Photo

Any women tried Spironolactone?

hormones spiro spironolactone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1062 replies to this topic

#1061 NatalieEllen

NatalieEllen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts on this board. So glad Google led me to this place :-)
I have been on Spiro 200mg for almost 7 years. I also took Tri Sprintec up until a month ago when I stopped the Tri due to increasing migraines as I age (I am 44)
I had amazing results from the Spiro. My acne was cystic, in the jaw area & my skin/hair were an oily mess.

Spiro fixed all of it! However, I am one of the people the lower doses did not work on. I saw the best results between 175 & 200mg daily. I take the entire dose in the morning after breakfast. I had an initial breakout & did not see the amazing results I see now until I was at the higher doses.

I never had any side effects of Spiro until this month when I quit taking the bcp. I noticed the breast tenderness right way & the bloated feeling that wouldn't go away. I have lowered my dose to 175mg again (called Derm to verify this was OK) & the bloating/breast tenderness seem to have subsided.
I have also had mild numbness in my right foot. I am getting blood work done on Friday.
I find it interesting that my body was very accepting of the Spiro while on bcp & not so accepting after stopping.

I would encourage anyone ordering without a prescription to get some blood work done for sure. Spiro can mess with your potassium levels & cause serious issues. Making sure your labs are OK is very important, especially if you are needing a higher dose to see results :-)

My Derm said if I was to go back on birth control to avoid any progesterone bc, as they are acne unfriendly, but I don't have any further information that that statement from him.

Thank you all for your posts~it is so nice to see others who have the same issues & reading what does/doesn't work. I hope to be off Spiro someday but I don't think it will be in the near future unless my labs show an issue :-)

#1062 acnelove

acnelove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Loved it, Spiro cleared me
only thing was
my blood pressure plummeted
I felt like I was going to black out all the time any time I moved
I had to stop a few weeks ago and I'm just recovering from my inital breakout
hope you have a better experience
I miss Spiro

#1063 samban67

samban67

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Brace yourself this is a little gross- has anyone had a major change in their periods since you started spiro? I can’t be on the pill, so I had an ablation done about a year ago. I haven’t had my period in about 6 months and my period before that was light and nothing more than a tiny bit of brown blood. This month, I’m bleeding more than I ever have and it’s red all of the sudden. My uterus is not supposed to regenerate with new blood so I’m not happy about this!!! Has anyone had their periods become extremely heavy after starting spiro?

I’m sorry for being so graphic. I’m just so frustrated right now. I struggled for years b/c the birth control brought on seizures. So I had to stop that. That brought on the monster periods along with the hormonal acne. The ablation was a miracle cure for the periods and the seizures are 100x better but the acne is awful. Nothing is helping it and I’m scared the medicine is bringing back the monster periods. This is a never ending cycle. Anti-biotics work but I can’t be on them forever. Any suggestions that I can bring to my Dr?