Photo

Multiple Accutane Questions!

sleep diet pills face wash

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hey Guys,

I am an 18 year old male in college, and I have been on accutane for probably around a month a few weeks. I am on 60mg (30mg 2x a day) I am using Cetaphil at night only, and splashing my face with water in the AM. My face hasn't showed any major signs of improvement and is really really red and splotchy. I also am continuing to get new breakouts at almost the same rate I did before accutane.

I have multiple questions that have been in the back of my mind that I haven't had a chance to ask my derm, so I thought I'd ask them here.
  • I have always wondered, what food is accutane best taken with. I try to space my pills out exactly 12 hours a part, and often times I only take my evening pill with a cereal bar and water. Is there a food group that I should take it with, and does spacing every 12 hours make a huge impact?
  • I take a hot shower and then right after, wash my face with Cetaphil. Could this make my face worse or redder than it should be? My complexion is all messed up, and really red and spotty. I'm thinking of ditching Cetaphil for something different.
  • Does the way you sleep make a difference? I try to sleep on my back, to prevent laying on either side of my face. When I lay on my side, which is more comfortable, I fear that it causes acne.

So yeah, these are very specific questions, so if anyone has any answers or suggestions, let me know!
Thanks a lot (:

#2 thefloydfan

thefloydfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Isotretinion accumulates in your body over time. Spacing out your 60mg does will not make a difference.

My skin is too sensitive for hot water, I use lukewarm water on my face. I use cetaphil as a soap subsitute for my face, so I use it in the morning rather than just water.

I wish your pillow causes acne theory was correct, as acne wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't matter, however if you have cystic acne you could be putting pressure on them which could exasperate the problem.

For those allergic to dust mites though, I would recommend anti-bacterial/anti dust mite pillows and covers. Since a greater amount of the skin on your face is flaking off, theres is more food for the dust mites. Its actually their faeces which are prone to triggering an allergic reaction, not them themselves. A tell tale sign you are allergic to dust mites is if you sneeze 8-10 times or more upon waking up.

Edited by thefloydfan, 03 April 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#3 leopard1

leopard1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 24
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

my derm told me to take the pills w/ grease because accutane is basically vitamin A which is soluble in fat and can therefore be stored in your body unlike some other water soluble vitamins. which is why fat soluble vitamins can also reach toxic levels, which is sure thats what we are all doing w/ accuane. i usually take my pill with milk because it definitely has fat it in. if i eat a greasy meal i'll take the pill then but i usually dont eat that much "grease" i guess because its not healthy for you and i'm trying to watch my cholesterol, so it's kinda counterproductive, which is annoying but i hope milk is enough. it just says on the package to take w/ food. i wish they were more specific. hope that helps

#4 twigecheese

twigecheese

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

MY daughter has been on it 4 months and did not see any improvement ( it got worse for a while and I was wondering if she would be the one person it did not work on) until about halfway through the 3rd month. Her forehead started clearing first then the rest. Once it started clearing it went really fast. Her skin is flawless now

#5 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hey Guys,

I am an 18 year old male in college, and I have been on accutane for probably around a month a few weeks. I am on 60mg (30mg 2x a day) I am using Cetaphil at night only, and splashing my face with water in the AM. My face hasn't showed any major signs of improvement and is really really red and splotchy. I also am continuing to get new breakouts at almost the same rate I did before accutane.

I have multiple questions that have been in the back of my mind that I haven't had a chance to ask my derm, so I thought I'd ask them here.

