Photo

Rant/despair At Scar Treatments, Dermatologists Etc

icepick ice pick fraxel dermabrasion subcision chemical peel microdermabrasion tca makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

I'm not bitter, but I am fed up.

Let's see...I've had 2 chemical peels, 10 punch excisions, 8 dermaroller, 2 fraxel, 2 subcision, 5 microdermabrasion, 5 sessions of TCA CROSS, dermapen.

And still my face is no better than before, if not worse. The peel (2007) left my skin with a reddish plasticy tone, not to mention removing a chunk of flesh from my nose. As a result of the peel I can no longer sunbathe; whereas I used to get a tan, now I just get sunburnt. The microdermabrasion I had before this in 2006 was at a 'laser clinic' in Harley Street - turns it was just microdermabrasion, something I could have got at my local beauty salon for £40 a go, not the £200 a treatment I paid. They tried to justify the 'laser' part by waving what appeared to be a laser pen over my face for 5 seconds at the end.

The excisions just opened up and left even worse scars. The subcisions I had to correct these have resulted in one of my cheeks being more sunken than the other, not to mention that this opened excision scar now looks even worse. This scar on my cheek is by far the worst on my face; as if the scar wasn't bad enough, the skin around the scar is now sunken, making it look even worse. In fact every scar I had subcision on looks worse than before.

The dermaroller makes your skin look nice for 2 weeks or so, then it's back to normal - I think this concept of fractional damage and repair is the biggest load of BS I have come across - sure it sounds good, and lines the pockets of dermatologists, but it does not work. The whole 'results over time' thing is rubbish too, it's just so that you don't notice the treatment doesn't actually work, and any (minimal) improvement that did occur would most likely be due to your body's natural healing process. Same goes for fraxel, just add on an extra couple of hundred quid to the cost.

TCA CROSS has just made any existing ice pick scars I had even deeper, redder and more noticeable. I fail to see how pouring acid into icepick scars will make them better, if anything they will just get worse. And they did.

Someone once warned me that "all these people are charlatans" (dermatologists, plastic surgeons etc), and you know what, I think they were right. All these people care about is money, even when you see them on the NHS they try to fob you off to their private clinic and sell you their 'services'. There is no way a peel etc should cost £600, don't be fooled into thinking that a higher price means a more professional service.

When you try to complain about these people, they hide behind the hospital or institution they work at, you've got no chance. Everything is in their favour.

I am sick of being taken for a mug by these people, I hate the way they profit by preying on people's insecurities and hopes, and the way they get away with doing so just because they have a couple of letters after their name. Even the NHS is screwed, it's a bit of a vested interest to have private practitioners working on the NHS don't you think. It seems there is no regulation amongst these people, no one on making sure they aren't ripping people off or performing bogus treatments, no one on YOUR side.

I have wasted so much money, time, gone through so much embarrassment (i.e. walking through London after dermaroller - not nice) and 'down time' over the past few years, and I really have had enough. I'm probably going to get fillers now, which is £500 or so every few months that I can't afford. I now can't even leave the house without makeup, a situation which is made even more awkward given that I'm male. And even after makeup, you can still see the scars.

Above all, what makes me most frustrated, is that in this day and age they can reconstruct peoples faces after accidents etc, yet you can't even get rid of a few acne scars! I mean, WTF??? It's ridiculous, it shouldn't be this difficult.

I hope my experiences will help some of you in some way, that they will make you think twice before having something done. If you have any questions, please send me a message.

Have a nice day.

#2 scarface1

scarface1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

I can definitely relate to your post. My situation is a bit different and I developed scars on my face DUE TO cosmetic procedures. Aside from some freckles and sunspots I have from a lot of tanning in my teen years, my skin used to be smooth and flawless. A couple of years ago I discovered I have PCOS, which is a female hormonal disorder. As a result, I developed a couple of dark hairs on my chin and I hated waking up every morning to pluck them. I should have done my research before undergoing laser hair removal, but I honestly thought that it would actually remove hair. Instead, I paid nearly a grand to find out that laser hair removal can actually do the opposite and stimulate hair growth. Yes, it gave me a beard… Of course, when I discovered that information and tried to tell a few local dermatologists what happened, they didn’t believe that laser gave me a beard and instead blamed my hormones. Yet, there was a distinct line from where the laser stopped from the areas where I wasn’t treated. Yeah, I must have super hormones if they can create a perfect line across my face! It is utterly embarrassing for a female to have to deal with facial hair to begin with, but for about two years I had to use men’s three blade razors and shaving cream to shave off the beard that laser gave me. Considering a female’s facial skin is typically much softer than a males, it didn’t handle shaving too well and I was also left with many ingrown hairs, which caused some scarring. I then discovered electrolysis and of course was told by every electrologist that I wouldn’t experience scarring, but instead I’m left with scarring in all of the areas they treated. On the plus side, the beard is gone and I’m left with a few chin hairs I pluck daily (which is basically what it was like prior to anything being done) and now a bunch of lovely scars to accentuate the problem. So here I am scrolling through forums dealing with acne scarring, because there really isn’t much information out there related to my issue. Although, my scarring is much similar to those suffering with acne scarring, but in a different area of the face. I’ve had a multitude of problems with the cosmetic industry as well as the medical industry. It is extremely hard to find someone honest and with the time and patience to help improve your problems, as well as take the time to listen and educate you on what to really expect. Thankfully, these boards paint a clearer picture of what to expect, because the most honest answers are going to come from those dealing with an issue and taking the steps to try to improve it. I’ve come across some positive results here, but also many negative results as well. I’m almost afraid of letting anyone touch my face again!

