Photo

How to eliminate sebaceous hyperplasia

hypertrophic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Proxy

Proxy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:46 AM

Guys here is how I finally won the battle over my sebaceous hyperplasia after 5 hard and long years of searching for the solution. I am wrighting my experiences in order to pay back for all the very useful information I have gleaned from the members on this forum. Thank you all very much, a large part of my successful results are due to your contributions!

Starting in 10th grade my acne cysts on my nose developed into sebaceous hyperplasia (which looks like hypertrophic scars) they are actually over grown oil glands. There were three large ones on left side of my nose, 4 in middle and 2 on left side. My dermatologits treated them for 3 years as acne lesions (I believe he was just trying to sqeeze me for the money) finally this march I told him to excise it because I coulden't tolerate them anymore, he admitted they were probably not acne but sebaceous hyperlasia. I made an appointment with a plastic surgeon for 5-25 but this guy Dr. Havard seemed very shady and wanted me to do laser, I opted to find another plastic surgeon (even though it would have been easier to just go with the first Dr. after reading the many posts by experienced people here who insisted that the right Dr. makes all the difference).

On monday 9-20-04 Dr. Korn who was very honest and told me all the options (which I was well read on already) suggested electrocautery, which would cost $325. I readily agreed, he performed first injected my nose with 10 doses of local anesthesia which hurt like nothing else (imagine pushing a needle 5 inches into your nose over 30 times in different locations, one of the worst pains I have ever experienced in my life physically). Then he let it sit for 30 minutes to sock in, finally he used electrocautery machine to burn the lesions off and scrapped it occasionaly with a scalpel. The actual procedure took about 15-20 minutes. 2 days later I see an 95-100% improvement; it is very possiable I will have a perfect cosmetic result from the procedure. I am extremely pleased.

Here is the list of procedures I have tried and failed before doing electrocautery.

-Accutane twice (out of pocket cost $2500)
-Retin A
-Needle Aspiration (I was so stupid, of course it didn't work)
-Benzoyal Peroxide
-Salyic Acid
-Liquid Nitrogen (ouch, it did yield a 30-40% improvement but costs around $150)

Thank you all for your help, my war with acne and scars (sebaceous hyperplasia) is over, I am victorious! I would also like to thank my lord who has given me success, my parents who have given me the support I needed to keep up the good fight.

Good luck my friends! I wish one day, you too can stand victorious in your war with acne and scars. biggrin.gif

#2 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:03 PM

Hi I'm happy that you fixed your problem. I have a couple sebaceous hyperplasia...s, but they are small and I just use whatever acne meds are around to keep them in check. It's neat how you call your doctor "my lord." dry.gif

#3 mikeCA

mikeCA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

I have this same issue. My dermatologist is going to try and pass off the accutaine to see if insurance will cover it. I guess I just want to give it a try before I go surgical.

If this doesn't work I was thinking of trying laser (PDL). Is there any reason why you went electrocautery over laser? There is some new thing called smoothbeam that was approved by the FDA last month for this.

I'm also trying to find some place that does laser and preferably some place where you can read reviews. Has anybody looked into this?

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:07 AM

I'm so happy for you, Proxy!

#5 getting2old

getting2old

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

I just did the same thing today! I love my derm!

#6 VinceZam

VinceZam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

Some of you are going to be horrified at what I do, but I have been successful in keeping them in check.

eusa_naughty.gif
I cut them off with a straight nailclipper
shock.gif

Obviously this only works on flat parts of the face, forehead and neck. They bleed a lot and I usually do it over a weekend, friday night I cut it off, put two bandaids on top of it (the first one usually gets kind of full), and keep it like that. By monday you can barely tell it's there.

The bumps that I get are relatively small, prob 1-2mm tops and I can't get into the folds of my nose.

The ones that I cut off do not come back or keep growing, obviously this is just a stopgap measure and does not prevent more from appearing.

That's why I came to this forum, to see if someone has had any real success with these annoying bumps.