• I have always wondered, what food is accutane best taken with. I try to space my pills out exactly 12 hours a part, and often times I only take my evening pill with a cereal bar and water. Is there a food group that I should take it with, and does spacing every 12 hours make a huge impact?
  • I take a hot shower and then right after, wash my face with Cetaphil. Could this make my face worse or redder than it should be? My complexion is all messed up, and really red and spotty. I'm thinking of ditching Cetaphil for something different.
  • Does the way you sleep make a difference? I try to sleep on my back, to prevent laying on either side of my face. When I lay on my side, which is more comfortable, I fear that it causes acne.
So yeah, these are very specific questions, so if anyone has any answers or suggestions, let me know!
Thanks a lot (:

I take my pills all at once. Splitting them up by 12 hours isn't going to make a difference. Take them at once. Its less of a hassle. Like floyd fan said they build up in your body over your entire course. Its not like the accutane will be out of your system 10 hours later so you need to keep it timed or anything. It will stay in your system for at least a month. I take mine with fish oil capsules so I am getting a healthy fat to help the pills absorb. If I have time I will eat a piece of peanut butter toast and drink a glass of milk. Hot showers will make your skin more red. The heat in the water helps bring blood closer to the skin surface. Therefore a red face. As your course goes on and your skin thins out and becomes more fragile showering with hot water might make things even worse. Try using warm water on your face. That could help alot. I use CeraVe products which I love. The Cetaphil dried my skin out something fierce and turned me red and made me oily. You can see what I use below. I don't believe sleeping any which way helps out acne. Changing your pillow case weekly is probably a good idea though. Hope this helps Posted Image

Edited by BeautifulDisasters, 03 April 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#6 Alexis Little

Alexis Little

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot (:

I can't help with the first part of your post because I stopped breaking out when I got on Accutane. I get a tiny white head here and there but no more outrageous pimples or cysts.

I have one large meal during the day and take my Accutane with that. I just try to pick foods with high fat content because the Accutane is fat soluble. I don't think a cereal bar is enough to fully absorb the Accutane and get the best results.

I plead the fifth on the shower part... I refuse to give up my hot showers. Maybe washing your face while in the shower would be less irritating. No need to use your hands to wipe the lather off if you have running water :) Another odd thing I will add, I use paper towels to pat my face after washing. Dirty towels *cringe*.

I hear sleeping on your back is better but not a lot you can do about that if you move a lot while you're sleeping. Change your case a lot is all I can say. Dirty pillow cases gross me out, especially while taking a medication that causes you to have more dead skin cells on it. I have a lot of pillow cases so I change my pillow cases a lot. Laying on the side with cysts isn't good though. I've woken up and had cysts rupture (gross) on the side I was sleeping on. I learned how to avoid that embarrassment quickly.

#7 tboy098

tboy098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I actually regret not asking some of these questions earlier.

As far as food, I have a pretty routine meal schedule here at college, so there isn't much variability. I don't usually have a breakfast, but for my lunch/brunch (at 12pm) I take my first pill with Einstein's bagels with cream cheese, and either an orange juice or a little smoothie thing. My second pill, I used to take at midnight or later with a cereal bar or hot pocket, but instead I'm now taking it now with a chicken wrap or subway, and a drink (occasionally a Starbucks Frap). So yeah, I'm not sure if that really explains much, but that is how I take my pill basically every day. I used to occasionally eat pizza, but since accutane I have cut that out completely.

In regards to hot showers/redness, that is my biggest problem. I am getting pretty clear bump wise, but it seems that anywhere that I've had a spot in the past couple months will be really red and inflamed almost. I am switching face washes and will try to tone the heat down to see what happens. I may also pick up a moisturizer. After I am out of the shower for about an hour, my face starts to improve slightly in regards to the redness. weird ish.

A few more questions-
  • Diet/Exercise/Sweat. My diet isn't the healthiest, but I wouldn't say it is the worst either. I, for some reason, fear dairy products, thinking that they will break me out. I've tried to cut out soda, excessive dairy, and other misc foods, but sometimes I wonder if it is really worth it. I wouldn't want to skimp on good foods if they have no effect. As far as exercise goes, I don't do much of it at the moment because I am pretty occupied with school.
  • Shaving. I also shy away from shaving (my face) on a more regular basis because I worry that the process could add to irruption.

So yeah, if anyone has anymore input it is greatly appreciated. Thanks to the previous input on the pill spacing I've already changed my routine and I will hopefully see better results.

Thanks a lot (:

#8 jasmonia25

jasmonia25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

has the colder showers helped? I'm curious as I get redness on my face and spots after them