Photo

Any women tried Spironolactone?

hormones spiro spironolactone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1062 replies to this topic

#41 Sierra

Sierra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:03 AM

Dont risk it, ive read about tumours developing in rats that were used in Spironolactone tests. Spiro also causes birth defects in male babies eg. feminization of a male foetus. I fell pregnant while taking this stuff and a Dr. recommended abortion. Why risk it when you can use Botchla's clean and clear routine ? All topical. Much safer to the body.

I too had the jawline hormonal acne.

#42 RaeRae

RaeRae

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:35 PM

Sierra: Thanks for the concern. But my acne is resistant to that type of treatment, trust me I've tried EVERYTHING. I already have a hormonal imbalance (Thyroid) and that is a major cause of my acne. SA won't cure Hormonal issues especially when you have a few like I do. I'm assuming if you want to become pregnant you have to stop taking Spiro months before you plan to conceive. I've heard very little about that feminization of male babies but probably because i'm 22 and probably will not have kids for another 8 years or so. Thanks again for your concern. Sometimes doctors do not spend very much time with their patients, like when I was prescribed TAZORAC, he never mentioned the severe birth defects that would require one to have an abortion if you became pregnant. Just goes to show.

Thanks,
Rae

#43 RaeRae

RaeRae

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:37 PM

P.S. Sierra sorry about the situation you were put in with your doctor.

Rae

#44 Snoopy22

Snoopy22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

Does anyone know about how long until I see results from the spiro? I got worse, and I think it's clearing up a bit and I have less oil. Just want to know how long until I'll be clear.

Thanks

#45 RaeRae

RaeRae

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:08 PM

Snoopy,

Hi. I've been on Spiro almost 3 months and am clear. I truly think the key is slowing down oil production in order to be clear, because as soon as that was under control my skin really changed.

Good luck,
Rae

#46 Snoopy22

Snoopy22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Snoopy22 @ Oct 6 2004, 02:58 PM)
Does anyone know about how long until I see results from the spiro?  I got worse, and I think it's clearing up a bit and I have less oil.  Just want to know how long until I'll be clear.

Thanks

View Post

Thanks! That gives me hope. I am excited I'll be less oily! My hair especially. I'm going to hang in there with this stuff. Keep posting progress. I like to know there maybe hope!

Snoop

#47 bebe99

bebe99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have question for those of you who have taken spiro without any birth control pill. I have read that it can make your cycles really irregular...have any of you experienced this? Thanks for any input!

#48 blue_eyez

blue_eyez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:04 PM

Snoopy:

i'm breaking out like crazy too on each side of my face at separate times. I dont know why but i've been on Spiro for 2 1/2 weeks, keep positive, give it more than a month before doing anything different.

#49 theresasix

theresasix

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:47 PM

Hi All...
Well, I have taken Spiro (100mg) for exactly 8 days and had a migraine today so I'm going to have to quit. I knew that migraines might be a risk but I was willing to try it anyway. However, I also know that if I get a migraine within a month or two of me starting a new med...it is a guarantee of more to come. I'm so sad right now and I'm not even sure why I'm posting. I guess I just wanted to give you ladies an update and also vent at the same time cry.gif After ALL of the topicals, antibiotics, prescriptions, over-the-counter, and every other "treatment"...Spiro was my last hope and I'm so scared of Accutane...
T

#50 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE(theresasix @ Oct 6 2004, 10:47 PM)
Hi All...
Well, I have taken Spiro (100mg) for exactly 8 days and had a migraine today so I'm going to have to quit.  I knew that migraines might be a risk but I was willing to try it anyway.  However, I also know that if I get a migraine within a month or two of me starting a new med...it is a guarantee of more to come.  I'm so sad right now and I'm not even sure why I'm posting.  I guess I just wanted to give you ladies an update and also vent at the same time  cry.gif  After ALL of the topicals, antibiotics, prescriptions, over-the-counter, and every other "treatment"...Spiro was my last hope and I'm so scared of Accutane...
T

View Post

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that. Are migraines something you only get when taking medications, not just sporadically? Eitherway, Accutane is NOT your only hope. Based on your diagnsosis, you still have Avandia and of course there's Insulin Sensitizing supplements and/or Low-Carblike Dietary Changes. There's always a way ;-)

#51 Snoopy22

Snoopy22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

Hey, another question for you all. Can you take Spiro w/ antibiotics? Courses of anti-biotics tend to work for me for flare ups like I'm having now, but I want to stay on the Spiro for maintenance and oil control.

