Photo

Retin-A, Clindamycin, Now Doxycyclin? Help?

retin-a clindamycin doxycyclin acne mild moderate regemin pimple pimples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gabcookie

Gabcookie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Okay, i just went back to my dermatologist for my follow up appointment. I have mild/moderate acne, but ever since i started using retina-a and clindamycin, i feel as if my skin has gotten worse or hasn't improved. Now I'm getting pimples on my cheeks which never happened. He switched my regimen now to
Clindamycin in the morning after washing my face
Retin-A at night after washing my face

He also gave me a prescription for Doxycyclin(sp?)
Has anyone either used the regimen of Retin-a and clindamycin or the pill of Doxycyclin???

Please help!

#2 frackgirl33

frackgirl33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 44
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

Okay, i just went back to my dermatologist for my follow up appointment. I have mild/moderate acne, but ever since i started using retina-a and clindamycin, i feel as if my skin has gotten worse or hasn't improved. Now I'm getting pimples on my cheeks which never happened. He switched my regimen now to

Has anyone either used the regimen of Retin-a and clindamycin or the pill of Doxycyclin???

Please help!

Yes, I am on this exact regimen, and I don't feel it's an uncommon one. I didn't start the doxy until after using the retin-a and clindamycin for a few months, as I was hoping not to have to take any pills...especially antibiotics... but I must admit that I have seen a lot of improvement since adding them to my regimen. Almost everyone goes through an initial breakout with retin-a so depending on how long you've been using it, that may be what you are experiencing. How long have you been using it? Retin-A does take quite a while to work, unfortunately. And it doesn't always work for everyone. But I really feel it has helped me (in combination with the clindamycin and doxycycline). I have been using it for about 4 1/2 months.

#3 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

I was on a retinoid (DIfferin to be exact) and also given Doxy. It worked well because Doxy fixed things from the inside out. Just wear sunscreen because Doxy makes you photosensitive. I also recommend staying out of the sun whenever possible. I got bad headaches.
My Regimen

AM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser with Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisiturizer

PM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser w/o Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisturizer w/ Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

FOR FOLLICULITIS & ECZEMA
Triamcimolone as needed
Ketoconazole 2% Cream (spot treatment only) twice daily
Clarifoam once daily
Noble Soap everytime I shower

PHASING OUT
Differin 0.3% (spot treatment only)

#4 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

I was on doxy and used duac gel during that time.
I took the doxy for 3 or 4 months - it did help improve my acne but I was never completely clear while on it and about a month after I stopped my acne was back but thankfully not as bad as it had been before I started doxy.

over time though without taking prescription pills (I just don't like the idea of taking all these pills) my acne is back to how it was. :(

From memory doxy increases sensitivity / can lead to a photosensitive rash to the sun so make sure you have a good SPF or try to avoid too much sun exposure. Also take it as you have been advised to / as the bottle says - eg. if it says take with food, then do so.

I really hope it will work for you! :) Good luck!

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#5 Gabcookie

Gabcookie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Please help!

Yes, I am on this exact regimen, and I don't feel it's an uncommon one. I didn't start the doxy until after using the retin-a and clindamycin for a few months, as I was hoping not to have to take any pills...especially antibiotics... but I must admit that I have seen a lot of improvement since adding them to my regimen. Almost everyone goes through an initial breakout with retin-a so depending on how long you've been using it, that may be what you are experiencing. How long have you been using it? Retin-A does take quite a while to work, unfortunately. And it doesn't always work for everyone. But I really feel it has helped me (in combination with the clindamycin and doxycycline). I have been using it for about 4 1/2 months.

Ah well I'm glad it has been working out for you then, makes me feel a little more confident (:! I honestly don't want to take antibiotics but I will give it a shot. I've been using the Retin-A/clindamycin for about 3- 3 1/2 months now. I just started the pills today! I'll keep an update on this, or a blog on this!

I was on doxy and used duac gel during that time.
I took the doxy for 3 or 4 months - it did help improve my acne but I was never completely clear while on it and about a month after I stopped my acne was back but thankfully not as bad as it had been before I started doxy.

over time though without taking prescription pills (I just don't like the idea of taking all these pills) my acne is back to how it was. Posted Image

From memory doxy increases sensitivity / can lead to a photosensitive rash to the sun so make sure you have a good SPF or try to avoid too much sun exposure. Also take it as you have been advised to / as the bottle says - eg. if it says take with food, then do so.

I really hope it will work for you! Posted Image Good luck!

Im sorry :/! My concern is that I'm going to play beach volleyball this summer, it'll be during 5 or that time so the sun won't be that brutal! Yet wearing sunscreen i hope will help then!

#6 frackgirl33

frackgirl33

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 44
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Please help!

Ah well I'm glad it has been working out for you then, makes me feel a little more confident (:! I honestly don't want to take antibiotics but I will give it a shot. I've been using the Retin-A/clindamycin for about 3- 3 1/2 months now. I just started the pills today! I'll keep an update on this, or a blog on this!

You are starting the doxy almost the exact same point of the clinda/retin-a treatment that I did! I just finished my first bottle of doxy so I've been on it just barely over 1 month...I am happy to report that I have had NO active spots for 3 days! I don't even remember the last time I've had 3 perfectly clear days! Oh I also wanted to mention that I spot treat with Dan's BP in the morning after using clindamycin. And even though I'm clear right now, I am still using the BP on my jawline because that is where I break out most. I highly recommend taking progress photos weekly or bi-weekly so you can monitor your progress. Unfortunately I didn't start doing this until 1 month into my treatment (I was one of the very LUCKY ones that did NOT have an initial breakout). So I can still see a lot of progress but I really wish I had a before picture, because it was actually pretty bad before I started the clinda/retin-a.

And I make sure to take the Doxy after a meal or else I suffer from extreme nausea (I've actually vomited 3 or 4 times because I hadn't eaten enough... it can be pretty harsh on the stomach).

I am really interested to see how this works for you since our regimens are so similar. Let me know if you have any questions along the way!

#7 Gabcookie

Gabcookie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thank you (:! I did take a picture and I'll do it weekly(: see how it goes! Im going to take a pill an hour after I eat according to the dermatologist. So let's see how it works!

#8 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I'm on the exact same regimen as you! I have been for the past couple of years. It worked wonderfully for me until a couple of months ago. Just try and be patient (I know, it's hard), but you should start clearing up. Good luck!

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#9 Brown Spots

Brown Spots

Acne Battler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I was on a regimen similar to this for the longest time (over a year). Is your retin-a cream or gel? If it's a cream it might contain isopropyl myristate which is very comedogenic. About the anti-biotics my opinion is they are so over-used to treat acne and can cause worse acne if they're used for too long. So you’re better off finding a better alternative like natural treatments perhaps, eating healthier, exercising etc. which can help your acne and your overall health. About my personal experience with this stuff is the retin-a cleared my black and whiteheads and some of my inflamed acne but never got me clear. I blame the isopropyl myristate. Clindamycin seemed to work well but not amazing. I tried Doxy but it didn't seem to do very much at the time so I dropped it again three months. Later I tried minocycline (with retin-a & clindamycin) which was what cleared me quite a bit but I still had a few cysts etc. Hope I helped and good luck with this!
Regimen
Morning
Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash
Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture SPF 15
Evening
Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash
Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

Started Accutane on 11/4/11
Finished Accutane on 7/3/12