Photo

TCA for shallow scars?

tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 LIQUIFY

LIQUIFY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:20 PM

I have minor scars,not deep but a lot of them,do you think TCA peels would help?I'm planning to buy 12% or 20% TCA.I've used glycolic and salycilic peels with no success...
I tought I could put TCA just on the areas where scars are (upper cheeks).Some people say shallow scars can be totally be smoothed.It is true?

#2 LIQUIFY

LIQUIFY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:44 AM

sad.gif

#3 Spot

Spot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:55 AM

umm...many people have had much success with it. do not use glycolic and salycilic acid, they will make things worse.

if you want to get rid of an indented scar then i guess spot reat with TCA is the best option....

#4 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:05 AM

Not sure what you consider minor scars. TCA peels may help improve the appearance of your scarring. It sounds like you are planning to spot treat the scars with a low % of TCA, but not sure you'll get the outcome you want. When in doubt, you can do a test patch on hidden areas, say one or two scars and see if that does what you want.

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

#5 redhedgrl

redhedgrl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:58 AM

I think TCA should help with very shallow scars. I disagree that glycolic and salycylic acid makes things worse. dry.gif Not sure what Spot is basing that statement on. Salycylic acid is very effective not only in topical medications for preventing new pimples, but a salycylic acid peel is great for zapping active zits and from the degree of peeling that I've seen with around a 20% concentration, it could definitely help with not only fading red marks and hyperpigmentation, but it could help smooth out shallow scarring.

If you spot treat with TCA, get the 12.5%. You can layer it to get a 25% level peel on the spots you need more help with, and if you want to do a full face, 12.5% is a good percentage. Not too harsh, not too mild. 6% would be best for full face if you're new to peeling, but since you've done other types of peels, 12.5% shouldn't be too much, I would think.

I did spot treatments with 12.5% TCA and went over problem areas twice with a Q-tip (I trimmed down the cotton on the tip to make it better to target small areas) so they got about a 25% concentration. I also used a toothpick to double layer the 12.5% in a CROSS type application on some scarred pores. One of the pores I used it on, on my cheek, was a little slash-type scar, almost like an icepick but very shallow, and now, almost 3 weeks after the peel, it's almost completely filled in and a lot less noticeable.

Just remember to hydrate your skin well, moisturize a lot, and use an antibacterial cream if you need to to help any scabbing, and allow the skin to peel. Don't pick at it!

Good luck.
~Kat

#6 LIQUIFY

LIQUIFY

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:27 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies:)
I think I'll have a 12,5% peel first on one or two scars and see what will happen...
I've read on the board some people say improvement are just temporary and will not last...is it true?It would be very frustrating... sad.gif

#7 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

LIQUIFY, I'm sorry to say that pitted scarring can not be cured by normal chemical peels. If a fairly strong one did give some success it would not be permanent. Deep peels could be permanent if they damage the dermis, but of course there can be serious side effects. A series of TCA Cross treatments can possibly smooth things up, though. And don't be discouraged - there are many other treatments besides the acne board flavor of the month that work. smile.gif
The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader
http://www.nrdc.org/...ord/default.asp
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#8 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:14 PM

Actually, i disagree. Chemical peels can help with pitted scarring because they actually do go into the upper dermis unlike very superficial peels which don't go beyond the epidermis. But if your scars are like a pock mark/chicken pox scar then no, I doubt you'll see much improvement-those seem too deep.

However if your scars look like you've nicked your skin, or like a shallow tiny pinhead dot or shallow enough that if you very very very lightly stretch the skin you're skin appers super smooth..I don't mean stretch your skin back within an inch of its life to smooth out a scar, I mean like if you pucker your lips like your going to kiss and that in and of itself smooths out the scar...then yup, TCA peel with a 12.5 concentration could help.

Basically people can scar from peels so it makes sense that they could be strong enough to remove a scar too. But it all really depends on the scar, if you have tiny clustered imperfections, TCA will help smooth out rejuvenate your skin texture overall and it should last indefinitely until pain in the ass aging kicks in again...But deep grooves or severe scarring won't be significantly helped...it's more for scars that make it look like your skin texture isn't too great versus the kind of scarring that is immediately noticeable..i have scars that I know are from acne but a stranger may just think i have enlarged pores in some areas or uneven skin texture in spots rather than all out acne scarring.

