Proactiv Or Birth Control?

3 replies to this topic

#1 selfinflictedx

selfinflictedx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

I used proactiv for a year and it was the only thing i tried for my acne. It worked with a few pimples here and there. Then i decided to switch to regular acne face washes they sell at walmart. I had the worst acne of my life.

Months later i started taking triness (birth control) but started using the proactiv again around the same time. My face was the clearest its been since i was 10. Only time i would get a pimple was around my period. 

a few weeks ago i stopped taking the bc but continued the proactiv. I broke out on one of my cheeks very bad. Two weeks later i went back on wondering if the bc cleared me up. No more new pimples and that terrible one is healing.

So im thinking the birth control is helping with the acne so it must be hormonal. 
Do you think its the birth control thats keeping my face nice, or the proactiv?

Im wondering if i could continue my bc, but slowly ween myself off proactiv to another cheaper less harsh product and still keep my clear complexion.. please help :(

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

If your acne is hormonal, then you need to treat it with a hormonal treatment. ProActive is not a hormonal treatment. Birth control is.

You'll find many women stay on birth control or spironolactone long-term to keep their skin clear. Personally I am on spiro.

#3 HelloLovve

HelloLovve

Life is a storm

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

I was on Yaz BC for a long time and my skin was gorgeous!! I loved it. If you have no reason to go off the BCP's, DON'T. I'm sure that's what is keeping you clear. As for your cleanser, I don't think you necessarily need the ProActiv. I stopped using a product specifically for acne, and just used a cleanser that would clean my skin. I personally like the Olay Regenerist cleansers. A little pricey, but WAY cheaper than ProActiv.

#4 ohmygod

ohmygod

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

ProActive is a SCAM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users