Photo

Documentary On Genetically Modified Foods (They're Deadly & We Eat Em)

141 replies to this topic

#121 linnn

linnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Your remarks are, as always, completely invalid because GM products to not increase the amount of food available to starving children in underdeveloped countries or anywhere else.

Thanks for that. Anyways, Bill Gates has pledged and donated more than 120 million to GM foods and their research. So yes, his donation alone will increase the production of GM foods.

Even if you don't believe that GM foods offer increased output at a lower cost, (Which is just nonsense, by the way) you will appreciate that his donations to third world countries will continue to make GM the most viable solution to saving the lives of MILLIONS in the next decade or so.

Honestly, how can you people sacrifice everything to further your agenda, even the lives of children.... makes me sick.

Bill Gates: a man with some common sense
:
“I think the right way to think about GMOs is the same way we think about drugs,” Gates told the AP. “Whenever someone creates a new drug, you have to have very smart people looking at lots of trial-based data to make sure the benefits far outweigh any of the dangers.”

HEY!! Its not drugs!!! its the worlds food supply. Genetically modified crops are invasive to neighboring organic gardens. The pollen itself is a pollen that would absolutely never occur in nature, the genes are forced together with a gun using viruses and bacteria to invade the organisms natural barrier against foreign genes. When the farmers seed gets contaminated by GM pollen, they are forced to buy seed over again to stay organic. This type of breeding is NOTHING like what humans have been doing for ages. YES people should not be hungry, so feed the hungry. take it to the starving. Its extravagantly irresponsible to let this go unchecked, to force all consumers in america to eat food that isn't even real; to treat us like straight up lab rats for practically the biggest scientific experiment in human history. 

#122 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Your remarks are, as always, completely invalid because GM products to not increase the amount of food available to starving children in underdeveloped countries or anywhere else.

Thanks for that. Anyways, Bill Gates has pledged and donated more than 120 million to GM foods and their research. So yes, his donation alone will increase the production of GM foods.

Even if you don't believe that GM foods offer increased output at a lower cost, (Which is just nonsense, by the way) you will appreciate that his donations to third world countries will continue to make GM the most viable solution to saving the lives of MILLIONS in the next decade or so.

Honestly, how can you people sacrifice everything to further your agenda, even the lives of children.... makes me sick.

:
“I think the right way to think about GMOs is the same way we think about drugs,” Gates told the AP. “Whenever someone creates a new drug, you have to have very smart people looking at lots of trial-based data to make sure the benefits far outweigh any of the dangers.”

HEY!! Its not drugs!!! its the worlds food supply. Genetically modified crops are invasive to neighboring organic gardens. The pollen itself is a pollen that would absolutely never occur in nature, the genes are forced together with a gun using viruses and bacteria to invade the organisms natural barrier against foreign genes. When the farmers seed gets contaminated by GM pollen, they are forced to buy seed over again to stay organic. This type of breeding is NOTHING like what humans have been doing for ages. YES people should not be hungry, so feed the hungry. take it to the starving. Its extravagantly irresponsible to let this go unchecked, to force all consumers in america to eat food that isn't even real; to treat us like straight up lab rats for practically the biggest scientific experiment in human history. 

The theory behind GMOs is sound. Computers and cell phones are completely unnatural and yet I bet dollars to doughnuts you own and greatly utilize both of those "unnatural" creations. You  wouldn't be able to interact with us if you didn't.

Are useless and potentially harmful GMO variants being used in terrible ways to monopolize the agricultural industry? The answer to that is an obvious yes.

Can the theory behind GMOs be utilized to engineer foods that have enormous benefits for humankind. The answer to that is also yes.

Will it happen? In the near future, probably not. But GMOs themselves are not the evil here. It's the corporations who care less for the properties of the plant, than they do of the ability to patent it's genome and monopolize it for profit.

#123 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

:

The theory behind GMOs is sound. Computers and cell phones are completely unnatural and yet I bet dollars to doughnuts you own and greatly utilize both of those "unnatural" creations. You  wouldn't be able to interact with us if you didn't.

Are useless and potentially harmful GMO variants being used in terrible ways to monopolize the agricultural industry? The answer to that is an obvious yes.

Can the theory behind GMOs be utilized to engineer foods that have enormous benefits for humankind. The answer to that is also yes.

Will it happen? In the near future, probably not. But GMOs themselves are not the evil here. It's the corporations who care less for the properties of the plant, than they do of the ability to patent it's genome and monopolize it for profit.

The cell phone comment is just asinine..But for the rest--Obviously.  You do a lot of this stating the obvious and acting like it's an argument.  

Our problem is of course with the big corporations, their business practices and the kind of genetic modification that they are doing.  Which do not result in feeding more people, using less water, or produce more nutritious foods. 

