012

Definitely see an improvement. I think for anyone who hasn't struggled with acne, it might be hard for them to appreciate what even the slightest improvement could mean going forward, but when you've been stuck with it for a long time and perhaps feel as though you don't really have control over it, to then start seeing results from a new course of action is an amazing feeling. You start taking that control back and you realize that this is only the beginning. Even if there might be a few twists and turns along the way, it will all come good in the end. To see light at the end of the tunnel is awesome. I was in the same position when I figured out how I could bring my acne under control, kicking myself because the answer had been there for goodness knows how long and I blamed myself for not doing it sooner. Kind of beat myself up about it for a while but coming out of the other side of that now. Don't worry about it. Best thing to do is let it go and just focus on the treatment and whatever you might be able to do to make it all as comfortable as possible. :)

1 person likes this

Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become habits
Habits become character
Character becomes destiny
It is time to change my destiny

You look like a guy I banged once.

Definitely see an improvement. I think for anyone who hasn't struggled with acne, it might be hard for them to appreciate what even the slightest improvement could mean going forward, but when you've been stuck with it for a long time and perhaps feel as though you don't really have control over it, to then start seeing results from a new course of action is an amazing feeling. You start taking that control back and you realize that this is only the beginning. Even if there might be a few twists and turns along the way, it will all come good in the end. To see light at the end of the tunnel is awesome. I was in the same position when I figured out how I could bring my acne under control, kicking myself because the answer had been there for goodness knows how long and I blamed myself for not doing it sooner. Kind of beat myself up about it for a while but coming out of the other side of that now. Don't worry about it. Best thing to do is let it go and just focus on the treatment and whatever you might be able to do to make it all as comfortable as possible. smile.png

Thanks, Paul! I know I still have lots of marks on my face, but to me, it's huge progress. It feels SO much smoother when I wash my face, and things are really drying out. It's amazing to finally find a therapy that works but hasn't had too many side effects (so far). I also agree on just letting the treatment doing its thing, and sort of alleviating the discomfort.

Day 7

My skin is still smoothing out, but I am remarkably tired today. I have been under a lot of school stress and gave a big presentation today, as well as had meetings and class. I'm literally pooped and have another class tonight! wtf...

My eyes are reeeaallllyyyy dry and kind of painful. I need to buy those eyedrops BeautifulDisasters talked about because the ones I have don't cut it. I also haven't been taking my fish oil this week, so I started that again. I'm bad about remembering to be honest since there's so much going on. Just remembering the right time of day to take the birth control and then the accutane every morning and night, vitamin D, liver cleansing pill. Gahh! I need to simplify my regimen. Tomorrow I will take my supplements in the AM, BCP at noon, and both Claravis pills at night.

Also, my lips are FO REAL drying out. Even the skin around my mouth is sort of dry and peeling. It's gross, but Aquaphor really is soothing. Everything else lasts about 50 minutes, and then i'm JUICED.

Like I said, there is a wonderful overall smoothness to my skin that keeps getting better. A few pimples are cropping up on my chin, though. sad.png One thing I noticed is that my face gets pink and kind of burns after I wash it at night. I think I have that Tane burn already cause I am a bit pink throughout the day as well! Makes sense, though, because I am really sensitive to medicines in general, which explains my semi-quick results. Scabs on old pimples literally flake off. Plus, my skin is already sensitive so that could explain the tan burn. It's weird but cool. Hoping it gets better and doesn't burn as much when I put moisturizer on at night...

Time for a nap!strongsad.gif

Ending October 18, 2012

WOOHOO FOR SMOOTH SKIN BABY YEAHHHHHHH :)

I'm sooo hyper I drank 4 cups of coffee to get all my homework in by my semester deadline,

AND THE COFFEE WORKED :D YEAH BABY. Only one more class to completee.

You guys please listen to

Headlights on a Highway - Ron Pope

Perfect for Me - Ron Pope

Tell Me So - Ron Pope

I am officially in love.

1 person likes this

My Accutane Log! - Starting 4/17/2012!

Month 1 - 80mg

Month 2 - 80mg

Month 3 - 80mg

Month 4 - 80mg

Month 5 - 80mg

Month 6 -80mg

Accutane is my new best friend <3.

Hahaha you are hilarious! So that's how it's done! COFFEEEEEEE

Ending October 18, 2012

Definitely see an improvement. I think for anyone who hasn't struggled with acne, it might be hard for them to appreciate what even the slightest improvement could mean going forward, but when you've been stuck with it for a long time and perhaps feel as though you don't really have control over it, to then start seeing results from a new course of action is an amazing feeling. You start taking that control back and you realize that this is only the beginning. Even if there might be a few twists and turns along the way, it will all come good in the end. To see light at the end of the tunnel is awesome. I was in the same position when I figured out how I could bring my acne under control, kicking myself because the answer had been there for goodness knows how long and I blamed myself for not doing it sooner. Kind of beat myself up about it for a while but coming out of the other side of that now. Don't worry about it. Best thing to do is let it go and just focus on the treatment and whatever you might be able to do to make it all as comfortable as possible. smile.png

Thanks, Paul! I know I still have lots of marks on my face, but to me, it's huge progress. It feels SO much smoother when I wash my face, and things are really drying out. It's amazing to finally find a therapy that works but hasn't had too many side effects (so far). I also agree on just letting the treatment doing its thing, and sort of alleviating the discomfort.

