6 replies to this topic

#1 The Overlord

The Overlord

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hello,
so I have done some research but I am having problems finding some good answers. I have moderate acne, which always clears up in the summer completely. I read on many sites that it is just due to the tanning, which supposedly covers up all the blemishes and there is no evidence that sun exposure helps acne.
Well my face is evidence enough for me! I know that my pimples aren't just covered up because there are none when I'm in the sun a lot!
Now I don't see sun bathing as a good treatment, since it can cause much more harm to the skin.

Thats why I wanted to know: Why exactly does the sun help? What exactly does it do to the skin that helps acne?

I know that the body produces a lot of vitamin D when exposed to the sun so I started taking around 5000IU of Vitamin D per day. This hasn't helped much and high doses of Vitamin D are as controversial as sun exposure.

So what else could there be that the sun is doing to my skin that would clear up my acne? I mean yes, it does include tanning and covering up some of the red marks, but there has to be more to that since my face is always completely clear in the summer!

What do you guys think?

#2 shadowofbeauty

shadowofbeauty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm not an expert or anything, but maybe the sun "exfoliates" the skin in a way by burning the top layer of skin (I think even tanned skin gets this way by producing a new, darker layer of skin), forcing the skin to produce another layer. I don't know, that's just my theory. I don't really get out in the sun enough to put it into practice.

#3 Starlitskies

Starlitskies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

I've always heard that there's two reasons sun can help your acne. First, is Vitamin D like you said. Secondly, the sun can dry up the oil on your face, which leads to less acne. However, just remember that too much sun exposure can damage your skin, which can lead to even worse acne, so just be careful! :) Personally, I think the sun might help a bit, but mostly I just like being tan because it hides my acne scars and blemishes more. Plus, skin just looks healthier when it's tan.
Who says? Who says you're not perfect? Who says you're not worth it? Who says you're not beautiful? Who says?
I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me!

#4 ihatemyskin94

ihatemyskin94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

it dries up your skin and acne. tans you to camoflauge acne/marks and gives you vitamin D! even better if you go in the ocean.

#5 jameslavz

jameslavz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

Yeah, when i went to spain for 2 weeks within 2 days my skin cleared up and it was fine. Weird, then about 2 weeks after i come home i start breaking out again.

#6 rockie

rockie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Photography and playing guitar. What else? Yeah, uh, being a typical early 20's gal. I like to thrift store shop and hike in the mountains. I like reading. I don't enjoy television. Seriously. Except for Curb Your Enthusiasm and Workaholics. As far as face care? I enjoy making my own home ade face masks and all of that. I've taken a liking to more natural approaches and it's slowly paying off. The never ending road to clear skin, eh?!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

I've noticed the same thing. When I spend alot of time at the pool in the summer, 90% of my acne clears up. It's awesome. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "evidence" lending to the fact that sun exposure "clears" your acne. But you shouldn't really need evidence, it if works for you, then that's good enough! It definitely works for me. I think moderate sun exposure is fine, just don't overdue it. Everything in moderation. You know, vitamin D is necessary for the human body to function correctly. It regulates over 200 genes in cells all over the body. It's important for bone health, and helps the immune system perform better , and in some studies, actually helps activate the immune system to fight off cancer , flu, and pneumonia. Ironic, huh? Pretty crazy, considering the sunscreen industry spends millions millions a year on advertising to convince the American public that the sun is so, so terrible for your health. In some cases, it probably is. If you tan every single day to a crisp and allow yourself to burn constantly and get right back out into the sun, of course that's unhealthy. The problem with the vast majority of people is that they have no idea what the word moderation means.

There's alot of dispute going around as far as just how bad the sun is for you. Of course, if you overdue it , ANYTHING is bad for you but human beings are made to be in the sun. Our ancestors didn't wear sunscreen and they were running around in the sun all day. So, actually, if you think about it, we were evolved to live life in the sun. Plenty of people can dispute that, and that's fine. You just have to do the research and kindof come to your own conclusion because there are two sides of the fence here. I , personally, allow myself up to an hour of sun exposure a day in the summer and don't use tanning beds. Tanning beds aren't natural, I'm all for taking the natural route and don't think that something as natural as the sun(in moderation) can possibly be bad for me. I think an 30 minutes to an hour of sun a day is natural and avoiding the sun seems silly. How is it unhealthy to hangout in the sun alittle but it IS healthy to spend all day in my apartment avoiding the sunlight? Watching CNN and eating mcdonald's cheeseburgers? It seems like they just want us to be scared of everything and sit inside watching their propaganda TV and eating their poison food but they want us to avoid the sun like the plague. I just don't buy it. When you overdue it or allow yourself to burn constantly is when the problems seem to arise.

I've been taking 5,000 IU's of D3 and it's helped the tiny, under the skin pimples(the ones that never come to a head) clear up tremendously. I've only been taking D3 for about a month and a half now, which isn't very long. So I'm going to keep taking it and hopefully get my mild/moderate acne totally under control. I basically only break out on my forehead now, usually about 3 or 4 pimples at a time which isn't that bad but they are VERY red and irritated. I do yogurt masks and that helps calm the irritation incredibly. I can't wait for the pools to open this summer , the sun keeps me energetic, happy and acne free! Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by rockie, 26 April 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#7 The Overlord

The Overlord

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

You guys have some good points! I also read now that the UV rays kill the bacteria on your skin. I also noticed during the last couple of days while i spent a lot of time in the sun with my shirt on, that the acne on my shoulders and back also healed up a lot. So i guess that the vitamin d does have some more effect. I think I will get my vitamin d levels checked at the end of the summer so i can keep them up over the winter. For now ill just keep on getting some sun in moderation i think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users