The Differin Diaries

474 replies to this topic

#421 Sboo

Sboo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

yeah, they cover up fine...if I can just stop myself from squeezing them just before I want to put make up on :(

#422 BumpyNuisances

BumpyNuisances

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Is anyone else on antibiotics as a combination treatment?

#423 UsedToBe

UsedToBe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

has anyone here developed an allergic reaction to differin?? ( Adapalene) ??? like you cant use it anymore cause it makes your face really red, peel, and itchy than normal? thanks

Edited by UsedToBe, 02 February 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#424 Sboo

Sboo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

i'm on erythromycin and zinc solution topically in the morning, and differin at night.  although im not sure that the alcohol in the erythromycin / zinc solution isnt beginning to irritate my skin, so im onl really using i on my cheeks as else where it kind of itches and stings (and this was before i began using the differin)

to begin with , maybe the first 5 days, differin cAUSED MY A BUT OF REDNESS, NO STINGING, AND FLAKEY TYPE PEELING in places.  This has since stopped (now done 3 weeks).  My skin is only greasy when i have the differin on.  During the day it seems ok with just simple oil free moisturiser over the erythromycin / zinc, and mabylene bb cream over that.

(sorry about the shouting outburt......my fingers are feeling fat tonight and caught the capslock, lol!!)

#425 Sboo

Sboo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

How are you getting on SlinkyVintage?? Im on week 4 tomorrow, and combined with my "time of the month" , i think this may be my IB :(  Everything seemed to be going so well, a little too well!!! A couple of days ago i started getting loads of those small skin colored bumps, even on my left cheek whcih has been just about clear for years.  theyre way more visable in some lights too.  Up until yest / today only had a few active spots, and now....loads :( still no major large really hard painful ones, but just lots and lots of smaller ones, some skin coloured, some red, some larger and containing hard pustules.  i've had a really rubbish day, work, car and other things, and am feeling so fed up with it all right now :(

Anyway, be good to hear how youre doing

#426 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Heya Sboo, I keep my very own log here, feel free to join :P

http://www.acne.org/...ferin-01/page-2

I'm the opposite, just finishing off week 4 now and my skin has never looked/felt better :)
I had my IB pretty much when I first started using it and only now has it actually been properly improving - my acne is closed comedones and I've been seeing a vast reduction in them this past week or so. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough few days - just remember it doesn't last forever :) Maybe all of the stuff that you're seeing has been lurking under your skin for ages and the adapelene is just making it so the spots and bumps have less to hide underneath.
I still get spots at the moment but I know that the Differin will help it heal so much faster, so much so that they will be gone by the next morning :) hang in there: you're doing great!

#427 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Lifting

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi everyone I'm new to this just so you all know but a few months back I went to the derm and she put me on mino and gave me a bag full of differin 0.3 and said use it twice a week as a spot treatment. Well I used it once made my skin terrible and stoped

#428 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Lifting

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

So I just put the stuff on the shelf and my acne got a little worse and worse so I looked up a few things on differin and apparently it can work wonders. But how bad was the ib for you guys? I barely wanna leave the house now with moderate acne if it gets really bad that wouldn't be good haha

#429 StefanG

StefanG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thought I'd post my contributions after searching this forum inside out over the years :)

Had acne at age of 13, let it build up for 3 years then finally went to local GP. Prescribed me retin-a micro and doxy, which cleared up my moderate-severe acne in around 6 months. Unfortunately retin a became discontinued so I cut off all medication completely, and a year and a half later my acne has returned to id say mild-moderate level (was progressively getting worse).

Went to GP and got prescribed differin 2 weeks ago. Currently on day 13 of my differin journey, and I am fully aware of what to expect from this treatment.

Day 1-5 - Well I initially thought I had an alergic reaction, because it seemed way too early for an IB. I had 3 LARGE inflamed pastules appear on my face pretty much overnight. 

Day 5-11 - Luckily not too much happened (apart from a large amount of peeling and dryness of the face), and these new pastules slowly healed up. Had a breakout on my lip which sort of annoyed me (because I dont even apply differin there, and lip spots are so hard to treat!)

Day 11-now - The original pastules are now pretty much healed up (apart from PIH), but had an outbreak on one cheek of many many small bumps. Some became inflamed, and some are just skin coloured. Sort of worried because since im not even 2 weeks in I doubt this is even the IB, and im horrified to what could happen in the next few weeks.... if i remember correctly, my retin-a IB happpened on week 3 and by week 6 my face was about the same as what it was before i started taking the medication, so I can only hope I guess....

