Photo

Laser Treatments - Please Reply!

laser acne scar rolling boxcar surgery chemical peel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 free falling

free falling

Veteran

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hey, this site is looking to be my only hope for some influential guidance through endless scar treatments. I have some money saved up though and I'm thinking about buying a laser treatment(s) for myself. I'm 18 and I have rolling scars on my cheeks but mostly boxcar scars.

I want to know which laser treatment is good and effective but one that won't leave me with burn marks.. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on lasers in the past and I've actually seen burn marks on people who've done the treatment. I'm really scared of the outcome actually.

I'm thinking about going to south coast med spa for my treatment, and I think they only offer C02 laser treatment; I heard that it was the best.

I also read on their site that there is a very limited, if any, risk that is taken in the procedure. But I don't think I can believe that.

I'm also thinking about chemical peels but I think they might be to rough on my skin and have a higher chance of scaring it then the laser treatment.

Also I have acne still but its not as bad as before. After it clears up a little I want to go get my treatment done. Since I'm 18, how long should I wait? Can I do my treatment with active acne or am I putting myself at risk for burn marks?

Please help me! I'm lost. I can upload pictures if requested

Edited by free falling, 07 May 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#3 SoontobeMD

SoontobeMD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

I would suggest posting a picture of your scars so we can be of better help. If you have active acne they may not decide to give you CO2 laser treatment unless you go on some antibiotics first to get the acne under control. Subcision is also an effective method of reducing rolling scarring and can be done with active acne.

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Seriously, forget lasers for scarring. They don't help much, if at all. They won't get rid of saucers or boxscars at all. You need subcision for saucers and probably excision for boxscars and then you can get laser to smooth it all out --- if you even need it. Also, subcision is less expensive.

You can't get lasers with active acne. You could scar more.

#5 free falling

free falling

Veteran

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Also, subcision is less expensive.
You can't get lasers with active acne. You could scar more.

This is what I'm afraid of so for sure be waiting at least another year. I don't know what subcision is but I read about it and it sounds painful and dangerous. They stick you to let the blood flow into the spot right?

I would suggest posting a picture of your scars so we can be of better help. Subcision is also an effective method of reducing rolling scarring and can be done with active acne.

Ok I can post pictures, they will be up soon. I'm hearing a lot about subcision so its gaining my interest, thanks. I'm still wondering how much the treatments go for though, I know lasers go for around 3k each.

>won't leave me with burn marks.
This is just a risk associated with lasers, no one can say for sure it's not going to burn you, but the risk isn't too high, it's mainly a loud minority. What's your skin type? That's a risk factor.

>C02 laser treatment
is not really helpful, it could mean several, phone up and ask what the laser they use is called.

You shouldn't treat while you still have active acne, not at all. badbad.

For your rolling scars you might want to consider subcision, and then Fraxel Re:Pair to finish off. Re:Pair for your boxcars too, obviously. 1 treatment is not enough, you will need several, so don't give up.

How severe are your scars? Objectively speaking, I mean.

thats funny that you say its mainly just the loud minority, you calmed my fears for the moment :). I hear that 1 treatment isn't enough and I'm willing to spend at least/most 9k$ on it if I see the slightest improvement from the first 3 months. Thats pretty much I'll I think is worth spending my money on.. besides rent and stuff. I don't care about where I live or what car I drive though if I can help my skin tbh. Actually I've never cars nor do I have many wants so it shouldn't be a problem getting several treatments. Will subscision really help though before laser? Or can laser do the same thing as subscision? I wish someone could take my place for figuring all this stuff out.. It feels like a lot of pressure and when I go through it, if it doesn't turn out good, I'll have to live with my decisions.

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

>>>>I don't know what subcision is but I read about it and it sounds painful and dangerous. They stick you to let the blood flow into the spot right?>>
It's using a very fine needle to undermine the tethered down scar tissue so it lifts up to the level of normal skin. There are tons of threads on the scar subforum that you can read, with pics and personal experiences. I've heard it's not that painful and it's definitely not dangerous. The only danger is reaction to the local anesthetic or infection which you'd have with lasers as well.

