The Differin Diaries

493 replies to this topic

#481 PRIMERA08

PRIMERA08

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm on week 17 and I was just wondering whether it's normal for my skin type to stay the same? I have never had problems in terms of dryness and my skin have always stayed oily (ever since acne has become part of my life).

#482 rosytropics

rosytropics

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

So after years of dealing with acne I finally joined this site yay! I just finished Week 12 of differin (I'm also on Aczone 2x a day.) 

Before I started on it my skin was very very congested, with tons of whiteheads and blackheads, mild surface acne. After a couple weeks on differin I started getting acne like I had never had before...under the skin, cystic, inflamed all across my cheeks. Weeks 4-8 was a really terrible time for me...you know when you're literally scared to look in a mirror or have your picture taken? That was me every day. Now after week 12, I've noticed improvement especially on my right cheek in terms of the number of big under the skin pimples, but I've noticed new ones forming on my left side (though that might be because I switched my night moisturizer from the one I was using from Juice Beauty which I love.) 

If anyone has had a similar experience after Week 12 of Differin please please help!! I was getting hopeful that my skin was finally out of the purging phase, but now I'm not sure :( 

#483 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

On week 15 now on Differin (0.3% adapalene). Previously on Tactuo (0.1% adapalene, 2.5% BP) for over a year. The last month has been complete hell. Current break out is the worst its ever been.

Could this be a final purge? I'm losing hope ...

Edited by kingleonidas, 08 December 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#484 GeorgeGeorge

GeorgeGeorge

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

Hi all,
I am a mild acne sufferer and now using differin again after trying it when I was 16, and it being successful, but I'm now back to how my skin was at first. So far, I am really suffering with dry skin and flakiness. I don't have any products for cleansing or moisturising and just feel lost with what to do! I'm 19 next week and still suffer from mild acne! It really sucks. If anyone has any product recommendations or any advice it would be highly appreciated.

#485 fightzits0077

fightzits0077

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:56 AM

Dry skin can led to more breakouts, my personal experience. 

Try a light moisturizer ? I go good with those serum liquid kind.

#486 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

So after years of dealing with acne I finally joined this site yay! I just finished Week 12 of differin (I'm also on Aczone 2x a day.) 

Before I started on it my skin was very very congested, with tons of whiteheads and blackheads, mild surface acne. After a couple weeks on differin I started getting acne like I had never had before...under the skin, cystic, inflamed all across my cheeks. Weeks 4-8 was a really terrible time for me...you know when you're literally scared to look in a mirror or have your picture taken? That was me every day. Now after week 12, I've noticed improvement especially on my right cheek in terms of the number of big under the skin pimples, but I've noticed new ones forming on my left side (though that might be because I switched my night moisturizer from the one I was using from Juice Beauty which I love.) 

If anyone has had a similar experience after Week 12 of Differin please please help!! I was getting hopeful that my skin was finally out of the purging phase, but now I'm not sure sad.png

I'm on the exact same regimen though my derm is going to replace differin with a retinoid if i can tolerate it, in a few months.  In my experiences with retinoids, if you're not seeing some consistent improvement by week 12-16, it may be time to switch things up.  Atralin (retinoids .05%) was very gentle on my skin so you may want to give it a try.  FYI, in my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, topicals never cleared my acne 100%

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#487 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

Approaching week 16 on Differin 0.3%.

The week before was truly awful. Worst by skin has ever been. But I've been healing really fast and I think that it was my 'final purge' and things are doing very well now. Problems are mostly PIH now with a couple of cystic bumps left. Hoping next week I'll be bump-free!

Edited by kingleonidas, 14 December 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#488 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

It's officially been 16 weeks now on Differin 0.3%. I thought things were clearing up but I just got another set of whiteheads. I'm so frustrated. I have a family vacation coming up in a few days and I think I'm going to have to cancel ...

I can't remember the last week of my life where I did not get any acne .... losing hope.

#489 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

Keep on keeping on.  Retinoids are a bitch to deal with.  If by week 18 you are not seeing consistent clearing then maybe switch to a retinoid.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#490 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

leelowe1: thanks for the words of encouragement. Unfortunately I don't think there will be a week 18. I have an appointment with my derm in 2 days and I'm going to ask for accutane

#491 CrossCowboy

CrossCowboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 PM

Okay guys, I've been on differin adapalene for about 4 and a half months now, and I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. My acne is worse than it ever has been right now, differin literally hasn't given me a break in the last four months with constant breakouts of red spots that leave behind persistent red marks. I've had 8 new spots in the last 3 days...

Should I call it quits? I only switched to this stuff cos' my usual cream (duac) wasn't available for a little while where I live, I'm thinking of just going back to it. I was willing to stick this stuff out for 3 or 4 months, but the breakouts are literally still just getting worse; differin is making me look 14 again (I'm 22 - today, actually. Happy birthday me, here's another half-dozen pimples...)

What do you guys think? Keep pushing or try something else?

#492 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

CrossCowboy: Im in the exact same position, about to hit 4 months and my skins never been worse ... I'm visiting my derm tomorrow to try to get accutane.

#493 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted Today, 04:43 PM

@ kingleonidas - I'm sorry that all the time seem wasted.  If you've exhausted all your options, then by all means give accutane a shot.  I've gone backwards so I've done accutane 4 times and now trying the retinoid road.....again.  I have only used differin 6 times (as I have eczema and trying not to flare it) and already I am purging like you would not believe....I feel so disgusting.  If my eczema doesn't flare up, then at the beginning of February my derm will switch me retin a. 

Interesting thing about differin though, my derm said in her experience, it works best on asian and caucasian skin and less so on african american and spanish skin (I am african american).

That was discouraging to hear right off the bat too.

Hoping you find some relief with accutane

#494 kingleonidas

kingleonidas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted Today, 05:47 PM

@leelowe1 Just came back from my derm. it doesnt look like accutane will be available for me in the immediate future. my derm said he would consider accutane and scheduled me for blood tests but i will soon be moving to the US (From Canada) temporarily for a few months so I wont be able to get on accutane until I move back since i would need to do regular checkups.

My derm just prescribed me clindoxyl and minocycline (i was also previously on doxycycline).

I was previously using tactuo (also known as epiduo) which has 0.1% adapalene (and 2.5% BP) for over a year. Since my differin is just just 0.3% adapalene, I don't see any point in continuing.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm asian but it looks like differin is not working for me. I wish you the best of luck. I will continue posting in this forum with my progress. Let's stay strong together!

Edit: After reading some other people's post. it looks like differin + clindoxyn is a common combo. not sure if i should give up differin altogether or try to use them in conjuction.

Edited by kingleonidas, Today, 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users