Photo

Starting The Regimen As A Freshman In College... After Trying Everything

college regimen photos pictures retin-a duac antibiotics acne.org rosacea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hey there everyone,

After reading and reading just about everything I could find I've decided to finally start the regimen. A little backstory on me. I have tried literally everything possible with acne. Thousands upon thousands of skin products. I have been on the retin-a, duac, differin, three or four antibiotics, contraceptives, peels, seriously EVERYTHING over the counter. Well, at my last dermological appointment my dermo told me there was basically nothing left to do. But I'm only 18 and my face is riddled with hyperpigmintation, and i have been fighting this one breakout for over a year.

So here I am, starting! While I waited for my regimen to come in the mail I did my own psudo-regimen for about 2 weeks, with Revision Brightening Skin Wash, Salsylic Acid (from OXY), and Aveeno Daily Moisturizer. It worked pretty well, and so here are my starting photos, doesn't look so bad.

Oh and what I have is mostly cystic acne, giant deep pustules that stay for weeks and never ever come out. Oh, and they HURT.

Also, Rosacea. I has it.

IMG_9368.gif

IMG_9369.gif

IMG_9371.JPG

IMG_9363.gif

Yay packing peanuts!

#2 nick93

nick93

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

aha I have to say that your acne doesn't look too bad at all! I'm kind of surprised nothing that you have tried has cleared it up. Maybe its a dietary thing?? Either way, it doesn't look too bad, but I can understand that you want it gone. I won't be truly happy until mine is completely either aha

#3 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Week 1

I know that it doesn't look better, in fact, I'm sure it looks worse, but trust me, it's better. My skin was covered in these microscopic little bumps that made my skin a mine, and they have all white-headed and been removed! I was blown away at how quickly these little suckers disappeared on the first day. Additionally, the giant pustules have really decreased, although last night I got three more blemishes! Cystic, too. They are my first ones since I started the Regimen. Oh well, everyone said that you would break out on the second week. (Or end of the first, rather.)

But oh god, the flakiness. THE FLAKINESS! I want to exfoliate so badly but I know I shouldn't. Order Jojoba oil or stick it out?

IMG_9376-1.gif

IMG_9379.gif

IMG_9373.gif

aha I have to say that your acne doesn't look too bad at all! I'm kind of surprised nothing that you have tried has cleared it up. Maybe its a dietary thing?? Either way, it doesn't look too bad, but I can understand that you want it gone. I won't be truly happy until mine is completely either aha

Nick, I'd have to agree! Athough my skin has cleared up MAJORLY in the past month, the photos don't really show what I can see and feel. I know what you mean!

#4 nick93

nick93

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'm not exactly sure if you can use that or not. I don't know too much about the regime. All I know is I did something very similar, but I built up an immunity to it. There are some other people who know lots about it though, so maybe you can look into a little more in other parts of the forum. Its hard to tell in the pics whether it is better or not because of the lighting, but it does look like there is some improvement. Yeah, for sure, I can relate to how you feel. I'm glad you found something that is working for you! Hopefully you clear up completely with in the next couple months!!

#5 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

combine the regimen with a healthy life style, i guarantee it will work. If your acne hadnt clared up is because diet is causin it...actually most of acne is caused by diet and lack of sleep and exercise. Try paleo diet, sleeping at the same hour, 8 hours, and exercise at least 3 times per week. If possible , supplement with zinc and fish oil or other source of omega-3
My log might be helpful for you,check it out!! Posted Imagehttp://www.acne.org/...stic-pics-incl/

-I controlled my acne after cutting off whey protein, after 4 months it came back.
-Then i tried an strict paleo diet, it worked. But the ocassional few pimples didnt let my PIH fade
-I wasnt happy with my routine, coudnt drink with my friends, eat different food and the worst: i was loosing confidence
-When my PIH was fading, i broke out, because i tried vitamin C to end with the ocassional pimples, which might cause stomach irritation=break out
- I wasnt happy because of my diet, just broke out, and i started accutane asap.

