Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Birthday To Meee! Time For Accutaneee!

250 posts in this topic

I haven't been on this board in a couple of years...but I am ALSO taking the accutane plung (This would be my second course, now at aged 22, first time at age 19). I took accutane the first time in 2009 but never reached the "maximum" dosage for full remission because I had joint pain and was an athlete at the time/couldn't deal (now i think that is my biggest regret...I shouldve stuck it out, I only took 40mgs for two months and 20mg for eight months aka a low dosage accutane course which ended early, my doc at the time said I needed 8more months low dose to reach that "threshold" dosage for remission, but I stupidly said no so I could stop the joint pain I had); however, I was clear for about a year after that and then started breaking out again in 2010. From there, I had my acne under control using antibiotics but come September 2011 when I started med school (can you say stress overload?) I have been struggling with crazy huge cystic acne (the size of pennies!!) which i never got before that has been scarring (very depressing and ruining my self confidence) and have finally succumbed to accutane again. I will start my own log soon when i begin my course when I see my derm for an appt on may 24th.

Its nice to know I will not be alone! GOOD LUCK GINA and everyone, we'll get through it together hifive.gif

Yay!!!!! Also great to hear that another person in the medical/health field is taking the plunge. I also can TOTALLY relate about the grad school stresses causing huge flare-up's for me. Stupid stress! I even had to give up drinking coffee because it was exacerbating my skin, causing more redness and bigger cysts. sad.png

Do you think you will be on a higher dose for a shorter course? My derm talked about bumping me up to 80 mg! All I could think when she said that was, "Dang, son!" Of all my friends who took Accutane, the higher dose shorter time worked better for them, but they had to get through the extreme dryness and potential sore joints/back pain. Two of my friends had to do 2 courses of accutane, but it fried whatever residual acne was left for them, and now they're clear as the sky.

Do you think this time you will be taking fish oil to lubricate your joints? I would if you had such a reaction before. Just my two fishy cents. rolleyes.gif

Trust me the stress level I was in back in sept 2011 was so bad I not only developed cystic acne but stress related eczema/dermatitus (diagnosed by my derm and an allergist I went to) that made my face ridiculously red and constantly itchy. Since then I also, like yourself, went crazy to try and fix the problem naturally (I gave up diary, I try to eat as little of gluten/wheat as I can...probably at the most eating a wrap in my sandwich and the breadcrumbs on some chircken as my only forms of gluten a day...eating at least 3 servings of vegetables a day, juicing vegetables, taking vit B5, fiber capsules, l carnitine/cystine, flax seed/fish oil, multivitamen, teas, lemon water, probiotics, overdoses of vitamen C etc.) I still do most of these things to this day and while I have gotten rid of the eczema and redness and my pimples go away a little faster (cysts make heads much faster now than usual) AND my non-acne prone skin looks AMAZING it has NOT stopped me from breaking out. I currently have over 10 pimples on my face, including 4 cysts and about 10 new shallow acne scars since this whole ordeal began :'(. I am trying to keep positive that with this accutane course it will all be over and I can begin to look at scar treatments.

As you can tell, I am pretty desperate and will DEMAND a higher dosage/shorter course this time like usual even with the jt pain. I will gladly endure the jt pain (which wasnt that bad the first time it was just hindering me athletically) to get rid of this problem once and for all....I have become so antisocial and depressed by my acne that the struggle for 5-6 months seems worth it to me. I am also glad to hear that your friends who took accutane twice healed them once and for all. Since I never really "finished" a course I am hoping this is all I need (Even though my acne is bad right now with cysts it WAS worse 3 years ago judging from pictures I found from that time, while I didnt have as many cysts back then I always had alot of pastules and was breaking out every couple of days while currently I only break out once a week...so hopefully if accutane calmed my acne by about 50% the first time this time it should get rid of i all!!

Thanks for the fish oil tip! I will definitely continue that into my course as well as my current healthy diet and vitamen C regimen to help with healing.

Only 11 more days until my journey begins...I hope i clear up fast, as you probably know dealing with others everyday in the healthcare field is tough when we look like an acne mess. I start seeing patients in August.... so I am hoping I clear up a significant amount by then. LETS GO ACCUTANE!eusa_pray.gif

1 person likes this

Good on you for posting pictures, Gina. Here's hoping you can look back at the end of the course and be totally blown away by the results. Fingers crossed.