I have scars that have faded to the point of pretty much diappearing and it's du to skin's natural exfoliation, those aren't going to come back i mean they've literally been peeled away...But as skin ages it also sag, loses collagens and that makes everything look worse hahah but scars aren't going to magically reappear unless they never went away in the first place I doubt they'll come back as bad as before.
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#9 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 06:24 PM

Chloe646, out of the 5 sentences that I typed, which one did you disagree with?
The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader
http://www.nrdc.org/...ord/default.asp

#10 Chloe646

Chloe646

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

Oldguy: My whole reply wasn't just for you...Well, I don't think you have to have a "deep peel" to achieve some benefit for pitted scarring (that's why I went on the super long diatribe about what constitutes a shallower scar which CAN I think be improved/effaced with peels and yeah I DO agree that severe or deep scarring won't get much improvement from medium/light peels). BUT i think phenol peels which are the typical deep peels sound awful, I mean never being able to tan and being very pale/white?

medium depth can really help out and I don't get the debate about whether treatments are permanent or not for scars...I doubt a scar that's been treated or a superficial mark that's been peeled away will ever come back to how it was before but I'm speaking for myself...And also, of course results should be maintained, if your skin is looking blotchy uneven, just get another peel and don't bake your face in the sun which most liekly will worsen scarring and your skin in general. people get facials all the time, use eye cream, you don't brush your teeth once and think There, now I won't get cavities....But I'm young i guess (just entered my late twenties) so heck, may be 10 years from now my scars will be worse! Shit, I hope not neutral.gif mad.gif
The warmth of the sun reminds her of the day-she remembers the day when things were going her way-only memories remain-of the way she used to be-She stays home every night and exaggerates her past..all the old photographs were never thrown away-what made her cry-she'll never go back again-the way she used to be

#11 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Chloe646 @ Sep 27 2004, 05:24 PM)
Oldguy: My whole reply wasn't just for you...Well, I don't think you have to have a "deep peel" to achieve some benefit for pitted scarring (that's why I went on the super long diatribe about what constitutes a shallower scar which CAN I think be improved/effaced with peels and yeah I DO agree that severe or deep scarring won't get much improvement from medium/light peels). BUT i think phenol peels which are the typical deep peels sound awful, I mean never being able to tan and being very pale/white?

medium depth can really help out and I don't get the debate about whether treatments are permanent or not for scars...I doubt a scar that's been treated or a superficial mark that's been peeled away will ever come back to how it was before but I'm speaking for myself...And also, of course results should be maintained, if your skin is looking blotchy uneven, just get another peel and don't bake your face in the sun which most liekly will worsen scarring and your skin in general. people get facials all the time, use eye cream, you don't brush your teeth once and think There, now I won't get cavities....But I'm young i guess (just entered my late twenties) so heck, may be 10 years from now my scars will be worse! Shit, I hope not neutral.gif    mad.gif

View Post

Minor scarring- Needling or TCA cross?

#12 ForeverAndPatience

ForeverAndPatience

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

BUMP

I'm curious, how shallow do you mean?
I have been dermarolling/needling a sixth month old scar caused by popping a zit. I have treated it twice with a months time inbetween each treatment. It HAS filled in, BUT...
It's still there.
I massage it with cocoa butter, and it turns red... I may be a little aggressive >.>
On close inspection, I still see the edges, more so when I raise my eyebrows, my forehead wrinkles form around it, Like its tethered down. But with no expressions, it pretty much unnoticeable.

But I am probably still, slowly but surely filling in with collagen.

Buuut, what has Tca done for anyone? Or any type of peel for that matter. I've also noticed so more scaring in this area as well, but they're small and shallow. Not wide and shallow... like the one I've just gotten six months ago .-.

Anything, anyone?
Please and thankyou :)

#13 hary007

hary007

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

i ahve tried almost evrything 2 get rid of my scars hell doctors make the skin worst than before:(