Photo

Roaccutane (Nhs) Log With Pics!

roaccutane accutane nhs dermatologist simple

This topic is in the process of being archived.
61 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Lots of people experience dandruff while taking the medication and usually its the whole course.From reading other members logs on here lots of people seem to have success using neutrogena t gel. Also wash your wash every other day or go longer if you can. Once all the oil is out of your hair some people can go a week not needing to wash their hair. I go a day or 2 between hair washes. Skipping washes will help out the scalp dryness for sure and the neutrogena t gel seems to get rid of the dandruff. Good luck!

#22 Faerie87

Faerie87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Avenger:
Nope, but I have a tub of it lying around somewhere. I'm using Blistex at the moment, I'll see how that goes. My lips aren't terribly dry yet.

Yeh just thought I would mention it cos I generally use vaseline anyway, its much better than any lip balm in my opinion!

I've heard some good reviews about vaseline compared to other products on the market, and it's cheaper. I'll have a look in to it, cheers Posted Image

I'm having a problem with dandruff at the moment, I'm using Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, but it's not really helping.

Maybe try using the ordinary shampoo, not the 2 in 1? Then you can always use conditioner seperately. Or there is this shampoo, called Nizoral, its stronger than Head and Shoulders, I once had it prescribed cos the one time I had dandruff, I had it really bad! Perhaps you can get it cheaper, but check it out on this link: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0017TMZVU

#23 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hey man, good luck with it. Day 120 here - the initial breakout sucks! I didn't wash when I was on it, until day 100 where I started using some Cetaphil - buy some Cetaphil - it's specifically made for 'dermatologist' patients - aka. Accutane users.Don't exfoliate and make sure that your moisturizer is oil free! And also - chapstick - use it. Use a lot of it.

Hi, thanks for the motivation. I can't buy Cetaphil in the UK, apart from online and it's quite expensive, but I'll consider it for the future.

Good luck with the rest your course! :)

Lots of people experience dandruff while taking the medication and usually its the whole course.From reading other members logs on here lots of people seem to have success using neutrogena t gel. Also wash your wash every other day or go longer if you can. Once all the oil is out of your hair some people can go a week not needing to wash their hair. I go a day or 2 between hair washes. Skipping washes will help out the scalp dryness for sure and the neutrogena t gel seems to get rid of the dandruff. Good luck!

I've researched most of the side effects but must have skipped this one. I've been using baby oil in my hair and it's working quite well. I've purchased Jojoba oil though and will use this when it arrives. The baby oil gives my hair a nice healthy shine to it though and minimizes the dryness, which is good! I normally wash my hair everyday but I'll have to re-think this if it's becoming a problem. Looks like i've got it under control for the most part though. Thanks for the advise!

Avenger:
Nope, but I have a tub of it lying around somewhere. I'm using Blistex at the moment, I'll see how that goes. My lips aren't terribly dry yet.

Yeh just thought I would mention it cos I generally use vaseline anyway, its much better than any lip balm in my opinion!

I've heard some good reviews about vaseline compared to other products on the market, and it's cheaper. I'll have a look in to it, cheers Posted Image

I'm having a problem with dandruff at the moment, I'm using Head & Shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, but it's not really helping.

Maybe try using the ordinary shampoo, not the 2 in 1? Then you can always use conditioner seperately. Or there is this shampoo, called Nizoral, its stronger than Head and Shoulders, I once had it prescribed cos the one time I had dandruff, I had it really bad! Perhaps you can get it cheaper, but check it out on this link: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0017TMZVU

I was thinking about this too, buying the two separate. I've been looking in to Nizoral, but I'm going to my GP to see if he can prescribe anything. Prescription ones are usually stronger. Thanks for the advise!

#24 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Welcome! I just started my course today and we're almost on the same schedule :) Will be keeping up with your updates! I've read that a couple people suffered from itchy scalp in addition to the dandruff, so I also picked up some anti-itch shampoo at the store this afternoon. Honestly, if dandruff and dry lips are the most serious side effects we get, I'd say we're pretty well off!

