Photo

can you get sick from detoxing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:33 PM

about two weeks ago i started on this regimen:

morning:
1 tbsp ACV and maple syrup
1 tbsp barley green
3 Primal Defense tablets

afternoon:
3 Primal Defense
1/2 cup Kefir with Flax, Cod, Primrose, Borage oils

night:
3 Primal Defense

after about a week i started to get sore throat and then had flu-like symptoms. i ran a high fever and was seriously congested for more than a week. all the while i got sick i quit all supplements. this has been the slowest recovery i have ever had.

could it have been all the supplements i took? i didn't start slowly on Primal Defense...just jumped up to 9 tablets at first but i'm doubtful that it could have been linked to me getting sick.

i'm afraid to start all this again.

#2 modest mouse

modest mouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:55 AM

make sure you do a bowel cleanse before any other cleanses so that the toxins wont get stuck in your congested body and reobsorbed into your blood stream.

#3 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:09 AM

That's very common. From what you've said about how clogged up you are in your intestinal tract, this isn't surprising at all. If you can tough it out, you ought to. I know it's terrible, but from what you've said before about being on accutane, antibiotics, etc....this is what happens to almost everyone who goes on a deep detox.

Here is the definition of what you are going through (although this is referring to treating people with lyme disease, this is what everyone goes through when they are detoxing. Depending upon how bad your body is infected with various pathogens, bacteria, etc.....you will have a herx when doing a detox):

Herxheimer Reaction:

The Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction otherwise known as “herxing� is a common phenomenon in patients being treated for Lyme Disease or any of its coinfections. Generally it is a temporary worsening of symptoms after beginning antibiotics that can occur for a day, a week, several weeks or even months. To date, it is thought that the Herxheimer reaction is due to bacterial “die off� and the release of endotoxins by the bacteria as they are exposed to the antibiotics in the blood. These endotoxins can cause severe joint and muscle pain, headaches, fever, chills, abdominal discomfort, decrease in blood pressure, hives or peculiar rashes. They can become lodged in tissues and remain as irritants for many days or weeks.

The Herxheimer reaction can be very discouraging to patients as they progress on antibiotic therapy and may be better viewed as a “good sign� that the bacteria are being successfully killed off. There are a number of natural therapies that can aid patients in this detoxing process specifically designed to support the liver and intestines which are significantly stressed by repeated antibiotic use. This is precisely where the integration of conventional and complimentary medicine meet and work synergistically to minimize symptoms in Lyme patients, and maximize health recovery and a sense of well being. Dr. Sabovic and Dr. Marra combine their unique medical backgrounds to deliver state of the art integrated health care.

Next time you do a detox, you may want to go a bit slower, if you want to keep the Herxheimer to a milder form.

Here is something else:

Lymphatic Drainage:This can be accompanied by daily walks, bouncing (not jumping) on a mini trampoline or bouncing onthe edge of the bed for twenty minutes daily. Detoxification may produce symptoms of headaches, nausea, malaise and vomiting due to the toxins being released (Herxheimer Reaction).If this occurs, one should back off the program and proceed slowly. Proceeding too fast with detoxification can have disastrous results when toxins are released into the circulation. Our body should be primed and ready to eliminate toxins before they arereleased. We do this by getting the bowels working, keeping the skin clean and getting the kidneys and lungs operating. Only by having all organs of elimination in proper operating order can our bodybegin to dump toxins efficiently and maximally. Keeping the skin clean and healthy is of primeimportance also.Detoxification is essential for good health to exist. Our body must eliminate toxins daily orwe would die immediately. Since our environment is more toxic today, our livers are over stressedwith environmental toxins to deal with daily. Processing other toxins, when the liver is stressed, maybe delayed.Detoxification is also a lifestyle change. For it is by the way we live that determines ourhealth and how our liver processes toxins. Detoxification is easy if we eat a wholesome naturalorganic diet and live life in a natural way. But for those who want their cake and eat it too,detoxification may be compromised. A change your lifestyle may be needed and detoxification will beforthcoming. Nature has afforded us the chance to live in a toxic environment and not be affected byit. Of course, we have to live right to get that chance. Without detoxification we may not get a secondchance.Good health is within our reach, but first we must cleanse this "temple" and eat a wholesomenatural diet that provides us with maximal nutrients and fiber. Herbs can help us stimulate the liver,lungs, kidneys and bowels when needed, but diet is the first priority in any detoxification program.Don't become overly dependent on herbal laxatives. When toxins are released one may feel bad for aday or two, but when our good health is restored we will have renewed energy. Many people livingtoday have never known what good health "feels" like. They survive with an abundance of toxins andan existence less than healthy.

