caveman cavemen regimen caveman regimen no water water green tea makeup

6 replies to this topic

#1 notwashington

notwashington

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for well over 6 months now and finally decided to post.

Starting off, I've tried just about everything since the age of 13 when I first started breaking out:
-ortho tricyclin
-numerous antibiotics
-some other acne pills I forgot the names of
-tons of topicals including: epiduo, retin a, clyndamycin, adapalene, tretinoin (for chest + back), etc
-proactiv, neutrogena, oxy, basically anything you can find in the store that claims to "work"

After realizing the harsh stuff didn't work, I just started using gentle cleansers + the topicals provided by my dermatologists.
So far, I've had 3 dermatologists and all of them have basically been prescribing me the same things with different names and different amounts over and over and over, and even though I tell them it hasn't work, they've told me to keep trying.

So I did. And, of course, it didn't work.

I've decided to give up. After looking at YAZ, Accutane, different topicals, I've come to the conclusion that to pros outweigh the cons.
I eat healthy, so it's not my diet, going on birth control made my acne worse, so it could be slightly hormonal even though I've become rather regular over the past few years. Lurking has lead to me to decide to go with the no-water approach. If this doesn't work, I'm headed back to the derm to load up on some Accutane and different birth controls.

On a side note, my brother went on accutane for his large cysts. Acne is definitely in our genetics, but mine is different from his. He's now a year off of accutane and is starting to break out in large cysts again. It could also be his awful college-kid diet, though.

tl;dr: NO WATER + CLEANSERS STUFF BECAUSE NOTHING'S WORKED. YEAH.

As of 3/29/12 I'm on around week 2 or 3 of no water, I haven't been keeping track all that long. My initial breakout was awful. There were medium-sized cysts and a lot of small, inflamed zits all over my face. However, now all the cysts are gone and I'm left with the small red zits and a lot of skin-colored tiny zits. As for my chest and back, all the large cysts are gone. Yay! I've been drinking green tea (about 3 cups) a day as well. It's definitely made me feel much healthier.

Overall my complexion is looking a lot nicer. It's all one uniform color except for the inflamed acne. I've also noticed that the acne is predominantly on one side of my face. I can't tell if that's the side I sleep on or the one I don't since I roll around a lot at night. I read a few years back a post about someone who put a towel on their pillow each night so they don't get all the yucky face junk on them at night. I've been doing that since I've started and I can't tell you if it's been doing more harm than help.

April 20th, 2012.
I wanted to share a few things I've noticed/learned/experienced throughout this process. I am well over a month without washing my face, and no, I am not 100% clear, but these are my observations, you can disagree or agree, but this is just what I have experienced.

1. Acne is caused by lots of things, which is obvious, I feel.
2. Acne on different areas of your body can be caused by different things.
- It seems that my back acne is caused mostly by either hormones or eating too many sweets.
- Chest and face acne are pretty much the same, caused by makeup use, stress, and too much washing/too little sun
3. THE SUN IS SO GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN, AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
- I was literally a shut-in for around a year or so, and this was probably the peak of my acne outbreaks. I've been going outside for about two weeks now and my skin is clearing up like crazy. Just don't stay out for too long without protection or you'll get burnt. Sunscreen has never seemed to make me break out.
4. I am also including surf with the sun.
- Now, I can't exactly tell if it's because of I'm around the point where my skin is now clearing up, or if it's the ocean, but I think it's the ocean. Yes, my skin IS clearing up now, but going swimming in the ocean all this week has really made my skin so nice. Which reminds me, I've never seen a surfer with tons of acne.
- I suggest if you're near an ocean go have fun and play in the water. If you're not, then I guess this doesn't really apply to you. ;(
5. Acne breakouts go in cycles.
- By that, I mean, that I've noticed my face has developed a breakout pattern. It starts at my forehead, and works my way around my face. It goes down my temple, onto my cheeks, now into my lower jaw, over the nose, onto the other cheek, onto the other temple, and back up the forehead. Then I get little breakouts around my nose rather than on the bridge and a little on my chin and eyebrow area.
6. Eating bad food will not make you breakout as long as it's in a. moderation and b. consistent.
- Of course if you eat a whole bag of candy you'll get sick and breakout, but eating a few pieces here and there seems a-okay to me. But, if you eat healthy 100% of the time then decide after a few years of eating very very healthy to munch down on a juicy burger, you will probably breakout if you're acne-prone. But, if you eat a burger once a month or so, while still eating averagely healthy rather than extremely healthy, your body will be okay with it and it won't slow it down any. It's fine to indulge yourself sometimes! Of course, eating unhealthy food all the time will probably lead to breakouts.
7. Working out, I feel like that's pretty self-explanatory.

