Photo

Back On Yasmin And This Time My Acne's Not Going Away...

yasmin orthocept acne birth control ortho

1 reply to this topic

#1 sanssucres

sanssucres

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

After reading through these forums for months, I thought I should finally ask for some direct advice!

When I was 18, I did a short round of Accutane to get my acne under control. At the same time, I was prescribed the birth control pill Orthocept. The combination of the two sorted out my acne problem completely... I went from feeling like a monster to receiving compliments on my skin. After 7 years on Orthocept, I had to switch pills due to reasons unrelated to acne. My doctor put me on Yasmin, stating that it could be even better than Orthocept. He was right! I had no initial breakout and my skin remained clear and soft!

Fast forward to March 2011... I decided that, in my late twenties, I wanted to try being hormone-free after being on Yasmin for 2 years. SO I stopped.
My skin's texture changed after about 4 months off of the pill, and in September 2011, I started breaking out on my face worse than ever before. I was so upset... So in October 2011, I went back on Orthocept. No luck - my acne became cystic.

So in January 2012, I went back on Yasmin. I am now 2 weeks into my fourth pack of Yasmin and my acne is showing no signs of going away. Just as pimples begin to settle, new ones appear. I have active spots on my face that have been there since January.

I just don't know what to do.
Will Yasmin work again? Should I give it more time? Should I look for a new solution?

Edited by sanssucres, 12 April 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Yasmin's acne fighting ingredient is spironolactone. Yasmin only contains about a 25mg dose.

Just go on straight spironolactone. Most women need 50 - 100 mg to clear.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users