- Currently, im taking accutane even thought my acne is mild, but with persistant PIH, just few weeks left, no more pimples anymore.

"If i had a wish, i woudnt ask for flawless skin, I'd ask for the maxium of confidence"
Poeple think they are going to be happy and confident if they get rid of their acne...well..they are totally wrong

#6 nick93

nick93

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Its possible. Make sure to only supplement with one vitamin at a time, so you know what works and what makes it worse. Also, don't take too much!!

#7 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I don't know if it's diet. I work out three times a week, 25-40 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights. I'm pretty in-shape and I eat fairly healthy. (As a college kid my friends say I do pretty well.) I've also been trying to stay away from dairy as much as possible because I'm convinced it's dairy.

I sleep at least 7 hours a night, and but my stress level is pretty maximum. (sorry, with undergrad and finals coming up, no changing that)

I think I'll stay away from the vitamins. I do take a multivitamin, but that's about it.

#8 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Week 2.5

Oh god I messed up! I wondered why my skin was SO UNBELIEVEABLY FLAKY. I wouldn't even leave my room. :/ It was so bad that I began to reduce my BP, which I know I shouldn't. I also missed 2 or 3 regimens because I got a horrible, horrible, stomach bug. But the problem was I was only using 1 pump of moisturizer instead of 2! 2 seems like so much... my face is just covered... but it sinks in about 10 minutes...

Anyway, the flakiness is MUCH improved, but I will be upping my BP again, seeing as I got 2 new active acne spots. Ow :(

#9 Kairasa

Kairasa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hey there! I actually started a new regimen when I was a freshman in college and I became so knowledgeable about skincare products as time went on that my friends started asking me for advice! Coincidentally, I also joined the org the spring of my senior year of high school, so I slowly built my repertoire of knowledge from there.

That being said, I think starting with less BP is key on the regimen. I've been a regimen user since December 2010 and I'm still clear (with the occasional breakout during my time of month). It took about 2 months for me to see visible improvement, but I felt it a lot sooner than that. Like you, I had mainly moderate acne underneath my skin, my jawline specifically, and it was quite painful! Unfortunately, I had to have a lot of patience with the hyper pigmentation part, because for months my skin was very red. That had to do more with sensitivity though I feel. Even now my skin is sensitive to the sunlight, but I'll take that over painful acne!

My point being that patience is VITAL! I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but it really is. And to gradually up the dosage of BP. Use only half a pump at first, and gauge it week to week. As for flakiness, I still deal with that sometimes, but again, I think some people have more sensitive skin than others. To put it into perspective, after a year and a half, I only use half a pump of BP in the morning and one at night, and my skin stays pretty clear. Find out what works for you and go with it. =)

I hope you keep updating us on your journey. Good luck! ^_^

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Poor Kairasa thinks she has a yen
For those clean-cut young Ivy League men.
Although they look cute
In their blazers and suits,
They can only get it up now and then.

"Bottom line is, even if you see 'em coming, you're not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So what are we, helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are."

#10 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Haha yeah! The funny thing is I acutally want to be a dermatologist so that I can help people like me and maybe do some research to help stop all of this acne madness!

Thanks for your advice on the dosage of BP. Because I really don't think im going to need the full two pump worth, I really don't need to dry out my cheeks or anything, really, just coating my problem spots I think is the most where I will need to go.

Thanks for your advice!

#11 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Week 3

Will upload pictures tomorrow.

Someone, please tell me that the redness and the burning will end!! I have had 2 cystic pimples this week, which both came through and were done with relatively quickly, but still, they happened, they were big, and they hurt. Right now I'm nursing about 3 active acne spots but mostly I'm dealing with peeling and redness.

Really want this to end. Can't decide if my skin looks better or worse. :(

#12 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Friday of Week 3

Cysts everywhere! Every day I get a new one. Right now I have 7 either forming or have formed. Sure, they heal faster than ususal, but I seem to be getting more than ususal!!

