The Differin Diaries

517 posts in this topic

On four months of differin use and skin is all broken out as it was before treatment. My expectations for improvement is zilch. Feeling like crap.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Been on differin 0.1% gel for just one week. Was prescribed it for super oily skin and hyperpigmentation/old red scars from where I used to have acne on my cheeks.

What a fantastic product. Within one week the redness of my scars/hyperpigmentatuon has gone down by about 60%. My skin is no longer oily or greasy. It has dried my skin out significantly - a little bit of discomfort and peeling but nothing unbearable. A couple of times i've taken a night off to let my skin stop peeling. It really does work wonders

Ok, so I don't have full blown acne and can't speak for those who do.... but it really has stopped my skin being so oily. Haven't had a single spot since starting the treatment. I'd say that, personally, the discomfort and dry skin has been well worth it.

hey all

I'm 29 and just started differin 0.3 and minocycline 50mg BID 2 weeks ago. I've been reading this blog recently to hear others experiences. I'm really hoping this is what gets me clear before I go into my 30's!

My background - I've suffered from acne ever since I can remember. As a teen I was put on multiple topical creams, atbs, diuretics, birth control, you name it! I went through two rounds of accutane that cleared most pimples, but left blackheads and bumps under my skin. For the last 3 years I have tried multiple OTC treatments and some helped, but nothing cleared me, including the regimen (BP is too drying for my skin). I decided to try going to have professional extractions at a dermatologist. My esthetician wanted me to see a dermatologist for a perscription and that lead me to what I am doing now.

Reading through all of the previous posts has me hopeful and discouraged at this same time.

I'm definitely going through the IB with so many of the bumps coming to the surface. My blackheads on my nose have decreased in just the 2 weeks of using differin. My forehead and chin look horrific. Especially in certain lighting. You can see hundreds of bumps all over . It's exciting to see them finally surfacing, but it sucks going through it!

I've decided to continue with differin for at the least 6 months before switching to something stronger. I'm hoping to hear more encouraging experiences on this blog because I think we all need it!

Jeez I just read through ALL of this and it's been enlightening!

I am on week 7 of Differin 0.1.

Had just finished my 2nd course of accutane and within 3 months I had 50+ closed comedones spread over my cheeks. My derm gave me Differin and I was skeptical because topicals have never worked for me before. Then I did my research and the skepticalness turned into fear from horror stories of IB's!

Coming up for nearly 2 months of using this I couldn't be happier!

I had no horrifc IB. In fact in hindsight I didn't even realise I was having one because I expected massive cysts and papules. In fact most of the comedones seemed to have melted away and the few that became inflamed didn't even grow much bigger!

Week 5 I was 100% clear but I had a slight breakout on Week 6 but I was literally 2 tiny whiteheads and one moderate sized papule. This has gone and I am clear again (for now :P )

My skin is smooth and the texture has improved to the best it's been since I was honestly about 11 which was 13 years ago...! I hope things improve further because this is really working for me and maybe some scar reduction would be nice but I'm not gonna get upset if it doesn't fix that!

Just throwing my 2 cents in for anyone who is deliberating over whether to use Differin!

1 person likes this

Ah so happy to see people in 2015 commenting..I've just read thru nearly the whole thread. I'm up to week mayb 5 now. Skins cr*p ..no imporvment yet but my doctor said it will take 6months and to expect dryness and redness and once I finished things should get better. So that's the hope! But so far my skins just got lots new inflamed spots which I didn't get before.. Quite annoying but I'm living in hope this is just the famous purging people talk about..

To anyone new posting - should I mayb try contact one of the people from a few years back see what they have to say now?

X

Okay so, Im on week 4 of using Differn and my experience is what most of you are also going through. I had mild acne with lots of blackeads and comedones. After trying A LOT of other treatments I went again to my dermatologist and she gave me differin and minotrex. I have been also washing my face 2x day with a cleanser for oily skin. During these 4 weeks my skin has been breaking out like crazy. I wake up with lots of whiteheads and I pop them, then I come from school and have lots of white heads again. I guess that thats good, as all the comedones are coming to the surface. Lets be patient and see how it goes...I really, really hope this works for me :/ Im tired of being scared of looking in the mirror and having to wake up 30min earlier to cover all the imperfections

1 person likes this

Hi everyone,

Just found this yesterday and spent my whole day in work (oops) reading it.

My background:

I'm 24 and had pretty moderate acne for the past two years where it has flared up and then improved at times.

However, for the past few months my acne has got much worse. I suffer with many spots around my mouth. chin, jaw line and cheeks.

My doctor has prescribed me with Differin 0.1% and doxycycline. I have been taking this for the last 2 weeks and although it hasn't worked yet (I'm aware it could take up to 8 months) my spots have not got any worse- which is a good sign! Woop!!

I just really want clear skin as it makes me feel so ugly! Here's hoping my journey will be a successful one!

Glad to meet all you people who are going through the same thing and are on the road to having acne free skin with me!

Looking forward to hearing more updates and I will keep you informed on my journey.

If any one has any tips or suggestions that would be super!

Talk soon guys,

Ciara

1 person likes this

Hey guys I am now on week 11 and if youre reading this pleaseee stick at it! I literally just realised laat night how well this is working.

Did a little comparison picture of week 1 VS week 11. My before is on the right of the pics and the after is on the left, I dunno why I got too excited when making the collage haha.

I am basically clear regarding acne. I get maybe 1 small bump a week right now, but its barely noticable and goes within a day or 2. Crazy considering I technically still have a week until I am supposed to start seeing results.

Keep it at and good luck :)

post-205138-0-18533000-1442570681.jpg

post-205138-0-06543600-1442570696.jpg

1 person likes this

Hey guys I've been on differin 0.1 for about 9 weeks. currently on my 10th week.