Now get that first pill taken and go get yourself some birthday cake! boogie.gifcheer.gif

Yippie for day 1!!!!!! Happy Birthday Ninja Gina! cheer.gif

Today is your first day towards clear skin!

Uh oh. It's confusing though, because I saw that Taylor weighs even less than me and is on 80 mg/day. The good news is that I'm starting at 40 mg / day, and I am hoping to stay here. She said that may bump me up, but who knows?

Do you know if doing a higher dose shortens the course overall, or is more effective than doing a lower dose for a longer time? I'm confused about that.

Hey girl - good luck on your course! I see youre from Seattle, I grew up in Spokane (now living in Alaska) but am very familiar with the Seattle area, I miss it there a lot!

I'm 5'10, 150 and i took a full 5 month course at 80mg/day. I was worried about my doseage too, but to be honest...I'm so glad I was prescribed that. Not only were my results quick, I am well, well over the recommended doseage so my chances of relapse should be less. I didn't suffer from any crazy side effects and am now 5 days post Tane and my skin couldn't be more clear. I would much rather do my course in 5 months at a high dose than a longer course with smaller dose.

Hi blahdeedah! Wow, thank you so much for the encouragement! That's excellent to hear about your progress, and I'm going to work on putting my fears to rest about the dosage. I love Seattle. It's SO beautiful today, and hopefully will get up to 79 degrees today. :D

So, I posted in another one of your log's about how I couldn't get my prescription today. :( Stupid iPledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically my second pregnancy test won't be in the system until 2-3 more days because they like torturing us I guess, so I will be getting my pills hopefully Wednesday, but it may even be as late as Thursday. I was upset since I had to fast on my birthday, get blood drawn, and then chill out in the pharmacy and leave empty-handed. I got upset like a psycho hose beast, but then calmed down within the last hour since my fiance is taking me canoeing and then we're going to my favorite vegetarian restaurant called Chaco Canyon. Seriously, google them and check out their menu. SO GOOD.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everybody!!!!!!!!! You'll all be in my mind as I'm waiting out these next few days. I'll update when I get my Rx.

<3

Happy birthday, Gina! I'm sorry you couldn't get your prescription today. Just remember you'll have it in your hands by the end of the week. So exciting! I hope the rest of your birthday was fantastic! :)

Hey friends!!!!

I GOT MY PRESCRIPTION TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

aoidhg0hf029fj3jf420 (that's me freaking out about how annoying the process was)

Now that I've got that out of my system...hehehe time to put some isotretinoin IN my system.

First dose will be taken with dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I should take the full 40 mg dose tonight since I didn't get it till this afternoon? Or should I just take one 20 mg pill with dinner? Hmmm, not sure. I'm a very impatient person so I partly want to take the full dose, but I also don't want to feel ill right away. What to do...what to do...

Tonight I'm making black beans with quinoa, avocado, and sauteed Swiss chard with garlic. Yum yummers. I soaked the black beans this morning and will cook them in my pressure cooker, which makes beans in literally 8 minutes. SO FAST. They taste better than canned anyways.

We also might see The Dictator tonight, that really terrible/funny movie. I'm excited to have so much going on so it distracts from my itchy oozy face and starting the new medicine.

Wish me luck!

Hey friends!!!!

aoidhg0hf029fj3jf420 (that's me freaking out about how annoying the process was)

Now that I've got that out of my system...hehehe time to put some isotretinoin IN my system.

First dose will be taken with dinner tonight. I'm trying to decide if I should take the full 40 mg dose tonight since I didn't get it till this afternoon? Or should I just take one 20 mg pill with dinner? Hmmm, not sure. I'm a very impatient person so I partly want to take the full dose, but I also don't want to feel ill right away. What to do...what to do...

Tonight I'm making black beans with quinoa, avocado, and sauteed Swiss chard with garlic. Yum yummers. I soaked the black beans this morning and will cook them in my pressure cooker, which makes beans in literally 8 minutes. SO FAST. They taste better than canned anyways.

We also might see The Dictator tonight, that really terrible/funny movie. I'm excited to have so much going on so it distracts from my itchy oozy face and starting the new medicine.

Wish me luck!

YAY I'm glad you got your script after dealing with the ridiculousness of iPledge! :)

Hey friends!!!!

Wish me luck!

