Photo

Thyme Is Best Healer For Acne, Scientists Say

thyme acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 mistertibbs

mistertibbs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Has anyone come across this article, apparently thyme is more effective in dealing with acne than BP. I haven't heard of thyme being used to fight acne before.

http://www.foxnews.c...scientists-say/

#2 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

This is interesting, although it doesnt look like its a helpful conclusion at the moment as they havent tried it on skin.
I guess they used it in petri dishes, which means there'd be a lot more factors to research, like how it reacts with sebum etc. It also only talks about acne bacteria, but I've read studies that show that some acne legions in people don't even have that bacteria present.

Kinda nice to know people are still making breakthroughs in this area though isnt it!

#3 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Kinda nice to know people are still making breakthroughs in this area though isnt it!

No.. coz im sure they already had a "cure" long a go

#4 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Oh right, like we didn't land on the moon too?

I understand that there have been instances where it has seemed like Drs with alternatives methods have been shut down, but I think it's a bit paranoid to say that they are covering up cures for a load of things. What would they benefit from that? And don't say money, because they could make money from the cure, you simply charge more. Also, have you any idea how expensive research like the above would be, it's always a lot more than you think. Not to mention how many people you would have to keep silent...if they did have a cure you have everyone who worked on it, research probably will have been done by a university on some level so all of them as well, it's ridiculous to think you could keep that many people quiet.

Healthy people create a healthy economy, so all this fear mongering and conspiracy theories are just a waste of time.

#5 enjoy

enjoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

I've been putting thyme essential oil into face soap and shampoo for a while now to help with scalp and skin problems. Wouldn't say it does any miracles but probably helps keep the overall severity of my problems down a bit..

#6 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

So how does that work? You rub thyme on your face or what?:P If they put thyme in alcohol to extract its active componds, how do you get rid of the alcohol after? If it's so good, it should be easy to test!

#7 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

I understand that there have been instances where it has seemed like Drs with alternatives methods have been shut down, but I think it's a bit paranoid to say that they are covering up cures for a load of things. What would they benefit from that? And don't say money, because they could make money from the cure, you simply charge more. Also, have you any idea how expensive research like the above would be, it's always a lot more than you think. Not to mention how many people you would have to keep silent...if they did have a cure you have everyone who worked on it, research probably will have been done by a university on some level so all of them as well, it's ridiculous to think you could keep that many people quiet.

Healthy people create a healthy economy, so all this fear mongering and conspiracy theories are just a waste of time.

dont be naive. if they wanted people to be healthy then how would they control the population Posted Image

#8 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

dont be naive. if they wanted people to be healthy then how would they control the population Posted Image

I really hope that was sarcasm

#9 SamIman

SamIman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

I really hope that was sarcasm

u kidding me bro, no sarcasm.

[srs]

#10 elfgirl

elfgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I too was curious about this so I googled it. One of the sites had an account from a girl who said she took 3 cups of filtered water and 3 tbs of dried thyme. boiled it for a few minutes, strained the liquid off, let it cool and put in a spray container stored in the fridge and sprayed her face with it before bed every nite. After a week she saw a reduction in her acne and after a month a very big change in her skin. You could do a patch test to see how you react and then go from there. Everyone is different, I for one will think of trying this, am tired of the bp and something cheap and natural may benefit a lot. Elf

#11 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I read the article as well. I've seen things like this before. In vitro doesn't mean much, but it is still interesting. I'm always looking for a natural way to clear acne. I'd be interested in reading further research on this. I'm also curious to hear if more of you try it as well and what you think of it.

Regarding thyme, or any other herbal remedy, what I would like to see is complete clearing of acne, however. Acne is well known to be susceptible to placebo, so we can expect thyme, or anything else for that matter, to reduce acne lesion count by about 30%. What would be compelling would be something that can clear acne as well as properly applied benzoyl peroxide.

#12 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

This is the article on the UK daily mail; http://www.dailymail...iption-gel.html

The daily mail articles aren't always the best but it's useful to read the comments people make below them. A few different natural treatments have been mentioned by people including thyme and pineapple.

This article also mentions a Dr in the NHS who is interested in the diet-acne connection. I am reading that more and more in the UK now.

and this is what the NHS said about it - http://www.nhs.uk/ne...s-research.aspx

They critically review articles in the press so don't expect them to support it, but again it's always useful to read and the site is open to comments - although there aren't any on this review yet.

