Photo

Sudden Onset Of Oily Eyelids/nose... Causing Vision Problems. Help.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

22 year old male..ive been dealing with this for the past year, been to numerous doctors. have gotten thyroid, hormone and allergy tested. all came back good

my nose and eyelids got extremely oily all of a sudden last year, my eyelids are so oily the oil seeps into my eyes and causes dry eyes (which was diagnosed by an opthamologist) you can visually see the oil on my eyes and nose, the nose oil doesnt bother me, because i can just wash it with cleanser.

but the eyes are really bothersome, i mean my vision is affected by it. im not blind, its like at night when you see a stop light its double vision, like a distorted double image of it, and books are hard to read because its so blurry

ive tried cleaning them with warm water and over the counter wipes but that makes it worse. also tried baby shampoo

one opthamologist said i have minor blepharitis, she said on a scale on 1-10, it was a 2, she said on that level it wouldnt cause oily seceretions or vision problems, so i concluded its a skin problem

what would cause the sudden onset of oily eyelids? and what can i do to reverse this weird symptom?

Edited by jason222, 25 April 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#2 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

really guys? all these views and no posts?

thanks a lot

#3 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah I get the same problem. Not sure whether you can reverse it but I find using an eye primer makes it matte. Someone on here also recommended using the Neutrogena Norwegian formula unscented hand cream. I haven't tried that yet but it's worth a go since it's fairly cheap.

#4 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

im a guy so i have no idea what an eye primer is or if i would ever do that haha. unless it reduces it considerably

so it affects your vision like mine?

i just dont understand why this is, i mean i can handle an oily nose// face because you can just cleanse that part regualrly but the oily eyelids and it affects your vision?
its just so unfair, its like a curse, i mean its your vision for christ sake its the most important part of being a human being.

#5 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

It gets into my eyes and stings/burns and causes blurry vision. Eye primers just mattify the area, people use them to stop eye makeup sliding off. But they are expensive so maybe just try using some translucent powder on your eyelids first; might be all that you need. Ask a woman you know if you can try some of their translucent powder before you buy anything. You'll need to check that it isn't going to affect the blepharitis though.

#6 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

money isnt it a issue so could you just please give me a specific brand of the eye primer that i could look up or anything like that.

had it helped you?

haha and also would it be noticable in public if i was wearing it?

#7 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

Urban Decay eye primer potion in original, you only need a small amount. Shouldn't be able to see it if you use the original. Yeah it stops the oil getting into my eyes. :)

#8 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

thank you so much for your help

one more question though. have you been to any dermatologists or seen any research as to what causes our problem? ie extremely oily eyelids?

ive searched google for hundreds of hours and cannot find a reason. this is so rare and i dont get it.. i mean i understand having an oily face

but the eyelids? there has to be a unique cause to this problem.. you know?

#9 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I saw derms in my teens and early twenties. I have oily skin all over my face so I never questioned my derms about the eyelids specifically. I suspect many people have oily eyelids to a certain extent - but as we are prone to it we just have more oil there than the average person.

Not seen any research on it, only people talking about it on here.

I think reducing the refined sugar in my diet reduced the oil on my face but I had to suspend the diet I was on and it got worse again.

Maybe we just have more sebaceous glands there?

#10 jason222

jason222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

yeah maybe a few people on an acne forum might have it, but in terms of per capita to the rest of the population ive never heard of this, nor seen it

as far as eating well goes, i noticed minor improvements. but ive never eaten too well nor have i eaten too poorly either in my life, also i didnt change my diet whatsoever when this started happening

another weird thing about all of this is that throught this year and half i have been dealing with this issue, ive noticed that there has been 3 or 4 times when for about a couple days or so when my eyelids stop becoming oily all of a sudden.. and i dont do anything differently during these phases.

do you have digestive issues by the way? ive always had constipation issues but when it started to get really bad this was right when my oily eyelids started happening.

#11 RHD64

RHD64

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Jason, I'm a 47 year old male with what sounds like a similar situation. I have been diagnosed with blepharitis but have noticed that my eyelids have grown increasingly more oily over the past couple of years. I do think it affects my vision, i.e. blurriness and I swear sometimes it feels like I'm wearing contacts...but in the wrong eyes. I do wash my eyelids at night and in the morning. In fact, one doctor told me to use a Q-tip and a little bit of baby shampoo to wash my eyelids. I think it helps sometimes. Are your eyes red? Mine are and have been since I noticed the oil issue. I'm actually going to the eye doctor in two weeks for a general eye exam and will definitely bring up the oil problem.

#12 Corncob

Corncob

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have oily eyelids, too. It interferes with the contacts I wear. Try using an eyelid cleanser. I get Ocusoft lid cleanser from my eye doctor and it costs less than buying it from the store. Rinsing the eyes with hot water also helps. Try putting a wash cloth soaked in hot water over your eyes for a little while. It draws the oil out and is also relaxing!