Congrats!! You must be so excited :D You could try to take them right before bed, and then you'll hopefully sleep through any initial side effects?

I'm so happy for you Gina! Take em both! Get it over with :) your dinner sounds amazing by the way :)

Yay!! :D I'm so happy you got your prescription, Gina! I was a little worried about popping two pills at once for my first time taking it, so I waited until the next morning. I'm sure it'll be fine though!

Did you end up taking just one or both of them?

Thanks, guys! I ended up just taking one because I'm a scaredy cat. Haha Honestly I was more so trying to follow my derm's instructions to only take 1 pill twice a day to start with. It somehow felt monumental, swallowing that first pill. I was scared, but tried to calm myself down so I didn't get an upset stomach! I'm just glad it didn't taste bad like a lot of those nasty antibiotics, nor has it made my stomach hurt so far.

I do have a bit of a headache, but that's probably because this week has been suuuuper busy for me. I'm trying to manage my stress, but I have a big presentation next week that I'm barely making progress on because I can't stop chatting on these forums. Haha I love talking on here...must...find...balance!

Tomorrow! 1 pill with breakfast and 1 with dinner! :)

Day 2

Only taken 2 pills total so far. Taking another 20 mg pill tonight. My skin actually felt a bit more dry today, but nothing major yet. Probably placebo effect. Haha I took some photos to compare with 2 days ago, and whooopdeedooo...it's still the same!

I do feel a bit more fatigued today, but that could just be from school stress. I had some organic coffee with raw honey (YUM!) for the first time in a LONG time and it is helping me work through this PowerPoint presentation I'm creating. I have a big thesis practice presentation next Tuesday, and I'm only like 50% done with it so far. Rawrrr!!!

There are so many bumps everywhere, and too many cysts to count, lots of hyperpigmentation. I'm praying that I don't get bad scars. Almost all of these breakouts are from taking Bactrim and using Tazorac cream for 3 months. Before that stuff, my acne was never this bad. Also, I hope the Ortho-Tri-Cyclen starts to improve my skin since I've been taking it for a little over a month. Overall, I dislike this birth control stuff and I'll be glad to get off of it when my treatment is over. It makes me generally nauseous in the afternoon.

Trying to let my skin breath today by not wearing ANY powder on my face. I don't even care if it looks bad because I know it's going to get better.

Day 2

Only taken 2 pills total so far. Taking another 20 mg pill tonight. My skin actually felt a bit more dry today, but nothing major yet. Probably placebo effect. Haha I took some photos to compare with 2 days ago, and whooopdeedooo...it's still the same!

I do feel a bit more fatigued today, but that could just be from school stress. I had some organic coffee with raw honey (YUM!) for the first time in a LONG time and it is helping me work through this PowerPoint presentation I'm creating. I have a big thesis practice presentation next Tuesday, and I'm only like 50% done with it so far. Rawrrr!!!

There are so many bumps everywhere, and too many cysts to count, lots of hyperpigmentation. I'm praying that I don't get bad scars. Almost all of these breakouts are from taking Bactrim and using Tazorac cream for 3 months. Before that stuff, my acne was never this bad. Also, I hope the Ortho-Tri-Cyclen starts to improve my skin since I've been taking it for a little over a month. Overall, I dislike this birth control stuff and I'll be glad to get off of it when my treatment is over. It makes me generally nauseous in the afternoon.

Trying to let my skin breath today by not wearing ANY powder on my face. I don't even care if it looks bad because I know it's going to get better.

I started getting a bit of fatigue early on, but luckily it went away after a few days. Hopefully yours does the same, if it happens to be from the pills! This might be some sort of silver lining: since the Bactrim had already given you a crazy breakout, it could be possible that your IB this time will either be very light or non-existent, since most of your existing acne under the skin has been pushed out? Just an educated guess :)

Good luck on your presentation! I definitely don't miss giving those!

Day 2

Congratulations Ginanutrition!

I love your story - you definitely gave the acne fight your all! I've talked with you a bit on someone else's post but decided today to read your actual story. I'm so glad to hear that someone so educated in the world of natural medicine still made the choice to try Accutane. I certainly don't have your knowledge or degrees (mine's in elementary education) but over the course of being a mom for almost 20 years, I have become more and more nutritional educated on my own. I just bought my first bag of quinoa the other day because I keep finding recipes that call for it - haven't ventured to make anything yet because I'm not sure my family will be accepting but they are used to trying all of "mom's healthy stuff" when I experiment, so we'll see.

