Photo

Healthy Diet Causing Me To Break Out Worse

gluten candida probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 larzooma

larzooma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Well a quick background. I’ve had acne since my early teens. I’m now 28 and for the last few years it’s gone from being an all over my face problem to exclusively on my forehead. I’ve gone through periods of being reasonably clear but I usually get one or two a week. Over the past few months I’ve been getting cystic acne again, maybe one or two at a time. This hasn’t happened to me in a little over a year. I decided to take the final plunge and cut out gluten. My diet before the change was mostly whole wheat and granola with some chicken and tuna. The only really bad thing I ate every day was a muffin on my morning break. I’m also a big caffeine guy, drinking a couple of big cups of coffee and an energy drink every day, which would increase on the weekends.
My new diet over the past few weeks consists of carrots, cucumbers, green/red peppers, spinach, broccoli, chicken, a mixed bean salad (which came about the second week). I switched from drinking coffee to tea and cut out the energy drinks. To aid in my recovery from eating a lot of gluten and the antibiotics I was taking, I started taking Primal Defense Ultra Probiotic. For the first week I ate a lot of fruit but I started breaking out pretty severely. Since then my breakout went down a bit but I’m still breaking out much worse than before I started. I read a few posts where people suffering from leaky gut or other issues caused by poor eating/gluten intolerance had adverse reactions to taking Probiotics, so as of today I cut it out. Plus, I cut out tea to see if it has anything to do with it. I started taking a candida cleanse supplement about a week and a half after I started breaking out this way, so I don’t think it’s the reason. Has anyone had an initial breakout or die off when starting a new healthier diet? Could it be something I’ve switched to? I’m just dying here with this new breakout and I’m tempted to go back to my old diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TLDR: Change my diet to a gluten free diet of mostly veggies and chicken, plus probiotics, and it seems to be causing me to break out more. I’m wondering if this happened to anyone else.

#2 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hey there! Just wanted to say I had a similar reaction to taking probiotics. Personally I don't think it is what you have cut out of your diet, but what you have put into it. If you have candida or a lot of bad bacteria in your system the probiotics can cause a hex reaction because too many toxins are being eliminated at one time. From what I have read having leaky gut can also cause adverse reactions to probiotics.

For myself I had to stop taking probiotics because my breakouts were the worst of my life. I suspect I have leaky gut and candida. If you can get through the detoxing period I think they will really help you re-establish good bacteria in your stomach, but be prepared for physical and emotional reactions to come from the detox. I also eat a gluten free/sugar free diet with lot's of veggies and that has helped me a lot! Cutting out all grains seems to make a big difference for myself as well as taking coconut oil and oil of oregano for the candida.

#3 larzooma

larzooma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the response! I’m happy about the new diet and would really like to stick to it. Not considering the affect on acne, it’s really made me feel better and helped the issues I was having with my digestion, which is the reason I thought gluten may relate to my breakouts. One problem is weight loss but I’ll have to figure out something to deal with it. I’m already pretty thin and I’ve lost about 5 pounds since starting. For now I think I’m going to cut out the probiotic and continue eating veggies, beans, and chicken. If things get better than I may wait a while and try them again once I give the diet a bit of time. I’ve had many experiences with initial breakouts and it’s always tough to stick to a routine to determine if it’s working or just causing more issues. I’ve been eating a lot of carrots and I’m really hoping it’s not an issue because I love them lol.

#4 fettered2freedom

fettered2freedom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hmm this is interesting because my skin has been clearing up a little bit and I actually ran out of probiotics a few weeks ago... So, perhaps they DO make acne worse for some of us.

Assuming you're not consuming dairy? If you are eating more fruit that could make the candida thing worse which would mean more acne.

Oh and you mentioned cutting out energy drinks. Some people on here have mentioned energy drinks like Red Bull actually helped their acne, possibly due to taurine and B-Vitamins. Consider supplementing with those things if you aren't already.