#25 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Welcome! I just started my course today and we're almost on the same schedule Posted Image Will be keeping up with your updates! I've read that a couple people suffered from itchy scalp in addition to the dandruff, so I also picked up some anti-itch shampoo at the store this afternoon. Honestly, if dandruff and dry lips are the most serious side effects we get, I'd say we're pretty well off!

Thanks for commenting!

My scalp is mildly itchy in addition with dandruff, but it's not bothering me too much though. Still going to book an appointment with my GP to see what's available.

What dose are you on?

Best of luck with your course, and I love the username btw! Posted Image

DAY 7 ON ROACCUTANE

Should have updated yesterday, but ran out of time.

Woke up with quite a few large whiteheads around my chin/upper lip, exfoliated with a wash cloth in the shower which took them off. Through out the day, they turned in to painful inflamed spots with a head. I'm hoping this is the start of my IB?

To that end though, the oil on my face has been significantly reduced and I'm slowly beginning to dry up. My lips are now dry.

I've ran out of Erythromycin today, I've been on them for two months. I don't think I'll go back for more but instead let Roaccutane run its course. I feel as if they have lost their effectiveness anyhow.

My skin is becoming increasingly smoother and a more even skin tone and brighter complexion.

It's day 8 today, and I will update later this evening with pictures.

Edited by Avenger, 08 May 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#26 Ghost876

Ghost876

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

For itchy scalp I used a 2 in 1 shampoo called Alphosyl. I was prescribed it by GP years ago and takes away the itch with 1 or 2 washes for weeks after (for me at least). I find using that, then just using normal shampoos after gets rid of them both until the itch comes back. But my dandruff is very temperamental and will suddenly come and go for no apparent reason. You get it in boots too.

#27 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Welcome! I just started my course today and we're almost on the same schedule Posted Image Will be keeping up with your updates! I've read that a couple people suffered from itchy scalp in addition to the dandruff, so I also picked up some anti-itch shampoo at the store this afternoon. Honestly, if dandruff and dry lips are the most serious side effects we get, I'd say we're pretty well off!

What dose are you on?

Best of luck with your course, and I love the username btw! Posted Image

Thanks! I'm on a 20mg dose for the first month, then I believe 30mg and then 60mg for the rest of the course.

#28 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

DAY 8 ON ROACCUTANE

Painful breakout got worse over night and it hurt to move my chin or curl my lip. I had to go out today, so I did my best at removing the heads by gently exfoliating with a wash cloth. Throughout the course of the day, the pain settled down a bit and the hasn't got any worse. I had a shave later on and went out again. From what it looks like, it has calmed down now and has flattened out a bit. Hoping tomorrow will see an improvement around that area,

I rushed my shave, which I shouldn't have because I had plenty of time. I think I might have promoted a few new spots around my jawline.

There has without a doubt been a reduction in my oil production. I'm dry and not shiny for the first time since I can remember. I'm going to be looking out for a reduction in my pore size over the next couple of weeks. My face is still smoothing out.

The tiredness has seemed to have subsided, or isn't as bad as it was a couple of days ago. Lower back pain still persists and a dry scalp is proving to be a problem. I will take on the recommendations above and visit my GP tomorrow to see if he can prescribe anything.

Here's a few pics from day 8. ​Sorry for the lighting, it was late evening. I'll try and take pictures during the day from now on...

IMG_0041.JPG IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0048.JPG

Edited by Avenger, 09 May 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#29 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:cooking, nutrition, exercise, being awesome!

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Looking better already on day 8! Wow! Keep it up. Seems tempting to pop those whiteheads, but I would only let them pop naturally when you wash your face, without rubbing. That can spread infection. Just my experience.