#4 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:55 AM

Why would anyone want to put all that muck into there body every day is beyond me.

i think that's taking healthy living abit far lol
Life is all about living!

#5 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:24 PM

thanks Denise again for your encouragement. i will start up my regimen again albeit much slower.

besides colonics and PB shakes how else can we capture all the toxins being released by detox before it is reabsorbed into our system? my bottle of Livatone is sitting in my cupboard...it was expensive so i want make sure i use it at maximal effectiveness! maybe a colon cleanse by Dr. Natura first or in conjunction?

#6 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:20 AM

Hey Malia: If colonics were that uncomfortable, I personally think that Dr. Natura (Colonix) is an excellent program. Just be extra careful to watch your steep times with the senna tea. That stuff can have rebound effects on you and you end up dependent on it and you become constipated. This should NOT happen if you follow the steep times closely (starting out at 1-2 minutes and working your way up).

Also, Malia, since you have a hard time with colonics, you oughta seriously consider getting a colema board. They are definately worth the money. I have one, and really do love it. They aren't as powerful as a colonic because the water pressure is NOTHING like getting a colonic, however, this is a good investment and a great way to clean yourself out at home, with no one else around.

You may also want to consider an oxygenating cleanser like OxyPowder or Colosan....but be sure to eat very lightly while taking them so you can get maximum benefits.

#7 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(malia @ Sep 25 2004, 08:33 PM)
about two weeks ago i started on this regimen:

morning:
1 tbsp barley green
3 Primal Defense tablets

afternoon:
3 Primal Defense
1/2 cup Kefir with Flax, Cod, Primrose, Borage oils

night:
3 Primal Defense

after about a week i started to get  sore throat and then had flu-like symptoms.  i ran a high fever and was seriously congested for more than a week.  all the while i got sick i quit all supplements.  this has been the slowest recovery i have ever had. 

could it have been all the supplements i took?  i didn't start slowly on Primal Defense...just jumped up to 9 tablets at first but i'm doubtful that it could have been linked to me getting sick. 

i'm afraid to start all this again.

View Post

I have had the same thing! When I was following my own liver restrengthening/detox program I noticed a decline in physical well being and lots of headaches. I took vitamin C 1000 mg for it, and it did wonders!!

I am doing a second cleaning now just to be sure smile.gif along with vitaming C 1000 mg supps. I feel much more vital.

#8 malia

malia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:36 AM

man oh man! this process is so time consuming! if only we had known that all these meds and foods would be so harmful to us in the long run....

again, thanks for all the support.

starting again...slowly. smile.gif

will look into buying a colema board.

yes, i have heard that the senna tea is not good in the long run. do you think it is absolutely necessary? maybe you can alternate the tea with eating a few prunes. oxypowder is the next thing on my list to buy. after two months of the colonix.

do you think its true what they say about how acne is manifested? if its on your cheeks then you have a congested colon. forehead is because your lungs are not functioning well. around your mouth because of hormones.

i'll also increase vit c intake.

#9 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

Malia: Sounds like a good plan with regard to alternating the senna tea; however......the senna is stronger than prunes. But it would be worth it to try. Sounds like you would be a great candidate for OxyPowder; remember.....only eat really, really, well when on it. I think that there is something to the facial map as it pertains to acne. It's something I'm still pondering over.

#10 tommorowneverdies

tommorowneverdies

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:02 PM

I read that symptoms often get worse before they get better...makes sense.