vitamin d vitamin a vitamin e biotin fish oil omega-3 zinc

207 replies to this topic

#161 patientx

patientx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

So perhaps this is a bit of a debunk of the experts who don't feel that the linoleic acid in our sebum is systemic or dietary.  At least the dietary part.

But the vast majority of the population gets plenty of linoleic acid from diets. If sebum linoleic acid really is dietary, very few people would be deficient there.

#162 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

So perhaps this is a bit of a debunk of the experts who don't feel that the linoleic acid in our sebum is systemic or dietary.  At least the dietary part.

But the vast majority of the population gets plenty of linoleic acid from diets. If sebum linoleic acid really is dietary, very few people would be deficient there.

Yeah, but perhaps it's about the quality? Most people probably consume a lot of oxidized PUFAs
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#163 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hautarzt. 2008 May 18

[Acne : Current pathophysiologic considerations.][Article in German]

Degitz K, Ochsendorf F.
Dermatologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Pasinger Bahnhofsplatz1, 81241, München, Deutschland, Klaus.Degitz@lrz.uni-muenchen.de.

Seborrhea, follicular hyperkeratosis, propionibacteria, and inflammatory reactions are the most important factors leading to acne. The combination of increased sebum producation and follicular hyperkeratosis facilitates an increased growth of Propionibacterium acnes. Its metabolic products lead to follicular inflammation and, in extreme cases, even to perifollicular abscesses. Sebum production is influenced by androgens, so that abnormalities in androgen levels can produce seborrhea and acne. Follicular hyperkeratosis may be triggered by a relative deficiency in linoleic acid, peroxides from sebum components, and especially by inflammatory mediators such as interleukin-1. Bacterial metabolic products such as lipases, proteases, or chemotactic factors lead to the perifollicular inflammation . This inflammation is not only a response to other pathogenetic factors, but also a cause of acne. An initial mild perifollicular infammation can induce comedogenesis via a variety of mediators. The influence of dietary factors on the initiation and course of acne has recently received increased recognition. A connection has been postulated between acne and a high nutrients with glycemic index, as well as with milk products.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#164 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

This study on white button mushrooms as a breast cancer chemo preventative found that the active compounds, linoleic acid and conjugated linoleic acid, reduced cell proliferation.

http://www.greenmedi...a-breast-cancer

And this one on resveraterol found that it reduces testosterone influenced cell proliferation. http://www.greenmedi...st-cancer-cells

Edited by alternativista, 02 March 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#165 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I decided to give grapeseed oil a try because of this thread. I've been using it as a precleanse. I apply it to dry skin and rub it in vigorously for a few minutes. I know this sounds pretty gross, but after a few minutes a bunch of sebum clogs pop out and I can feel all of them as I rub my face. Then I rinse it off and follow with my usual cleanser. So far I'm really impressed by how great this is for unclogging my pores. I'm just hoping it's not a temporary effect and I won't wind up breaking out from it in the long run. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

#166 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

In theory, using an oil with linoleic acid in to change the lipid profile of your skin seems like a great idea. i was combining this with oil cleansing (castor oil, hemp seed oil, tamanu oil mix). in theory it would dissolve all of the oil plugs i have, then change my lipid profile so that they dont get blocked again.

I switched to from safflower to hemp seed oil for about a month and my keratosis pilares and some blackheads came back. It doesn't seem to work as well.

I decided to give grapeseed oil a try because of this thread. I've been using it as a precleanse. I apply it to dry skin and rub it in vigorously for a few minutes. I know this sounds pretty gross, but after a few minutes a bunch of sebum clogs pop out and I can feel all of them as I rub my face. Then I rinse it off and follow with my usual cleanser. So far I'm really impressed by how great this is for unclogging my pores. I'm just hoping it's not a temporary effect and I won't wind up breaking out from it in the long run. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Congratulations.  Others have said massaging in oil made their blackheads and other plugs pop out.  I never noticed such miracles right before my eyes, but it did gradually clear the blackheads and KP.

#167 callendula

callendula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

I used to use a moisturizer called Dove Deep Moisture. It was the best facial lotion and of course they discontinued it. It had spf 15 and even though I am so oily, it was my favorite moisturizer. Now I know why. It had linoleic acid in it along with Vit E, Vit A, ceramides, green tea, grapeseed extract, zinc. I never knew why at the time, but looking over this thread, I see it had great ingredients. Wish I could find another lotion like it.

