Accutane And Daily Life

accutane make-up cosmetics dry skin oil sebum uglyness hide hiding

3 replies to this topic

#1 GirlInterrupter

GirlInterrupter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Self disgust is self obsession honey, and I'll do as I please.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi there,
I'm 23 and this is the first time I've ever posted on a forum... NOOB indeed... I am on day 3 of my ACCUTANE and have become addicted to reading the horror stories on the net - particularly the 'it gets a lot worse before it gets better' types. I was just wondering, how do people cope with their daily lives when they're looking a certain way? Peeling badly, acne at its peak, etc? I'm currently in university and am dreading showing my face for the last few months, I was wondering how people here manage on the drug, going to work, the shops, etc? Do you feel self concious? Is there anything you do/say to yourself that makes you feel better? I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder too which really doesn't help... (although of course, I don't think I suffer from it. Such is the nature of the illness - I really am that freakish looking, of course!)

Any talk of past/current experiences would be most welcome,
Many thanks
xxxx

#2 English_Rose

English_Rose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hi, I'm 35 and have done 3 courses of Isotretinoin (accutane)
My first piece of advice is do not read the horror stories, there are lots of people wh have had very positive experiences with accutane and I am one of them. For me, accutane was a life saver, it turned my life around!
Yes, most people do find that it gets worse before it gets better, but really, in the big scheme of things it isn't that bad or that long to cope. As the weeks go on you will find you devise coping strategies and your body does adjust to the drug and you will feel that the peeling etc seems to subside (even if only a little)
My top tips are as follows:

1. Try not to obsess about your skin, accutane will do it's job
2. Do not pick, your skin is thinner on accutane and if you pick you will cause damage
3. Avoid mirrors (this helps with not picking!)
3.When you go out, avoid spending time in the sun and always wear a sunscreen no matter what the weather
4. Drink lots of water
5. Find stuff to do to occupy yourself - if youre at uni you have lots of studying to keep you busy!
6. If you want to feel better about yourself try doing manicures, pedicures, body lotions (this also helps combat dryness) etc - all kind of beauty stuff but nothing that involves mirrors or your face!
7. Always have a lip balm close at hand!
8. Only use very gentle products on your skin
9. Try to relax and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel now that you have started your accutane journey.
10. Use the acne.org boards to chat to people :)

I know the tips are simple and you've probably heard them all before but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that you will get through the treatment, when you look back on this post in months to come you will not believe how far you have come :)

#3 GirlInterrupter

GirlInterrupter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Self disgust is self obsession honey, and I'll do as I please.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi, I'm 35 and have done 3 courses of Isotretinoin (accutane)
My first piece of advice is do not read the horror stories, there are lots of people wh have had very positive experiences with accutane and I am one of them. For me, accutane was a life saver, it turned my life around!
Yes, most people do find that it gets worse before it gets better, but really, in the big scheme of things it isn't that bad or that long to cope. As the weeks go on you will find you devise coping strategies and your body does adjust to the drug and you will feel that the peeling etc seems to subside (even if only a little)
My top tips are as follows:

1. Try not to obsess about your skin, accutane will do it's job
2. Do not pick, your skin is thinner on accutane and if you pick you will cause damage
3. Avoid mirrors (this helps with not picking!)
3.When you go out, avoid spending time in the sun and always wear a sunscreen no matter what the weather
4. Drink lots of water
5. Find stuff to do to occupy yourself - if youre at uni you have lots of studying to keep you busy!
6. If you want to feel better about yourself try doing manicures, pedicures, body lotions (this also helps combat dryness) etc - all kind of beauty stuff but nothing that involves mirrors or your face!
7. Always have a lip balm close at hand!
8. Only use very gentle products on your skin
9. Try to relax and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel now that you have started your accutane journey.
10. Use the acne.org boards to chat to people Posted Image

I know the tips are simple and you've probably heard them all before but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that you will get through the treatment, when you look back on this post in months to come you will not believe how far you have come Posted Image

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it. I am ashamed to say I came off the Accutane, only because I have a wedding in two weeks time. Straight after that, I'll be back on it and take heed of all your advice. Many thanks. x

#4 danielpimen

danielpimen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hey I'm in university too and Accutane as well. What really helps for me is to just surround myself with my friends, this usually helps me get my mind off my face. I feel horrible walking to class in between classes because there are so many people around me. What I usually do is I always go to class a bit early to prevent walking in a crowd. This usually causes me to be less anxious. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users