Photo

Am I Hopeless?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 killallthescars2

killallthescars2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

This is killing me. I stopped going to college because of my scars, they are really, really severe and deep. I look disfigured. I don't know what to do and I don't have money either, so I'm contemplating suicide. And today I realized that it's pretty much hopeless because even the most invasive interventions (like dermabrassion or phenol chemical peels) wouldn't do much for me, even a plastic surgeon said this in a forum. He said that deep acne scars are truly difficult to treat, and improvement is not certain, and it's expensive and the more invasive a procedure is the more possible it is to do more damage than good. And restylane didn't help me, I tried it and it my skin just absorbed it all. I also tried self-needling and subcision, neither helped at all, it made the edges worse actually. Right now I don't think anything could help me.
Worst thing of all, my sister is not very supportive, she tells me to just get over it and go to a psychologist. This might make people who read this think that the scars aren't that severe, but they are. And they're all over my face, and really deep and wide, like I was attacked by a dog. I don't have an area on my face that isn't severely scarred. I'm a girl and I think my life is ruined, which is really pathetic because I didn't even live yet, I didn't even get my first real kiss yet (I'm 20).
Sorry for the rant, I'm really sorry. I just thought maybe I should post my feelings in a place where other people can perhaps relate to me and maybe offer me some advice or something. I won't post pictures to prove how bad my situation is.

#2 tricia

tricia

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hate to hear stories like this! I would not give up without a fight though, at least try some treatments. If it is that severe start with permanent fillers and see how that goes. I know what you mean about restylane being absorbed quickly, same happened to me with hyaluronic acid filler. I think silicone microdroplet or artefill may be good, but you would have to have many rounds, can get quite expensive. I don't think there is much else for severe scars.

#3 MissPandaPoP

MissPandaPoP

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hey, I really wish I could help and say something really useful but I'm not that clever, I don't know a lot. What I do know is suicide is not the awnser to anything. I've been in your situation, not as bad probably but I've been there. I have caves on my back,shoulders and my clevage so I feel embarresed to wear anything that shows it. I would get people staring and making remarks and it killed me inside. You life isn't ruined because there are decent people out there who can see through it, its not like we can help it. I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and he says he wouldn't have me any other way. Don't give up sweetie. I hope someone else can be more helpful xxx

#4 Zante

Zante

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

People are mouthpieces for their environment, if social status is your main concern (kiss by 20, marry by xx) then you'll always be chasing after something illusory. Venting can be healthy, now that you've done it lets focus on something constructive/positive.

Have you got any photos, something close up which doesn't reveal who you are?

We're all in this together and our problems are fairly first world. Nonetheless, everything is relative and I know how much looks mean to a young woman. The most I can do is give you an honest opinion. If you trust us, then share some images.

#5 *Can*I*Live*

*Can*I*Live*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Im sorry that you feel this way and that you must go through such things. It truly breaks my heart every time i read a post such as this one. Sadly, there is nothing i can physicaly do to help. But i would like you to know that you should not feel alone. I wish you the best in anything you choose to do in regards to bettering your situation. Much love.
The name is a referance to a song from the Reasonable Doubt album. Incase you were wondering...

#6 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

If at first you dont succeed try try again

#7 killallthescars2

killallthescars2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

People are mouthpieces for their environment, if social status is your main concern (kiss by 20, marry by xx) then you'll always be chasing after something illusory. Venting can be healthy, now that you've done it lets focus on something constructive/positive.

Have you got any photos, something close up which doesn't reveal who you are?

We're all in this together and our problems are fairly first world. Nonetheless, everything is relative and I know how much looks mean to a young woman. The most I can do is give you an honest opinion. If you trust us, then share some images.

First of all, thank you all for your kind words! Happy easter to everybody!
And Zante, social status is not my concern at all, the only thing I want for me is a normal face. It does sound like it if I reread what the written post, but that's not the truth. And I don't have any pictures right now, they were deleted. But me posting them is a doubtful thing anyway. I'm kind of a new user to this place, in time maybe pictures will come too.
What do you mean our problems are fairly first world? Sorry, english is not my first language. But thanks for saying that we're all in this together. Have a good day guys!

#8 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Again, this thread comes down to what I have said before...

In this day and age where they transplant faces, reconstruct people's noses etc, why is it so hard to get rid of acne scarring?

Am I missing something here?? I find this extremely frustrating, it's almost as if the surgeons/dermatologists are holding something back, not giving all the facts.