I am so excited for you that you've begun taking the medicine. I am also on 40 mg a day and I'm on day 18. One good thing I've been enjoying is not having to blot my greasy face a million times a day, it's sooooooooooo weird but so good. Good luck!!

Day 2

Congratulations Ginanutrition!

I love your story - you definitely gave the acne fight your all! I've talked with you a bit on someone else's post but decided today to read your actual story. I'm so glad to hear that someone so educated in the world of natural medicine still made the choice to try Accutane. I certainly don't have your knowledge or degrees (mine's in elementary education) but over the course of being a mom for almost 20 years, I have become more and more nutritional educated on my own. I just bought my first bag of quinoa the other day because I keep finding recipes that call for it - haven't ventured to make anything yet because I'm not sure my family will be accepting but they are used to trying all of "mom's healthy stuff" when I experiment, so we'll see.

I am so excited for you that you've begun taking the medicine. I am also on 40 mg a day and I'm on day 18. One good thing I've been enjoying is not having to blot my greasy face a million times a day, it's sooooooooooo weird but so good. Good luck!!

Awwww, thanks Tiger! You can just say your degree is in Momology. Haha! Seriously, I think being a Mom is really hard, and I do look forward to it. A lot of it is making sure your family eats and grows well, so I'm happy to hear that you've taught yourself a lot about nutrition. :) Quinoa is SO delicious! I even eat it for breakfast sometimes. I'll take some leftover cooked quinoa from the fridge and either eat it cold with almond milk, almond butter, cinnamon, banana or other fruit, or I'll heat it up in the winter and eat it like oatmeal. YUM!

The interesting thing about natural medicine and Accutane is that several of my nutrition colleagues have taken this medicine because nothing else worked. They all have beautiful skin now. That small parcel of information keeps me motivated.

The weird thing about my skin is that although it's covered with acne, it's actually not super oily. It used to be INSANELY oily a few years ago and I was blotting 2-3 times a day, but now, I never blot. If anything, I have to keep it moisturized with oil-free moisturizers or else it gets peely and gross. For the most part, I am able to go to bed just washing my face with Cerave hydrating face wash and not moisturize. I usually wake up oily. I hope that part changes...

I just worked out at the gym and am now enjoying a smoothie! After my shower, I used Olay spf 15 sensitive skin, and it actually felt a lot nicer than my more expensive Boscia spf 15. Starting to think that more expensive moisturizers are kind of pointless...

Day 2

I started getting a bit of fatigue early on, but luckily it went away after a few days. Hopefully yours does the same, if it happens to be from the pills! This might be some sort of silver lining: since the Bactrim had already given you a crazy breakout, it could be possible that your IB this time will either be very light or non-existent, since most of your existing acne under the skin has been pushed out? Just an educated guess smile.png

Good luck on your presentation! I definitely don't miss giving those!

Thanks, Lily! Yeah, presentations suck, especially when you're trying not to think about people looking at your skin. I will just wow them with my wit and intellect. I had this Cell Biology professor once who was physically deformed. Like he literally did not walk normally and had to wear different height shoes because of his skeletal deformity. Yet he was the funniest, smartest, most humble professor I've ever had. He made everything super interesting and made you think. It made me feel more comfortable about any physical weirdness, because he did such a great job of focusing on other aspects of himself that people had no room to even make comments about his body.

That's good to know about the fatigue. Exercising definitely gave me more energy today, but I also know I should take it easy this first week as my body is adjusting. I am praying that my acne doesn't explode even more. My derm said I had a "sudden onset of severe nodulocystic acne," or "acne fulminans." It happened after we traveled to London and Italy, so we thought there may have been some bacterial upset. She wasn't sure though. Whatever the hell this is, I just hope Accutane zaps it.

Day 4

I don't want to jinx this, but my cheeks are actually starting to feel less bumpy today! I hope it continues and I don't get an initial breakout because I was already broken out when I started this medicine. I'm wondering if the anti-inflammatory effects are already kicking in? I have this terrible cyst on my right lower chin/cheek that has gone down A BIT, but not flattened completely. Other cysts on the jawline, neck, and one on the forehead are still there of course.

