Photo

Just Tried Skin Needling For The First Time

skin needling scars scar treatments dry tattooing needling hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

So I just tried my very first session of skin needling on Thursday. It's been 3 days and I'm already seeing a reduction in hyperpigmentation and my scars appear more shallow. I'm kind of stunned, I wasn't expecting it to really work that great.. I've learned not to get my hopes up after a lot of disappointments with past treatments. The Esthetician said I should see pretty significant results between day 5 and day 14 and that my skin will continue to improve for up to a year.

For those of you who haven't heard of skin needling, it's done with a dry tattoo gun. Each little needle penetrates the skin and the body perceives this as an injury and therefore begins collagen production which plumps up pitted scars, smooths wrinkles and improves pigment. She applied a numbing cream to my face 30 minutes prior to the needling. It hurt... but not bad enough to stop or to make me reconsider a second session, though. My skin was red and felt somewhat like a sunburn afterward for the entire duration of the evening, but by the next day I looked back to normal. I'm really hoping this will be the answer I've been looking for to feel pretty on my wedding day! I just wanted to share with any of you who are also looking for an answer to your scars/dark marks. I'll keep you posted!
"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

#2 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:31 PM.

#3 FruitBiscuits

FruitBiscuits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

yeah, i think it's micro-swelling and usually last only a few days...3 days is too early to tell..it's a long process and you need to have patients to see the improvement...that's what I heard when i did research...

do you have before and after photo? i've never tried needling myself...how deep your scars are? mines are shallow side...but its wide area on my cheeks...

hope you will look gorgeous on your wedding day Posted Image

#4 Zante

Zante

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

What you're seeing are referred to as transitory changes. They are temporary and are for the reasons the previous posters describe.

Edited by Zante, 09 April 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#5 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

A tattoo needle, eh? Not to be a dick but even the smallest available tattoo needle (0.35mm diameter) is too big. It's going to do more harm than good. A needle for PCI should be no larger than 0.25mm in diameter.

The improvement you're seeing now is microswelling, true results simply cannot show after 3 days, not even 14 days, the remodeling process takes months. Even after the remodling process is complete, you'll still need many more treatments because one session is never enough.

So yeah, don't do that again. Read up on dermarolling, I recommend owndoc. http://dermaroller.owndoc.com and http://forum.owndoc.com

I just thought I'd pop in to read this and saw this post. I don't want to be harsh either, but you DO sound like a dick. The poster never stated she used a tattoo needle, just that whatever needle was in a tattoo gun. I don't know much about the whole thing at all, but there is no need to write what you did in the way you did, you sound kinda horrible, I mean 'don't do that again'.

I know this is a case of 'omg something is wrong on the internet' from me, but I thought I should say something.

I hope you get the results you are after 'the uphill battle', I'm sure you'll look pretty on your wedding day regardless!
Started (Ro)Accutane :)
Month 1- 20mg
Month 2- 50mg
Month 3- 50mg

I literally do not care what you think about accutane, it was MY choice to take it, respect that.

#6 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

#7 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I just thought I'd pop in to read this and saw this post. I don't want to be harsh either, but you DO sound like a dick. The poster never stated she used a tattoo needle, just that whatever needle was in a tattoo gun. I don't know much about the whole thing at all, but there is no need to write what you did in the way you did, you sound kinda horrible, I mean 'don't do that again'.

I know this is a case of 'omg something is wrong on the internet' from me, but I thought I should say something.

I hope you get the results you are after 'the uphill battle', I'm sure you'll look pretty on your wedding day regardless!

Tattoo guns can't hold any needles but tattoo needles.. 'Don't do that again' was serious advice, op will potentially damage their face permanently if they do. I'm not sure what you see wrong with it, maybe you're reading it incorrectly.

Maybe I am a dick for bursting op's bubble, but there's really no other way to tell someone they're damaging their face and the results she's seeing are temporary when she's being lied to by her esthetician, or the esthetician simply doesn't understand how microneedling and collagen induction works. I'd rather tell them and be seen as a tosser than sit back and watch them spend money on something fruitless.