I'm not real keen on putting oil on my face. Anyone know a lotion that might be like the Dove one?

#168 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I used to use a moisturizer called Dove Deep Moisture. It was the best facial lotion and of course they discontinued it. It had spf 15 and even though I am so oily, it was my favorite moisturizer. Now I know why. It had linoleic acid in it along with Vit E, Vit A, ceramides, green tea, grapeseed extract, zinc. I never knew why at the time, but looking over this thread, I see it had great ingredients. Wish I could find another lotion like it.

I'm not real keen on putting oil on my face. Anyone know a lotion that might be like the Dove one?

Make it. Habits listed here including the linoleic acid boost ceramides production.

#169 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

vista, when you say topical linoleic acid what exactly are you referring to?  breaking open CLA capsules or applying an oil high in linoleic acid like grapeseed or hemp oil?  My chin gets hard solified whiteheads trapped in the crease and under my lips.  Its dry and flakey all the time but these whiteheads are so deep, not the pus kind but look like it.  They literally have to be dug out and I wondering why its not better since Ive dealt with my thyroid problems. I really thought that since I was now permanently on thyroid meds (had my thyroid removed in december due to cancer) this would somehow alter the sebum composition of my skin.  I just cant seem to stop the keratinization of all this plugs.  

#170 mimij67

mimij67

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hi All

Altavista, I have not read the entire thread. Quick question and a bit of backstory. Thank you for all of this interesting info. Sorry for the somewhat longish post....

I have just started a salicylic acid toner/hemp seed oil (very small amount-2drops AM and PM) to change my sebum and unplug my pores. The SA breaks up existing plugs, the hemp seed prevents the formation of new ones over time. I was told it could take 4 months to clear or maybe a bit more....This regimen was developed here:

http://practicalbohe...y.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/.../MiriBotanicals

I have chemical sensitivities/weakened immune system and a bladder condition called Interstitial Cystitis. Too much BP (per the regimen on this site) sent my bladder into a horrible flare for 3 days. I am being treated for my condition by a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor. She wanted me to stop the BP and SA. I did, of course, and foolishly added in jojoba oil!! thinking it did control oil and maybe it would help me transition out of BP-land. 

Boy was I ever WRONG. After stopping the BP and SA cold turkey and adding jojoba, my face is loaded with a MILLION whiteheads and blackheads, mostly whiteheads. I have NEVER been this bad in my whole life. A rash of a million bumps across my face. The ones on my cheeks and jaw are really inflammed.

I can tell the hemp is very calming and it is loosening the plugs. I caved today and tried to go get extractions but I can't really use traditional peels/extraction prep, so I brought my hemp oil and steam and the aesthetitican did not know how to extract closed comedones, (I realize, it is tricky....) so not much there. But she did try to convince me that a little BP would get me out of this horrible mess. So then I started thinking, maybe I can tolerate a little BP like I used to be able to do in the past 6 months (I can't use Dan's formula because it flared me). I might put some on for a few hours and then wash it off.

Do you think that the BP will negate the effects of the hemp seed oil? Maybe best I just wash off the BP after a bit. Or do you think I can use them together for a while. My goal is to only use a SA toner, and hemp oil, but I have to get out of this red, bumpy mess.

Thanks for reading, and for any thoughts!!!

I should add that I have not eaten sugar in 8 months (wow, can't beleive that!). No alcohol. No yeast (special diet to heal my gut and bladder). When I had to go off BP, I cut out dairy (sigh) and gluten (sigh). So I am basically paleo for a while, with occasional rice. (Sigh) So diet is probably not a factor.

Congrats on your clearing of your acne!!

BTW, Jordey, if you are reading, you said you tried the hemp oil for 2 months? The woman that developed the SA toner (make at home yourself, she has a kit) and the hemp oil regime, said that it took her 4 MONTHS to clear her acne using this method. She has writen on her site that she was ready to give up MANY TIMES in the first two months and was so glad she stuck with it. She had done a ton of research, like Vista, and had come to the conclusion that for people with many closed comedones, hemp is the key. The SA toner breaks up the existing plugs, and the hemp keeps new ones from forming by improving the linoleic acid content of the sebum. Again, given the life cycle of acne (3-4 months) it makes sense that it could take a while. She said she saw nearly NO improvement for the first two months, and then at around that time, started seeing some improvement, with total clearing coming near the end of the 4th month. HTHs!