There must be a way. I refuse to believe otherwise.

#9 killallthescars2

killallthescars2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hate to hear stories like this! I would not give up without a fight though, at least try some treatments. If it is that severe start with permanent fillers and see how that goes. I know what you mean about restylane being absorbed quickly, same happened to me with hyaluronic acid filler. I think silicone microdroplet or artefill may be good, but you would have to have many rounds, can get quite expensive. I don't think there is much else for severe scars.

Thanks, I'm thinking about it. I also thought about having fat transfer, that is a bit less scary since its from your own body, but some surgeons say it doesn't help. You certainly need courage to put something permanent in your face, especially with the story that the filler might migrate after years of having it. That is in rare cases, right? Anyway, do you know if permanent fillers can get absorbed right after having them? Or do they usually stay there without possible failure?
It's hard when something was taken away from you. But you guys are right, you have to try and try again. Let's not rest until we get what we want for ourselves.

In this day and age where they transplant faces, reconstruct people's noses etc, why is it so hard to get rid of acne scarring?

Am I missing something here?? I find this extremely frustrating, it's almost as if the surgeons/dermatologists are holding something back, not giving all the facts.

You know, that is very true. I mean, atrophic scars are caused by loss of tissue, basically. Why can't someone just make it exist there again? Is it really that hard or are most plastic surgeons/dermatologists really greedy?

#10 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

The lack of money may be resolved, if you have insurance, and the doctors convince the insurance company that you are suicidal, and you need treatment because of that. Before you go off the deep end take a look at the Bern triplets http://today.msnbc.m...-have-new-hope/ certainly their scarring is worse than yours. Dermabrasion is only good for superficial scars and deep scarring will not be affected. http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/ If your scars are as bad as you say you may need 5-10 laser treatments, but they must be ablative and at the highest setting to be effective.
Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% May 22, 2008

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Jan 08, 2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 30,2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 08,2010

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Nov 04,2011

"The Road To Wellville" 1994
Goodloe Bender: Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!

#11 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

You have no idea how many times I've wondered this! It angers me so much! To the poster: Please, please don't give up! You are most likely you're worst critic. One of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen has severe acne scarring, and guess what? No one cares!! You are beautiful and worthy of a long, happy life. This is just a bump in the road, one which all of us here on acne.org are experiencing. Keep your head held high!

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#12 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, I'm thinking about it. I also thought about having fat transfer, that is a bit less scary since its from your own body, but some surgeons say it doesn't help. You certainly need courage to put something permanent in your face, especially with the story that the filler might migrate after years of having it. That is in rare cases, right? Anyway, do you know if permanent fillers can get absorbed right after having them? Or do they usually stay there without possible failure?
It's hard when something was taken away from you. But you guys are right, you have to try and try again. Let's not rest until we get what we want for ourselves.

You know, that is very true. I mean, atrophic scars are caused by loss of tissue, basically. Why can't someone just make it exist there again? Is it really that hard or are most plastic surgeons/dermatologists really greedy?

You have no idea how many times I've wondered this! It angers me so much! To the poster: Please, please don't give up! You are most likely you're worst critic. One of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen has severe acne scarring, and guess what? No one cares!! You are beautiful and worthy of a long, happy life. This is just a bump in the road, one which all of us here on acne.org are experiencing. Keep your head held high!

I think they're just very greedy. They want you to keep coming back - if they offered you a treatment that solved your acne scarring once and for all, it would mean less money for them. I think this also goes some way to explaining why most practitioners are reluctant to offer permanent fillers for scars. I know this may seem paranoid, but think about it - why do you think they charge £600 or so for a treatment when the actual cost of providing the treatment is much less (for them).

Whereas with things such as reconstructing someones septum, it's pretty obvious if it works or not, I think with acne scarring is much easier to pretend that results come gradually, and thus keep the patient coming back again and again. I'm quite a firm believer in that either something works or it doesn't. Any results 'over time' are just due to your body's natural healing process.

Another big problem I think is that in countries such as the UK, most acne scarring treatments are only available in the private sector - this is a vested interest, as clearly the profit motive is the main factor in the private sector. Furthermore the private sector is subject to a complete lack of regulation, which just allows practitioners to do as they please and get away with it.

What I find slightly outrageous is how private practitioners are allowed to work on the NHS at the same time, it's a complete conflict of interest. I think they just do this to tout for business - they tell you the treatment isn't available on the NHS, then suggest you try their private clinic. I know, as this has happened to me several times.