#13 *Can*I*Live*

*Can*I*Live*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

I used to work at a restaurant as a cook and we would make a lemon thyme dressing. I never put it on my face, just on salads. But it was so good I might of well have put it on my face! My 2 cents.

#14 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Maybe not as paranoid as you think. We assume that doctors, dentists, and any other health care providers/advisors are always looking out for our best interests. But guess what, the researchers/doctors who came out and told the public that fluoride was slowly killing people got smeared and fired. And to this day, others like them are scared to come out and talk about fluoride because of what happened to those researchers/doctors.

The medical industry thrives on our not being healthy. It's a choice between letting the public know of a cure/natural treatment, or continuing to make bank by letting it go unnoticed or covering it up.

The people who argue that this is a conspiracy are playing right into their hands. And the corrupt doctors and people supposedly looking out for you are the ones brainwashing you into believing they have your best interests in mind. Which in turn convinces you to tell others they are being paranoid. People put way too much faith in the moral values and ethics of the very same people that are concealing life saving treatments/information from the public. So it's not paranoid. This is reality. A reality which many people will never let themselves accept because it's so messed up

#15 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

^I agree with the message of what you are saying, but a corollary to that is that there ARE doctors, dentists, and other health practitioners that really DO want to see people be healthy. However, medical schools and medical research are often funded by companies with other interests in mind, so doctors receive a biased view of medicine. They're not the ones trying to screw you over, they're going off what they've been taught. Some doctors have a tendency to think that they know absolutely everything about the body because they went to med school (don't get me wrong, you'll learn a shit ton, but it's often a very reductionistic view of the body) and they're the ones who talk down to you and seem incapable of listening, but there are truly helpful practitioners out there.

So, if you happen to know some health professional that really cares and is really open-minded, that is great, and they can help you quite a bit. There are plenty of professionals who are set in their ways, and only care about treating your symptoms and getting you out of there.

The bottom line is true though whether you have a good doctor or not, you are the only one who really truly cares about your health, and can do something about it.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 11 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#16 switch124

switch124

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I agree the OP's post. I don't use BP. I hate it. I only use essential oils as spot treatment and they work wonders. Millions of times better than any stupid chemical. I have a small concoction of Thyme, peppermint, lavender and Tea tree that I use as spot treatment every night. Yes it smells. Yes it tingles (peppermint). But what it doesn't do is destroy your skin. BP makes my acne worse, it damages my skin (hello redness) , and causes premature aging. The essential oils I use don't cause any redness. If anything they reduce it (lavender oil).

I strongly recommend using essential oils as spot treatment. There's one con, the smell. In my opinion, the trade off is worth it. Give it a try for yourself

PS. Oh and I don't use a carrier oil, some sites recommend you do so. I don't, but I use very little essential oil. Just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by switch124, 11 April 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#17 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

^I agree with the message of what you are saying, but a corollary to that is that there ARE doctors, dentists, and other health practitioners that really DO want to see people be healthy. However, medical schools and medical research are often funded by companies with other interests in mind, so doctors receive a biased view of medicine. They're not the ones trying to screw you over, they're going off what they've been taught. Some doctors have a tendency to think that they know absolutely everything about the body because they went to med school (don't get me wrong, you'll learn a shit ton, but it's often a very reductionistic view of the body) and they're the ones who talk down to you and seem incapable of listening, but there are truly helpful practitioners out there.

So, if you happen to know some health professional that really cares and is really open-minded, that is great, and they can help you quite a bit. There are plenty of professionals who are set in their ways, and only care about treating your symptoms and getting you out of there.

The bottom line is true though whether you have a good doctor or not, you are the only one who really truly cares about your health, and can do something about it.

True

#18 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image ILLUMINATIPosted Image NUFF SAID Posted Image

#19 BSider

BSider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

This 2010 study on 10 essential oils, confirms Thyme works well against acne (in vitro):

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20657472

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Has anyone come across this article, apparently thyme is more effective in dealing with acne than BP. I haven't heard of thyme being used to fight acne before.

http://www.foxnews.c...scientists-say/

Many things are better than BP which causes free radical damage.