#5 getpitted

getpitted

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is the best thing you could possibly do. Candida (Yeast) thrive off of junk foods, sugar, certain grains, dairy, and many other things in a typical American diet. As soon as you address this problem and introduce nutrient rich foods that don't feed the yeast such as fresh vegetables, healthy grains like quinoa, herbal teas/supplements, and essential vitamins, the yeast begins to starve and reactions occur, in your case they are in the form of breakouts through the skin. A total diet transformation along with the regimen is a perfect start to becoming acne free, knowing from experience. Vegan/vegetarian diets are the best, but fish and chicken don't feed yeast and can also be eaten on a anti-candida diet. Let me know if you have any questions

#6 SDR WellnessCoach

SDR WellnessCoach

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Without being tested for Food Allergies, it's really hard to know what is causing your Acne. I'm allergic to Wheat, Barley, Rye, Caffeine, and Legumes (so far). I know Wheat causes Acne for me, Barley inflames my Arthritis (which after 3 months is in remission) and Acid Reflux (which is all gone now), Caffeine causes my headaches, and Legumes abdominal discomfort. My point is, you probably have multible allergies and have not eliminated the Acne causing one.

#7 larzooma

larzooma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

I haven't been eating fruit and dairy hasn't been a part of my diet in over a year. It may be this is an initial reaction to changing my diet, especially in regards to a die off of candida. Its my hope its not something more serious or a long term adverse reaction to something I'm eating. A food allergy test isn't a possibility for me ATM due to a lack of health insurance. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by larzooma, 03 April 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#8 larzooma

larzooma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Just a quick update, in case it helps someone else going through a similar problem. I cut the probiotic out right around the time of my original post and it is amazing how much better my skin looks in about a week. Two or three posts I read in the past mentioned the Primal Defense probiotic by name when noticing a correlation between starting to take it daily and more breakouts, which was the kind I used. It's definitely good to know it wasn’t the diet because it’s solved so many digestive issues and I feel so much better. It may not be the case for everyone but I’m going to hold off from taking a probiotic for the time being.

#9 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Primal defense broke me out horribly. HORRIBLY.

#10 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

My theory is that if you have leaky gut going on (which you might since you mention previous digestive issues that were helped by diet) is that some of the bacteria from the probiotics, even though it is beneficial bacteria, goes through the intestinal lining of the gut into the bloodstream which causes an immune response and causes inflammation, which then creates the crazy breakouts some of us have experienced from them. I don't think it is a particular brand of probiotics, because I have heard from people just eating cultured foods and getting the same reaction.

I think the key is to heal the gut with diet (and maybe some supplements, I haven't tried any yet myself but L-glutamine is supposed to be great), use natural antifungals to also help kill of any yeast (coconut oil, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract etc.) and then once the gut and digestion are fully healed re-establish the good bacteria with probiotics. That's my plan anyway.

Stick to the diet if it is making you feel better. Listening to your body after you eat something is the best way to know if the food is helping or harming your digestion.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Sorry. somehow this ended up in the wrong thread.

Edited by alternativista, 10 April 2012 - 09:00 AM.

#12 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

The best thing you can do to heal the gut is fasting.

#13 BitterSweet098

BitterSweet098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

XX

Edited by BitterSweet098, 05 February 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#14 someonefromabove

someonefromabove

straight ahead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

Do you know demodex?

#15 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I thought I had demodex for so long and spent hundreds of dollars on these expensive chinese creams that ended up completely destroying my skin. Don't do it. I swore at the time I had every symptom of these demodex mites and none of it was legit, all of my acne problems were caused my diet or detox.

#16 someonefromabove

someonefromabove

straight ahead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

I thought I had demodex for so long and spent hundreds of dollars on these expensive chinese creams that ended up completely destroying my skin. Don't do it. I swore at the time I had every symptom of these demodex mites and none of it was legit, all of my acne problems were caused my diet or detox.

That's interesting. It's usual for humans to have demodex to a certain extent and I certainly understand that these tiny mites being a major factor in what is called acne seems like a fairy tale due to the fact that nobody talks about them in the west. They are still virtually nonexistent in average western thought, you see. Why did you just swear something? You should have tested. Studies confirm that demodex plays a major role in acne, rosacea, keratosis pilaris, seb derm, blepharitis etc. I for one got my crystal clear peachy skin back that I had back in the days before I suddenly began noticing non-explainable problems in my facial skin. Treating demodex blew everything away. Neither did antibiotics, diet, lifestyle changes -- anything one might try in the times of utter frustration.