My eyes were a bit red because I already have dry eyes, so I've been putting lubricating drops in a lot and it seems to help. My lips aren't more dry than normal today, and I was actually pretty oily today (both skin and hair). I had to shower TWICE because I felt so gross, so I'm wondering when the dryness will start. I even washed my face with Cerave Foaming face wash at night because it got all the oiliness, powder, and sunscreen off really well. I love Cerave. :)

I cut my hands pretty easily while making some crafty stuff with friends for a film we were making. It was really odd since I don't cut easily. Then I cut my finger on those STOOOOOPID pill boxes as I was taking all of the pills out and putting into an old Vitamin A supplement container. Haha I thought it would be funny to make myself feel like I'm just taking a supplement. I even made it happy looking by wrapping bright blue tape around the bottle so it looks totally happy + ghetto. Hooray for no longer having to punch each pill out everyday with the weird ex-ed out preggo lady.

I'm also experimenting eating more foods since I'm less afraid they're going to break me out. I ate some goat yogurt because I don't do well with cow's milk products, and so far, so good! I know some people might think goat yogurt is weird, but it's sooooo good when it's the only yogurt you can have. I had it with fresh strawberries and raspberries. Yum!

Hope everyone else is doing well. :)

haha our first weeks are almost identical i was pretty oily my first week too but my dryness didn't start until the beginning of this week (2nd week), my lips are really dry, so far no break out though hope it continues!

1 person likes this

Day 4

I don't want to jinx this, but my cheeks are actually starting to feel less bumpy today! I hope it continues and I don't get an initial breakout because I was already broken out when I started this medicine. I'm wondering if the anti-inflammatory effects are already kicking in? I have this terrible cyst on my right lower chin/cheek that has gone down A BIT, but not flattened completely. Other cysts on the jawline, neck, and one on the forehead are still there of course.

My eyes were a bit red because I already have dry eyes, so I've been putting lubricating drops in a lot and it seems to help. My lips aren't more dry than normal today, and I was actually pretty oily today (both skin and hair). I had to shower TWICE because I felt so gross, so I'm wondering when the dryness will start. I even washed my face with Cerave Foaming face wash at night because it got all the oiliness, powder, and sunscreen off really well. I love Cerave. smile.png

I cut my hands pretty easily while making some crafty stuff with friends for a film we were making. It was really odd since I don't cut easily. Then I cut my finger on those STOOOOOPID pill boxes as I was taking all of the pills out and putting into an old Vitamin A supplement container. Haha I thought it would be funny to make myself feel like I'm just taking a supplement. I even made it happy looking by wrapping bright blue tape around the bottle so it looks totally happy + ghetto. Hooray for no longer having to punch each pill out everyday with the weird ex-ed out preggo lady.

I'm also experimenting eating more foods since I'm less afraid they're going to break me out. I ate some goat yogurt because I don't do well with cow's milk products, and so far, so good! I know some people might think goat yogurt is weird, but it's sooooo good when it's the only yogurt you can have. I had it with fresh strawberries and raspberries. Yum!

Hope everyone else is doing well. smile.png

Hi Ginanutrition ninja girl! :)

I am so glad you are feeling like the medicine is clearing you up! I am still struggling with breaking out but all things considered it could be worse. I have two healing cysts that of course I had to pop and they turned into icky little wounds and are taking forever to heal. We went to a soccer party for my son yesterday and I was so self concious of my poor little chin, all the other mommies have gorgeous skin, it sucks. Halfway through the party I had to do some repair in the bathroom and one of them started to bleed and I was in a total panic! But I did some deep breathing and got through it. People who have never had acne would never understand, it is so horrible. But as I told Betsy and Taylor, my son was awarded by his teammates the Sportsmanship award so that's what really mattered and it was awesome. Take that acne, you don't own my happiness!!

I feel like I got a little oilier when I first started too. I'm not overly dry on my face now but definitely dryer than I ever have been which is really nice. I don't have to blot my face a million times a day which is awesome. Sometimes I would be busy and not blot enough and my face would actually look wet - ewwwww! Glad to have that gone for now.

I love your pill box story! I'm actually sticking with the dumb boxes because I get so much satisfaction ripping that stupid picture off the pill and then I really love it when I finish a box and get to throw it in the trash - sooooooo satisfying. We all have our coping mechanisms, ha, ha!