#171 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

would hemp seed oil be just as good as grapeseed oil? i've seen people who recommend it highly above the other oils. if so, what should i look for when buying hemp oil? i have many blocked pores, many of which eventually get inflamed and turn into spots, so i think the oil method would work for me

It is lower in linoleic acid. I posted the numbers here somewhere, but I think it's 50% linoleic acid while safflower and grapeseed are nearly 80%.  And I personally didn't think it worked as well for me.

Hi All

Altavista, I have not read the entire thread. Quick question and a bit of backstory. Thank you for all of this interesting info. Sorry for the somewhat longish post....

I have just started a salicylic acid toner/hemp seed oil (very small amount-2drops AM and PM) to change my sebum and unplug my pores. The SA breaks up existing plugs, the hemp seed prevents the formation of new ones over time. I was told it could take 4 months to clear or maybe a bit more....This regimen was developed here:

http://practicalbohe...y.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/.../MiriBotanicals

I have chemical sensitivities/weakened immune system and a bladder condition called Interstitial Cystitis. Too much BP (per the regimen on this site) sent my bladder into a horrible flare for 3 days. I am being treated for my condition by a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor. She wanted me to stop the BP and SA. I did, of course, and foolishly added in jojoba oil!! thinking it did control oil and maybe it would help me transition out of BP-land. 

Boy was I ever WRONG. After stopping the BP and SA cold turkey and adding jojoba, my face is loaded with a MILLION whiteheads and blackheads, mostly whiteheads. I have NEVER been this bad in my whole life. A rash of a million bumps across my face. The ones on my cheeks and jaw are really inflammed.

I can tell the hemp is very calming and it is loosening the plugs. I caved today and tried to go get extractions but I can't really use traditional peels/extraction prep, so I brought my hemp oil and steam and the aesthetitican did not know how to extract closed comedones, (I realize, it is tricky....) so not much there. But she did try to convince me that a little BP would get me out of this horrible mess. So then I started thinking, maybe I can tolerate a little BP like I used to be able to do in the past 6 months (I can't use Dan's formula because it flared me). I might put some on for a few hours and then wash it off.

Do you think that the BP will negate the effects of the hemp seed oil? Maybe best I just wash off the BP after a bit. Or do you think I can use them together for a while. My goal is to only use a SA toner, and hemp oil, but I have to get out of this red, bumpy mess.

Thanks for reading, and for any thoughts!!!

I should add that I have not eaten sugar in 8 months (wow, can't beleive that!). No alcohol. No yeast (special diet to heal my gut and bladder). When I had to go off BP, I cut out dairy (sigh) and gluten (sigh). So I am basically paleo for a while, with occasional rice. (Sigh) So diet is probably not a factor.

Congrats on your clearing of your acne!!

BTW, Jordey, if you are reading, you said you tried the hemp oil for 2 months? The woman that developed the SA toner (make at home yourself, she has a kit) and the hemp oil regime, said that it took her 4 MONTHS to clear her acne using this method. She has writen on her site that she was ready to give up MANY TIMES in the first two months and was so glad she stuck with it. She had done a ton of research, like Vista, and had come to the conclusion that for people with many closed comedones, hemp is the key. The SA toner breaks up the existing plugs, and the hemp keeps new ones from forming by improving the linoleic acid content of the sebum. Again, given the life cycle of acne (3-4 months) it makes sense that it could take a while. She said she saw nearly NO improvement for the first two months, and then at around that time, started seeing some improvement, with total clearing coming near the end of the 4th month. HTHs!

The BP will do harm.  The linoleic acid will help the skin deal with the harm.  And why not just stick with the salicylic acid? possibly look into adding licorice root extract or peppermint.  have you tried peppermint tea?

#172 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

This study on mice is about the oral administration of fatty acids changing the fatty acid composition in their skin

http://journals.camb...810d4d41529542f

Linus Pauling page with links to studies/papers showing that it's not quite true that omega 6 are inflammatory while omega 3s are anti- inflammatory. It isn't that simple.  http://lpi.oregonsta...enter/skin/EFA/

As well as on their role in skin, how topical and oral administration is beneficial, etc.

Sunflower seed oil enhanced skin barrier recovery, while mustard seed, olive, and soybean oils delayed skin barrier recovery and, in the case of mustard seed oil, damaged keratinocyte organelles and disrupted the architecture of the stratum corneum (38).

