Photo

Who's Tried Vaseline/petroleum Jelly To Combat Dry Skin?

dry skin vaseline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nolz

Nolz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

I'm in week 2 of BP after a 3 month break from it (beeeeeg mistake). The BP seems to be working (well many many many my pimples seem to be healing faster), but my skin is so itchy and dry!! I look like the desert.

I don't respond well to the moisturisers I'm brave enough to try, and the rest of them I wouldn't dream of even trying.

Now I know vaseline is not really a moisturiser, it's jsut a sealant to hold in moisture. But whatever it is, or however it works, I remember it being very effective on winter induced dry patches I used to get before I got acne. It would clear up any dry patches overnight.

Now of course I've got the added concern of acne so I don't want to just slather the stuff on and then regret it a few days down the line. But I am so desperate right now!

Anyone tried Vaseline? What were the results?

#2 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Vaseline is too occlusive for acne prone skin...meaning it will make you break out. A good product that will really help with the dry skin but is not greasy is DML lotion. It is formulated for sensitive skin that is prone to acne and when acne products are being used such as BP. You must use a moisturizer when using BP. Be sure to wait after washing for at least 20 minutes before putting BP on...this will help with the dryness. Make sure you are using a very gentle cleanser as well. No need to use an acne cleanser if you are using a BP topical. Hope this helps!

#3 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I've used it a lot with no problems, I think it depends on your skin. Do a patch test! :)

#4 Nolz

Nolz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I used it for one night, woke up looking okay, in fact pretty good. But then I used it under makeup the next day and felt so greasy! I could FEEL my skin struggling to breathe! Never again! I haven't had luck finding either DML or CeraVe in the tinly little South African city I live in. *sigh*

I'm on week 3 now and the dryness is subsiding as my skin gets reaccustomed to BP. I've been using Cetaphil cleanser and mosituriser since week 2 (so like 4 days go.. LOL), and I think it's helped a lot. I think the "acne cleanser" (Garnier deep pore unclogging wash) I was using was making things worse too.

Of course I'm breaking out insanely right now after clearing up nicely in week one... but that's a story for another post.

#5 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

I used it for two weeks on certain parts of my face after I had the vbeam laser done and it didnt cause an outbreak, but that could also be the temporary effect of the laser killing all the bacteria in the area.

#6 Nolz

Nolz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Ya I hear a lot of vaseline success stories. I love it on m lips overnight, but I don't think I'm brave enough to use it daily on my entire face.

#7 ctbo

ctbo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

dont use vaseline it will clog you're pores and will make you break out.use an oil free non comedogenic moisturizer like neutrogena.like others said do a patch test first.I read doing a patch test on your neck is a good place cause your neck would break out more than your face if it clogs the pores.put the moisturizer on your neck wait 24 hours if you dont break out your good to go.or you can test it on your forehead or face if you like.

Edited by ctbo, 17 April 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#8 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

Vaseline was absolutely awful for my skin. I normally only get cysts on my chin and blackheads on my nose, but after a few days of Vaseline I had clogged pores EVERYWHERE.

I have since been using CeraVe's facial moisturizer and love it.

"Containing ceramides, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid, CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM increases the skin’s ability to attract, hold, and distribute moisture. It penetrates deep into the layers of the stratum corneum to help to replace deficient levels of key lipids that are essential for an effective skin barrier."

I buy it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000YJ2SLG

Edited by Green Gables, 02 May 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#9 overfl00d

overfl00d

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Moisterizers are only to fool you that you don't have dry skin - They're a hoax! The skin has natural properties to moisterize it on its own. Everyone using moisterizers has been duped by big company propoganda. My skin is baby soft and never dry. I don't use moisterizers and never use chap stick.

The secret is Essential Fatty Acid's (EFA's). Almost no one is getting even the minimum amount of EFA's needed for a healthy system and healthy skin. You can use a moisterizer to put some oil or wax on your skin to fool yourself, but your skin will still be dry. Some foods that naturally have EFA's are eggs, avocados, salmon, sardines.

A simple and efficient way to get your EFA's is to supplement. A lot of people use Fish oil, but that isn't the best source because it only contains Omega 3's, and your body needs Omega 3's and 6's. The best way to get your EFA's is Flaxseed Oil. Flaxseed oil contains both Omega 3's and 6's.

If you're interested, I can recommend you a extremely good product that I use that is a mix of Flaxseed oil and Borage oil that contains Omega 3's, 6's, and 9's.

Best Regards :)

#10 C25K

C25K

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I wouldn't suggest using those products, they are not very good for your skin. I have very dry skin, currently I use Egyptian Magic which has olive oil, honey and some other stuff in it. My face doesn't break out afterwards, it actually looks a little clearer. I assuming its from the honey.