It's depressing that there are very few (if any) people out there who are genuinely interested in helping you, rather than getting as much money out of you as they can.

Edited by dx4567, 09 April 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#13 Syn1122

Syn1122

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

This is killing me. I stopped going to college because of my scars, they are really, really severe and deep. I look disfigured. I don't know what to do and I don't have money either, so I'm contemplating suicide. And today I realized that it's pretty much hopeless because even the most invasive interventions (like dermabrassion or phenol chemical peels) wouldn't do much for me, even a plastic surgeon said this in a forum. He said that deep acne scars are truly difficult to treat, and improvement is not certain, and it's expensive and the more invasive a procedure is the more possible it is to do more damage than good. And restylane didn't help me, I tried it and it my skin just absorbed it all. I also tried self-needling and subcision, neither helped at all, it made the edges worse actually. Right now I don't think anything could help me.
Worst thing of all, my sister is not very supportive, she tells me to just get over it and go to a psychologist. This might make people who read this think that the scars aren't that severe, but they are. And they're all over my face, and really deep and wide, like I was attacked by a dog. I don't have an area on my face that isn't severely scarred. I'm a girl and I think my life is ruined, which is really pathetic because I didn't even live yet, I didn't even get my first real kiss yet (I'm 20).
Sorry for the rant, I'm really sorry. I just thought maybe I should post my feelings in a place where other people can perhaps relate to me and maybe offer me some advice or something. I won't post pictures to prove how bad my situation is.

hey man, dont give up hope, just think how damn sad the people who love will feel if you took your own life . They would pretty much end up hating you because they would think you were beening selffish! they care for you and love you for you to do that to yourself is totally wrong.

let me tell you some of the new techonolgly reguarding scar reversion and some of the research that is currently implace,
be pathences and until those are developed.

the stuff that they are developing are spray on skin, or even syntestic skin used for burn victims but are able to be use for scaring to face and body,
they also developing 3d modeling skin printers thats able to print skin and collegen into scars.
stem cell scar reversion research
new lazers thats only made to strip the damage layer of skin off and also spray new skin on while its strips the damage skin off,
nano robotics that is so small its able to go into scars to release the scar tissues so your scars will level with your skin with out causing damage to healthy skins only targets scars
not only that they are prefecting all the other older treatments so it can be 100% instead of risky operation.
and..
face transplant ;) pretty soon they would be able to skin graft your own skin to replace your damage one

just wait a few years you'll see how much can change, remember back in the 1992, computers werent even coloured they were black and white or VGA xD, 20 years now can you imagen ?

you have number of options if your scars is bad sure u cant get a day job what about a night job? i got pretty bad scaring mannage to get a night secrutiy job where im just by my self, THE WHOLE night which is pretty cool theirs an option for you to save money for your treatment
but my advice to you is to stay in school graduate and get a good paying job so focus on your study
and build that money up so you can get treatment

#14 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

hey man, dont give up hope, just think how damn sad the people who love will feel if you took your own life . They would pretty much end up hating you because they would think you were beening selffish! they care for you and love you for you to do that to yourself is totally wrong.

let me tell you some of the new techonolgly reguarding scar reversion and some of the research that is currently implace,
be pathences and until those are developed.

the stuff that they are developing are spray on skin, or even syntestic skin used for burn victims but are able to be use for scaring to face and body,
they also developing 3d modeling skin printers thats able to print skin and collegen into scars.
stem cell scar reversion research
new lazers thats only made to strip the damage layer of skin off and also spray new skin on while its strips the damage skin off,
nano robotics that is so small its able to go into scars to release the scar tissues so your scars will level with your skin with out causing damage to healthy skins only targets scars
not only that they are prefecting all the other older treatments so it can be 100% instead of risky operation.
and..
face transplant Posted Image pretty soon they would be able to skin graft your own skin to replace your damage one

just wait a few years you'll see how much can change, remember back in the 1992, computers werent even coloured they were black and white or VGA xD, 20 years now can you imagen ?

you have number of options if your scars is bad sure u cant get a day job what about a night job? i got pretty bad scaring mannage to get a night secrutiy job where im just by my self, THE WHOLE night which is pretty cool theirs an option for you to save money for your treatment
but my advice to you is to stay in school graduate and get a good paying job so focus on your study
and build that money up so you can get treatment

Thats amazing, great information. I think that is huge advancements! Gives hope to those out there with scarring!

#15 oopli

oopli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Treatments for acne scarring really haven't changed for the past 50 years. There just isnt enough innovation and interest..its considered a trivial pursuit in the eyes of top surgeons.

#16 nick93

nick93

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm so sorry to hear your story. Acne is a terrible thing, I think it scars at least as deep emotionally as it does physically. First off, don't give up on college!! I am in university right now, and to be honest, I considered quitting as well. Its brutal going to class and feeling like your getting stared at, so I missed a lot of class. I'm going back next year though and I plan on going to every class. Your sister isn't really any help, if you haven't gone through it, you can't understand. I can't fully understand your situation. I have pretty bad acne, but hopefully, within the next few years it will disappear and hopefully my scarring won't be too bad. I didn't get my first 'real' kiss until I was 18, and it was from someone with clear skin. At the time I had bad acne, but she honestly liked me for who I was. That's over now, but you have to realize that there are some people who can look past it and love you for who you actually are. Also, 20 isn't old at all. You're still really young!! There are lots of other people who don't have there first kiss until they are much older, its nothing that you can judge social status by and it doesn't make you any better a person. I seriously hope that you can find some help. There is some great information in this forum, and there are people that know a lot. Hopefully, you can find something that improves your situation! :)

#17 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

Yeah you are probably muuuuch better off than you think.In our lifetime, it is more than likely that they will develop technology to fix scars. Just hang in their and look up some top doctors and surgeons who can assist you.

#18 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Killthescars, did you see Daniell's video? She has some pretty deep scars. http://www.youtube.c...eIPBPlY3L0&lr=1 Did you look at the Bern Triplets at all?
Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% May 22, 2008

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Jan 08, 2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 30,2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 08,2010

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Nov 04,2011

"The Road To Wellville" 1994
Goodloe Bender: Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!

#19 WinnieTheBlue

WinnieTheBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

I really feel for you, the desperation is very recognisable. I recently stopped college because of the same reason. Everything from relationship, going out with friends ,swimming and sometimes going outside is hard. I am 24 now, all my dreams seem lost.

I sometimes feel like the darkman, only difference is that the scarring in my face and on my body is moderate. I have been in and out of depression, panic and stress, I have been suicidal twice and it came close the last time.

It is hard to be understood and people who try to comfort me often do more damage because it feels like denial. Psychologist can help, it can also bring out a conflict and it very much depends on the person. Now I am doing better, I am making music and that is really a comfort to me, a replacement. Every night I go out running and I might pick up swimming again. I go out with friends when it's dark because the light doesn't reveal the scarring as bad. (sport is the best anti-depressant) I have read everything from buddhism until psychology and am strengthening myself. When I don't want to go out, I stay at home and live from a social benefit.

I am on this site nearly every two days, just to check if there is a new scar treatment. I also cannot believe there isn't a cure with all the modern day technology, and sure within 5 years something in the line of hydrogel, stemcells and scareless healing is going to come. I hate it how dermatologist sometime's go for your money, although some are really good at what they do, they are rare.

The scarring started when I was 19, acne started before that. I have saved some money and am going to do a scar treatment (Recell) by Dr Khan. I have no idea if I am going to waste all my savings or if it truly works. But it gives me a lot of hope.

I really feel sorry for you and wish you the best of luck in the coming years. I you wish to talk, there is little I can't handle or already haven't heard. The feeling of being disfigured is really hard and I believe your going trough a dark time. No one should kill themselfs over a skin condition or the mental stress coming from a skin condition. Maybe seeking help isn't such a bad idea, it might get you some kind of recognition and help.

It's really time some kind of treatment came out.

#20 killallthescars2

killallthescars2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Killthescars, did you see Daniell's video? She has some pretty deep scars. Did you look at the Bern Triplets at all?

Hi! I did see the link about the triplets. I feel really bad for the last girl. But at the same time I feel envy, because at least she grew up with her face, so that face is the only face she remembers anyway.
As for the Danielle girl, well my scars are like the scars on her cheeks, but more numerous, I have them on my forehead and chin too. It sucks because they're in all the more obvious areas.
My sister's boyfriend is a doctor (not an expert in scars whatsoever though) and he told her that a chemical peel would get rid of my scars. That's a big lie, right? Deep scars mostly remain unaffected with peels.
I think I'm going to get a laser done when I have the money. Even if it's scary and risky stuff. I need money lol.
Thanks!