Photo

What Am I Doing Wrong?

diet vitamins training vitamin vitamin d fish oil gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Hi, I'm a sixteen year-old boy who's struggling with my acne at the moment. I recently went on a gluten-free diet, and I've had massive breakouts since. I still eat carbohydrates in the form of organic brown rice three times a week, which is just after training. I'm wondering if I am sabotaging myself on my eating habits, so I'm gonna post a list here and I'd love some opinions on its value. Here goes:

Morning:

3 - 5 Whole eggs with raw broccoli.

I don't fry the eggs in anything, just the hot pan. It's also not on max heat.

School/Pre-training:

about 300 grams of Boiled chicken breast/oven-baked lean beef.
125 grams of salmon.
Some salad, broccoli or spinach.

The vegetables vary from day to day and are almost always raw.

Home before work/Post-training:

On training days, which is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I eat some brown rice in addition to the following:

160 grams of canned tuna.
120 grams of tomato paste.
125 grams of salmon.
Raw broccoli.

Evening:

Pretty much the same as after school.
Also raspberries with ground flax seeds and almonds.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In addition to my diet I drink a lot of water, about two liters a day. I also take the following supplements:

6000 mg Fish Oil
1000 mg Vitamin C
40 mg Zink
A single multivitamin pill, particularly rich in vitamin D.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In addition to this healthy diet I also practice powerlifting three times a week. I bicycle my way to school, to the gym and to work every day, which comes out to about twelve kilometers a day. I'm fairly lean with visible abdominals. And now the big question:

What Am I Doing Wrong?

(Anything I forgot to mention, ask me in the thread.)

Sincerely, Adin.

#2 jaketyler

jaketyler

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

r u practising the regimen?\

#3 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

No, I am not.

#4 Tony1990

Tony1990

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Check out if you are allergic to eggs because it is a form of dairy, I noticed I always broke out when I was eating alot of eggs. I also heard tuna is good for acne but not just in a can.

#5 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

eggs because it is a form of dairy

Eggs are not dairy in any way shape or form. It's often assumed to be dairy, because they're found side by side when defining food categories, but that's only because they're in a unique category of their own. Eggs are not dairy.

OP- How long have you been gluten-free? they say it takes the same amount of time, in months, to rectify any damage that's been done over the years. 10 years unhealthy eating=10 months healthy eating to rectify it. Other than that, your diet looks fine (except for the tomato paste, that may be cause for concern).

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#6 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

I agree with the above poster. It could take months to pinpoint if gluten is your issue. In the mean time, up your veggie intake. Your diet looks good but only through an elimination diet can you pinpoint what you may be sensitive to. What is your skin care regimen like? If after a few months you don't see improvement with diet alone, topicals can be an option (though be careful with the BP as it over time contributes to aging and increased free radicals). At the point that your diet becomes your main focus in life, start to reevaluate things.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#7 maybemonday

maybemonday

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Your diet seems well thought out, but I agree with the other poster- changing your diet will not produce immediate results. It's a slow process! Are you drinking lots of water? Make sure you're keeping yourself hydrated, especially during/after workouts; and are allowing your body to flush out toxins as well. If things simply aren't improving in a few months time- maybe you should look into the products you're using and try some new ones out. Also, remember to always wash your body and face after you exercise to remove all the dirt, bacteria and impurities from sweat. :)

I started the regimen in July 2012- I'm 98% clear on the regimen as of April 2013, and I reduced my dosage to 2 pumps once a day in September 2013 with no problems. I'm working on evening out my skin tone and at the moment I'm using Re-Gen Cream and Clinique Face Cream SPF 40 :)

#8 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have been eating healthy for almost a year and seen good results. I got almost acne-free from diet alone some months ago. The point is that ever since I removed grains/gluten from my eating habits, I've broken out a lot which is kind of the opposite most people experience from this kind of life style, or so I've been informed.
I've always heard good things concerning tuna and eggs. I'm really dependent on those two foods due to my sport. Weightlifting, powerlifting in particular, requires a certain amount of protein and carbohydrate intake. I've already limited my previous daily carb-intake to three meals a week.

I really can't seem to grasp why this is bringing me negative results.

(Very good and serious responses from you guys so far, I'm very glad. Keep 'em coming!)

Sincerely, Adin.

#9 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Why are you eating so many eggs? A lot of people are intolerant to them.

Also, don't eat broccoli raw. Doesn't directly have to do with acne but broccoli is far healthier steamed. A lot of raw broccoli can damage the thyroid.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#10 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Why are you eating so many eggs? A lot of people are intolerant to them.

Also, don't eat broccoli raw. Doesn't directly have to do with acne but broccoli is far healthier steamed. A lot of raw broccoli can damage the thyroid.

I eat a lot of eggs due to it being extremely nutritious, tasty, easy to cook and high in protein. Also, it's one hundred percent gluten-free.

#11 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I agree they are good, just make sure you aren't allergic to them though.

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#12 takenimpulse

takenimpulse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Tomatoes have been reported to cause problems, as well as other nightshade vegetables. Also, if it's tomato paste from a can then it probably contains high fructose corn syrup, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.

#13 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Tomatoes have been reported to cause problems, as well as other nightshade vegetables. Also, if it's tomato paste from a can then it probably contains high fructose corn syrup, so you might want to take that into consideration as well.

The can specifically states than it only contains tomatoes and salt.

#14 takenimpulse

takenimpulse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Oh ok. Almonds can also be another factor. I used to love eating raw almonds, but it would make my stomach upset. I had to cut out nuts/seeds for the time being to allow my gut to heal.

#15 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I didn't get clear til I removed all grains including rice. It might be different for you but it's something to consider. Of everything you mentioned I'd look at the eggs, rice, and tomatoes for possibly allergies.

Morning:

Evening:

#16 Adin

Adin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I must say I'm delightfully surprised at the non-presence of trolls on this forum, and I'm very happy about all the serious responses. I'll eliminate tomato paste for a week and track the results.

Keep the comments coming, their great!

Sincerely, Adin.

#17 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

If I were you I'd definitely consider removing all three for a couple weeks (or more) then testing them one at a time. It's a more controlled way of seeing how they effect you. One week might not be enough, and it could be hard to test if you only remove one thing, because you might be allergic to one or more of the other things too.

Morning:

Evening:

#18 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I didn't get clear til I removed all grains including rice.

this has been true of many people some of whom had to avoid all seeds. But those people also knew they were unwell with all kinds of symptoms.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#19 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yep, alllllll kinds of symptoms. I'm amazed I didn't die when I was younger.

Morning:

Evening: