Photo

Two Months Of Irritation...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

For two months I have been suffering with varying degrees of irritation on my face. As far as I can tell, it was caused by nothing, and seems to be perpetuated by nothing. I have analyzed everything and try to protect my face as much as I can and yet the irritation ensues.

This is completely new for me. I have had issues with moderate acne years ago in high school (2000-2003 or so) and every once in a while I will flare up. This is the first time I have had this type of skin though with redness and itchiness.

It started with my face breaking out really badly one day and so I washed my face and it got worse so I stopped. Eventually it stopped and my face started peeling so I exfoliated and it became irritated again. That went on for a week or two. Then I just stopped doing anything for a while. But the dead skin just builds up and never goes away. I can't exfoliate or it gets irritated. Now though, I seem to have dead skin AND its red/irritated.

I have tried oatmeal masks and they don't seem to make it worse, but don't seem to help much either. Unsure or what else to do. Aloe Vera maybe? Also, I can not afford to see a dermatologist so that is unfortunately not an option.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

#2 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

so currently you're not washing your face with anything but water?

also, have you tried switching your shampoo? is it possible your shampoo may be running down and causing an allergic reaction?

you don't apply any topicals?

#3 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Currently I am applying nothing. Even water irritates it. Before this happened I was washing my face with some Neutrogena sensitive not soapy face wash. I have been using that same kind for years with no problem. I moisturized with Equate sensitive skin moisturizer mixed mith jojoba oil. Same routine for a while and I would only get the occasional whitehead, normally around my nose.

For at least a month it has been nothing but the occassional water to try to help with dead skin but it just reirritates it. Not that it ever really goes away, it just flares up worse.

My shampoo I have been using for at least 4 years. I take every precaution to make sure it doesn't get on my face. I don't have long hair either so I don't think that's the issue.

The only time I recall something like this happening to me was at least 5 or 6 years ago when just my moustache area got super dried out. I remember dealing with it for about 2 weeks, then out of desperation (or insanity) I put lip balm(the kind that comes in the little blue jar) and when I woke up it was healed. I'm not sure I want to try that for my whole face but I wonder...

#4 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Alright well I am going to update this just in case anyone else has similar issues.

Unfortunately I have found no cure yet. I began washing my face with oatmeal and moisturizing afterwards. The effect seemed ok. It got rid of dead skin and seemed like it was starting to feel better. Then about 3 days into it my face resumed its awful irritation. It is now painfully irritated under my bottom lip and moustache area. I have stopped using oatmeal and tried applying a small amount of vaseline to a small area. This of course made it worse. Then I tried neosporin which also worsened it. Now I have just tried plain aloe vera which also worsened it. Of course looking at it now, it seems like too much, but I was just hoping for something that could bring a little relief to my face and these things all had positive results with others.

So I guess it seems sometimes your skin is just resistant to everything. I have no choice but to go to a dermatologist on Monday. I suppose we will see what happens there. Though I am starting to think my skin is just always going to be this way and there is no cure. Is that possible? Does anyone else have untreatable super irritated skin forever?

Edited by Hfsb, 05 April 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#5 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Another quick update:

So I just soaked my face in cold water. This felt great. It lessened the irritation but I know it will not be a complete solution. But perhaps my problem has something to do with the heat from my face, and all these products were holding it in. So just soaking it cool water (for at least an hour) took away the heat and at least my face feels normal. It even lowered the redness a bit. I'm hoping its enough to hold me over until I can get to the derm on Monday.

#6 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Went to the derm, got some t/gel samples for scalp, a cetaphil cleanser bar, and some cortisone based moisturizer. It has calmed my face a bit.

I was prescribed Tersi Foam for my seborrheic dermatitis. Has anyone used this before / had success with it? I have to buy it uninsured. And since it is my only option I will no doubt be buying it, but it would be nice to hear some success stories with it.

Edited by Hfsb, 09 April 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#7 myAMBERromance

myAMBERromance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

Went to the derm, got some t/gel samples for scalp, a cetaphil cleanser bar, and some cortisone based moisturizer. It has calmed my face a bit.

I was prescribed Tersi Foam for my seborrheic dermatitis. Has anyone used this before / had success with it? I have to buy it uninsured. And since it is my only option I will no doubt be buying it, but it would be nice to hear some success stories with it.

