Photo

Need Advice Please (Differin .03 To .01)

differin breakout .01 .03 accutane bad benzaclin zinc

4 replies to this topic

#1 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ok so im currently deployed overseas in Afghanistan and I started breaking out about 2 months ago. (6 months after Accutane treatment) So I caalled my local doc and got differin .03 gel sent to me. I have been using it for 5 weeks now and my face has EXPLODED! I know you have to give it 8 weeks though. The thing is I was first sent .03 gel and im almost out so I got a refill sent and its .01 gel. WILL THE .01 STILL WORK FOR ME AFTER USING THE .03 FOR 2 MONTHS/??? Im affraid this is going to be all for nothing!

Right now im using

AM
BP 10% body wash
Benzaclin
Zinc 75

PM
BP 10% wash
Differin .03 (going to be .01 soon!)
Doxycycline 100 (Gave to us for milaria)

#2 happily after

happily after

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

I believe it will work better for you since what you describe seems that 0.03 is too harsh on you. My personal experience is the more irritation the more breakouts. But if what you describe is only initial breakout from using 0.03 without irritation, then 0.01 might be too gentle to work for you.

Anyways, you have to try so you can know. Everyone's skin is very different.

Edited by alibaba, 06 April 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#3 allisoncatherine

allisoncatherine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

HEY! I'm at my 5th week of differin 0.3 as well....the initial breakout for a lot of differin users happens between weeks 3-5. I mean, my face looked awful in week 4...horrendous! Never had that many pimples in my life. But now, its starting to calm down. Give it a whole 12 weeks. I would keep applying the differin 0.1 until your 0.3 gets in. I've heard it works wonders for those who stick with it. Derm also said that 0.3 just works faster than 0.1. I dont think the 0.1 will be absolutely INEFFECTIVE for you..it might just take longer for it to work...but that also has its benefits...that means, that its not going to be drawing out those impurities from your skin as fast as the 0.3 so the IB might be less Posted Image If you're in no hurry and just want consistently better skin without too bad of an IB, stick with the 0.1...but if you are willing to deal with a monstrous IB for a few weeks, but want the results sooner, stick with 0.3. I'm posting a link to a study that compared the effectiveness of adapalene 0.3 vs. 0.1 (main ingredient in differin). Look at the graph on page 247. Significant reduction in inflammatory/comedonal lesions was seen after 8 weeks when using differin 0.3. However, when using differin 0.1....a significant reduction was first witnessed at the 12 week mark.

Link: http://www.piel.com....2/adapaleno.pdf

Also, in that study, please look at the pictures on page 248....notice that the patient's acne did appear to get a lot worse before it got any better Posted Image Just be patient! Best of luck!

Edited by allisoncatherine, 06 April 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#4 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thank you very interesting! My next question is if I use .03 for 8 weeks and it clears up will the .01 maintain it?

#5 allisoncatherine

allisoncatherine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

If I were you...I would stick with the differin 0.3 for at least 12 weeks. A lot of people keep saying that it gives magical results by week 12. After 12 weeks, if you are still not satisfied with your skin, I would keep up with the differin 0.3. Just keep using it till you DO have the skin you want. Once that point is reached, I would start using differin 0.3 every other night and introduce 0.1 on the nights that your'e not using differin 0.3. So for example, you'd go from using differin 0.3 every day to using it on mondays, wednesdays and fridays whereas, tuesdays, thursdays and weekends, you apply the 0.1....if your skin reacts fine to that...then start increasing the days you use the 0.1 per week and start decreasing the days you use 0.3...and watch how your skin adjusts to it. So go from using the 0.3 3x a week, and 0.1 4x a week to maybe only using the differin 0.3 2 times a week and on all the other days, use 0.1. I would kind of "wean" off of differin 0.3 and allow your skin to transition to the 0.1 :) I hope that helps!

Edited by allisoncatherine, 06 April 2012 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users