And those business practices include infiltrating our government, gaining a monopoly on seeds so they can control the entire world's food supply, buying up organizations that might discredit them such as the people doing the bee research, bullying and bankrupting small farmers everywhere, and don't forget that they have a just plain bad product that should not be utilized, period   The list goes on and on

See the next post of examples of the right ways to feed the hungry.

Edited by alternativista, 01 October 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#124 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Here are examples of better ways to feed hungry children:

http://www.sendacow.org.uk/lessonsfromafrica/resources/african-gardens-gallery  - Self feeding, minimal water and labor required vegetable gardens.  No gmo'd anything required.

And this is how you grow more grain, ordinary grain seed. That you can save from year to year rather than go increasingly into debt on expensive seed, chemicals and royalties.  http://sri.ciifad.cornell.edu/   Intensive system for growing rice that increases yields and doesn't involve flooding fields. The techniques have been ported to other grain & legume crops.

The benefits of SRI have been demonstrated in over 50 countries (see map). They include: 20%-100% or more increased yields, up to a 90% reduction in required seed, and up to 50% water savings. For additional information, visit the Africare/Oxfam/WWF report, More Rice for People. SRI principles and practices have been adapted for rainfed rice as well as for other crops (such as wheat, sugarcane and teff, among others), with yield increases and associated economic benefits.

The problem with world hunger is not about shortages of food, but lack of access to food.  And large corporations are a big part of the problem with their land & water grabbing to grow giant tracks of mono cultured crops for export.  http://www.oxfamamer..._campaign=eNews

Don't buy what they are selling.  The easiest way to avoid gm crops, is to grow yourself and buy from small local farmers.  You can volunteer if you can't afford it.  I get more fresh, just picked local produce than I can eat for just a couple of hours of labor.  So much in fact that I hardly pick the greens I grow in my own garden.

Permaculture is the answer.  Working with nature. Not fighting it.  You won't win. 

Edited by alternativista, 01 October 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#125 linnn

linnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

:

CAN people please stop comparing life giving food to things that we don't even need and have the choice not to buy. Yeah cell phones are obviously not natural. Yes i use technology, But you cannot compare food to cellphones and modern gadgets because they are not vital to life in the way food is. The food that has gotten us to where we are now is threatened because of genetic engineering. I am surprised you would call this technology sound, modern science as we know it does not fully understand DNA. In no way is it sound to tinker with something so vital like DNA and possibly contaminate the worlds food supply, and make millions sick, and poor. If this was really about doing good, being "sound", and feeding the starving then these gardens and animals would only be found where they are needed, there would be areas where GM crops can be grown and cannot because the genes take over organic crops and become monsanto's patent. The new seed that becomes GM such as a tomato, is not just a tomato because it has animal genes. The genes are not connected more precisely like they want you to think, the gene combination is brought together by viruses, bacteria and other agents because of how invasive they are to the cell. People have the right to know that there food has these things in it and really should know all about it because of how potentially damaging these foods can be to the body. 

"Can the theory behind GMOs be utilized to engineer foods that have enormous benefits for humankind. The answer to that is also yes."

You may be talking about adding more nutrition to the food using genetic engineering? This doesn't help settle anything for me, the way the genetic info is combined is what makes it dangerous. Adding more nutrition just sort of covers things up, I just don't buy it.

Edited by linnn, 01 October 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#126 linnn

linnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Secular scientists believe that the vast information in DNA somehow formed from matter out of nowhere to simple chemicals on its own, from primordial chemical soup to complicated cell and then to such diversity and complexity, including unique human beings. Just given enough time of course!

We humans don't even fully understand DNA though , no scientist can create a cell in a lab with the right chemicals assuming they know what they are! nor have we seen any life spawn from chemical slime and than change into wholly different species over time. To them cousins of apes are somehow smarter than "natural selection" and nature itself and should begin taking over, it doesn't make sense. 

Edited by linnn, 01 October 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#127 Gladiatoro

Gladiatoro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Herbalism , data research , RC airplanes , skiing , movies , AC/DC , UFC and my custom Mustang GT.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

It seems the old communists are not that dumb after all.

http://www.naturalne...fied_crops.html

#128 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

You tell him Hannah.

The nine-year-old read a prewritten statement criticizing the fast-food chain’s nutritional deficiencies and marketing tactics. She asked, “Mr. Thompson, don’t you want kids to be healthy so they can live a long and happy life?”

CEO Don Thompson responded by denying the allegations, saying, “First off, we don’t sell junk food, Hannah,” he said. “My kids also eat McDonald’s. When they were about your size, to my son who is with us today...”

http://www.takepart....mpid=foodinc-fb

Also...