I've never had goat yogurt but when my son was little I was concerned he had a milk allergy so I fed him goat's milk instead for a while. He loved it. :) I'm glad you're doing well for now - I hope your oil dries up soon. I love reading your posts because you have such a positive attitude and it makes me feel better and more positive, so thanks!

1 person likes this

Day 4

My eyes were a bit red because I already have dry eyes, so I've been putting lubricating drops in a lot and it seems to help. My lips aren't more dry than normal today, and I was actually pretty oily today (both skin and hair). I had to shower TWICE because I felt so gross, so I'm wondering when the dryness will start. I even washed my face with Cerave Foaming face wash at night because it got all the oiliness, powder, and sunscreen off really well. I love Cerave. smile.png

Hi Ginanutrition ninja girl! smile.png

I am so glad you are feeling like the medicine is clearing you up! I am still struggling with breaking out but all things considered it could be worse. I have two healing cysts that of course I had to pop and they turned into icky little wounds and are taking forever to heal. We went to a soccer party for my son yesterday and I was so self concious of my poor little chin, all the other mommies have gorgeous skin, it sucks. Halfway through the party I had to do some repair in the bathroom and one of them started to bleed and I was in a total panic! But I did some deep breathing and got through it. People who have never had acne would never understand, it is so horrible. But as I told Betsy and Taylor, my son was awarded by his teammates the Sportsmanship award so that's what really mattered and it was awesome. Take that acne, you don't own my happiness!!

I feel like I got a little oilier when I first started too. I'm not overly dry on my face now but definitely dryer than I ever have been which is really nice. I don't have to blot my face a million times a day which is awesome. Sometimes I would be busy and not blot enough and my face would actually look wet - ewwwww! Glad to have that gone for now.

I love your pill box story! I'm actually sticking with the dumb boxes because I get so much satisfaction ripping that stupid picture off the pill and then I really love it when I finish a box and get to throw it in the trash - sooooooo satisfying. We all have our coping mechanisms, ha, ha!

I've never had goat yogurt but when my son was little I was concerned he had a milk allergy so I fed him goat's milk instead for a while. He loved it. smile.png I'm glad you're doing well for now - I hope your oil dries up soon. I love reading your posts because you have such a positive attitude and it makes me feel better and more positive, so thanks!

Hey Tiger! Aww, you are so sweet. :) I was actually a lot more down on myself this past year before I finally took the accutane plunge. Taking this medicine has greatly improved my attitude.

I actually *almost* kept all the boxes intact so I could throw away each one with a sense of completion, like you. But I'm a really impatient person and I hated spending each morning and evening cooking and then trying to bust out one pill. I'm a lot happier on a day to day basis taking pills out of my happy blue bottle. Haha

That sucks about having to perform some damage control in the bathroom on your healing cysts. :( Is there a particular reason you popped them? Did they have pus and needed to be drained? I had to make a rule for myself to only drain pimples and cysts if they popped during washing my face. As in, the pus has to already be coming out for me to lightly press a clean tissue around the skin to drain the contents. Then I apply Polysporin. It's friggin' gross, but I find scabbing and scarring aren't as bad that way. I still have cysts that continue to refill even after draining. That's been, the most frustrating part about my acne. It is very deep, so I feel your pain. It gives me great satisfaction to read on the Accutane box: "For severe cystic (nodular) acne that is recalcitrant towards other therapies, including antibiotics." I read that and go, "YEAH, BUDDY! That's what I got and that's why I'm taking this!" Hahaha In a weird way, this medicine feels so much better than antibiotics--those reallllyyyyy hurt my stomach.

Day 5

Seriously, tons of the smaller pimples on my cheeks have gone down. My face is beginning to have a pink tint, and my face is definitely drier today. I'm hoping to stay on 40 mg as of right now, because no major side effects except a bit of fatigue, but nothing good rest, home cooked meals, green tea, and occasional coffee (1-3 times a week) can't fix. :) I had a fantastic work out at the gym today and was very productive overall. I don't feel like this medicine has interfered with my life (yet)...

My current skincare regimen is:

AM

Cerave Hydrating Face Wash

Boscia oil-free spf 15, sometimes Oil of Olay Spf 15 sensitive skin

Physician's Formula talc-free mineral powder

PM

Cerave Foaming Face Wash

Boscia oil-free nightly hydrator

Polysporin on any broken skin or popped spots

A prayer and a smile before bed! Let's hope I don't have an IB. So far, so good!

