Photo

Accutane Log

accutane log

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew0523

Andrew0523

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Okay well I just made an account on here to share my experience as I progress on Accutane. I realize there are hundreds of these logs, so I am doing this as a benefit to me since many people seem to have taken it already. I would appreciate any tips now, or if you decide to follow at any point. I would really appreciate it.

Anyways, I guess I am supposed to put a little bit about me. I am 17 year old male (going on 18 in 2 months). My acne started in seventh grade, and it hit hard. I went from perfect skin to cysts starting to form all over. I told my mom about it, and she immediately took me to the derm.This is where I get a little upset. All this doctor prescribed me was a prescription BP wash, and obviously things just got worse from there. I think if he would've took a more aggressive approach from the start, I wouldn't be in this situation now. From there, he continued to prescribe me wash after wash. I had to try at least six different ones...I was left with no results and a lot of wasted time.

I switched derms, and have been with my current one for two years...and she is absolutely awesome. She discussed with me my options the first time I came in...she basically said I could go on accutane or try to treat it with an antibiotic / topical combo. The first thing I did when I came home was google accutane, which was an awful idea. Unfortunately all that came up were the horror stories, so i took the antibiotic route.

My routine for the three years has been a low dose antibiotic (I have cycled through ampicillin, minocycline, and bactrim) as well as retin a and sumaxin wash. My face stayed relatively clear (except for blackheads ALL over my nose, but those aren't really that noticeable). A zit would pop up every two days or so, but were often small and would go away quickly. The problem was my back and shoulders. They are absolutely terrible, but I could hide it with a shirt so it wasn't a big deal. However, it has started to spread down my arms onto my bicep (which I didn't know was possible) and that really irritated me. This is when I took a second look at accutane, and decided to go on it.

Day 3

So I am currently on day 3 of Claravis. Derm started me out on 20 mg a day for the first two weeks and then I am to go up to 40 mg. Not sure if she plans on raising it from there...I am 163 pounds so I am guessing she will. She recommended CeraVe as a moisturizer, aquaphor for lips, and neosporin / polysporin for inside nose to avoid infections (don't think too many people do that, but I will take her advice).

So far, I do not feel any different as expected. However, I am breaking out a lot. I am not sure if it is from being off the antibiotic for a week and a half now, or from the accutane...but I went from my face being perfectly clear to five new bumps. There are also bumps all over my forehead, and on my scalp. I can't remember the last time I broke out here. My back, arms, and shoulders have new bumps as well, but that is nothing new.

Well thanks for reading if you did. Sorry if it was a little long. Will try to check in every few days. I will see if I can figure out a way to get pictures up, my wonderful dell webcam has absolutely terrible quality...it wasn't really showing the marks.

Edited by Andrew0523, 01 April 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#2 evertonyo

evertonyo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

All I will say is that I wish you absolutely the best of luck, I will follow your posts, hope all goes well.

#3 Krov

Krov

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Good luck man, I'm on my third day too at 40 mg. I'll follow your log to keep up with your progress. If you have the time you should check out mine.

#4 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Day 3

So I am currently on day 3 of Claravis. Derm started me out on 20 mg a day for the first two weeks and then I am to go up to 40 mg. Not sure if she plans on raising it from there...I am 163 pounds so I am guessing she will. She recommended CeraVe as a moisturizer, aquaphor for lips, and neosporin / polysporin for inside nose to avoid infections (don't think too many people do that, but I will take her advice).

So far, I do not feel any different as expected. However, I am breaking out a lot. I am not sure if it is from being off the antibiotic for a week and a half now, or from the accutane...but I went from my face being perfectly clear to five new bumps. There are also bumps all over my forehead, and on my scalp. I can't remember the last time I broke out here. My back, arms, and shoulders have new bumps as well, but that is nothing new.

Well thanks for reading if you did. Sorry if it was a little long. Will try to check in every few days. I will see if I can figure out a way to get pictures up, my wonderful dell webcam has absolutely terrible quality...it wasn't really showing the marks.

I am sure the break out is from both the stopping of the antibiotic and from the Accutane. I started on the 13th of March and I started breaking out around day 4 or 5 as well. I started out on 40 MG and will be going up to 60 MG in a couple of weeks. She said 80 MG if I am handling the 60 well. I am 5'9 and 150 pounds female. I hope I can move up to the 80, the higher the MG the shorter your course. I don't want to spend my entire summer avoiding the sun. I practically live outside in the summer. Fishing and swimming and tubing and water parks. Im going to have a hard time with that. I probably won't avoid it at all actually. I will just use a high SPF and will reapply and hope for the best. See how that goes Posted Image.