Love your log! Can't wait to start mine! :D

#30 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

Looking better already on day 8! Wow! Keep it up. Seems tempting to pop those whiteheads, but I would only let them pop naturally when you wash your face, without rubbing. That can spread infection. Just my experience.

Love your log! Can't wait to start mine! Posted Image

Thanks!

When you do you start? I look forward to reading your log when you do :)

#31 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:cooking, nutrition, exercise, being awesome!

Achievements

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Monday May 14. My birthday! I'll be singing this song, "Happy Birthday to meee. Now take some Acutaneee!"

It's supposed to rhyme....albeit terribly. Hah.

#32 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Monday May 14. My birthday! I'll be singing this song, "Happy Birthday to meee. Now take some Acutaneee!"

It's supposed to rhyme....albeit terribly. Hah.

That's an awesome birthday present! Happy birthday for the 14th if I don't sign in Posted Image

My 'Simple For Men' range arrived today, can't wait to put them to the test!

Briefly tested them out on my arm and so far, I love them! I have always been a fan Simple, so I thought I would try their mens range. I'm a little bit weird when it comes to choosing products, I like everything to be the same brand... OCD?

Anyway...

The cleanser foams really well. It's like a clear see through gel which feels lovely and foams really nicely. It feels great to spread around.

The Shave Gel is fantastic! You only need a small amount to achieve a really nice creamy, foamy consistency.

The Aftershave balm is really light and has an unusually nice natural fragrance to it. It feels soft, spreads really well and leaves the area well moisturised.

The moisturiser is almost the same as the balm. It is light enough and spreads really evenly and easily. You only need a small amount of it.

I can't wait to test these on my face. Will report back later this evening with results.

IMG_0055.JPG

#33 veruca salt

veruca salt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Avenger, I like that you're a male who isn't afraid to try out products! I know so many guys who feel "unmanly" if they're taking care of their skin, which is just plain stupid if you ask me Posted Image

#34 SupernatualFanatic

SupernatualFanatic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I hope those products work well for you! I agree with veruca, I think its refreshing to see a guy who will test our products and truly cares about the health of his skin! Let me know how those work out, I'm still trying to find a moisturizer that won't break me out, I'm going to Walgreens to buy Cetaphil tonight, I've heard that's pretty good, hopefully it works well, anyone else have suggestions?

#35 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

Avenger, I like that you're a male who isn't afraid to try out products! I know so many guys who feel "unmanly" if they're taking care of their skin, which is just plain stupid if you ask me Posted Image

I hope those products work well for you! I agree with veruca, I think its refreshing to see a guy who will test our products and truly cares about the health of his skin! Let me know how those work out, I'm still trying to find a moisturizer that won't break me out, I'm going to Walgreens to buy Cetaphil tonight, I've heard that's pretty good, hopefully it works well, anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks both of you! I enjoy taking care of my skin. It's as much of a hobby as anything else I do. I just generally enjoy taking care of myself inside and out. I try to eat as healthy as I can without strict dieting, whilst enjoying a few take aways and fast foods every month.

Cetaphil seems to be the brand of choice whilst on Accutane. If they sold it in the UK I would have tried it by now, but I can only get it online but it's expensive.

Edited by Avenger, 10 May 2012 - 03:29 AM.

#36 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

DAY 9 ON ROACCUTANE (Yesterday)

Ouch! I've never known anything to be so painful. About 5 or 6 whiteheads next to my mouth and a couple on my upper lip.

Lips are cracking, but I haven't been as strict as I could have been with applying Blistex.

My new products have arrived today and I really look forward to testing them out later on.

Will update on day 10 later on today.

#37 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi, I've been reading your log all along (sorrrryy, little bit of lurking there), and just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the way you post and wish you the best of luck :)

ALSO you can now by cetaphil in the UK from boots, certainly online if not in store, but I've love to hear how the male simple products go as I got my bf using their moisturiser (just a normal one, not a 'for men' one) and I know he'd be interested in the full range.