Edited by alternativista, 16 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#173 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

Epidermal barrier disruption stimulates IL1-Alpha which is a pro-inflammatory cytokene expressed by your keratinocytes (skin cells).  And IL1-A stimulates hyperkeratinization which is the over production of malformed skin cells that clog your pores and lead to acne. 

In the study below:

In essential fatty acid deficient mice IL-1 alpha was present in all epidermal layers and the dermis, with prominent staining in the stratum corneum. After acute barrier disruption with tape-stripping, IL-1 alpha increased in the epidermis and dermis within 10 min, remained elevated at 2 and 4 h, and decreased to near basal levels by 24 h.

The essential fatty acid they are deficient in is primarily linoleic acid. And by tape stripping, I assume they stuck tape to the poor hairless- skin barrier deficient mice and ripped it off.  The levels of  IL-1alpha were already elevated above normal levels before they did this due to the impaired skin function due to the deficiency in linoleic acid.  Then after they aggravated the situation by ripping tape off, they remained extra elevated for up to 4 hours.

Barrier disruption stimulates interleukin-1 alpha expression and release from a pre-formed pool in murine epidermis.

Source

Dermatology and Medical Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, USA.

Abstract

Previous studies have shown that barrier disruption increases epidermal mRNA levels of interleukin-1 alpha (IL-1 alpha). We used immunohistochemistry to examine IL-1 alpha expression in hairless mouse skin under basal conditions and following barrier abrogation. In untreated mice, IL-1 alpha was present in the dermis and nucleated epidermal layers in a diffuse, generalized pattern. In essential fatty acid deficient mice IL-1 alpha was present in all epidermal layers and the dermis, with prominent staining in the stratum corneum. After acute barrier disruption with tape-stripping, IL-1 alpha increased in the epidermis and dermis within 10 min, remained elevated at 2 and 4 h, and decreased to near basal levels by 24 h. Moreover, intense, perinuclear, basal cell staining appeared at 10 min, persisting until 4 h after barrier disruption. Since the increase in IL-1 alpha immunostaining after acute barrier abrogation precedes the increase in mRNA, we hypothesized that the IL-1 alpha might derive from a pre-formed pool. Prolonged occlusion of normal skin, a treatment that specifically reduces epidermal mRNA levels of IL-1 alpha, decreased basal immunostaining for IL-1 alpha and blunted the increase in IL-1 alpha usually seen following barrier disruption. Moreover, tape-stripping of skin, maintained ex vivo at 4 degrees C, resulted in increased IL-1 alpha immunostaining within the upper nucleated epidermal layers, as well as release of mature IL-1 alpha into the medium, as measured by Western blotting and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. In addition, the stratum corneum attached to the tape contained IL-1 alpha. These studies show that acute barrier disruption induces both the immediate release and dispersion of IL-1 alpha from a pre-formed, epidermal pool, as well as increased IL-1 alpha synthesis; both mechanisms are consistent with a role for IL-1 alpha in the regulation of proinflammatory and homeostatic processes in the skin.

And there are lots of related studies that look like good things to follow up on. 

Cited by 16 PubMed Central articles

Edited by alternativista, 01 July 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#174 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

So, this study is about how the necessary lipids are stimulated after the your skin is harmed.  Which would of course be a part of healing. But is this an example of how are medical and pharmaceutical researchers think?  What we need is to damage ourselves in order stimulate healing?

The regulation of epidermal lipid synthesis by permeability barrier requirements.

Source

Metabolism Section (111F), VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94121.

Abstract

A major function of the skin is to prevent the loss of fluids. The barrier to fluid loss resides in the intercellular lipids (primarily sterols, fatty acids, and sphingolipids) of the stratum corneum. The epidermis is a very active site of lipid synthesis and when the permeability barrier is disrupted by topical solvents or detergents a marked stimulation of sterol, fatty acid, and sphingolipid synthesis occurs. Essential fatty acid deficient mice, with a chronic disturbance in barrier function, also have an increase in epidermal lipid synthesis. When the defect in barrier function is artificially corrected by occlusion with a water vapor impermeable membrane the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is prevented, suggesting that water flux may be a regulatory factor. The activity of the key rate limiting enzyme in cholesterol synthesis, HMG CoA reductase is increased following barrier disruption due to both an increased quantity of enzyme and an increase in activation state. Similarly, the activity of serine palmitoyl transferase, the rate limiting enzyme in sphingolipid synthesis is also increased following barrier disruption. Occlusion prevents the increase in HMG CoA reductase and serine palmitoyl transferase activity. When the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is inhibited by occlusion the characteristic rapid return of stratum corneum lipids and recovery of barrier function is prevented. Moreover, when epidermal cholesterol synthesis is inhibited by lovastatin, an inhibitor of HMG CoA reductase, the rate of recovery of barrier structure and function is delayed. Similarly, B chloroalanine, an inhibitor of serine palmitoyl transferase and sphingolipid synthesis, also impairs barrier recovery. Thus, disruption of the barrier stimulates epidermal lipid synthesis which provides the lipids necessary for the repair of the barrier. The signals that initiate and coordinate this response are yet to be defined, but the understanding of this process may allow for pharmacological interventions that will specifically disrupt the barrier and allow for the transcutaneous delivery of drugs.