Sounds like your dermatologist recommended the correct products for you to use while taking the medicine. I use CeraVe AM in the morning it has a 30 SPF in it which is helpful. Since CeraVe products are non comedogenic you won't break out from the sunscreen. If i were to use a sunscreen on my face I would look terrible the next day due to a breakout. At night I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. It is a lot thicker and once your face starts to dry out and flake you will need something heavy for at night. I love the CeraVe products. I never feel oily or breakout from them. I was using Cetaphil at one point while taking other antibiotics for my acne and I broke out and my face was shiny all day long from that line of products.

I am using Aquaphor Lip repair for my lips and I wish it worked better. My lips are peeling and getting chapped regardless of how often I reapply that stuff. I was hoping if I started moisturizing early that I could stay ahead of the chapped lips problem. Rather than tackle it once it started you know. That didn't work for me, and I use this stuff like I use air to breathe. I use the regular old Aquaphor to put in my nose to prevent cracks and bloody noses. That seems to be working out good anyways.

Good luck with our course. I look forward to seeing your updates!! Feel free to ask me any questions if you need help or anything Posted Image

#5 Andrew0523

Andrew0523

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

All I will say is that I wish you absolutely the best of luck, I will follow your posts, hope all goes well.

Thanks...I appreciate it.

Good luck man, I'm on my third day too at 40 mg. I'll follow your log to keep up with your progress. If you have the time you should check out mine.

Thanks...I will be sure to check in.

#6 Andrew0523

Andrew0523

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I am sure the break out is from both the stopping of the antibiotic and from the Accutane. I started on the 13th of March and I started breaking out around day 4 or 5 as well. I started out on 40 MG and will be going up to 60 MG in a couple of weeks. She said 80 MG if I am handling the 60 well. I am 5'9 and 150 pounds female. I hope I can move up to the 80, the higher the MG the shorter your course. I don't want to spend my entire summer avoiding the sun. I practically live outside in the summer. Fishing and swimming and tubing and water parks. Im going to have a hard time with that. I probably won't avoid it at all actually. I will just use a high SPF and will reapply and hope for the best. See how that goes Posted Image.

Sounds like your dermatologist recommended the correct products for you to use while taking the medicine. I use CeraVe AM in the morning it has a 30 SPF in it which is helpful. Since CeraVe products are non comedogenic you won't break out from the sunscreen. If i were to use a sunscreen on my face I would look terrible the next day due to a breakout. At night I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. It is a lot thicker and once your face starts to dry out and flake you will need something heavy for at night. I love the CeraVe products. I never feel oily or breakout from them. I was using Cetaphil at one point while taking other antibiotics for my acne and I broke out and my face was shiny all day long from that line of products.

I am using Aquaphor Lip repair for my lips and I wish it worked better. My lips are peeling and getting chapped regardless of how often I reapply that stuff. I was hoping if I started moisturizing early that I could stay ahead of the chapped lips problem. Rather than tackle it once it started you know. That didn't work for me, and I use this stuff like I use air to breathe. I use the regular old Aquaphor to put in my nose to prevent cracks and bloody noses. That seems to be working out good anyways.

Good luck with our course. I look forward to seeing your updates!! Feel free to ask me any questions if you need help or anything Posted Image

Good to know I have most of the right stuff. I will be sure to pick up CeraVe AM...the sun is a major concern of mine as well with summer right around the corner. I have a two week vacation at the beach in a few months...can't wait to see how that goes. I really have never gotten sunburn. I naturally have olive skin and tan really easily, but I guess when you are on this stuff it is a different story.

Thanks for the post...I am sure I will have questions at some point. Hope you are able to get up to 80mg!

#7 Andrew0523

Andrew0523

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Day 6

Well, day 6 already. Have only really had one or two bumps pop up since my last post...which is kind of surprising. I hope my initial breakout is over, but I would think it would last longer than a day or two. Maybe I am just getting lucky.

My skin (especially my face) feels ridiculously oily. I read that this can happen to some people when you first start. I haven't even been using moisturizer, it just feels gross going on. Hope this goes away soon...I would much rather my skin super dry than this.

#8 Andrew0523

Andrew0523

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Day 10

So couple more whiteheads over the past few days...nothing too serious. Im actually lying in bed now typing this up on my phone. About 20 minutes ago a ringing started in my ears so now I am all freaked out. It sounds like when you get a hearing test kinda. I've gotten this before, but generally it only lasted a couple of seconds. I honestly can't tell if it had continued or if it is in my head at this point.

Should I be concerned about this? Of course the doctors office is going to be closed the next two days.