Edited by someonefromabove, 14 April 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#17 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I swore because the websites that talked about it were very convincing. Also because I had a friend at the time who said she got rid of her acne with those creams. But they absolutely destroyed my skin, in fact, the acne got worse and worse and worse and then I got a horrible staph infection in my face which disfigured me (people on the street were staring at me in horror I looked so bad) and I ended up having to go to the hospital and get on heavy duty anti biotics which messed up the rest of my system for a long time. So yeah, I had a bad, bad experience with my attempts at treating mites. And as I went through all this it just started not making sense to me. I started thinking, aren't there little mites everywhere, on everyone?? Why would it only cause horrible skin problems in certain people?

So then I got a theory that perhaps I did have mites, and everyone did, but maybe it's something like candida... Maybe they only add to skin problems in unhealthy people because they somehow overgrow or get out of control due to the body being out of balance. Even if I did have them, I was only treating the symptom. From there on out I looked at diet and that is when I found my healing path. All of my large cystic acne was being caused by food intolerance reactions or detox.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 14 April 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#18 someonefromabove

someonefromabove

straight ahead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

I swore because the websites that talked about it were very convincing. Also because I had a friend at the time who said she got rid of her acne with those creams. But they absolutely destroyed my skin, in fact, the acne got worse and worse and worse and then I got a horrible staph infection in my face which disfigured me (people on the street were staring at me in horror I looked so bad) and I ended up having to go to the hospital and get on heavy duty anti biotics which messed up the rest of my system for a long time. So yeah, I had a bad, bad experience with my attempts at treating mites. And as I went through all this it just started not making sense to me. I started thinking, aren't there little mites everywhere, on everyone?? Why would it only cause horrible skin problems in certain people?

So then I got a theory that perhaps I did have mites, and everyone did, but maybe it's something like candida... Maybe they only add to skin problems in unhealthy people because they somehow overgrow or get out of control due to the body being out of balance. Even if I did have them, I was only treating the symptom. From there on out I looked at diet and that is when I found my healing path. All of my large cystic acne was being caused by food intolerance reactions or detox.

I'm glad to hear that you sorted it all out through diet. It is very likely that you have and had demodex mites as most people have them, healthy or unhealthy alike. They are normal part of the human skin flora. Under certain circumstances they can overpopulate and cause skin issues. You can research on pubmed to get a scientific confirmation of this, it's all researched. That's really a pity that these creams you are talking about destroyed your skin so much. You should really have tested before just treating, but that doesn't matter anymore now, as that struggle is over for you. I feel for what you had to go through. However, scientific papers have proven outstanding success rate in curing rosacea, acne and related skin issues. I myself am one of the successes. I always had what most people would call perfect skin, then suddenly it started to become bad over a period of 2 years, then I found the right treatment and I have back my skin. Nowadays I can't even believe that I thought my diet or anything I was doing wrong caused my face condition, because I really didn't do anything else than before. I ate the same, I did the same sports (I'm an athlete) etc. -- I tried antibiotics, all kinds of diets, fasting - you name it, I tried it. Nothing did anything to me as compared to getting rid of the demodex infestation. I'm so thankful to have found out about this on the internet myself, as looking back dermatologists just told me crap and truly made me feel bad, while not being able to fix my issues.

Edited by someonefromabove, 14 April 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#19 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

So do you just have to stay on the medication for them so they don't come back then? If you didn't change anything internally what is stopping them from overpopulating again?

#20 someonefromabove

someonefromabove

straight ahead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

No, I don't. I treated them for about 2 months, even though symptoms disappeared entirely rather quickly and never came back. Demodex don't just overpopulate out of the blue, they do so when they have the possibility to, usually when the skin is weakened for whatever reason. It might be due to things one applies to the face, rounds of antibiotics, sleeping with makeup etc. -- There are so many possibilities. For some people maintenance application of the particular remedy might be required every now and then, but it hasn't for me. I can feel how my skin is back to what my body intends it to be like. I always felt that something was wrong back in the days when I had the problems (hands down the most challenging time in my life yet), but I couldn't figure it out. I actually thought it was what I was doing, what I was eating etc. -- I can tell you it made me feel so frustrated and just wrong with myself.