vitamin vitamins vitamin b vitamin b5

35 replies to this topic

#21 Liz Grimshaw

Liz Grimshaw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Hi, Just want to give everyone a big warning about this vitamin. I started my 14 year old daughter on pantothenic acid for her skin,. I bought it from Holland and Barratt. A couple of months in she started to shed hair but I thought it was just cyclical. After 5 months and more sheds I took her off it and a fortnight later I could see lots of scalp through her normally thick curly hair. Then I did some more research ( wish I had done more and found you should not take it without biotin.) Consequently I am out of my mind with worry and cannot find any info as to whether or not it will grow back. Vitamins should not be sold in mega doses unless more info is on the labels. It should be looked into more carefully. or banned until more research is done

It should grow back...

I will keep you updated about my hair and please keep me updated on your daughter's situation as well!

Supposedly it is a vitamin toxicity.. and not because of lack of biotin...

The hair should grow back, so tell her not to worry, but please keep us all updated in this thread! Thanks.

I will and thanks, I have gone through such panic attacks through this it just isn't worth it. I would rather have my daughter healthy and with spots. I could never forgive myself if it doesn't rectify itself.

#22 MikeLev

MikeLev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi, Just want to give everyone a big warning about this vitamin. I started my 14 year old daughter on pantothenic acid for her skin,. I bought it from Holland and Barratt. A couple of months in she started to shed hair but I thought it was just cyclical. After 5 months and more sheds I took her off it and a fortnight later I could see lots of scalp through her normally thick curly hair. Then I did some more research ( wish I had done more and found you should not take it without biotin.) Consequently I am out of my mind with worry and cannot find any info as to whether or not it will grow back. Vitamins should not be sold in mega doses unless more info is on the labels. It should be looked into more carefully. or banned until more research is done

It should grow back...

I will keep you updated about my hair and please keep me updated on your daughter's situation as well!

Supposedly it is a vitamin toxicity.. and not because of lack of biotin...

The hair should grow back, so tell her not to worry, but please keep us all updated in this thread! Thanks.

I will and thanks, I have gone through such panic attacks through this it just isn't worth it. I would rather have my daughter healthy and with spots. I could never forgive myself if it doesn't rectify itself.

Hi Liz,

Have updates??

My hair has definitely stopped shedding. It is too early to say anything about regrowth but my hair is already looking MUCHHH healthier. =]

#23 Liz Grimshaw

Liz Grimshaw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

bump

Hi Mike, I think I can see her hair starting to thicken again, i am just hoping its not wishfull thinking, They say it can be 6 months before it is anywhere near "normal" again. I will surely keep you updated and I am so glad you have stopped shedding. fingers crossed its all uphill now. :)

#24 Liz Grimshaw

Liz Grimshaw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

Two months ago I stopped taking Vitamin B5 due to hair loss. My hair is still falling out in tremendous amounts but I am now starting to notice a bunch of new hairs growing in. I check my scalp regularly & each day I'm noticing more and more new hairs. I'm hoping this is a good thing but the hair falling out has not stopped yet. Anyone suffering from hair loss due to B5 please let me know if this has also happened to you.

yes my daughter, I have posted further down. I hope things are still improving for you. :)

#25 pinky_shushu

pinky_shushu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi Liz,

How much B5 was your daughter taking?

Ta,
Katy

#26 MariusS94

MariusS94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

Is there anything new about the hair loss?
Is it still going on?

I am very interested in this question because I am considering to take B5, too.

#27 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Any update on this, I also experienced hairloss

#28 clarityx

clarityx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Any update on how your daughter is doing? I've had a similar situation. I mega dosed on b5 for about 3 months and noticed patches of hair loss on my facial hair. Its not that noticable if I shave everyday but I sport the "scruffy" look. I probably have patches of hair lost on my head but My hair is fairy long so it is not noticable to me. Ive been off b5 for a couple weeks now with no improvement. Its actually gotten worse. 

Edited by clarityx, 21 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#29 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

I have read that you shouldn`t take b5, without taking l-cysteine because b5 depletes cysteine that is needed to hair grow.

I am also considering to give b5 a try, but not more than 500 mg. And problably I will take 250 mg of l-cysteine. Has anyone taken 500 mg of b5 with success? Did you have to add l-cysteine at this dosage? I am a little scary about hair lost.

#30 Sunnyhot

Sunnyhot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Two months ago I stopped taking Vitamin B5 due to hair loss. My hair is still falling out in tremendous amounts but I am now starting to notice a bunch of new hairs growing in. I check my scalp regularly & each day I'm noticing more and more new hairs. I'm hoping this is a good thing but the hair falling out has not stopped yet. Anyone suffering from hair loss due to B5 please let me know if this has also happened to you.

yes my daughter, I have posted further down. I hope things are still improving for you. :)

What's the verdict?

#31 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Is there any updates guys I've been losing hair for over 2 years now due to b5

#32 magic

magic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Is there any updates guys I've been losing hair for over 2 years now due to b5

Are you certain the b5 caused it? Maybe it would have happened anyway?

#33 Blue09

Blue09

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

No I'm 24 and there's no mpb in my family it was 100% the b5

#34 MikeLev

MikeLev

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

bump

#35 Winifield

Winifield

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Your body needs vitamin B-5 to metabolize the carbs, protein and fat you eat, and in turn, convert this food into usable energy and nourishment for all of your cells. Without this vitamin, your hair follicles will not get the nutrients they need to function properly. Over time, this can lead to a malnourishment of your follicles and result in reduced hair growth and even loss.

#36 itsoveryes

itsoveryes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Your body needs vitamin B-5 to metabolize the carbs, protein and fat you eat, and in turn, convert this food into usable energy and nourishment for all of your cells. Without this vitamin, your hair follicles will not get the nutrients they need to function properly. Over time, this can lead to a malnourishment of your follicles and result in reduced hair growth and even loss.

It was an overdose, not underdose of b5 that caused hair loss. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users