#3 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

I can definitely relate to your post. My situation is a bit different and I developed scars on my face DUE TO cosmetic procedures. Aside from some freckles and sunspots I have from a lot of tanning in my teen years, my skin used to be smooth and flawless. A couple of years ago I discovered I have PCOS, which is a female hormonal disorder. As a result, I developed a couple of dark hairs on my chin and I hated waking up every morning to pluck them. I should have done my research before undergoing laser hair removal, but I honestly thought that it would actually remove hair. Instead, I paid nearly a grand to find out that laser hair removal can actually do the opposite and stimulate hair growth. Yes, it gave me a beard… Of course, when I discovered that information and tried to tell a few local dermatologists what happened, they didn’t believe that laser gave me a beard and instead blamed my hormones. Yet, there was a distinct line from where the laser stopped from the areas where I wasn’t treated. Yeah, I must have super hormones if they can create a perfect line across my face! It is utterly embarrassing for a female to have to deal with facial hair to begin with, but for about two years I had to use men’s three blade razors and shaving cream to shave off the beard that laser gave me. Considering a female’s facial skin is typically much softer than a males, it didn’t handle shaving too well and I was also left with many ingrown hairs, which caused some scarring. I then discovered electrolysis and of course was told by every electrologist that I wouldn’t experience scarring, but instead I’m left with scarring in all of the areas they treated. On the plus side, the beard is gone and I’m left with a few chin hairs I pluck daily (which is basically what it was like prior to anything being done) and now a bunch of lovely scars to accentuate the problem. So here I am scrolling through forums dealing with acne scarring, because there really isn’t much information out there related to my issue. Although, my scarring is much similar to those suffering with acne scarring, but in a different area of the face. I’ve had a multitude of problems with the cosmetic industry as well as the medical industry. It is extremely hard to find someone honest and with the time and patience to help improve your problems, as well as take the time to listen and educate you on what to really expect. Thankfully, these boards paint a clearer picture of what to expect, because the most honest answers are going to come from those dealing with an issue and taking the steps to try to improve it. I’ve come across some positive results here, but also many negative results as well. I’m almost afraid of letting anyone touch my face again!

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Oh I'm the same, I've developed scars due to the treatments too, although we differ in that I was treating existing acne scarring rather than hair. But yes, I have many scars from the procedures, the worst being from subcision and the chemical peel.

I know what you mean, they're all nice and friendly, and after the damage is done and they've taken your money, they just treat you with utter contempt. As if you're imagining things, overreacting, even when you have the photos to prove otherwise. I had this when i had my chemical peel, unfortunately it was me versus the hospital when I came to take action against the consultant, so I didn't stand a chance. And this is the problem I think...because no one ever successfully takes action against these individuals who do these procedures, they continue to practice and do it to other patients. I hate the thought of another one of his patients going through what I went through with the chemical peel.

I agree regarding the industry in general, I just don't trust anyone anymore.

In both our cases, sometimes I think the best thing (hard as it is) might be to just to draw a line under it all and not have any more treatments. It's quite easy to fall into a vicious cycle of treatments otherwise, I think.

Edited by dx4567, 29 March 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#4 scarface1

scarface1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

I’ve been scrolling through different treatment options for months now and I haven’t come across anything too promising. I agree that maybe the best is to leave well enough alone, although what I am dealing with now makes it difficult to maintain a healthy social life. I think many people are grasping at some hope for improvement for the same reason. I’ve read over some posts here and wonder how their skin can handle all of the treatments they are putting it through. I think skin needs a break to heal and breathe! I do believe the treatments available out there can help to a certain degree under the right hands and with proper aftercare, but the risks for damage are pretty high. Everyone skin is different and reacts differently. Plus, many people walk in with unrealistic expectations because there are so many glamorous before and after pictures out there. I’m sure there are people out there that are happy with their results, but we are two of the many unlucky people that have experienced the dark side.

