I'm a 28 yr old female and have had acne since I was 11, and the past few years it has been more cystic/jawline hormonal, with many clogged pores in my chin and around my cheeks. Now that I'm older, red marks take FOREVER to fade, and on the left side of my face I have a bunch of clogged pores around my temple (in pic it's pretty clear ((er, not clear but, clear to see how clogged it is)) - not something you'd notice except in the light - and not something that is bad but it annoys the heck outta me). I have this one cyst on my chin that has graced me with its horrid, ridiculously huge presence for no shorter than 6 weeks. And a scar from it's brother who only recently receded - hopefully, to never ever return again. But for those of you with cystic acne, you know how it is... out of nowhere, an old scar can continually re-emerge, re-recreating crappy chaos in it's ever evolving wake. FML.
Like many of you on here, I've tried EVERYTHING: Accutane (5x!) / Retin A / Retin-A micro / Antibiotics (many diff kinds, oh joy) / Tazorac / Facials / Peels / Extractions / Micro Derm / AHA / BHA / Glycolics / Topical Antibiotics...ETC (grrrrrr).
Oh, and, diet - eliminated dairy, wheat... Sugar is a tough one for me, but I've tried to reduce it. For awhile I was excusing greek yogurt from the dairy category - somewhere I had read that the probiotic bacteria 'eat' the lactose and so therefore yogurt wasn't necessarily 'actually' dairy.... As of the past week, I've decided to get very strict on the no dairy (meaning NO yogurt, no drop of cream or milk in coffee, no nada) and I have seen a little bit more improvement. Instead of having, say, 5 active pimples, I'm down to maybe 2 or 3.
My acne seems hormonally related: Birth control made me crazy(er) and so after 7 years on it, and mostly clear(ish) skin, I went off. I honestly can't remember how much worse this made my skin, and I'd rather not use BCPs to control it - however, I DO take 50mg spironolactone 1x/day and while this seemed to work pretty well, I still don't have that perfectly clear skin I am after and I wonder if it works at all anymore. Hoping diet, exercise and strict faithful application of DKR will get me there, so that I can taper off the spiro and say hello to my nice clear face.
Supplements I've been using anyways:
- Good n Natural: Zinc for Acne (has A,C,E,B-6 also) 1 pill 2x/day
- GNC: Triple Strength Fish Oil + Vitamin D-3 2 or 3 pills a day
- KAL Pantothenic Acid 1000mg down to 1-3 pills per day after mega dosing for a month - this DEFINITELY helped dry out my oily skin, but I still have hormonal breakouts
- One A Day, Teen Advantage when I remember
- Emergen-C vitamin C packet
- Green smoothies work wonders for skin!!!! Include in diet 3-7x per week + Green Vibrance powder
- NO WHEAT, NO DAIRY (when I cheat, which I do, I'll let ya'll know how it effects skin)
- Very limited sugar
- Organic veggies, fruits, fish, nuts, oils... some grass fed beef on my moon, very rarely I'll have chicken
TODAY = DAY 5 on DKR, faithful morning/evening application exactly as outlined in videos on here. Yesterday the dryness was way too much so I have just moisturized this morning. So far, so good - I am noticing no new acne, but the acne I do get has been quick to dry yet slow to heal...
- 1 giant old relentless cyst (who teases me each morning pretending to be more flattened out and then rages throughout the day and is like, huge before bed, maybe I should call it 'Walter' - ugh, I haaate Walter).
- One big pimple on my neck (neck acne is a new thing I am blessed with)
- Same amount of clogged pores scattered throughout - too many to count, in fact.
- And a few small scattered small red pimples that I attacked last night. MUST NOT PICK ANYMORE.
My skin is doing OK - not great - but it's improved quite a bit in just a few days by tightening up my diet, drinking loads of green smoothies. Hopefully it will keep moving in that direction. I considered not putting my whole face on here, but you know what, I don't give a damn anymore. SO here I am, world: acne and all.
SO: DKR + Diet + Exercise + Supplement + Happy thoughts + Meditation + No Picking + Some Sun = fingers crossed: clear skin.
......MUCH LOVE TO YOU ALL ON YOUR JOURNEY'S AND MISSIONS.... Let's beat this thing and then help get everyone else in the world clear through diet and love and topicals and exercise. A multi-pronged approach hopefully works!