Note the bolded line. An example of how the statin drugs they want everyone to take will harm your skin and accelerate aging.  And your epidermis isn't the only tissue it does this to.

Edited by alternativista, 14 July 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#175 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Back to the above elevated IL1alpha in the lipid deficient mice. 

In the paper Recent Advances in Acne Pathogenesis Information http://piel-l.org/bl...al-alliance.pdf

page 5:

Jeremy et al23 investigated the initiating events for
acne lesions, and found that immune changes and
inflammatory responses occur before hyperproliferation
of keratinocytes, with a pattern similar to a
type IV delayed hypersensitivity response.
The
immune response is led by CD41 lymphocytes and
macrophages.23 These researchers hypothesize that
the subsequent production of cytokines activates
local endothelial cells, up-regulating inflammatory
vascular markers (E-selectin, vascular cell adhesion
molecule-1 [VCAM-1], intercellular adhesion
molecule-1 [ICAM-1], and human leukocyte antigen-
DR [HLA-DR]) in the vasculature around the
pilosebaceous follicle.23 They further have postulated
that the entire process is initiated by interleukin
(IL)-1a up-regulation in response to a relative linoleic
acid deficiency
caused by excess sebum and perturbation
of barrier function within the follicle.23

Of course, they are going with the idea that excess sebum dilutes the lipids which causes the deficiency in linoleic acid.  But I don't think that's the case with everyone.  Teen acne, probably.  But remember, this deficiency and the associated skin problems applies to  all mammals. Like Atopic Dermatitis in dogs.  And I really don't think my dog has oily skin. I've seen no sign of that.  The opposite, in fact.

#176 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Evidence that washing away your sebum stimulates more production of sebum.  Or at least, the abstract of this peer reviewed paper says it does.  the full text is available here:   http://www.nature.co...df/5610517a.pdf  I haven't read it yet.

The regulation of epidermal lipid synthesis by permeability barrier requirements.

A major function of the skin is to prevent the loss of fluids. The barrier to fluid loss resides in the intercellular lipids (primarily sterols, fatty acids, and sphingolipids) of the stratum corneum. The epidermis is a very active site of lipid synthesis and when the permeability barrier is disrupted by topical solvents or detergents a marked stimulation of sterol, fatty acid, and sphingolipid synthesis occurs. Essential fatty acid deficient mice, with a chronic disturbance in barrier function, also have an increase in epidermal lipid synthesis. When the defect in barrier function is artificially corrected by occlusion with a water vapor impermeable membrane the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is prevented, suggesting that water flux may be a regulatory factor. The activity of the key rate limiting enzyme in cholesterol synthesis, HMG CoA reductase is increased following barrier disruption due to both an increased quantity of enzyme and an increase in activation state. Similarly, the activity of serine palmitoyl transferase, the rate limiting enzyme in sphingolipid synthesis is also increased following barrier disruption. Occlusion prevents the increase in HMG CoA reductase and serine palmitoyl transferase activity. When the increase in epidermal lipid synthesis is inhibited by occlusion the characteristic rapid return of stratum corneum lipids and recovery of barrier function is prevented. Moreover, when epidermal cholesterol synthesis is inhibited by lovastatin, an inhibitor of HMG CoA reductase, the rate of recovery of barrier structure and function is delayed. Similarly, B chloroalanine, an inhibitor of serine palmitoyl transferase and sphingolipid synthesis, also impairs barrier recovery. Thus, disruption of the barrier stimulates epidermal lipid synthesis which provides the lipids necessary for the repair of the barrier. The signals that initiate and coordinate this response are yet to be defined, but the understanding of this process may allow for pharmacological interventions that will specifically disrupt the barrier and allow for the transcutaneous delivery of drugs.