#38 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi, I've been reading your log all along (sorrrryy, little bit of lurking there), and just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the way you post and wish you the best of luck Posted Image

ALSO you can now by cetaphil in the UK from boots, certainly online if not in store, but I've love to hear how the male simple products go as I got my bf using their moisturiser (just a normal one, not a 'for men' one) and I know he'd be interested in the full range.

When I initially went for Roaccutane I started looking in to the Cetaphil range and was dead set on using it. I began to drift away from it when I realised how much it would cost and how limited their products are in the UK. It would have been nice to see their full range. They do indeed sell it in Boots but I've only ever seen it online, never in a store, and I live near two large Boots stores.

I swear by the Simple range. I used quite a few of their 'Kind To Skin' products for two years when I was on the regimen and they worked fantastically. Most, if not all of their products contain oils, but I've never had any issues with their ingredients.

I used the full Simple For Men range this evening. Cleanser, shave gel, after shave and moisturiser. Loved them! No complaints so far.

Thanks for keeping up with my log!

DAY 10 ON ROACCUTANE

Things are going quite good so far. I'm still feeling quite tired but not as tired as before. The dandruff/dry scalp has got a lot better.

It seems that every single spot I get is incredibly painful regardless of size. I have quite a few under lying spots that I hope will go away without emerging, but we'll have to wait and see.

The breakout I had the past couple of days has eased up quite a bit. It's still painful in some areas but nowhere near as bad as it was. I'm still breaking out around my mouth, chin and upper lip.

At the moment, my skin is quite dry and peeling, but I have been lacking with the amount of moisturiser I'm using. I'm used to only applying a small amount, so I think I'll be loading up on moisturiser before I go to bed. I still have the Simple Kind To Skin Light Hydrating Moisturiser, so I think I'll use this as my night time moisturiser.

#39 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

DAY 11 / 12 ON ROACCUTANE

Quite a number of changes in the past week, and a lot of improvement since day 1.

The breakout on the right side of my face has completely gone and is no longer painful. It's smoothed out leaving only a bit of redness behind. I'm confident that with the frequent use of Retin-A that will hopefully fade within the next few weeks. It's not too noticeable. I have worse PIH marks around my cheeks that I've had for months.

It's been almost a week since I stopped taking Erythromycin. The breakout I had could have been because of the sudden stoppage of antibiotics. Either way, I'm not bothered - it's gone. There have been no bad signs of stopping antibiotics, I feel a lot healthier now and I feel as if my body is getting back in to a naturally healthy state.

I might as well throw it out there, but I strongly believe that taking antibiotics for the treatment of acne is a terrible decision.

Since beginning Roaccutane, my pimples look a lot calmer and don't appear to be as aggressive in size, shape, colour or number.

My face is a bit red in areas at the moment, perhaps due to the combination of Retin-A and Roaccutane. I use Retin-A three times a week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I've began to settle in to the routine though. Next week I might use it only Monday and Friday. I'm using Retin-A purely for the correction of fine lines, evening out skin tone and improving the texture of my skin. So far, I've noticed an improvement in all three aspects.

Currently, I have a few smallish whiteheads around my chin and nose and a couple of underlying pimples on the left side of my cheek. Only a few tiny pimples on my forehead, not worth taking a picture because the camera wouldn't pick them up.

I've uploaded some pictures to a different site because I was having problems uploading them here, it kept saying the file size was too big.

Right side (the good side):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Left side (not so good side):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Avenger, 13 May 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#40 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

DAY 13 / 14 ON ROACCUTANE

Day 13 was good. My skin looked great and didn't look oily.

Day 14...

Whiteheads! Lots of them too. I am nesting about 6 or 7, scattered over all areas of my face.

My lips are incredibly dry. I forgot my blistex for a few hours and my lips felt extremely dry and uncomfortable.

My dry scalp has improved loads.

My eyes are feeling quite dry too, might have to invest in some eye drops tomorrow.