This is pretty F---ed up right here

U.S. Department of Agriculture Guts National Organic Law; Circumvents Public Process

http://consumersunio...al-organic-law/

#129 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Continued...

“USDA Organic” is simply a marketing term those who take government ethics at face value. The goal has always been to increase agricultural sales, not promote organic farming. The public seems to confide in this label through sheer ignorance. The National Organic Program (NOP) which governs the “USDA Organic” label has no interest in organic farming, improving soil, quality of the produce, or factors that pollute the environment."

http://www.altering-...trust-usda.html

#130 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Continued...

“USDA Organic” is simply a marketing term those who take government ethics at face value. The goal has always been to increase agricultural sales, not promote organic farming. The public seems to confide in this label through sheer ignorance. The National Organic Program (NOP) which governs the “USDA Organic” label has no interest in organic farming, improving soil, quality of the produce, or factors that pollute the environment."

As you can see, GMO is not really the issue.  Big food and big chemical companies are the issue. 

Avoid it all by growing what you can and buying from small local farms.  They don't need to be certified organic (which is expensive and BS anyway as you can see from the above article).  Look for those that follow sustainable practices. 

#131 linnn

linnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Continued...

As you can see, GMO is not really the issue.  Big food and big chemical companies are the issue. 

Avoid it all by growing what you can and buying from small local farms.  They don't need to be certified organic (which is expensive and BS anyway as you can see from the above article).  Look for those that follow sustainable practices. 

Would this be for certified organic? 

#132 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Continued...

Would this be for certified organic? 

I don't understand the question

#133 linnn

linnn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sorry, I meant to ask if this applied to everything that was certified organic. I found the info i was looking for, apparently it only has to be 95% organic to be  USDA certified organic, anything labeled 100% organic must be 100%, and The United States government does not allow companies to label products “100% / Certified Organic” if they contain GMO's.

#134 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Sorry, I meant to ask if this applied to everything that was certified organic. I found the info i was looking for, apparently it only has to be 95% organic to be  USDA certified organic, anything labeled 100% organic must be 100%, and The United States government does not allow companies to label products “100% / Certified Organic” if they contain GMO's.[/size]

The USDA's certification is B.S.   So, let me just repeat what I said earlier. 

Avoid it all by growing what you can and buying from small local farms.  They don't need to be certified organic (which is expensive and BS anyway as you can see from the above article).  Look for growers that follow sustainable practices.

Edited by alternativista, 10 October 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#135 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

This seems good

"An October 10 press release with Mexico City byline announces the banning of genetically-engineered corn in Mexico. According to the group that issued the press release, La Coperacha, a federal judge has ordered Mexico’s SAGARPA (Secretaría de Agricultura, Ganadería, Desarrollo Rural, Pesca, y Alimentación), which is Mexico’s Secretary of Agriculture, and SEMARNAT (Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales), which is equivalent of the EPA, to immediately “suspend all activities involving the planting of transgenic corn in the country and end the granting of permission for experimental and pilot commercial plantings”.

http://ejfood.blogsp...genic-corn.html

#136 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

"On Nov. 5, citizens in Washington State will vote on whether to require mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods, also known as genetically modified organisms or GMOs. Win or lose, The Washington Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act is driving the national push on GMO labeling in states around the country as well as at the federal level -- just as the narrowly defeated Prop 37 in California did last year."

http://www.huffingto...=green&ir=Green

Edited by onefatalgoose, 04 November 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#137 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

This seems good

"An October 10 press release with Mexico City byline announces the banning of genetically-engineered corn in Mexico. According to the group that issued the press release, La Coperacha, a federal judge has ordered Mexico’s SAGARPA (Secretaría de Agricultura, Ganadería, Desarrollo Rural, Pesca, y Alimentación), which is Mexico’s Secretary of Agriculture, and SEMARNAT (Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales), which is equivalent of the EPA, to immediately “suspend all activities involving the planting of transgenic corn in the country and end the granting of permission for experimental and pilot commercial plantings”.

http://ejfood.blogsp...genic-corn.html

When did they start growing GM corn there? They didn't when 'the world according to monsant' was filmed.

#138 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

"Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi ended weeks of speculation on Thursday by signing into law the controversial genetically modified organisms prohibition bill that was passed by the Hawaii County Council."

http://www.bigisland...l-113-into-law/

#139 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

"Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi ended weeks of speculation on Thursday by signing into law the controversial genetically modified organisms prohibition bill that was passed by the Hawaii County Council."

http://www.bigisland...l-113-into-law/

Yeah, there's been quite a bit of good news on the GM front.

#140 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

GMO's on Fox News

http://naturalsociet...l-safety-issue/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users