I read your posts, and I feel your pain. I've been having redness, extreme dry/itchy and hive-like patches all over my face/neck for the past 6 weeks and finally found out last week that I had seborrheic dermatitis. I've never had anything like this before and my skin has been blemish-free for months. I know that mine is caused by being on an oral and topical antibiotic long-term. Have you been taking any kind of antibiotics recently? Even if you haven't, probiotics and a low-carb sugar free diet is supposed to help by depriving the yeast of their food source. My derm prescribed a steroid cream and ketoconazole cream(an antifungal/yeast). I didn't bother with the steroid cream, because it doesn't treat the cause of sebderm, just masks the symptoms for a while. I've been applying the ketoconazole cream twice a day for five days, but no relief yet. Anyways, hope that helps and may you find relief soon! I take benadryl every night to help with the itching so I can fall asleep.
"Hey, girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise. That's all. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. You're good enough, you are too good. Love your family with all your heart and listen to it. You are gorgeous, whether you're a size 4 or 14. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're a good person, as long as you respect others. I know it's been told hundreds of times before, but it's true. Hey, girls, you are beautiful."
- Gerard Way

Current Regimen:
AM: Wash Face w/ CeraVe
Moisturize with CeraVe moisturizer and Vitamin E oil
*Spironolactone 25mg
*Bactrim 800-160mg--DISCONTINUED due to Seborrheic Dermatitis flareup

-Mist face with colloidal silver throughout the day

PM: Wash Face w/ CeraVe
Silver Sulfadiazine 1% cream, for treating/preventing seb derm

Clear Status- Blemish free, 100% clear for 4 months and counting!

#8 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I read your posts, and I feel your pain. I've been having redness, extreme dry/itchy and hive-like patches all over my face/neck for the past 6 weeks and finally found out last week that I had seborrheic dermatitis. I've never had anything like this before and my skin has been blemish-free for months. I know that mine is caused by being on an oral and topical antibiotic long-term. Have you been taking any kind of antibiotics recently? Even if you haven't, probiotics and a low-carb sugar free diet is supposed to help by depriving the yeast of their food source. My derm prescribed a steroid cream and ketoconazole cream(an antifungal/yeast). I didn't bother with the steroid cream, because it doesn't treat the cause of sebderm, just masks the symptoms for a while. I've been applying the ketoconazole cream twice a day for five days, but no relief yet. Anyways, hope that helps and may you find relief soon! I take benadryl every night to help with the itching so I can fall asleep.

Hey good luck with the Ketoconazole. Ive been using it for 12 days and have had very very very minimal improvement. Maybe 5%. My seb derm is really bad around my nose and I get a few spots around my mouth and my chin. But my nose is the worst and thats the only spot I apply the keto. I only apply it once a day in the AM and metrogel in the PM. I see you do the keto twice a day. Good luck....seb derm fucking SUCKS!

Edited by Murph89, 08 May 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#9 myAMBERromance

myAMBERromance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well, the Ketoconazole didn't really do squat, from what I can tell. I had a major seb derm flare-up all over one side of my neck, my jawline on both sides, and quarter-sized patches on my cheeks. It was rough. But it's really dying down now, I've been using Thermazene Silver Sulfadiazine 1% cream, and I think its going to be my new best friend from now on. Its a prescription, but you can get generic forms OTC. Its basically colloidal silver (a natural, homeopathic antibiotic/anti-yeast) in a cream form and its used a lot for preventing/treating infections in wounds or severe burns. Its also effective against resistant strains of bacteria/yeast without wiping out your systems good bacteria. Anyways, definitely give it a try, it may work for you too. Here's a link to where you can buy it online: http://www.google.co...781964048947905
"Hey, girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise. That's all. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. You're good enough, you are too good. Love your family with all your heart and listen to it. You are gorgeous, whether you're a size 4 or 14. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're a good person, as long as you respect others. I know it's been told hundreds of times before, but it's true. Hey, girls, you are beautiful."
- Gerard Way

Current Regimen:
AM: Wash Face w/ CeraVe
*Spironolactone 25mg
*Bactrim 800-160mg--DISCONTINUED due to Seborrheic Dermatitis flareup

-Mist face with colloidal silver throughout the day

PM: Wash Face w/ CeraVe
Silver Sulfadiazine 1% cream, for treating/preventing seb derm

Clear Status- Blemish free, 100% clear for 4 months and counting!

#10 Hfsb

Hfsb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the response to my post. Unfortunately I don't have the means to purchase any type of medication prescribed to me as without insurance it was going to be hundreds of dollars. I have since started eating raw garlic every day and night and occassionaly wash my face with oatmeal. It seems to be having a postive effect. My face seems better but still is a bit red and broken out. Not as bad as before so perhaps it is on its way.

I think this was caused by some sort of bacterial infection I had earlier that was left untreated. It was localized in my ear but was unlike any infection I had ever had. I thought it had went away but now I am thinking it has somehow moved to my sinuses or something. It would explain the heat that is constantly coming off my head, and why no skin treatment is having any effect. This is all speculative, of course, because I lack the funds to even see a doctor. But things seem to be getting better through my own diagnosis regardless.