oily skin

2 replies to this topic

#1 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, MMA, photography, fishing.

Achievements

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Anyone ever use salicylic acid to treat and help their redness? I have some dermatitis. Whether its perioral or seborrheic...ive being treated for both. I reading that salicylic acid is a miracle worker when it comes to treating psoriasis, dermatitis, acne, any facial redness, etc. I have oily skin so I get pimples every now and then, but that doesnt concern me as much as the inflammation from the dermatitis. So has anyone here ever used salicylic acid in cleansers or by itself to help with their issue?

#2 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Being happy no matter what.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

I found SA makes my acne a bit better but my rosacea worse, in fact after a few days of using just a wash I had an inflamed nose and cheeks which felt sunburnt. That combined with AHA---bad idea for rosacea :-( But that is just me.

#3 PowderedPeach

PowderedPeach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I've had great results with salicylic acid but only if I'm sure careful about what products I use. Most salicylic acid products are intended to treat oily, acne-prone teenage skin, so the anti-inflammatory properties are lost because they're combined with so many irritants.

I would skip the cleansers, which have harsh detergents and don't stay on your skin for long enough to provide any measurable results. Instead maybe go for a leave-on treatment that's alcohol and fragrance free and contains soothing ingredients like green tea or aloe. Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion is a good toner with a thick texture, and Paula's Choice makes several options in different vehicles and strengths. Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment is also a good moisturizer that includes it.

My only concern would be that if it's too exfoliating, then your dermatitis could flare. I would definitely start slowly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users