Photo

How Do You Change Your User Name?

user name profile change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 booots

booots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hello, apologies if this has been asked before. I searched and found nothing of relevance.

Is it possible and how is it done?

Thanks Posted Image

A:
- go to your profile, click "Edit Settings"
- chose tab "Displayed name"
- enter your new nickname and save it

/max 2 times/month, no other restrictions/
Seva

#2 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:46 AM

It's possible, but if I'm right in saying you have to be a 'Veteran Member' before you can do this.

My Settings > Display Name

In some circumstances I believe a moderator can change your name if you aren't a veteran member. I'm not sure of the reasons in doing so, but I'm guessing it's linked to personal security and privacy, ie, if your username is your real name etc.

The only other option would be to create a new account.

I'm sure a moderator will jump in with clearer advice ;)

#3 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Avenger is right, you have to be a veteran member to change your username. Once you're a veteran (after 120 posts), click your username on the top-right of the screen. From the drop-down menu, select "My Settings". And then click "Display Name" in the menu on the left.

Moderators don't have the ability to change usernames (even though we've asked for it more than once, it would make things a lot easier), we'd have to go through Admin. I'm sure if you PM a moderator (provided you have a good reason), they'd be happy to pass it on to Admin.

Duplicate accounts are not allowed per the board rules, as soon as it's discovered, it will be banned, so that's not the way to go.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#4 wowowowow

wowowowow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

So you can't delete your account and you can't change your username until you have 120 posts? Seems like an overzealous attempt to keep the number of members high.

#5 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

So you can't delete your account and you can't change your username until you have 120 posts? Seems like an overzealous attempt to keep the number of members high.

Yup! And you're not allowed to create duplicate accounts, so that keeps the number of members down. I fail to see how changing your username will increase the number of members, and that's what the OP had a question about.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#6 wowowowow

wowowowow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

And I fail to see why you can't delete your account or change your username until you have a ridiculous number of posts.

#7 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

And I fail to see why you can't delete your account or change your username until you have a ridiculous number of posts.

Edit your posts and stop posting. Or ask a moderator nicely, so we can pass it on to Admin (though posts like these usually don't help much). Or think before you pick a username. We didn't pick it for you. And I think 120 posts in the 5 1/2 years you're a member now isn't that ridiculous. it's not even 2 posts a month. Though I agree that changing your username is something you should be able to do yourself, or at least the option should be given to moderators. But you can't change it, we can't change it, and it's obviously not a priority, since we've asked Admin to give us that option more than once.

#8 ramblinrose

ramblinrose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

oh noez, i really want to change my username because i didn't think b4 picking one! i realized too late that it probably shouldn't be connected to an email addy lol!
darn darn darn. i hope it won't take me 5 years to get to 120 posts.

#9 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

On occasions, i.e somebody uses their real name and doesn't want to be found via Google, we have manually changed a username. But if we changed everybody's who got bored of their current display name, it'd be a full time job I fear. haha

#10 Seva

Seva

Acne.org developer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

Paul, AKL and Co:

There is 2 levels of names at the message board:
1) Account name that is associated with your password and is used for identification
2) Displayed name that ANY member can change

To change your displayed name:
- go to your profile, click "Edit Settings"
- chose tab "Displayed name"
1.jpg
- enter your new nickname and save it

As you see from the screenshot above, you can do it only 2 times a month.

BTW: I an posting this with 1 post and as "Member"

#11 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Ah, this has changed from the past. This was for veteran members only at one point.

Thanks for the update Seva.

#12 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Ah, good! It must indeed have changed recently. Thanks, Seva!

How many posts before you go from Junior Member to Member status?

None, I think. You're a member. The "Junior Member" is just a description that you can change on your settings page. You should be able to change your username now. Just keep in mind that it's only the name that's displayed here. You will still need your old name to log in.

#13 booots

booots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have no idea how to change Display Name or Member Type. I don't see the same things from the screen shot above

http://oi50.tinypic.com/in96k6.jpg

#14 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Oh...bugger... I just tried with a test account, and you're right, those options are missing from the profile settings page. Apparently, Seva is wrong then, and you can't change it after all. I'll send him a message.

#15 ramblinrose

ramblinrose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

darn, i got my hopes 4 nothing! Posted Image

#16 Guest_seva test account_*

Guest_seva test account_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I dropped the cache at the server, please try again.

#17 ramblinrose

ramblinrose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

i have a new name now, thank u thank u thank u! i feel much better now ^-^

#18 booots

booots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

I dropped the cache at the server, please try again.

Thanks Buddy

#19 Summerh

Summerh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Is the username that is found on Google and the "display name" the same thing?

#20 johndoe1181

johndoe1181

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

I should probably change mine later than. I'm really a Jane Doe than a John Doe, and even then, I give up my first name :)

Yulia)))