Photo

Tearing Your Skin Off

scarring welts pain pus drainage gaping wound treatment swelling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 clara27

clara27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Okay, so I didn't know where else to go, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever become so preoccupied with a blemish that they've torn the skin off,only to have a gaping, freakish wound on their face which they were (as I am now) utterly unsure of how to treat,,,

ps-I'm 26 so I hope I'm, sort of in the right forum...

#2 smik

smik

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Wow...no, never. Sounds like a horrifying self-multilation. Maybe you should see a doctor...

#3 clara27

clara27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

It's more like something I picked at way too much. I can't be the only one here who picks...?

#4 Chinup89

Chinup89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

As gross as it is. Yea I've broken my face a lot over the years. Gotten better at not picking now though. I treat it just by putting some manuka honey on it during the day and sticking a plaster on it so I don't look at it. Or I just sit with moisturizer on it as I found if I keep it moist, it's less likely to scar. This is when a scab has formed.
Or you could put try putting some neosporin on it, that would help kill any bacteria and help it heal.
Don't pick at it again, let it scab over and start to heal. Don't force the scab off until it falls off naturally. It'll be less likely to scar.

Edited by Chinup89, 06 May 2012 - 05:55 AM.

"help me help myself, so that i may help others. help me realize my true beauty. help me ask for what i know i deserve. help me give more, worry less and love myself"

#5 KATE75

KATE75

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Clara27 - you are defintely not alone in doing that at all. I used to do that quite regularly when I had some cystic acne. I would delibrately try to make the spot scab over so it would heal faster as the cysts would hang around forever otherwise and I couldn't handle it. The end result however has been that although I no longer have bad acne on my chin it is unfortunately very scarred (which is a whole seperate issue I now have to deal with).

i would take Chinup89's advice and cover it with a plaster (while you are indoors anyway!) it will at least prevent you from looking at it in the mirror all the time (which is what I used to do!). Apart from that there is really not a lot more you can do until the scab falls off.

My Regimen

Morning & Evening

Wash my face with "Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel"

Apply 1 pump of Dan's BP to my chin area

Moisturise using "Eucerin Replenishing Face Cream"

Diet

No dairy products

Eat plenty of fresh vegetables (especially leafy, dark greens)

2 litres of water per day.

#6 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

oo yeah.... i've done that.

i had a pimple which wasnt ready to pop, so it was deep under the skin. i got so pissed off when it didnt pop so i just literally scratched my skin off. looked so bad, but it heals up within 1 week.

#7 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

If havent ever 'torn my skin off', sounds painful and scary, but Ive messed with it and made it worse when I shouldnt have.
Instead of a band aid(plaster?) maybe you should dab some clay or sulfer masque on the spot, that way you cant see it is red, and you wont be tempted to touch it. Band aids often irritate the skin in my experience. At least with the masque or honey youre getting a benefit also.

#8 wingedserpent

wingedserpent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Just a word about the Manuka honey. You must make sure that it's medical grade honey if you intend to put it on wounds. Otherwise it isn't sterile and you can end up with a nasty infection. This really goes for any 'natural' recipes that you put on open cuts or wounds. Only put sterilized applications on them.

#9 Emma_86

Emma_86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just posted a new post on how to help heal my current scab I have on my chin in a different section, So I know how you feel.
My name's Emma, I'm 25 and I'm a picker. There should be a (Acne Anoymous) group ;). I know I shouldn't pick, and every time I say it's the last time I will, but then I start picking again! Anyway, I now have quite a few scars because of this and I'm currently habouring a massive scab on my chin! Damn you scab!

Anyway, the only advice I can give you and should learn to take myself is to keep your hands occupied with something else, so you are less likely to pick, whether it's playing on your PS3 or a creative hobby ( I do bead embroidery so that helps me)
Whatever you do leave it alone! I know it's hard, believe me, but I'm refraining from looking in mirrors unless absolutely necessary, cause for me that's when I start to analyse and touch my skin and then that leads to picking in the hope it will make it better, but it only ever makes it worse.

Hope you can stop picking, and stay strong, Acne is the worst, and people who never had it bad, don't realise how bad it can make you feel. This forum is a briliant support. :)

#10 PowderedPeach

PowderedPeach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hey!

I'm not a picker, but I had a similar experience as a response to mixing the wrong at-home treatments while I was using acne medications when I was younger.

What I did was apply Polysporin to protect and disinfect the area as needed after cleansing the skin with a nonmedicated facial wash. You could also use Bacitracin, but I would stay away from Neosporin because it contain neomycin, which causes dermatitis in many people. A lot of people have no problem with it, but I don't think it's worth it when you're trying to heal. Then once the skin forms over it, I would protect it well with a physical sunscreen like zinc oxide to prevent scarring and hyperpigmentation.

You can also take Advil if you feel like the area's already become inflamed, but since NSAIDs can cause ulcers and other problems if you take them too often. That's really like a one-time-pointer.

I know that it's tempting to pick, but it's extremely addictive and can become its own disorder. It's called acne excoriee, and it's actually related to OCD. There are lots of ways to break the cycle like keeping a stress ball with you or using masks whenever you have the urge to pick. Maybe indulging in a professional facial once a month or getting cortisone shots when you have a large pimple could help keep you from fixating on the breakouts in the future.

Hope this helps! Not trying to sound preachy, so I hope you're not offended. I just know we all want great skin, and it's hard to get there when you pick to the point that it's inflicting damage.

#11 acnesince13

acnesince13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yes, I do and still do it. I know I shouldn't but I can't stand having them, and perhaps cling to a hope that someday they'll be able to treat my scars. With cysts I try to do this (gross stuff ahead) today I picked out and managed to squeeze out some blood/sebum/keratin, whatever, at least I got rid of it, even if I have a scar.

#12 jonesbev

jonesbev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

hi.. if your 26 and acne is just getting more and more.. try consulting to your obgyne, you might have PCO or have you ever heard of it?
pimple_free_face

#13 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

i'm a horrible picker and i have done that to my face a billion times. i have OCD and i'm very very critical of my skin. i'm currently trying to banish this problem. i have about 4 post it notes on my mirror that are there to help me stop picking. i also try to make myself stand no closer to the mirror than the edge of the sink (still having issues with that) and i wear a rubber band on my wrist and snap it any time i have the urge to inspect my face or think about anything related to pimples. my left arm looks like i'm a cutter and it's even bruised. another plus because i am embarrassed of my arm now so maybe i will stop to make it heal lol. i did pop 2 pimples today but they were begging for it.

in the past, i would put some honey on an open wound like you described and it seemed to help greatly. i didn't get manuka, i just used basic honey in my cabinet and it worked fine. i never put bandaids on. sulfur helps. and clean & clear popped pimple cream is pretty effing amazing! =)

#14 lovelymumzie

lovelymumzie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

ugh....I know what your going through.....cyst acne drives me crazy! It hurts and you just want to get the gunk out of your face! When I have those moments when I feel the need to "rip the flesh" off my face I get an ice cube and smother the cyst until I can't take it anymore.... It can reduce the inflammation and ease the pain of the cyst itself.....I avoid the actual picking unless you know for ablsolute certainty that your able to release some of that pressure out...just be careful not to create a scar......and find a spot treatment gel.....(again picking is a last resort..you don't want lingering scars) take care.