Edited by notwashington, 20 April 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#2 thatfeelwhen

thatfeelwhen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

One slight query, how do you make the green tea if you aren't supposed to be drinking water?

#3 ShAdOw7935

ShAdOw7935

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

I think it means don't put water ON your face, you should still be drinking it...lots of it! It's what hydrates your skin from the inside. When it's used ON your face, it will evaporate and suck even more moisture out from your skin along with it. That's why lots of people have been trying the no water regimen. but they are still drinking it :)

I have found that water can be beneficial if I use a moisturizer immediately afterward. That helps lock in the moisture, and prevents it from evaporating and drying out the skin.

How old are you? I'm a 24 year old female and I've struggled with pimples for a long time. The latest thing I've been trying (wash with a gentle cleanser at night and moisturize, and also NO PICKING!) has been working so well for me. I've found that less is more, and I need to be SO gentle with my skin. You should read my posts in the "not washing my face for a month" thread :)

I hope to see something work for you!

Edited by ShAdOw7935, 30 March 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#4 notwashington

notwashington

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

One slight query, how do you make the green tea if you aren't supposed to be drinking water?

As Shadow said, I'm still DRINKING water, just not putting it on my skin.

How old are you? I'm a 24 year old female and I've struggled with pimples for a long time. The latest thing I've been trying (wash with a gentle cleanser at night and moisturize, and also NO PICKING!) has been working so well for me. I've found that less is more, and I need to be SO gentle with my skin. You should read my posts in the "not washing my face for a month" thread Posted Image

I hope to see something work for you!

Thanks! I'm 17 and have been plagued with this menace since puberty, which is why it still might be hormonal. Hopefully it will go away later in life, but even my parents still get it sometimes. I hope your cleanser works for you. I tried that for awhile and it still didn't seem t help. And I will!

UPDATE: As of April 1st
I went out on the boat today, and my face is burnt like a lobster. Yesterday I got some gasoline on my face but it didn't seem to hurt it so I didn't bother washing it off. Today I got a lot of sun + salt water spray all over. I'm hoping maybe both will help clear it up. I've never seen anyone who lives in the water with acne. Maybe this burn will make the process quicker... I'm breaking out a lot in little fleshy colored bumps all over and now I see one little blackhead. I'm going to give this another week or two, and then head back to the dermatologist since my skin DOES look better, just really really bumpy.

#5 notwashington

notwashington

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

As of April 3rd, 2012

I feel like these updates aren't too spread apart, but as I'm getting towards the end of the first month of not washing I have been noticing a LOT changes.
- Everyone that I've noticed that has ever not washed their face for this amount of time develops what's commonly called a "dead skin mask" I'm well into the third week or so and I've only just noticed it's starting to develop. There are little splotches all over my face which, from what I can tell, are patches of dead skin. It's easier to see this on my sunburn because they're white, but they're definitely starting. I'm going to assume that this is a good sign!
- I've noticed that my acne moves. It started off on the right side of my face with my left side being totally clear, and now it's moving to the left while my right side is clearing up, and it looks REALLY clear. It started from my forehead, down my temple, and onto my cheek/upper jaw. It's on my nose and now onto both cheeks and my left temple. My forehead is looking clear and I have little spots on my chin. (I've never really broken out on my chin before anyway.) I've also come to the conclusion now that my acne is not caused by sleeping on certain sides.
-My back is breaking out in large pustules again. Hopefully those will subside.
-It's getting around the be that time of the month again and I haven't nearly broken out as badly as I normally would. Good sign again? Hopefully that it's not hormonal? (Unless THAT'S what's breaking out my back.)
-My chest is pretty clear now. Just a few red spots. (Yay for v-necks!)
-My mom has had company over for a few days now and whenever that happens we always eat unhealthily. So for the past few days I've been eating pizza, cheesy bread, icecream, fried foods, and some fast food. It hasn't broken me out, from what I can tell.