I'm going to call my doc today, but was just wondering if anyone has done this? They are sulfur based antibiotics b/c I'm allergic to penicillin.

Thanks!

#52 Pankins

Pankins

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

I have taken antibiotics while on spiro and did not have any strange side effects or problems while doing so.

TO answer someone elses question (sorry, forgot who asked it) about irregular cycles while taking spiro w/o BCPs: Yes, my cycles are irregular, (I havn't had one AT ALL since I have been on it) BUT when I went to my OBGYN, he said that he does not think its the spiro doing it, but my low body fat so I am really not sure that spiro is the culpret there or not. Wish I could be of more help there. I have heard many women say that it does cause them to have irregulear periods though. Personally, I LOVE not having periods at all. He said it isn't a problem. To me this is a wonder drug! Clear skin and no PMS/periods!!!!

#53 Snoopy22

Snoopy22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:47 AM

[quote=Pankins,Oct 7 2004, 09:46 AM]
I have taken antibiotics while on spiro and did not have any strange side effects or problems while doing so.

Were you taking the antibiotics for acne too? Did you just take the pills together or as seperate times during the day?

How long did it take Spiro to clear up your face? I've been on for a little over 3 weeks now and experienced a HORRIBLE cystic breakout, but it has gotten better in the last couple of days. I'm not on antibiotics yet, but I am waiting for the doc to call today to have her refill if it's safe.

THANKS so much for all your info. EVERYONE!

#54 theresasix

theresasix

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that. Are migraines something you only get when taking medications, not just sporadically? Eitherway, Accutane is NOT your only hope. Based on your diagnsosis, you still have Avandia and of course there's Insulin Sensitizing supplements and/or Low-Carblike Dietary Changes. There's always a way ;-)

Sweet...
Thanks for your concern! I do suffer from migraines sporadically, but with a med that I have been taking for over 10 years I get a migraine maybe every 6-8 months. Now, granted my migraines aren't THAT precise all of the time. One can be triggered by stress or certain foods like too much peanut butter, cheese, nitrates, etc... Or if a coffee shop gives me something with caffeine rather than decaf because caffeine will give me a migraine every single time (which is something that has been cut out of my diet for years). However, even with all of these different factors...if a migraine strikes within a certain period of starting a new med I know something is up. It happened with BCP's (all 4 of them), Metformin, and now the Spiro.

I was a bit upset last night because I WAS counting on Spiro to be my last hope. But I woke up this morning and have more of a feeling of relief. Like I've mentioned to you before, Sweet, I was very concerned with Spiro's birth defects. My BF and I are by no means "trying" to get pregnant...but the possibility of accidentally becoming pregant is always in the back of my mind since I can't take hormonal BC and well to be honest...other forms of BC just aren't as good.

I think that I am now going to try some dietary changes, like you recommend, and see if that might help at all. When I was first diagnosed with Type II and PCOS my doc told me that I would need to adhere to a diabetic diet. It lasted for a couple of weeks and then gradually tapered off because I was very bored with the foods from eating the same ones over and over. However, I think that I'm going to do more research and see if I can't expand my list. I've read many of your posts in the Holistic/Dietary forum and am going to try and print out as much as I can to use as a "guide". I never thought that Gluten and Dairy could be such a factor. I'm also going to research Type II some more as well as learning more about the Glycemic Index of different foods. Finally, I want to make an appointment with a nutritionist/dietician who specializes in Diabetes since getting started is always the hardest part.

Most importantly, however, I would like to keep in contact with you (I hope that's ok). You have opened my eyes to many non-traditional and non-clinical forms of treatments and have truly been such a huge help for me. I know that I have thanked you many times before, but I want to thank you again. You make it much easier for me to deal with my struggles and allow me to recognize a doc's ways may not always be the best ways wink.gif
T

#55 blue_eyez

blue_eyez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:18 PM

Snoop, you have to be PATIENT! like i said in my previous post, the derm said TWO MONTHS for Spiro to work properly. Its just like a bc pill, where you need to give it time. They say bc pills dont clear up acne for four months. Three weeks is not nearly long enough. Some people have had quit results but your's will obviously take longer.

