Photo

Drinking On Roaccutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pelz94

Pelz94

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

I know this is a very common question, but I still want to get your opinion:

I started accutane about a month ago. I'm taking 20mg a day. There are gonna be some events during my treatment which I would very much like to drink in. how bad is it if I have a couple beers or 3-4 shots just like 4 nights out of the entire 4 months of the treatment? I am not planning on drinking regularly, is it ok for me to drink for one night?

#2 32yearoldmumma

32yearoldmumma

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

It's not advised, but I had a few drinks through my course. I'm talking a glass of wine here and there, and very infrequently, but I did. My derm said that it was fine to have very limited drinks. Not sure about 4 shots though, lol, but I am still alive to tell the tale...

#3 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

The best person to ask about this would be your doctor. But that said, to put what the poster above mentioned into perspective, a glass of wine is already going to be 2/3 units depending on the size, so 4 shots isn't far off what they are saying.

As far as I know they tell you not to drink on roaccutane as it damages your liver already, and so does alcohol. But studies have shown that drinking little persistently is worse for your liver than binge drinking one night, your liver just needs time to recover. Over all, I wouldnt worry about it, just don't go mental.

#4 cloudscloudsclouds

cloudscloudsclouds

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

it is not okay to drink

#5 daedalus504

daedalus504

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I disagree, I had two separate derms during the course of my Accutane treatment, and both were OKAY with me drinking. I wouldn't advise doing it within a few days prior to your labs, as it will skew them, and potentially derail your Accutane course. I frequently got hammered, trashed, choose any other word for inebriated that you'd like- and never had any adverse affect. All of my labs were ALWAYS within normal range, not even elevated due to Accutane, but again, drinking the night, or even a few nights prior to labs can throw in a variable which will alarm physicians, so it's best to stay away from it then.

Nearly all medications state "Do Not Drink". I recommend seeing how it affects you. Drink smaller amounts, have your labs done, if they are normal, then your liver is fine. If you are having no additional side affects from the consumption of alcoholic beverages, you are fine. Your liver is still able to metabolize alcohol while on Accutane. I wouldn't expect the full consumption of 1 ounce/1hr, but it's not as if you are absent liver function.

#6 jennbomb

jennbomb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

I had a half pint of Strongbow cider a couple of weeks ago and woke up the next day with the worst hangover/migraine and felt like someone had been kickboxing my liver.... And I am NOT a lightweight haha..... so based on my experience I would say proceed with extreme caution.

#7 bp2000

bp2000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

I work at a bar which makes it hard to avoid drinking where people are constantly offering to buy you drinks/shots. So I still drink pretty regularly and everything has been fine for me, BUT my tolerance level for alcohol is much much lower now. I get drunk much faster then I used to, it really creeps up on you. So take it slow!

#8 masterwong888

masterwong888

Oxytetracycline + Differin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 34
About Me

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Well alcohol affects your liver. Your liver removes toxins in your body. No toxins in your body means you get a healthier body and so healthier skin. So drinking less alcohol concludes to healthier skin. Simple logic.

But i'm a student so.... I breakout alot. >.> I think there might be a ratio of breakouts - passouts.

#9 Mr_Sparkle

Mr_Sparkle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I got really tipsy at most throughout the course of my treatment, but mostly stuck to 2 beers a night (on weekends). My derm said it was fine to drink, just to limit myself and not get trashed. All my blood tests were fine, other than some increased cholesterol. Everyone's different, just see how your body reacts. I just finished my treatment yesterday and looking forward to being able to drink more, haha. :)

#10 cloudscloudsclouds

cloudscloudsclouds

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

I disagree, I had two separate derms during the course of my Accutane treatment, and both were OKAY with me drinking. I wouldn't advise doing it within a few days prior to your labs, as it will skew them, and potentially derail your Accutane course. I frequently got hammered, trashed, choose any other word for inebriated that you'd like- and never had any adverse affect. All of my labs were ALWAYS within normal range, not even elevated due to Accutane, but again, drinking the night, or even a few nights prior to labs can throw in a variable which will alarm physicians, so it's best to stay away from it then.

Nearly all medications state "Do Not Drink". I recommend seeing how it affects you. Drink smaller amounts, have your labs done, if they are normal, then your liver is fine. If you are having no additional side affects from the consumption of alcoholic beverages, you are fine. Your liver is still able to metabolize alcohol while on Accutane. I wouldn't expect the full consumption of 1 ounce/1hr, but it's not as if you are absent liver function.

it was okay and it is okay. i believe. but one day it will be not okay. it takes time for the actual damage to appear. dont play

#11 mmaguy115

mmaguy115

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Not the greatest idea, but you still could get away with it. I started my accutane course midway through my 2nd sememster freshman year and still drank on the weekend. It really depends, if you find your body can tolerate drinking and accutane then take your shot at it. Best deffinately not a great idea, give yourself at least 5,6, even 7 days of being sober before you blood test. Alcohol before bloodtest will cause your liver enzymes to be higher then normal, doctors don't like seeing that. Take a stab at it, see how your body reacts but do not make drinking on accutane a regular activity.

Edited by mmaguy115, 03 June 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#12 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I'm a month in to my Roaccutane course. I used to go out clubbing a few times a week but since started I haven't been at all, nor have I drank. I went out all this weekend because my mate was back from the Army and I hadn't seen him in a while. Biggest binge I've ever done in my life. We drank from about mid-day Saturday through to late Sunday evening.

Not the greatest idea but I had no problems. I defiantly won't be doing the same any time soon though. Have a few is fine by all means, but be responsible whilst you're on the drug!

#13 thefloydfan

thefloydfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

I gave up drinking completely on the advice from my dermatologist. I have been on a long course 40-60mg a day so I've not drank since mid September last year. Much longer than I thought it would be. General consensus though is that its fine to drink a couple of pints, just not binge.

However I shall be drowning my sorrows away with the rest of the England fans during the Euro 2012 comp this month. Hopefully I am now also a lightweight 3 pint wonder like I was when I was back when I was 18.

#14 jupitercallsus

jupitercallsus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I am on 80mg of roaccutane and have been on it for almost 2 months now. I've gotten really drunk twice (2 bottles of wine..) and just experienced getting drunk a lot faster. The hangover in the morning is the worst hangover you will ever experience, especially with having to work the next day at 9am.

It's probably not a sensible thing to do but my blood tests all come back fine so no cause for concern.

#15 B552299G

B552299G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm almost a month in and I've been drinking about 1-2 times a week and haven't noticed any difference other than getting drunk a little faster. No death hangovers or any horror stories like that. I used to binge at least 3 times per week (college student status) but since starting accutane i've been taking it easy. I would agree with the general consensus that if you take it easy and your tests are good, it's perfectly fine to enjoy yourself. The way I control myself is I only drink when I'm going out with friends for actual things like parties, clubbing, birthdays, weddings, vacation etc. No more drinking just for the hell of it cuz I have time from work or whatever. I've also been working on my health as well. I've found cutting drinking to get into better shape helps keep my drinking at bay too (god I sound like an alcoholic lol).

Naw but really, drinking was a large part of my social life, and I've found if I'm smart I don't have to give up my fun while on accutane. Just all about self control and moderation I suppose.

If you can get away with not drinking, it's obvisouly ideal, but I don't think there's any need to put your life on pause as long as your smart about it!