I definitely see improvements(would describe it as moderate progress). My old acne scars are fading away and the skin feels smoother. However I am still constantly experiencing breakouts, lots of whiteheads in previously clear area.....

Gotta stick with it at least until week 12. Pimples are not the worst, acne red marks are.......

1 person likes this

So glad I found this forum !! :D 
I got my first spout of acne last year at the age of 22 .. pretty much in my chin area! 
I freaked ! Tried absolutely everything ..nothing worked. . My self esteem plummeted .. There were days where I would literally burst in to tears for no reason. I was working 40+ hours a week while in full time college &all I wanted to do was hide but never had time to ! My hair dresser noticed my hair on my head thinning (beautiful) & suggested I get a hormone test :) once I did it was a turning point for me -I was diagnosed with pcos. . I got put on BC (qlaira) which worked wonders for me. My skin cleared beautifully within 3 months!   I also changed my diet & exercise I take the supplements 
Zinc ccitrate
Vitamin D3
Chromium
Magnesium
& aprebiotic
I also quit smoking
The thing is a month ago I had to come off BC 
I had a pretty bad breakout around chin area 
I'm back on BC but also using differin in hope of helping my skin heal faster 
I'm in week four & having some really unsightly spots ..massive whiteheads & any little lumps are now erupting ! It is so hard not to feel hideous & obsess over this ! 
I'm soooooo looking  forward to week 12 !! Any support would be helpful ! I feel like I'm starting to freak my family& friends out by talking to them!

Hello fellow sufferers!

I am 30, got off birth control about a year ago and started to break out bretty bad. I've always had some acne, but until then Duac had kept it more or less at bay. 

So I did some research and had my GP to prescribe me Differin (I also continue with Dalacin T, 2 times a day). It is 3 and a half weeks now. No significant purge (i.e. not remarkably more breakouts than before). It seems to me that the breakouts I get are more easily poppable, before I just used to get huge red bumps I could do nothing about. 

One funny thing - it feels like my acne is moving from the center of my face more to the lower half and sides. Has anyone else noticed sth like that?

Some recommendations - I use pure aloe vera gel to combat flakyness and irritation. It does not seem to clog my pores. Sometimes I use it under my make up. And I can tan, if I haven't used differin the night before (although it may be different for other people). It is just that I really like having a tan, I tan easily and it makes my acne less visible, so I go to a tanning salon once a week and take a short session. I am northern european, but rather "dark" or "tan" for our standards (i.e. darker than snow, haha) :) So I put Differin on for about 4 hrs in the evening, wash it off for the night (use aloe vera instead) and take a short 6 minute tanning session in the morning and no burning so far. 

I am thinking of starting using Duac again parallel to Differin and Dalacin - I think it may be good to use under my make up on the most problematic areas.

And just to vent off - I have a really angry spot on my cheek right now, I picked on it although shouldn't have. It did not pop, instead it is now a dark blood-red raw spot and swollen. And I have a dance class tomorrow with some super cute Latin American guys. So there goes my courage to create eye contact. Gonna just look at their toes. Again. What a bummer. 

Hey, just a little update!
I am fast approaching 4 months using Differin and nearly 2 months of clear skin and my dermatologist discharged me from the clinic today! She was actually asotunded how well my skin reacted to Differin, wasn't expecting such great results because not even 2 courses of Accutane cleared me! I am sooo happy to continue using Differin forever if I have to lol. I still have pretty dry skin I can't lie but I can combat that WAY easier than lots of acne. Seen the first signs of PIH reduction in the last week or so as well. I hope everyone else is having good results?
Attached a pic of me right now, I am wearing no foundatiom, concealer etc. Never thought my skin would look this good, still can't believe it!!!!

2015-10-27 10.37.57 1.jpg

You're so lucky! I havent read all 21 pages but how was your acne to begin with? like was it hormonal, food sensitivity etc? 

Also, did you have a purging period? its been 3 months and i have no improvements and heaps of scarring :(

1 person likes this

You're so lucky! I havent read all 21 pages but how was your acne to begin with? like was it hormonal, food sensitivity etc? 

Also, did you have a purging period? its been 3 months and i have no improvements and heaps of scarring :(

Honestly it wasnt as bad as its been in the past. After 2nd course of accutane I gaimed mostly comedones with occasional papules. I have no idea of my cause! Dont think it was hormonal as my period never caused too much more and food wise I completely cut out dairy but slowly introduced cheese back cause I love it lol and it hasn't caused any more acne either. Its a mystery I guess lol! Yeah all my purging happened at once and slowly tapered off. I still get the odd microscopic lump under my skin but it goes before it turns into anything bigger.
That really sucks that youre 3 months in and no improvements. Are you gonna stick with it any longer?

Honestly it wasnt as bad as its been in the past. After 2nd course of accutane I gaimed mostly comedones with occasional papules. I have no idea of my cause! Dont think it was hormonal as my period never caused too much more and food wise I completely cut out dairy but slowly introduced cheese back cause I love it lol and it hasn't caused any more acne either. Its a mystery I guess lol! Yeah all my purging happened at once and slowly tapered off. I still get the odd microscopic lump under my skin but it goes before it turns into anything bigger.
That really sucks that youre 3 months in and no improvements. Are you gonna stick with it any longer?

Nope. stopped and already see my face calming. Sticking to aloe vera to calm down the redness and damage ive already done.

I'm on my week four of using differin for my closed comedone breakout and so far things have only gotten worse.... In weeks 1-2, double the amount of cc's surfaced/appeared and now nothing is happening... so discouraged :/

Back on differin again. My face isnt as sensitive as before and im defs gonna use it only 2-3 times a week to get less side effects. Lets hope this works.