How Can I Get Rid Of Keloids?

steroid keloid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eric Buntain_*

Guest_Eric Buntain_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Okay I have Keloid Acne on my shoulders and some parts on my arm, (I can post pictures if needed) I went to the dermatologist today and the only thing she could do was inject them with some steroid, that I've done before but I have to wait between like a month between treatments, I probably have about 25-30 on each shoulder so that would take like 3+ visits just to clear one shoulder. I want to get rid of them as soon as possible. The reason I want to get rid of them is I want to get tattoo on my arm/shoulder which is where the keloids are. Also not being able to wear a sleeveless shirt or go swimming without feeling like crap or gross. The dermatologist suggested:
• Injecting Steroids [I'm not in favor of this I'm impatient]
• Compressing Them [She didn't suggest that because they just come back]
• Cutting them out [She also didn't suggest that because she said Keloids are formed from unhealed skin or whatever and cutting them out would just make them bigger]

I was thinking if laser treatment would be possible for Keloids? or other Suggestions. I'm going to call another Hospital tomorrow and set up an appointment with another dermatologist (this is in a bigger city I live in the country) so I'm hoping he will be better or have more options for me.

#2 HoldMaCaque

HoldMaCaque

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Im in the same sitution as you i have like 15 keloid/hypertrophic scars on my shoulder blades. Don't want to take off my shirt either. I am going for either co2 pulsed laser treatments or steroid injections im still debating...keep updating this thread if u decide which treatment u want

#3 rachel80

rachel80

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Have you looked into skin needling or a derma roller. Needling of the keloid scar in theory helps to break up the collagen and hopefully colalgen can remold itself.

#4 Ceebs

Ceebs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Okay the best way to get rid of a keloid is to go for a steroid injection, and additional silicon piece to prevent the skin from forming a keloid by keeping it flat. I'm assuming your keloids are relative small in size. So steroid injections or cryosurgery is the best. if you want to be extra sure the keloid won't return cytotoxic injections are best - apparently chances of a keloid returning are only about 15-10%. Other injections or treatments may have a keloids return about 30-40% of the time

To be honest I can understand that keloids are ugly but if you have removed a keloid and keloids are formed from excessive overgrowth of collagen. When you get tattoos, to heal from a tattoo may cause keloid development again. I would strongly recommend not getting a tattoo. Btw, just a correctio,n skin needling will make keloids worst because you are causing more collagen to be created.

Laser treatments do not help either because it stimulates collagen growth and keloids are formed from excessive collagen growth. Instead it makes it worst.

just a question, but are your keloids painful and itchy, if not, it's just hypertrophic and it will heal in some time (max 2 years)

#5 caitlynnf

caitlynnf

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

If you do try needling/rolling you might want to try using a copper peptide product as well. This would help rebuild your tissue and possibly result in less scarring!! Hope it works out for you!

#6 RAMONES

RAMONES

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hey man.

I appreciate what the other guy said (Ceebs) but ive had keloids on my back and chest for like 2 years now and i decided enough was enough and got them tattoo's over. I've got tattoos on my arms too and to be honest there wasn't much difference getting these done than anytime before. Yeh the chest hurt a lot more but thats because its the chest. Single handedly the most painful experience of my life.

Anyway. They're covered, ive never been happier and in my experience they havn't got any bigger. They haven't got any smaller mind you but that was never going to happen.

Also i didn't rush to this decision. I had Steroid injections many times and it didnt help.

If you got any questions man just PM.

Take it easy.

#7 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Try a Dermaroller followed by daily application of Castor Oil. This oil is supposed to be solvent to abnormal skin cells like those in scar tissue, promoting their death. Over time the scar mass should soften and shrink away, leaving behind only healthy skin cells.

Oxy Maximum Face Wash

Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF15

#8 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

While all of the suggestions offered are good suggestions, none of them will be faster than steroid injections. Unless you meant you can only do one steroid injection at a time and then have to wait a month for the second one...in that case then dermarolling might be faster, but not by a whole lot.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products