I do hope that you keep everyone updated on your journey. Aside from the scarring, how is the condition of your skin? Have you ever tried any skin biology products? I’m currently playing around with using copper peptides and mild acids and thus far it has shown some promising results. I’ve been using them for about two months now and it has helped a lot with the hyperpigmentation and has softened my skin texture some. The scarring is still there, but it has softened up some too. I’m not too sure if that is mostly from leaving my skin alone and allowing areas to heal and fill in or if it is from the copper peptides though. I would consider it beneficial for very very mild scarring and hyperpigmentation. I tried retinol prescribed by a dermatologist about a year ago and I felt that it made my skin very sensitive and more prone to scarring and it made me look terrible. Another product they tend to over promote! Some people are happy with it though.

#5 Under The Radar

Under The Radar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

dx4567 - thanks for sharing your experience buddy, i am sure many of us on here can understand your pain and anguish. it sure as hell is a tough battle within oneself dealing with the things we have to everyday from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep. to think what you would give to go back to your teenage years and be able to control your destiny, regain your personality and character and everything else that takes a hit with the emotional suffering from the scars.

the professionals sure has hell don't make it any easier, everyone has a different opinion, and more often than not its the most expensive procedure which is portrayed as the best. but don't blame the professionals alone, the government regulations covering all these fields is absolutely shocking, there is little in the way to stop the fooling of people by all these money-hungry operators. and where is the actual testing and results of all these so called products. there is insufficient regulations covering this industry and it honestly makes you quite disgusted.

one of the biggest peeves of mine is also how other people may judge you by your looks and your flawed complexion. you just now what they are thinking and sometimes even overhear the odd comment or so. f*ck em i say, you just got to be strong and soldier on. there is not other choice.

stay strong dx-4567. i know it's tough but do what you can to stay on track. this world is for everyone and we all deserve all the peace and happiness which comes our way. if you ever need a chat buddy just reach out mate..... feel free to shoot us a message anytime.

all the best to you!!

#6 Kristabel

Kristabel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Have you seen Dr Chu?

#7 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Have you seen Dr Chu?

Yes. Have you?

Edited by dx4567, 29 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#8 Kristabel

Kristabel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I have seen him a few times, i was just wondering as Dr Chu is the best and i was just surprised he has not been able to do anything for you

#9 Lange

Lange

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Scar treatments do work for some.

Maybe you're skin just is accepting them?

I've been using an acid peel every week and some of my boxcar and rolling scars have been improved by 50%, and a few are nearly invisible unless you get about six inches away.

Maybe a different type of peel?

I've seen some things online where dermarolling showed big improvement for some and done nothing for others. Chem peels also seem to make things worse for some and better for others.

Edited by Lange, 29 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#10 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...no_interstitial

#11 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

dx4567 - thanks for sharing your experience buddy, i am sure many of us on here can understand your pain and anguish. it sure as hell is a tough battle within oneself dealing with the things we have to everyday from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep. to think what you would give to go back to your teenage years and be able to control your destiny, regain your personality and character and everything else that takes a hit with the emotional suffering from the scars.

the professionals sure has hell don't make it any easier, everyone has a different opinion, and more often than not its the most expensive procedure which is portrayed as the best. but don't blame the professionals alone, the government regulations covering all these fields is absolutely shocking, there is little in the way to stop the fooling of people by all these money-hungry operators. and where is the actual testing and results of all these so called products. there is insufficient regulations covering this industry and it honestly makes you quite disgusted.

one of the biggest peeves of mine is also how other people may judge you by your looks and your flawed complexion. you just now what they are thinking and sometimes even overhear the odd comment or so. f*ck em i say, you just got to be strong and soldier on. there is not other choice.

stay strong dx-4567. i know it's tough but do what you can to stay on track. this world is for everyone and we all deserve all the peace and happiness which comes our way. if you ever need a chat buddy just reach out mate..... feel free to shoot us a message anytime.

all the best to you!!

I agree with this. It seems the government have passed the buck to the Healthcare Commission (the nearest thing to a 'regulator' I believe) regarding this. The Healthcare Commission was completely useless in my experience, it seems like it's just a quango set up by the government for PR purposes.

When I wrote to them they said I need to write to the consultant in question. I mean, what? So much for a regulator, when they just sit back and do nothing. I thought the idea was they were 'on your side' when you made a complaint against a consultant/hospital, who would inevitably get away with it if there was no one there to back you up.

Edited by dx4567, 31 March 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#12 Zante

Zante

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

We're talking about a visual medium but not a single photo has been posted. If you're going to be vocal, provide evidence.

#13 dx4567

dx4567

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

I somehow doubt the 'before' and 'after' photos in my case would be of much benefit.

Edited by dx4567, 07 April 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#14 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

i feel your pain. we have to create awareness on these money hungry industry! good luck on finding something that will benefit you