Photo

My Accutane Journey- 24, F (Photos)

accutane log acne solodyn vitamin e fish oil red mark makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 ready4change

ready4change

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello everyone! I'm really excited to start this log...there has been so much emotion surrounding starting accutane that I'm happy to have a release, and maybe to help some people along the way like so many of the other logs have helped me!

Here's my acne history: (a little long, but in case you're curious)

I'm a 24 year old female, and have been struggling with acne for the past 12 years. It was relatively moderate in high school, and I did my first round of antibiotics that cleared it up a bit. I struggled with it throughout college (always had at least one spot) and was on and off different topicals (benzaclin, differin, duac), but it was never too serious. Then I graduated, got a real job, and something happened about a year ago and my face FREAKED OUT. I had gone off of bc for the first time in 4 years so maybe that was it, but I had never ever seen it that bad! I tried Dan's regimen at that time and it actually only made it worse. In a fit of frustration I finally went to the derm-- she initially mentioned accutane but I definitely didn't think I needed it (now I wish I had just done it!). I went on a 4 month course of Solodyn and it worked wonders-- by September I was totally clear!

I stayed relatively clear until around Christmas when I started getting a few cysts. At that time I decided to go au naturel and try the Oil Cleansing Method, which worked great for two weeks, my skin never felt better, but then I started to break out again. I also started using Bare Minerals makeup at that time. I don't know at all what caused it, but the absolute worst breakout of my life ensued. Seriously, there wasn't a piece of my face that didn't have acne. It was horrendous. I went back to the derm determined to get accutane, but of course as a girl you have to wait at least a month. So she put me back on Solodyn while we waited.

Amazingly, the Solodyn cleared me up almost 100% in about 6 weeks. I went back to the derm to discuss my options, but since I had such a bad experience coming off of Solodyn last time, we decided I should still go through with the accutane, since all I want is a more permanent solution. It was a really tough decision, especially coming up to summer and I'm planning a big two week trip to Europe in May, but I was anxious to just get it started, and would have had to start the ipledge process all over again if I waited.

So here I am! I started my pills 4 days ago. I was initially prescribed 40mg/day, but I got terrible side effects on day 2 (really bad lower back pain, extreme exhaustion where I could hardly get up, loopy headed-ness, joint pain in my hips). I called my derm and she said to take one pill every other day to average to 20 mg/day, so that's what I'm doing now.

Today was my third pill, and the side effects were much better with the lower dose. I'm also taking some supplements (Vitamin E, fish oil, glucosamine) and drinking a TON of water, which probably all help too. I think I'm still adjusting to the meds, but at least I can still function, unlike last weekend.

Here are pics of me tonight. I have started breaking out again a bit (guessing this is the start of the IB....praying it doesn't get really bad). It looks worse than it actually is because of all the red marks left over from my insane breakout in February. I'm really nervous but excited for six months from now!! Posted Image

20120424front.JPG 20120424fore.JPG 20120424left.JPG 20120424right.JPG
Started Accutane 4/21/12!
Month 1: 40mg every other day

#2 blinkiii

blinkiii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Good luck! (:
Accutane was one of the best experiences of my life so I hope that it works for you and you enjoy it!
My favorite part was how it eliminated all oils so I could eventually go for weeks without washing my hair haha. Not that I ever did that because that would be kind of gross but if I wanted to I at least had that option (: And this is coming from someone who usually gets greasy hair at night after washing it that morning!

Anyway, I wish you the best!

#3 The Outfield

The Outfield

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

It stinks the acne kept coming and going for you. I hope Accutane can help rid you of your acne troubles for good.
My Accutane Log
Started February 24, 2012
5 month course

Month 1 - 40mg
Month 2 - 60mg
Month 3 - 60mg
Month 4 - 60mg
Month 5 - 60mg

#4 SupernatualFanatic

SupernatualFanatic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Congratulations on going on Accutane! It's going to be the best love/hate relationship you've ever had! This is my 8th day so we're goin 5 days behind eachother, but update me and let me know how you're doing! If you're going through your IB, remember: It will get better for sure. This will be the worst, and it may continue for a long period of time, but it WILL get better. Just have the strength to push through it! I I know you can do it, and if you ever have a really stressed day over what Accutane's side effects are doing to you, just come here and vent it out, bitch it alllll out, cause we are all here to listen to you, and we are all going through the same thing. If this is your IB, I hope it goes away quicky, and I hope your side effects aren't too awful!

- Taylor :)

My Accutane Log! - Starting 4/17/2012!
Month 1 - 80mg

Month 2 - 80mg

Month 3 - 80mg

Month 4 - 80mg

Month 5 - 80mg

Month 6 -80mg

Accutane is my new best friend <3.

#5 ready4change

ready4change

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone! It's so great to have this and to know so many other people going through the same thing. Taylor-- glad we're starting together! I'm super impressed you're starting right at 80mg...my body can hardly handle 40mg every other day. But that's what I'm doing and the side effects have become tolerable. I'm not super tired anymore, and although my legs and hips and back are sore, I can still do most normal things without a problem.