Anyways, my apologies to the Derms that I am surely putting out of work and lab workers that are not getting my hyperplasias to analyze and so on and so forth. Skip the lecture eusa_hand.gif

Vince

QUOTE (getting2old @ May 5 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#7 hilbert

hilbert

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hi Vince -

I was surfing for solutions to the same problem and came across your post. I might be able to add a little technical help. For years I've had a pair of electronics needle nosed pliers and dykes (sp?) at my desk and they USUALLY get used on sundry little fix-it projects. The dykes, however, often get used for nail clippers (human and feline) and the occasional removal of skin tabs/tags and other unwanted dermage or whatever. I had never thought to use them on these nuisance bumps!

Perhaps a big added hint is this: Dykes are sharp, but not nearly so much as nail clippers. If dykes were as sharp as the latter, they would soon be dulled cutting wire. I've had some nuisance skin tabs in delicate places and discovered that with careful placement (only going after the tab and NOT letting any of the surrounding skin get involved) AND applying slow pressure (when it starts to hurt - just pause there for a bit until you're ready to squeeze harder) - two remarkable things happen!

1 It doesn't really hurt that much when you realize you are completely done and you've got the dykes in a death grip waiting for the REAL pain to start.

2 Skin tabs bleed like hell. I'll be trying your solution to these damned sabaceous bumps, but my experience with the skin tabs has been that the slow "dull" pressure seems to smash the skin together at the cut and I've never had a drop of blood with the skin tabs since I discovered dykes. (Obviously you can't be stupid about it and cut a skin tab off your belly and then do 50 situps... But leave the site quiet for a while and it won't bleed.)

And finally - dykes don't present a substantial flat surface that has to be accommodated by un-flat skin. They won't go everywhere, but they'll go more places than clippers and they have that dull, skin smashing advantage.

Hope this helps all - felt I needed to offer my little experience in returned for what I found here!

Thanks!

QUOTE (VinceZam @ May 20 2008, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of you are going to be horrified at what I do, but I have been successful in keeping them in check.

eusa_naughty.gif
I cut them off with a straight nailclipper
shock.gif

Obviously this only works on flat parts of the face, forehead and neck. They bleed a lot and I usually do it over a weekend, friday night I cut it off, put two bandaids on top of it (the first one usually gets kind of full), and keep it like that. By monday you can barely tell it's there.

The bumps that I get are relatively small, prob 1-2mm tops and I can't get into the folds of my nose.

The ones that I cut off do not come back or keep growing, obviously this is just a stopgap measure and does not prevent more from appearing.

That's why I came to this forum, to see if someone has had any real success with these annoying bumps.

Anyways, my apologies to the Derms that I am surely putting out of work and lab workers that are not getting my hyperplasias to analyze and so on and so forth. Skip the lecture eusa_hand.gif

Vince

QUOTE (getting2old @ May 5 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#8 globebot

globebot

joshua

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

Congratulations on your results!!
I am wondering if there is any way to tell the difference between hypertrophic scars and sebaceous hyperplasia?
I think I might have what you had, as these particular "scars" have been around for maybe 3-4 years now....
Thanks!

#9 oil glands

oil glands

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

I have been using Tazorac gel (.1% strength) for over a year. Not only has it prevented more bumps from appearing but it also seems to have shrunk the size of existing bumps. My derm says that it is basically Accutane in a topical form. In any case, it is very expensive and my insurance won't cover it, but it does seem to work.

#10 guppy45

guppy45

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

Just curious, what didn't your like about the laser treatment option?

QUOTE (Proxy @ Sep 22 2004, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys here is how I finally won the battle over my sebaceous hyperplasia after 5 hard and long years of searching for the solution. I am wrighting my experiences in order to pay back for all the very useful information I have gleaned from the members on this forum. Thank you all very much, a large part of my successful results are due to your contributions!

Starting in 10th grade my acne cysts on my nose developed into sebaceous hyperplasia (which looks like hypertrophic scars) they are actually over grown oil glands. There were three large ones on left side of my nose, 4 in middle and 2 on left side. My dermatologits treated them for 3 years as acne lesions (I believe he was just trying to sqeeze me for the money) finally this march I told him to excise it because I coulden't tolerate them anymore, he admitted they were probably not acne but sebaceous hyperlasia. I made an appointment with a plastic surgeon for 5-25 but this guy Dr. Havard seemed very shady and wanted me to do laser, I opted to find another plastic surgeon (even though it would have been easier to just go with the first Dr. after reading the many posts by experienced people here who insisted that the right Dr. makes all the difference).