#7 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

The only danger is reaction to the local anesthetic or infection

And nodules.

Will subscision really help though before laser? Or can laser do the same thing as subscision?

It can, yeah, I'm just a fan of both procedures, and there's nothing wrong with attacking something from 2 angles.

Seriously, forget lasers for scarring. They don't help much, if at all. They won't get rid of saucers or boxscars at all.

You're silly.

Yes, and nodules.

I'm silly? Go to the scar forum and see how many people had either no improvement from lasers, or worse -- they had permanent damage like more scarring, hyperpigmentation, fat loss etc.

I've only seen ONE person who has had good results, according to them (no pics) and they've had like 8 procedures, so one every year or something like that, so I do hope they have results, but can't rule out microswelling. Also go to RealSelf. com and look at how well lasers worked for those people. Most had no improvement and a lot had permanent damage. Then come back and tell me how silly I am.

#9 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

#10 free falling

free falling

Veteran

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

yah prettywords is the kind of person that makes me afraid of laser treatment. theres a lot of positive reviews though

#11 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

yah prettywords is the kind of person that makes me afraid of laser treatment. theres a lot of positive reviews though

go research, you'll find a lot of reviews... if prettywords makes you afraid of laser treatment, then you'll be surprised to know how many people would scar you after you finish your study...lol anything you do, good luck =)

I'm silly? Go to the scar forum and see how many people had either no improvement from lasers, or worse -- they had permanent damage like more scarring, hyperpigmentation, fat loss etc.

I've only seen ONE person who has had good results, according to them (no pics) and they've had like 8 procedures, so one every year or something like that, so I do hope they have results, but can't rule out microswelling. Also go to RealSelf. com and look at how well lasers worked for those people. Most had no improvement and a lot had permanent damage. Then come back and tell me how silly I am.

Well if you wanna talk about RealSelves.. I see 66% positive for the generic category 'laser resurfacing', 56% for Fraxel Re:Pair, and I know for a fact that atleast one of them didn't even have Re:Pair, and I'd wager there are a handful that had re:store instead.. That's not 'most'. There are risks, as with everything, but you blow them way out of proportion. A person who had a bad experience is far, far more likely to review, too, which is something to take into account. The ones who had 'no improvement' are the tossers that don't understand the concept of cumulative results. They're not an instant cure, they shouldn't be reviewed as such.

If you've only seen one person who's had results, you need to use google.

You're silly.

Nope.avi, did you have any laser treatments? did it improve your scars...?

Edited by myskin2012, 08 May 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#12 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

#13 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Well if you wanna talk about RealSelves.. I see 66% positive for the generic category 'laser resurfacing', 56% for Fraxel Re:Pair, and I know for a fact that atleast one of them didn't even have Re:Pair, and I'd wager there are a handful that had re:store instead.. That's not 'most'. There are risks, as with everything, but you blow them way out of proportion. A person who had a bad experience is far, far more likely to review, too, which is something to take into account. The ones who had 'no improvement' are the tossers that don't understand the concept of cumulative results. They're not an instant cure, they shouldn't be reviewed as such.

If you've only seen one person who's had results, you need to use google.

You're silly.

Many of those positive reviews are from microswelling and a lot of people come back saying it did basically nothing once its subsided.

It's my opinion after seeing so many people not get results from laser, or worse get damage, that it's not a great treatment for scarring.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop calling me 'silly.' It's against forum rules to name call.