On a side note, I can feel a horrid under skin bump which hasn't come to surface. I havent suffered from cystic acne since I was on retin - a, so this is really worrying me too. I Just hope it doesnt surface into a monster....

#430 StefanG

StefanG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

Updating:

Currently near the end of my 3rd week on differin, and i think i've encountered the first stage of my real IB

My left cheek pretty much exploded, there were 2 actives on there and a day ago I woke up with 6 raging pastules (all with large whiteheads). Looks disgusting, and I think this is the point where I just need to realise that these things will get worse before better.

On a positive note, my right cheek and mouth area are looking better than before, which is a relief, just waiting for those to break out now! 

Its really quite annoying though, because the acne on one cheek is really mild, and the other one right now looks about moderate, half my face is a mess!

#431 StefanG

StefanG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Updating:

Just finished end of week 6. Things look so much better than the start of my initial breakout thats for sure, but its quite hard to say whether things have improved from the start. The amount of active acne is about the same as bassline, but there is soo much PIH. Although its not as dark coloured as it was at the start, im sure differin is helping fade it which is great.

The amount of breakouts have slightly decreased from the start of the IB, but I still am breaking out. Maybe not as severely though. 

Hope things are just going to continue going uphill from here. Progress has definitely not been linear though, there are some days/weeks which are good, some which are worse. In the long run things should get better though.

#432 SickAndTiredNow

SickAndTiredNow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys. 

I've been using differin on my chin for about 5 months and it has worked wonders. I saw great results after 4 months i think. 

I suffer from forehead acne as well and have been using it on my forehead for about 3 months now. I haven't seen the same results so far, but It's slowly getting better. My IB also came a bit later with my forehead compared to the chin. Anyone who has an explanation? I think my IB started around week 4-5 on my chin, but my forehead really had a bad breakout around week 7. 

Still, hang on guys. Differin worked for my chin!  Hopefully I will see results on my forehead within a month. !

#433 StefanG

StefanG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hey guys. 

I've been using differin on my chin for about 5 months and it has worked wonders. I saw great results after 4 months i think. 

I suffer from forehead acne as well and have been using it on my forehead for about 3 months now. I haven't seen the same results so far, but It's slowly getting better. My IB also came a bit later with my forehead compared to the chin. Anyone who has an explanation? I think my IB started around week 4-5 on my chin, but my forehead really had a bad breakout around week 7. 

Still, hang on guys. Differin worked for my chin!  Hopefully I will see results on my forehead within a month. !

I've just finished week 7 and I can relate to what you are going through. I only use it on my cheeks and jawline, and it was like the IB came in 4 phases for each area, ranging between week 3 and end of week 6. my guess would be that it depends on the depth of your acne. If most the crap is near the surface of the skin, it would come to surface earlier, and vice versa. Luckily for me although each week i experienced a bad breakout in a different area, overall my face is definitely looking better :)

#434 shewastoday

shewastoday

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Camping, Rock climbing… Pretty much doing anything outdoors! Vegetarianism/ Veganism

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

I just started on monday, and so far so good. It's doing everything I was told it would do. I'm purging, and hopefully by the end of the month it'll be time for the healing stage. We'll see! I'm also taking pictures and blogging every few days with updates of my thoughts and feelings. 

#435 lauraaa

lauraaa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Anyone else currently on Differin? I'm on the 0.1 cream but I may ask for the 0.3 gel when I go to the doctor in a month's time. To be honest I don't really know what Differin is doing at the moment. I've been on it for almost 4 weeks, and I have a massive papule on my right cheek (considering I rarely get acne on my cheeks unless my acne is going through a bad stage) and it doesn't seem to be clearing up the closed comedones on my forehead at all. I have a cluster of closed comedones on my chin too (the area I'm most self conscious about) which looks like a pink patch but when I smile it gets SO red and the white grains are so noticeable. A couple of these comedones look a little more bumpy than usual? Which I'm hoping it means they're FINALLY coming to the surface after years?? But considering I have about 40 wretched things sitting under my skin on my chin, it's hardly a difference that a couple MAY be improving.

Can anyone offer any experience/help/advice on this - does Differin really work wonders for comedonal acne? I was on Duac last year which helped with my inflammatory acne but not the comedones.

I just started on monday, and so far so good. It's doing everything I was told it would do. I'm purging, and hopefully by the end of the month it'll be time for the healing stage. We'll see! I'm also taking pictures and blogging every few days with updates of my thoughts and feelings. 

How are you getting on with the Differin? What sort of acne do you have? Is it helping? :)

Hey guys. 