Also, my face is literally raining down in sheets when i touch it, and people are getting grossed out by it. I have tried to only use as much BP as is necessary and the FULL 2 pumps of moisturizer but it's just not working!

I ordered some jojoba oil. I really hope it helps.

~MISERABLE

#13 nick93

nick93

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

My acne was finally starting to get better too and now its getting worse by the day. Its driving me crazy!

Its possible that your skin os reacting to the Bp negatively because its sensitive and maybe after a while longer on it, it will become more resilient and your skin will start to improve.

#14 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Uploading Week 3

Improvement.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9395.jpg
  • IMG_9396.jpg
  • IMG_9397.jpg
  • IMG_9398.jpg

#15 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Week 4

A smile!

I really don't know how the lighting keeps changing on all these. I take the pictures in the same place at the same time.

I think this has been my best week.

Week 5

Hyperpigmentation is so bad! Cystic acne strikes on my cheek... and refueses to leave my forehead.

Oh! Got my jojoba oil! Today is my first day using it. Love it so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9400.jpg
  • IMG_9405.jpg
  • IMG_9406.jpg
  • IMG_9404.jpg
  • IMG_9409.jpg
  • IMG_9410.jpg
  • IMG_9411.jpg

#16 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Week 6

Really thought I would see more results up to this point.

I am unable to tell if my skin is better or not. i have over 6 active acne spots on my chin, and three bumps forming one horrible cyst on my cheek.

Forehead is... better?

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9424.jpg
  • IMG_9425.jpg
  • IMG_9427-4.jpg

#17 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Week 7 +2 Days

Skin is healing much slower than usual. Still getting breakouts, but they are getting smaller and smaller each time. Haven't had a cystic pimple in over 2 weeks. Wow! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to say that.

With my pale skin, the hyperpigmentation is so bright. I hate it Posted Image I get it for every tiny little thing too. Even when it doesnt bleed, doesn't pop.

I am unable to use even a full finger of BP. I am MAYBE using a half of a finger. When I try to ramp up, even so slightly, my whole face turns bright red and burns! I am pretty much only spot treating and using a very thin layer on problem areas. (forehead, chin, hairline).

My rosacea is also really acting up. I think I will hang out on that board for a while and see what I can do.

What do you guys think?

The uploader won't let me upload any more pictures. Stupid thing.

HERE THEY ARE ON IMGUR IN AN ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/jVIRi

#18 Ammy

Ammy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

oh you are so pretty =D

Thanks for stopping by my blog, love it when someone comment something cause it makes me feel like i'm not alone in this crap situation haha.

Btw, from your pictures your skin was flawless at the start of the regimen, if i were you i wouldn't even started it.
Even i had more acnes than you from the start point i'm a bit regret doing the regimen at the point, i should have started it during my 3 months holiday not when i have loads of uni work to do and its causing me so much stress and of cuz , stress=acnes sigh..

#19 downwithcysticacne

downwithcysticacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thanks! :3

I know that in the first pics my skin looks pretty good, but I can assure you it's not the case. I would NOT have gone through this for an imaginary problem. Everyone I know thinks I have pretty moderate/severe. Most of what I had was cystic, and doesn't show up well in photos.

In the beginning I had about 6 cysts at a time, and now I have none, even though I'm still breaking out. I'm stil happy for starting when I did.

Good luck to you!

#20 Ammy

Ammy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Oh i totally get what you meant by that, no one knows our own face better we do=D
Thats why whenever i told my mom how frustrated i am about my acnes she never seems to understand how i feel, its like she doesnt even think its that big deal..obviously thats bcuz its not on her face =(

Wow so you start to see some good results? congrats ! I hope it continue to get better and better =)

Mine is Ok, not so great yet but i'm only on my day 17 shouldn't expect too much result now haha.