I was just saying maybe you should try to be a bit more careful about how you say things (type things really) as it came across quite rude. I gave that line as an example as it sounded like an order, like what an angry parent would bark at a small child. I understand that you meant well.
Started (Ro)Accutane :)
Month 1- 20mg
Month 2- 50mg
Month 3- 50mg

I literally do not care what you think about accutane, it was MY choice to take it, respect that.

#8 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

#9 Zante

Zante

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

I didn't interpret what Nope.avi said as being rude. He/she was giving good advice and making the potential consequences of the OP's actions clear. This is not a psychological support board, we're all here to discuss what works and what doesn't, as well as address misconceptions and save people trouble.

#10 Theoneandonly

Theoneandonly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

I agree nope does not sound rude att all and is keeping it real Thank you!

#11 sverd

sverd

anonymous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Please keep updating to let us know if these results were temporary or permanent.

#12 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Geez... I wasn't expecting such harsh responses. I just wanted to share my experience and give others a potential solution to their scars. I know the Esthetician very well and I trust her. She has been performing skin needling on herself for years and even though she's like 60, her skin is incredible. She also provided this treatment for her daughter who had severe, severe cystic acne in her 20's; skin needling improved her scars and ultimately changed her life. I know the whole concept of skin needling sounds crazy and weird, but my results are legitimate. I want to clarify that the needling never caused me to bleed or anything. I have tattoos and it didn't feel like my face was getting tattooed, the needles really just felt more like a scratching sensation. They are merely brushed across the skin.

Maybe this will help explain it better than I can:
http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Anyways, it is totally up to you to decide if you think skin needling is worth your time or not, I just thought the whole point of this website was to try to give each other ideas, potential solutions and support. So this was my experience, I'm just throwing it out there, take it how you will.

Edited by the uphill battle, 10 April 2012 - 08:35 PM.

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

#13 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#14 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well, keep in mind I had numbing cream put on 30 minutes prior, that may be why it only felt like scratching to me. Anyways, tired of defending myself. My skin looks great and I'm really happy. I'll think twice next time I try to post any successes.

Edited by the uphill battle, 11 April 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#15 lilredriot

lilredriot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Well, keep in mind I had numbing cream put on 30 minutes prior, that may be why it only felt like scratching to me. Anyways, tired of defending myself. My skin looks great and I'm really happy. I'll think twice next time I try to post any successes.

I don't think anyone is being rude - they're trying to help you.

You're not defending yourself...your defending faulty skin care practices that have been performed on you (and will cause you harm if you continue them).

Their statements are indeed backed up by science - please listen to them so you don't end up with permanent damage :)

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

#16 Theoneandonly

Theoneandonly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

are u crazy woman we are saying that your results are temp omg yea you are gunna riun your skin jeez so many crazies

#17 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Maybe it is coincidence that my skin has improved, but all l I know is my skin looks better than it has in years. Thanks for everyone's concerns, but I'm going to be okay!

Edited by the uphill battle, 14 April 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#18 *Can*I*Live*

*Can*I*Live*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

good to hear that your happy with the results youve gotten out of dermarolling.
The name is a referance to a song from the Reasonable Doubt album. Incase you were wondering...

#19 Liquid_Ocelot

Liquid_Ocelot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hey the uphill battle,

Anyways, it is totally up to you to decide if you think skin needling is worth your time or not, I just thought the whole point of this website was to try to give each other ideas, potential solutions and support. So this was my experience, I'm just throwing it out there, take it how you will.

And that's exactly what we need more of. Don't mind some of the people here. They may be trying to help but there are ways of saying things. We need to encourage more people to share their experiences regarding scar treatments instead of shooting them down.

Also, I can confirm that the 'scratching sensation' is an accurate description. I have had Dermapen treatments (0.15mm needle width) going in at 1.5mm, and it does indeed feel like a scratching sensation due to the speed of the needles going in.

Good luck the uphill battle and thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully you can come back and share your long term results.

Edited by Liquid_Ocelot, 21 May 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#20 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Edited by Nope.avi, 08 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.