How is your differin treatment going? I'm using it primarily to get rid of the awful under-the-skin comedones on my chin, do you have comedonal acne there or is it inflammatory? 

#436 StefanG

StefanG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Anyone else currently on Differin? I'm on the 0.1 cream but I may ask for the 0.3 gel when I go to the doctor in a month's time. To be honest I don't really know what Differin is doing at the moment. I've been on it for almost 4 weeks, and I have a massive papule on my right cheek (considering I rarely get acne on my cheeks unless my acne is going through a bad stage) and it doesn't seem to be clearing up the closed comedones on my forehead at all. I have a cluster of closed comedones on my chin too (the area I'm most self conscious about) which looks like a pink patch but when I smile it gets SO red and the white grains are so noticeable. A couple of these comedones look a little more bumpy than usual? Which I'm hoping it means they're FINALLY coming to the surface after years?? But considering I have about 40 wretched things sitting under my skin on my chin, it's hardly a difference that a couple MAY be improving.

Can anyone offer any experience/help/advice on this - does Differin really work wonders for comedonal acne? I was on Duac last year which helped with my inflammatory acne but not the comedones.

How are you getting on with the Differin? What sort of acne do you have? Is it helping? smile.png

>

Hey guys. 

How is your differin treatment going? I'm using it primarily to get rid of the awful under-the-skin comedones on my chin, do you have comedonal acne there or is it inflammatory? 

Although my primary concern was most definitely inflamatory acne, I did have a fair few closed comedones before i started differin, and during my differin course.

When I was 4 weeks into treatment of the 0.1 gel, (currently nearly 3 months now) I had more closed comedones than i started off with, and that is for sure. Now my face is perfectly smooth all over, and all though it doesnt look anywhere near 100% yet it feels so smooth compared to the bumpy texture it had until about 2 months in.

All im saying is, is that 4 weeks in consider yourself lucky if your acne has just got slightly worse. Mine was about 4x worse (comedones too) a month in compared to basepoint. It feels like nothing is happening, but it CRAZY how quickly positive change can suddenly occur, so keep going :)

#437 Pink heels

Pink heels

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

Is anyone still on differin here? :)

#438 LiekeVere

LiekeVere

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I have been on differin and Claritrocymine (antibiotics) since november. Did only apply differin to my cheeks. Then stopped in March, began BP and quitted antibiotics. Two weeks later I began breaking out. Was put back on antibiotics and differin and do now apply it all over my face. I am definitely in my initial break out period. I have been using it for almost three weeks now and especially my forehead looks terrible, but really terrible. The rest of my face is ok, lots of HP, but no active pimples. But the forehead: terrible. Big inflamed pimples, which appear over night. I think these pimples were closed comedones (blackheads e.g.) which have been brought to the surface due to differin. Will continue differin for two more weeks, then I am going to discuss it with my dermatologist. I am even considering Accutane......

#439 Pink heels

Pink heels

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:03 AM

Hi there
I've been on differin for 5 weeks , starting week 6 today
I've been having my initial breakout for the last two weeks and literally EVERY pore on my cheekshas come to a whitehead- I have over 100 whiteheads on my cheeks which I'm taking as a really good sign cause differin pushes everything to the surface
Fingers crossed this works !!!

I'm gonna give it 12 weeks and I'm confident it's gonna work by then as I think every pore is being purged yayy

#440 livelife1992

livelife1992

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi pink and liek I am currently three days into week seven of differin 1% for comedonal acne.

Basically I had clear skin till early last year. Then all these tiny flesh coloured bumps decided to appear and the feeling of having them everywhere and never being able to scrub them off is such a pain in the arse and was what led me to get help.

So I had millions of clogged pores on my right cheek. Left cheek was never a problem. Forehead had a lot of those bumps too. And with my chin relatively clear. Oh and these bigger bumps that apoear randomly throughout the day everyday.

Week 1-2: flaky skin, major breakout on forehead with six inflamed pimples.
Weeks 3-4: no change in bumps except some of them grew bigger and I was able to extract but with loads of new scars in the process. That coupled with old scars - hell .
Week 5: forehead cleared. Right cheek noticeable reduction. Left cheek started getting bumps too. Breakout on chin.
Week six: forehead bumps came back. Right cheek cleared but came back with a vengeance.
Week seven till present : forehead clear. Right cheek three bumps present. Left cheek on a bump breakout mania. Chin clear.

So...... I can say that there has been a 50 percent improvement. But one week of clearing and then another of hell has made me want to give up so many times. And I just want to not have to worry anymore. Hope u guys are doing well too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users