On monday 9-20-04 Dr. Korn who was very honest and told me all the options (which I was well read on already) suggested electrocautery, which would cost $325. I readily agreed, he performed first injected my nose with 10 doses of local anesthesia which hurt like nothing else (imagine pushing a needle 5 inches into your nose over 30 times in different locations, one of the worst pains I have ever experienced in my life physically). Then he let it sit for 30 minutes to sock in, finally he used electrocautery machine to burn the lesions off and scrapped it occasionaly with a scalpel. The actual procedure took about 15-20 minutes. 2 days later I see an 95-100% improvement; it is very possiable I will have a perfect cosmetic result from the procedure. I am extremely pleased.

Here is the list of procedures I have tried and failed before doing electrocautery.

-Accutane twice (out of pocket cost $2500)
-Retin A
-Needle Aspiration (I was so stupid, of course it didn't work)
-Benzoyal Peroxide
-Salyic Acid
-Liquid Nitrogen (ouch, it did yield a 30-40% improvement but costs around $150)

Thank you all for your help, my war with acne and scars (sebaceous hyperplasia) is over, I am victorious! I would also like to thank my lord who has given me success, my parents who have given me the support I needed to keep up the good fight.

Good luck my friends! I wish one day, you too can stand victorious in your war with acne and scars. biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

bump, i could use some help

#12 Brawn

Brawn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

actually timehealsall, i suggested the smoothbeam earlier, and although it is by far the best laser currently available for sebaceous hyperplasia, your bumps look like they would respond better to electrocautery

the one on your nose would respond better to the smoothbeam because it is less well-defined

Edited by Brawn, 28 May 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#13 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

i had smoothbeam laser last week but im not sure i have SH..I cant get a good picture to identify what i have. Mine are in my chin area and I can always extract something from them but they always fill back up again. The first two days after the smoothbeam they were ok, today they seem to be more pronoucned...Can anyone post a picture of theirs?

#14 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

anyone? I had another smoothbeam treatment today and Im looking for feedback on whether or not it helps with sevaceous hyperplasia

#15 Brawn

Brawn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

you should not be able to extract anything from SH, unless im misunderstanding what you mean by extract

#16 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Brawn @ Aug 4 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you should not be able to extract anything from SH, unless im misunderstanding what you mean by extract

brawn i see a derm again to see what i really have (in a week).

Electrocautery souind scary, as it has a chance for scarring

#17 Brawn

Brawn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

timehealsall,

i don't know if it has a chance of scarring, it might not cause scarring, i'm just skeptical and like to be careful

#18 kphooaroo

kphooaroo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

I wanted to share what FINALLY worked and it is easy and inexpensive. I went to the health food store and bought potassium iodide and rubbed it into my skin 4 times a day. It took 3 weeks to see a difference of about 70% imporvement so don't get discouraged. I took a q tip and rubbed the iodide into my skin. There is a little stinging but that's it. You can wear it during the day as it is colorless, oderless and does not have a heavy feeling when on the skin. I am told it can take 3 months to attain full results.

#19 Capman

Capman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (kphooaroo @ Aug 4 2011, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to share what FINALLY worked and it is easy and inexpensive. I went to the health food store and bought potassium iodide and rubbed it into my skin 4 times a day. It took 3 weeks to see a difference of about 70% imporvement so don't get discouraged. I took a q tip and rubbed the iodide into my skin. There is a little stinging but that's it. You can wear it during the day as it is colorless, oderless and does not have a heavy feeling when on the skin. I am told it can take 3 months to attain full results.

HI,
May I ask whether you put this all over your face or just the affected areas/bumps? Anyone else try this?

#20 Sandy100

Sandy100

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (kphooaroo @ Aug 4 2011, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Kphooaroo,

What brand of potassium iodide are you using?
is this a cream, serum or Liquid?