2 people like this

Hi :) Good luck to you with accutane! How are you liking the Boscia so far?

Day 4

Hi Ginanutrition ninja girl! smile.png

I've never had goat yogurt but when my son was little I was concerned he had a milk allergy so I fed him goat's milk instead for a while. He loved it. smile.png I'm glad you're doing well for now - I hope your oil dries up soon. I love reading your posts because you have such a positive attitude and it makes me feel better and more positive, so thanks!

Hey Tiger! Aww, you are so sweet. smile.png I was actually a lot more down on myself this past year before I finally took the accutane plunge. Taking this medicine has greatly improved my attitude.

I actually *almost* kept all the boxes intact so I could throw away each one with a sense of completion, like you. But I'm a really impatient person and I hated spending each morning and evening cooking and then trying to bust out one pill. I'm a lot happier on a day to day basis taking pills out of my happy blue bottle. Haha

That sucks about having to perform some damage control in the bathroom on your healing cysts. sad.png Is there a particular reason you popped them? Did they have pus and needed to be drained? I had to make a rule for myself to only drain pimples and cysts if they popped during washing my face. As in, the pus has to already be coming out for me to lightly press a clean tissue around the skin to drain the contents. Then I apply Polysporin. It's friggin' gross, but I find scabbing and scarring aren't as bad that way. I still have cysts that continue to refill even after draining. That's been, the most frustrating part about my acne. It is very deep, so I feel your pain. It gives me great satisfaction to read on the Accutane box: "For severe cystic (nodular) acne that is recalcitrant towards other therapies, including antibiotics." I read that and go, "YEAH, BUDDY! That's what I got and that's why I'm taking this!" Hahaha In a weird way, this medicine feels so much better than antibiotics--those reallllyyyyy hurt my stomach.

Day 5

Seriously, tons of the smaller pimples on my cheeks have gone down. My face is beginning to have a pink tint, and my face is definitely drier today. I'm hoping to stay on 40 mg as of right now, because no major side effects except a bit of fatigue, but nothing good rest, home cooked meals, green tea, and occasional coffee (1-3 times a week) can't fix. smile.png I had a fantastic work out at the gym today and was very productive overall. I don't feel like this medicine has interfered with my life (yet)...

My current skincare regimen is:

AM

Cerave Hydrating Face Wash

Boscia oil-free spf 15, sometimes Oil of Olay Spf 15 sensitive skin

Physician's Formula talc-free mineral powder

PM

Cerave Foaming Face Wash

Boscia oil-free nightly hydrator

Polysporin on any broken skin or popped spots

A prayer and a smile before bed! Let's hope I don't have an IB. So far, so good!

You have more willpower than me, that's for sure! One of my healers I tried excavating before it was ready because I basically just gave in to my frustration and the pain of it was making me nuts. The other one went on it's own and of course is healing faster. I am a very patient person but I just cannot seem to control keeping my hands off myface. I'll keep trying though!

I'm glad to hear you're still doing great. I will keep hoping you skip the IB, it truly sucks!

I also saw the description on the box about it being for severe nodular/cystic acne that is recalcitrant - that's me too! I know it's going to work, it's just going to take time. It will be so much better once the breaking out stops. Keep taking such good care of yourself, that totally makes a difference.

1 person likes this

Glad to hear things are going well so far. Fingers crossed it all keeps getting better and better. :)

1 person likes this

Hi smile.png Good luck to you with accutane! How are you liking the Boscia so far?

LOVE BOSCIA! Very gentle, non-irritating, clean, feels good, non-oily. I tried all those Cerave and Cetaphil products and they were just wayyy too greasy for me. I also tried natural moisturizers and all the oils were too greasy as well and broke me out. Boscia has natural ingredients and anti-irritants. They are made in Japan using special technology that keeps all the products free from contamination, so they don't have to use preservatives. They're expensive, but worth it to me.

EMBARRASSING PHOTO UPDATE TIME!!! omg ahhhhhh

Day 6. First 2 photos were taken this morning and the last 2 were taken at the start of my treatment. Lots of bumps have disappeared, despite still having cysts. Looaadddss of hyper-pigmentation, but hoping that will fade with time. Also can see the slight pink tint to my skin. I'm just really happy with some stuff going down so far. The difference might not be apparent to others, but I feel the difference when I wash my face. Skin is a lot smoother!

Hope you're all doing well.