#14 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to give a positive spin to lasers, but Re:pair is the only thing that has worked for me. Get your acne under control before you do anything. I would bet that the rating on RealSelf is from people who have only done one treatment, and that was probably done at 40-50mj. One treatment resulted in about a 30% improvement, and it was Dr Persky on RealSelf who said it takes multiple treatments of Re:pair for acne scars, and he was right. It was because of the 30% overall improvement plus the virtual elimination of 2 non-acne scars, that were easy to pinpoint their location, that made me a believer. People who have not done Re:pair work on anecdotal evidence and warn people away from a treatment that will help them. It is almost like they want to keep you in the hole they're in. IF you can do Re:pair, run, don't walk, to do it. All of my Re:pairs have been done at 70mj, so that is some ammunition for when you talk to a doctor. I have been playing this game longer than you have been alive. You will notice I only mention Re:pair and don't use the F word(Fraxel) because the other F lasers are useless for acne scars. See a Plastic Surgeon, not a derm. Here is a link for a ton of laser info. Some of the links may be dead because I have been too involved to update the thread. I am watching a new laser from Lumenis called SCAAR FX, but there is insufficient information out there yet. If this passes reviews it could be the laser for you, but I don't know.
http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/

#15 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't want people to be 'in the hole I'm in' I've just seen too many people, besides you, who have had bad or no results. I could easily afford lasers, I'm just wary of them.

#16 SoontobeMD

SoontobeMD

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

The science behind lasers is sound. When used at a high enough setting it can certainly promote collagen formation and help reduce the appearance of acne scars. That being said, it is one of the most dangerous procedures, and that is something you MUST be aware of when going about getting a deep treatment like CO2 or Fraxel Repair at a high setting.

In my opinion everyone should visit this site before undergoing laser treatment so that you are fully aware of what the risks are. These may be the vocal minority as someone has previously stated, but the risk is there. Good luck with whatever treatment you pursue.

http://iplandlaserda...t.prophpbb.com/

If you have rolling scars subcision is a far less dangerous procedure when performed by a skilled surgeon.

#17 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

OK Doc what is the percent of complications compared to other surgeries? That site also has a nice section for snake oil remedies that you know don't work, and half of them are pushed on this site. I have said many times that Re:pair is not for everybody, but for those that can tolerate it nothing really compares. Do you know the science behind SCAAR FX? There is very little information available. If you look at my signature you will see that I have gone with the biggies in scar treatment and I also wasted my time with the dermaroller and copper peptides. I would prefer to refer people to sites like this for their information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2921736/

#18 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

everybody has their own opinions, and everyone has the right to tell or share their opinions here...if there is only one opinion for one treatment, then it's not really helpful...and i know we are all here to help others and yourself, so no need for name calling or treating others negatively.

at the end of the day, everyone has to research by themselves, because it's YOUR skin. you must to be willing to listening both positive and negative side of the treatment. if you don't pay an attention to risks or negative feedback, then what if your treatment fails and your skin got more damaged...? who will be responsible? it's not your doctor, people here on forum, positive reviewers, or people who recommended you to get the treatment. it's YOU.so you'll need to study hard! go to many forums or site, see professional and ask your derms, read both bad and good reviews and stories. read articles or any clinical studies about it. don't just go get treatment, because you have money and you saw positive reviews or comments. remember, everybody's skin react differently!

as much as i want to try laser treatment again, i am too scared of the risks come with it. although i haven't had 'repair', i had failed 'restore' and ipl laser treatments. no improvement at all on my scars. but i know both lasers defiantly made my skin EXTREMELY sensitive...i paid money to make my skin worse...i wish i didn't...!

Edited by myskin2012, 09 May 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#19 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Nope.avi, did you have any laser treatments? did it improve your scars...?

I haven't had re:pair but the science is sound, which is why I have plans to, regardless of how much I push microneedling - it's just a poor man's alternative, the principles behind re:pair and PCI are the same.

it's really expensive treatment i agree Posted Image ...but i guess it's not just only repair, any laser treatments are so pricy.

Please help me! I'm lost. I can upload pictures if requested

many knowledgeable people on this site, so it's a good idea to post your pictures of your skin, so they can give you more advices. i am sure it'll help you =)

Edited by myskin2012, 09 May 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#20 Ny212

Ny212

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Has anyone ever tried the ECO2 laser by lutronic? I am looking into this and any information is greatly appreciated!