#177 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've been using grapeseed oil on my face once a day for about two weeks now and I gotta say there is a noticeable improvement. At the very least, it's really nice to rinse my face with. But I do notice improvements in my skin texture, and it helps reduce the redness.

Could using BP have contribute to a linoleic acid deficiency in sebum?

When linoleic acid is defficient, the body uses oleic acid in sebum.  The makes a greasy, sticky pore clogging sebum. Oleic acid is high in squalene and peroxidated squalene has been found to be a culprit in the inflammation that leads to malformed skin cells.

#178 mimij67

mimij67

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi Alternavista! See bottom of thread for a study I wanted to send to you regarding Bifidobacterium and Linoleic acid!!! I think you may have already posted this study. But I wanted to re-iterate that I think that altered gut microflora can prevent the availability of linoleic acid in the lipid layers of the skin where sebum is produced. This is observed in cases of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but many of us have altered gut flora which I explain at the bottom of my post. Antibiotics take for acne and other childhood illnesses can be a culprit. It takes a long time to reverse this, and you CANT pop random probiotics. They have to be high quality lactobacilli and bifidobacterium-types (e.g. Natren) and maybe in very small doses at first so you don't aggrevate inflammation!! In many gut healing protocols such as GAPS, the probiotics are introduced VERY SLOWLY until well-tolerated. Probiotics are almost like a transplant! You can't chug them like water, they need to be respected ;)

For those of you reading this, if you have closed comedonal or cycstic acne, this is the thread for you!!! Topical linoleic really works. HERE IS THE THING. Many posters on this thread said they tried the linoleic acid for 1 or two months!! In addition to making healthy dietary changes and some of the other great things that Altavista has suggested, if you are going to commit to topical application of linoleic acid, I think you will be MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL if you commit to trying this for 4 to 5 months. Pay close attention to the SIZE of your existing bumps/acnes. Are they diminishing? Are whiteheads turning into blackheads? THis means sebum content is changing. From what I have researched, as long as you are not disrupting your acid mantle with cleansers, creams and chlorinated water (still working on the cholorine issue myself) then you have a good chance of changing your skin with topical application but it takes TIME! And if you can tolerate it, a salicylic acid toner will break up existing plugs while you are changing the sebum content down deep in the pore. My 2 cents.

Recap: I have an autoimmune condition, Mild IBS-C, and a (related to gut) painful bladder condition and being treated by a holistic Dr.  I have had acne since 15 that became closed comedonal adult acne and oily skin (Now am 46, sigh) and always used BP/SA topicals. I stopped topicals about 6 weeks ago because they were flaring my condition, and after a brief and horrid foray into jojoba oil (YIKES) I settled on hemp and safflower oil. I know they were working because my whiteheads were diminishing and reverting to blackheads and my skin was slowly, slowing, clearing/healing.

The sad and endlessly frustrating thing about this is that my gut/immune system does not like the high tocopherol content of these linoleic oils. Or perhaps the linoleic acid itself, but most likely the tocopherols. Sigh. Even 2 drops X 2x per day flares my bladder/gut condition. I am wondering what else I can do to address my closed comedonal acne? As I try to heal from the inside out. I have yeast overgrowth (not severe) and SIBO, and leaky gut from taking antibiotics last year for dental work (could KILL my peridontist!!). I am being treated for all of this, from a Chinese Medicine and western perspective. 

Currently, since I can't "fake it till I make it" with linoleic acid, I am doing the following ( keeping in mind I can only put on my skin something I could eat):

I have had no sugar or alcohol for 10-11 months. I eat a balanced low GI diet at EVERY MEAL and have for 10 months because of my health condition. I do not snack on carbs like I used to! I take probiotics. I take Carlesons Cod Liver oil. I am going to start one cup of green tea per day. I use a toner of fresh brewed green tea to minimize sebum production and lavender oil for scarring (I tolerate these). I am trying to get the right chlorine filter for my shower. I only wash with warm water and microfiber cloth. Is there ANYTHNG else I can do. I need to re-read your good things for acne thread as well. Below are specific questions. THANK YOU!!!

What is your take on the clarisonic, used properly (i.e. NO excessive pressure or overuse)  for linoleic acid-deficient skin? (I dont get cycstic acne). If you think it is ok then how often would you recommend? 