The biggest issue I'm having is working out. I love to work out (I do triathlons, races, etc), and it's a big part of who I am. I've found that working out, even a mild workout, makes my soreness really bad and the side effects even worse. From reading other logs it kinda sounds like I'm just going to have to not work out too much while I'm on this, which sucks! How has everyone else dealt with this?

I'm finishing up my first week today. IB hasn't been terrible, but I've gone from having no active bumps to getting 1-3 small whiteheads every day. The good thing is they seem to come and go really fast. Like, I'll start to feel a bump in the morning, it will come to a head by mid-afternoon, and the next time I wash my face is falls off. I hope it stays like this, this is manageable! It's GREAT not to have cysts anymore!!

I did notice today that my face is starting to get really dry and dull. Looks like I'm recovering from a sunburn. Going to pick up a moisturizing mask tomorrow from Clarins that has worked wonders for me in the past....I'll let y'all know how it goes!

#6 ready4change

ready4change

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ugh, this is definitely the initial breakout. I'm getting cyst-like pimples almost every day on my cheeks. I'm cheating a bit and putting some clean and clear advantage on the really active ones, but trying to leave the regular whiteheads alone to run their course.

Some side effects seem to be getting better while some get worse. The exhaustion and the muscle soreness/joint pain are getting more tolerable....I just basically have come to terms with the fact that my lower back and hips will have a dull throbbing for the next six months.

My face is getting increasingly dry. I have this dilemma where I have to wear makeup (I work in a very professional setting and looking crappy is not an option), but by the end of the day you can see all the flakes under the makeup. Does anyone have a good solution for this, besides removing my makeup, moisturizing, and putting it all back on again?

I've also started to feel kind of loopy lately. Like my brain isn't 100% together. I'll forget names really easily, and I've stumbled over some words lately. Is that a really bad sign?

Gosh I really just hope none of these side effects are permanent...Posted Image

#7 Tworley08

Tworley08

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ugh, this is definitely the initial breakout. I'm getting cyst-like pimples almost every day on my cheeks. I'm cheating a bit and putting some clean and clear advantage on the really active ones, but trying to leave the regular whiteheads alone to run their course.

Some side effects seem to be getting better while some get worse. The exhaustion and the muscle soreness/joint pain are getting more tolerable....I just basically have come to terms with the fact that my lower back and hips will have a dull throbbing for the next six months.

My face is getting increasingly dry. I have this dilemma where I have to wear makeup (I work in a very professional setting and looking crappy is not an option), but by the end of the day you can see all the flakes under the makeup. Does anyone have a good solution for this, besides removing my makeup, moisturizing, and putting it all back on again?

I've also started to feel kind of loopy lately. Like my brain isn't 100% together. I'll forget names really easily, and I've stumbled over some words lately. Is that a really bad sign?

Gosh I really just hope none of these side effects are permanent...Posted Image

The same thing happened to me on my IB I was breaking out seemed like every hour a new cyst would come up and they were so painful and they would bust ehh... Butt I got a prescription of prednisone to stop my IB. Thank god.. But just hang in there it will get better I promise! And the pain, I have the same, my back hurts all the time and my bones hurt also. Like this morning my knees was hurting so bad I could even move it.. My ankles and wrist hurt a fewdays, i think that pain is gone for now.. But it'll be worth it in the llong run! When I first started accutane I was using an Olay moisturizer and it wasn't helping at all.. I went to Target and found the Neutrogena Naturals, nightly facial moisturizer and I haven't been peeling yet, and I wear makeup and no peeling! I would deff give that a try! And good luck let me know if you have any questions! :)
Start date: April 17
:Severe/cystic acne:
Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 4
Accutane- 40mg a day
Biotin-500mg a day
Prednisone-10mg a day

Month 4
Accutane 40mg a day -
Biotin-500mg a day
My Accutane log= http://www.acne.org/...pe-for-success/

#8 ready4change

ready4change

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Tworley08 that's so good to hear! I'm trying to get some antibiotics from my derm....she had mentioned Bactrim, but I'm guessing that's about the same as Prednisone?

Are you worried at all that the pain in your muscles and joints will be permanent? I can't imagine what would be making them hurt like this except for some pretty serious damage. I'm pretty active so I think that's what I'm most worried about! I can totally handle it for six months though, so fingers crossed!

I just bought Aveeno smart essentials PM moisturizer so we'll see if that helps too.

I'm leaving for a 2.5 week trip to Europe this Friday, and I'm so worried about my skin! I know it won't look good, I just want to not hate myself in pictures Posted Image

#9 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oh my god I'm jealous! 2.5 weeks I'm Europe!! Have an amazing time! Good luck with you skin, make sure you take everything you might need to take care of yourself. I was just in flordia for a week and I went through a bottle of spray on sun screen in 4 days and forgot my lip care prescription and I fell apart. My lips are in tough shape now. I couldnt wait to get back into my surroundings so I could simply take better care of me. I'm better now that I am home and have all of my lotions and potions with me lol.

So much fun though! I envy you, I've always wanted to visit Europe. You'll do amazing and your pictures will be great!!

Good luck with your accutane course, hope your side effects go away soon. How long have you been on accutane?

#10 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

hows it all going?