Photo

Paleo Diet- Autoimmune Version

vitamin vitamins vitamin d paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hey guys,

I been on the Paleo diet on and off for a couple months before this but never got clear. So I wanted to really test this out very strict to see what will happen.

So I been on a strict (no cheating) autoimmune version of the Paleo diet for the last 13 weeks. But I am not getting the results that I have hoped for by this time.
So I eliminated tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds and shellfish in addition to the Paleo diet.

This is what I eat: Meats, chicken, fish (not shellfish though), vegetables (except for the night shade family), coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, sea salt, sea weed (sometimes), organ meats (chicken liver, chicken gizzards, chicken hearts, cow tongue, beef liver), sweet potatos, squash.. My goal was to wait untill I was completely clear and start re-introducing some of these foods but I never got completely clear for longer than 2 weeks.

My psoriasis and acne went away after 8 weeks. Unfortunately the Psoriasis came back about 50% after 2 weeks (after the 8 weeks). Its only in two small spots anyway, so no big deal for now. And also my acne came back.

I have tackled my sleep issues and its slowly improving.
I also meditate 4 to 5 days per week to reduce stress.
Made sure to increase my vitamin D intake.
I fast anywhere from 14 to 18 hours per day. Its actually not that hard now that I am a fat burner:)
I am familiar with the GAPS diet but do not really want to go that strict to be honest.

Eventually I do want to see a functional doctor to figure out what else is going on. But at this time I can't afford it.

I was wondering if any adult on the Paleo diet here has any other suggestions for me on what I else I can try? Or I should just be patient coz I am still healing?

Obviously I am not gonna just go back to eating crappy food. Because I have already experienced many benefits: weight loss, more energry, no more temporary spring psoriasis outbreak

Thanks in advance:)
dancedd

Edited by dancedd, 27 April 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#2 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've read that eating starch in combination with eating a high fat diet can be a hindrance. If it were me, I'd try removing the sweet potato and replacing those with fruits instead.

#3 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I've read that eating starch in combination with eating a high fat diet can be a hindrance. If it were me, I'd try removing the sweet potato and replacing those with fruits instead.

Thats something I can consider except for the fruit part. I already eliminated so much that I am might as well try removing sweet potatoes.

#4 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Why is it that you don't eat fruits?

Without starch or simple sugars, you don't really have any great sources of glucose. Glucose is used to maintain the mucus membranes in your body, among other things, so it's not something I'd recommend. When you eat a lot of protein, insulin is released and your blood sugar lowers. Cortisol is released as a counterbalance to raise your blood sugar. I don't remember the exact mechanism in which that occurs. Or if that happens in people who get sufficient calories. Or whether getting sufficient calories is relevant. Haha.

Personally, when I ate really high fat and my only source of carbs was a few bowls of vegetables for a few months, I noticed that I became way more sensitive to other foods and even other environmental factors.
http://www.dannyrodd...-paleo-for.html
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/10/17/lactose-intolerance-milk-isnt-the-problem-youre-the-problem.html

Yes, my story and Danny's are both anecdotal, so take that as it is, but it's something I've noticed in my experience and experiences that i've read around on these boards. It's by no means a law that you do become more sensitive no matter what, and the situation goes deeper than that. However, the way most Paleo diets are structured, there ARE things missing that can go in the other direction for some people.

In my limited knowledge and experience, the fact your acne got better and then worse again indicates that you might have rid yourself of something that could've been causing damage in some way, but your restricted diet doesn't allow you to really work at the cause. Either that, or it is remedying an issue at the expense of another issue. Though the body, being the interconnected system that it is, the low functioning of one aspect of it affects all others.

Aside from the gut, which is a huge factor in intolerance and allergies, there are other reasons people can become more sensitive as they transition to eating healthier...
http://www.functiona...ergy-and-shock/

Are your limbs cold usually? Croaky voice? Could be a sign of a low functioning thyroid. I eat in such a way that raises the body temperature of my body (which surprisingly is not solely dependent on how much you eat, but what exactly you eat) and as a result I'm not hypersensitive to things anymore like when I started changing my diet.

Anyway, these are all leads to look at. I don't have all the information regarding this stuff, just trying to widen the knowledge pool a bit.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 24 April 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#5 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Tunnelvisionary- so what do you eat?

I may consider this since I have nothing to lose and I gotten this far.

#6 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Long story short, I eat good quality foods of things I crave. If I crave beef, I make sure it is quality and I'll eat it. If I really need something sweet, I eat it.

It's not very structured advice, but honestly, listening to your own cravings helps you gauge what exactly YOUR needs are. Are your meals often unsatisfying? If they are, you're not getting everything you need.

Lately though, I've been eating lots of fruits. Loading up on good types of carbs has done loads for me being able to handle sugar and I'm able to eat larger meals again without breaking out. I can even handle processed sugary foods again without breaking out (unless I overload on it)

I'll be honest, I'm not where I want to be right now. My face is pretty clear, but I still have to stick to a certain list of approved foods for myself. The problem is that I don't get enough calories, and I haven't been able to go shopping for groceries in a little while, so I've been a little careless. After finals are over in the coming week though, I'm going to be more rigorous, hopefully so I can begin to eat foods again without consequence.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 25 April 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

My psoriasis and acne went away after 8 weeks. Unfortunately the Psoriasis came back about 50% after 2 weeks (after the 8 weeks). Its only in two small spots anyway, so no big deal for now. And also my acne came back.

You should check out the linoleic acid thread, especially since you also have psoriasis.

#8 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

You should check out the linoleic acid thread, especially since you also have psoriasis.

Thanks! I will look into safflower oil. Looks like it helps both acne and psoriasis.