red mark

48 replies to this topic

#41 budah

budah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

What mg did you take? I just started 30mg for 5 months. And I know this is considered a low dose treatment so I'm curious as to what you took.

#42 sad*angel

sad*angel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

I had a pretty similar experience the first time i took acutane (2 years ago) except my miracle month was number 5. I stayed clear for 1 year then the acne came on slowly and mildly at first but now its back full throttle again so I've started using acutane again. I'm now on day 5... I have a long way to go but it's the only thing that's ever worked for me so I trust this product a lot.
I wanted to comment just to give you some quick advice. If you happen to find yourself with acne showing up again (which it might about a year after your first treatment) my advice to take acutane again as soon as you can! I waited too long thinking it would go away by itself. I wish I would have taken it again as soon as the acne came back mild but now it's real bad again so i'm starting all over again. The good news is that likely after the second treatment, acne should not make a reappearance sometimes 2 times is the charm... hoepefully not 3.

#43 tripjuice

tripjuice

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

AccutaneInMyBrain, thanks so much for this post.  I've bookmarked it & read it again from time to time to keep my hopes up. 

I'm 27 years old and I'm on day 38 of my 40mg/day Decutan course.  (This is my second course.  I had went through another course back when I was about 14 years old, but apparently it hadn't worked as well as was hoped smile.png)  My dermatologist now also prescribed Dalacin 150mg tablets for the first 6 weeks, in order to keep down any flare ups that are expected in the first few weeks.

I just received my first blood test results (4 weeks into the treatment), and my cholesterol spiked up by about 20% (which apparently is expected when taking this drug).  The result says 5.38 mmol/l, and the "normal" range is 2.0 to 5.0.  What is worrying me the most, however, is my potassium level which soared dramatically from a normal 4.14 mmol/l to 5.76 mmol/l, which is considered high up in the caution zone.  There's a chance this could be an invalid blood sample, so I'm considering taking another test before seeing my dermatologist to double check.  The rest of the result values seem okay.  

Anyways, it'd be great if you (or anyone) has anything to share regarding your blood test results during treatment.  I think this is essential to keeping one's mind re-assured that everything's as expected during treatment.  Thanks again, & good luck to everyone!

Edited by tripjuice, 12 January 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#44 AccutaneInMyBrain

AccutaneInMyBrain

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Hey there, sorry for not responding sooner but its been a while since I've been on here. My blood tests were perfectly normal every time. Just make sure to be careful if they're coming back abnormal.

#45 LyannaStark

LyannaStark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Great read... since that post was a couple years ago now, how is your skin doing?

I'm middle of month 3 and it's only this week that I start to see the turn around... Although a little white head sprouted on my face overnight, the dryness is gone (except the lips) and skin is feeling a bit shiny and new. I hope my results are as good as yours.

I need to have a look for this Aquaphor, i hadn't heard of it or seen it around!

#46 tripjuice

tripjuice

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for your reply AccutaneInMyBrain.  I re-checked the tests & it seems it was a false positive.  Apparently potassium level tests are unreliable occasionally.

LyannaStark, I'm using Aquaphor w/ Sunscreen.  Link here.  It's a good moisturiser & has SPF30  protection from the sun.  Apart from moisturising, the sunscreen helps since Isotretinion makes you more sensitive to sunlight.  In my case, it also helps prevent cold sores caused by sun exposure.  

My lips need to be constantly drenched in Aquaphor (or Cicaplast Lip Barrier Repairing Balm, which I use alternatively).  As soon as I wipe it off my lips  (after eating, drinking, etc), my lips get extremely dry & start burning.  This started to happen about 3 months into my course.  Before that, my lips were okay, just mildly dry.  Sometimes I even get small blisters across my lips, which at first I thought were cold sores.  I even treated them like it was cold sores, only to realise they weren't after 2 weeks without improvement.  They faded eventually just by moisturising, but they do re-appear from time to time.

I'm in month 5 now.  Acne is pretty much clear, but I still have a lot of redness & scars.  I'm hoping these will fade once I've completed the course.  I also developed a cellulitis infection on my scalp half-way through the course, for which my dermatologist prescribed strong doses of antibiotics.  It's been 3 months with this infection & it's been a nightmare.  I'm hoping it will heal soon.

Anyway, good luck to everyone.  I'll give an update once everything is over.

#47 wherethelightis

wherethelightis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hey brother, I'm on my third month... I don't breakout hardly ever anymore. Just the occasional little pimple once in a great while. My skin is so smooth to my touch compared to months earlier when it was horrendous! ..but it's still red and there's still the deep red marks and patches of skin from all the acne before, is this normal? I'm just waiting for it to heal up and return to it's normal color- frustrating! Do you know what I mean? Also just wondering if you could post any before and after pictures

#48 wherethelightis

wherethelightis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

I hardly ever break out, and my skin is smooth to the touch! ..but it's still so red and there's still much affected dark redness from previous breakouts and doesn't look good

#49 LyannaStark

LyannaStark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

I hardly ever break out, and my skin is smooth to the touch! ..but it's still so red and there's still much affected dark redness from previous breakouts and doesn't look good

Mine is like yours. Smooth but redness is still pretty bad. At least no active pimples though!! hifive.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users