#6 notwashington

notwashington

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

As of April 11th, 2012

I pretty much notified my parents of not washing my face for a month. They said "Oh, no wonder your skin has gotten worse and you're breaking out everywhere." Which is true. Since doing this, I have broken out all over my forehead/nose/cheeks/temples when my spots would be on my forehead only. But, after some time, my nose is now clear, my cheeks are clearing, and my forehead is clear except for some spots. Of course they yelled and told me I needed to wash and claimed that I'm not washing my face just to make myself break out enough to actually go on accutane. Which isn't the case. I just sort of gave up. But I feel like I'm healing, if anything. It's just taking a lot longer than anticipated. I've reached the month mark by now, I'm sure, but I feel like I'm going to stick it out for another few weeks to see if it'll get any worse or any better. If it stays about the same by that point or gets worse by that point, I will go back to the derm and back to washing my face. If it continues to heal and get better, I will continue on this path of being soap free. At this point I may start using water, or maybe green tea to wash my face since I got curious one day and decided to put a green tea bag (that had been steeped) on my face. Turns out it made my skin pretty soft and I think it may have helped with the healing process. I also tried a little bit of ACV in a test area for a few days and it had no effect.

#7 notwashington

notwashington

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

April 20th, 2012.
I wanted to share a few things I've noticed/learned/experienced throughout this process. I am well over a month without washing my face, and no, I am not 100% clear, but these are my observations, you can disagree or agree, but this is just what I have experienced.

1. Acne is caused by lots of things, which is obvious, I feel.
2. Acne on different areas of your body can be caused by different things.
- It seems that my back acne is caused mostly by either hormones or eating too many sweets.
- Chest and face acne are pretty much the same, caused by makeup use, stress, and too much washing/too little sun
3. THE SUN IS SO GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN, AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
- I was literally a shut-in for around a year or so, and this was probably the peak of my acne outbreaks. I've been going outside for about two weeks now and my skin is clearing up like crazy. Just don't stay out for too long without protection or you'll get burnt. Sunscreen has never seemed to make me break out.
4. I am also including surf with the sun.
- Now, I can't exactly tell if it's because of I'm around the point where my skin is now clearing up, or if it's the ocean, but I think it's the ocean. Yes, my skin IS clearing up now, but going swimming in the ocean all this week has really made my skin so nice. Which reminds me, I've never seen a surfer with tons of acne.
- I suggest if you're near an ocean go have fun and play in the water. If you're not, then I guess this doesn't really apply to you. ;(
5. Acne breakouts go in cycles.
- By that, I mean, that I've noticed my face has developed a breakout pattern. It starts at my forehead, and works my way around my face. It goes down my temple, onto my cheeks, now into my lower jaw, over the nose, onto the other cheek, onto the other temple, and back up the forehead. Then I get little breakouts around my nose rather than on the bridge and a little on my chin and eyebrow area.
6. Eating bad food will not make you breakout as long as it's in a. moderation and b. consistent.
- Of course if you eat a whole bag of candy you'll get sick and breakout, but eating a few pieces here and there seems a-okay to me. But, if you eat healthy 100% of the time then decide after a few years of eating very very healthy to munch down on a juicy burger, you will probably breakout if you're acne-prone. But, if you eat a burger once a month or so, while still eating averagely healthy rather than extremely healthy, your body will be okay with it and it won't slow it down any. It's fine to indulge yourself sometimes! Of course, eating unhealthy food all the time will probably lead to breakouts.
7. Working out. I feel like that's pretty self-explanatory.

There's probably more stuff but I just got back from the beach and I'm pretty tired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users