What is your take on plain yogurt mask? Some swear by this. I have tried this lactic acid mask and it feels fine but I think it is bringing more bumps to the surface so not sure if it is just a purge thing or if I should only do the mask once in a while?

What is your take on chamomile?

Do you think one cup of coffee per day with full fat cream or grass fed butter is ok? At home I drink Paleo Coffee (Brewed coffee blended in the blender to perfection with sweet butter that is high in CLA-Anyone interested can see paleo coffee demo on Youtube!) Since I eat no sugar and don't drink, this is my only treat. The only dairy I eat is grass fed butter and occasional goat feta.

It is possible that I can go back to linoleic acid when my gut is more healed.

Thanks so much for any thoughts on the above!!

P.S. here is a link to a study that suggests that low levels of the necessary gut bacteria (Bifidobacerium) might impair fatty acid metabolism. This means that linoleic acid cant be delivered to adipose tissue (lipid layers) where we need it for sebum production. This study looks at Irritable Bowel Syndrom. Many, many people have altered gut flora from antibiotic treatments, cesarian birth, NSAID use, Steroid use, and chemical birth control use among others. Let me know what you think about this. Further argument for probiotic supplementation especially if you have a gut or autoimmune condition (Think ANY of the auto-immunes) and also any Irritable Bowel Disease presentation such as IBS, Crohnes, UC, etc...)

"Regulation of adipose tissue and liver fatty acid composition by gut microbes

Gut microbiota can also affect host metabolism and inflammatory state by modulating the tissue fatty acid composition: mammalian intestinal Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria can synthesize from free linoleic acid bioactive isomers of conjugated linoleic acid, which have antidiabetic, anti-atherosclerotic, immunomodulatory, and anti-obesity properties (42). The supplementation of Bifidobacterium breve and linoleic acid to different mammalian species resulted in a two- to threefold higher intestinal, hepatic, and adipose tissue content of cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, and docosahexaenoic acid, concomitantly with a reduced proinflammatory cytokines TNF-α, IL-6, and interferon-γ expression, than the linoleic acid-alone supplemented diet (43) (supplementary Table 1)."

Put this in search engine. It is partial but will bring up the study, and also try the study link below:

Bifidobacterium breve with α-Linolenic Acid and Linoleic Acid Alters Fatty Acid Metabolism

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0048159

Edited by mimij67, 16 July 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#179 mimij67

mimij67

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, but perhaps it's about the quality? Most people probably consume a lot of oxidized PUFAs

The other issue is that while we all take in linoleic acid of various qualities (poor and good), some of us can't metabolize the fatty acids and transport them where they need to go. I think this has to be part of the picture. This metabolism or lack thereof originates in the gut, like most dis-ease

Edited by mimij67, 16 July 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#180 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

^ Topical or oral chamomile?  I know I've come accross some benefits to topical chamomile, beyond the usual soothing, anti-inflammatory, etc. But haven't really followed up. A cup in the evening is beneficial to stress, sleep, blood pressure,  and dental/oral health. All of which affect your skin.

As for the coffee, have you tested for caffeine intolerance by avoiding for a while?  Otherwise, it's fine if you have it early in the day.  Coffee with butter or coconut oil is recommended in place of breakfast for those that intermittent fast by skipping breakfast. Perhaps I'll try it one day. But it will mean having a greasy cup that i have to do more than just rinse out afterward....

I am all for topical yogurt  the probiotic strain Streptococcus thermophilus, which is in most yogurt, has been found to boost ceramide production in the skin.

I don't know about the clarsonic. Perhaps the stimulation is beneficial by stimulating blood flow and bringing nutrients to the epidermis?

This paper explores both  Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains and their affect on acne and skin function. A connection first proposed by dermatologists over 70 years ago. http://www.ncbi.nlm....63/?tool=pubmed

bifidobacterium lactis strains may prevent intestinal hyperpermeability study

You might also want to look into the strain Bacillus coagulans

The other issue is that while we all take in linoleic acid of various qualities (poor and good), some of us can't metabolize the fatty acids and transport them where they need to go. I think this has to be part of the picture. This metabolism or lack thereof originates in the gut, like most dis-ease

Well, yes.  I posted about some gene/enzyme mutations that affect this earlier. That's most likely the reason we skin problem prone mammals have this deficiency while most of the population does not.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users