Day 7

My skin is still smoothing out, but I am remarkably tired today. I have been under a lot of school stress and gave a big presentation today, as well as had meetings and class. I'm literally pooped and have another class tonight! wtf...

My eyes are reeeaallllyyyy dry and kind of painful. I need to buy those eyedrops BeautifulDisasters talked about because the ones I have don't cut it. I also haven't been taking my fish oil this week, so I started that again. I'm bad about remembering to be honest since there's so much going on. Just remembering the right time of day to take the birth control and then the accutane every morning and night, vitamin D, liver cleansing pill. Gahh! I need to simplify my regimen. Tomorrow I will take my supplements in the AM, BCP at noon, and both Claravis pills at night.

Also, my lips are FO REAL drying out. Even the skin around my mouth is sort of dry and peeling. It's gross, but Aquaphor really is soothing. Everything else lasts about 50 minutes, and then i'm JUICED.

Like I said, there is a wonderful overall smoothness to my skin that keeps getting better. A few pimples are cropping up on my chin, though. sad.png One thing I noticed is that my face gets pink and kind of burns after I wash it at night. I think I have that Tane burn already cause I am a bit pink throughout the day as well! Makes sense, though, because I am really sensitive to medicines in general, which explains my semi-quick results. Scabs on old pimples literally flake off. Plus, my skin is already sensitive so that could explain the tan burn. It's weird but cool. Hoping it gets better and doesn't burn as much when I put moisturizer on at night...

Hi Gina. I am glad to hear things are going well. I'm also experiencing the Tane burn. My skin was dry but oily during the first week. I think the oil has calmed down a little, but great though. I started developing a cluster of cysts on my chin. In the beginning, I applied benzoyl peroxide (i know, i know....so bad). Now I'm just leaving things alone. I'm also getting 1-2 pimples on my cheeks. Not sure if it's really an initial breakout and I don't want to call it that in case there's worse down the road. Within the past two days I've started to experience dandruff. This is new for me but people on the board seem to like T-Gel so I'm going to give it a try. I started just a few days before you...on the 11th. I'll keep checking in to see how things are going. Good luck!

1 person likes this

Day 7

Yay Gina I am so happy to hear you are getting results! The fast the better for you! Get you cleared up before wedding time this summer! Hopefully you were able to get a nap in there!

2 people like this

Thanks, Betsy! Seriously! Yes I passed out for 2 hours. lol So badly needed. Hoping to feel like a fully functioning human being tomorrow!

Ending October 18, 2012

OMFGGGGGG

My face BURNS in the evening when I put on moisturizer, but not in the morning! Does anyone else experience this problem? It is absolutely PAINFUL. Thankfully it goes away within 20 minutes, but it feels like a chemical burn!!!! I'm currently using Boscia oil-free nightly hydrator which is light but hydrating enough right now since I'm not overly dry...just dry and matte. It's really nice.

Anyways, is this normal? This moisturizer never burned before. Do I need to switch to something even more simple? I heard Cetaphil makes you really greasy, and Cerave burned my skin, too. sad.png Or is this just part of the treatment? The burning goes away, but it was so bad, it made me curse like a sailor.

Ending October 18, 2012

Thats not good that your face burns! Ouch. I can say that my face doesn't burn at all when I moisturize. Cetaphil makes a moisturizing cream that comes in a big tub. I have heard good things about that. The stuff in the pump though does make me oily and greasy. Maybe try that?

Ouch! That doesn't sound good, Gina! You definitely don't want to irritate your skin... Maybe try another moisturizer and see if that helps? Cetaphil has a few different types of moisturizers, so one of them might be suitable for you skin. Maybe try the one in the tub that Betsy mentioned? Or you could try the CeraVe cream that's in a tub. Betsy recommends that to almost everyone. :P It doesn't break me out like their Moisturizing Lotion did. Either way I'd definitely try something else and see how your skin responds.

Accutane Log

Ok. Thanks, girls. :( Yeah, it's just weird how this moisturizer used to be the only thing that worked for me at night, and now it burns! Must have some ingredient that is reacting with the accutane in a weird way. I might call the dermatologist and ask for a suggestion as well.

Thanks again!

Ending October 18, 2012

Yeah, there must be some ingredient your dry skin isn't liking right now. Hopefully your derm can prescribe something that will help!

Accutane Log