Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smil

bleach(?) spots

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what ingredient in acne medications causes bleaching of clothes, towels, pillows etc..... It is a nightmare as I am ruining all my stuff- but I can't seem to pinpoint what is doing it.

:lol: Benzyl Peroxide, the active ingredient in Proactive Solution and many over the counter acne medication will bleach clothing, pillowcases, etc upon contact.

:) www.acnelamp.com

That was the main downside to using Benzoyl Peroxide for me. Pillow cases, towels, shirt collars, jacket collars, etc. It wasn't worth the trouble or expense of ruined items. Sometimes, you won't even know you've ruined a clothing article until after you've washed it. The water activates any BP that might have come in contact with your clothes. Take your clothes out of the dryer and...tada...bleach spots! If you still want to use BP, I suggest using it in the form of a facial wash. That way, you can rinse the BP residue off thoroughly enough so that it should not do any damage. A BP facial wash will still work well to kill off the acne causing bacteria.