Also, i dont know what you diet is like, you if you eat greasy fast food, fries, chips, chocolate, white bread, pasta, rice, etc., those can be contributing to your cysts as well. Spiro isnt a CURE ALL, it helps but you need to work on other areas like making sure you drink at least 2L of water a day, dont use perfume products on your face, dont touch your face, change your towel that you use to pat you face every second day and eat a really strict healthy diet. I notice that the second i eat a bag of Ms. Vicki's chips or a choc. bar, I get four pimples the following couple of days....it's completely related. Remember, skin shows its health from the inside out....hormonal acne is one thing but people still get lots of acne b/c of their diet. Good luck!

#56 Shortee

Shortee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

Spiro does cause birth defects, my derm discussed this with me when I was there getting the Rx. That's why I think it's really important you make a decision about what you would do if you became pregnant while on Spiro. My boyfriend and I talked about it together when I started taking it. I don't think that Spiro's risk in this area is reason to not take it though, unless of course you are definitely wanting to get pregnant in the near future. As much as I wish topicals would work for me, they don't, and they are very inconvenient for my lifestyle right now. I would very much like to have children in the future; I wonder what my acne will be like when I am pregnant, EEK!!

#57 yingyang

yingyang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:11 PM

Question for the ladies. I am currently on 100mg of spiro and have been spotting consistently=( I am hoping that a birth control pill such as yasmin would take care of the irregular periods. I am afraid of taking other birth controls such as Diane 35 because of the weight gain that I have experienced in the past (Diane made me gain at least ten pounds). I have heard that Yasmin is a dieuretic (ie. does not make you retain water) and so is spiro. Could i use these two together?

#58 RaeRae

RaeRae

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:25 PM

Shortee: I too wonder what my skin will look like when I'm off meds when I want to become pregnant. Could be very very bad considering I've been on some kind of topical or something for my skin since I was 14.

YingYang: Yes those high in estrogen pills clear your skin but also help you pack on some extra pounds. Case in point myself haha However, I can lose the weight but acne is not so easy to lose so I think I'll take that over the other. And yes going on a birth control pill should clear that problem up, I'm on Demulen and been on Spiro for 3 months and have experienced no spotting so I'm sure you can alleviate that problem easy.

Good luck all,
Rae

#59 Pankins

Pankins

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:51 AM

[quote=Snoopy22,Oct 7 2004, 08:47 AM]
[quote=Pankins,Oct 7 2004, 09:46 AM]

Were you taking the antibiotics for acne too? Did you just take the pills together or as seperate times during the day?

How long did it take Spiro to clear up your face? I've been on for a little over 3 weeks now and experienced a HORRIBLE cystic breakout, but it has gotten better in the last couple of days. I'm not on antibiotics yet, but I am waiting for the doc to call today to have her refill if it's safe.

THANKS so much for all your info. EVERYONE!

View Post

[/quote]

I was not taking the antibiotics (doxycyline) for acne, but for something else. I took them twice a day, but not exactly at the same time I took the spiro...maybe a couple of hours apart with each dose.

I started seeing positive results with my skin almost immediately. I had no initial breakout and within a month was totally clear with the exception of a tee tiny one here or there that clear up in a day. I never get Big pimples any more (never have suffered with cyctic acne though...only mild/hormonal breakouts). If your acne is more severe, then I guess it could take longer to see results. Hang in there though. Give it at least 3 months before you call it quits. This drug not only cleared my acne, but transformed my skin in a way. My oil is gone and my pores went from large to almost invisible. My skin looks better that it ever has since I first started breaking out. I will be 31 in November btw and have had acne since I was 12. This is the ONLY thing that has ever worked.

#60 sasha

sasha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:05 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this post on Spiro., and am glad to see many more women are trying it. I began taking it in June and had EXCELLENT results by mid July, I was 99% clear, with only an occasional jawline cyst. However, I did not tolerate it well, having very heavy periods every 7-8 days, and migraines. I do not take BC because I do not do well on it either...have tried sveral different ones, diff. mix of hormones, all have negative side effects, so needless to say, I was not on BC with the Spiro.

I have since decided to stop the Spiro., (my periods were not getting less sporadic, and I even thought if I tweaked my dosage( It varied from 50mg. to 200) or waited it out, my body would adjust, but it did not and I stopped taking it altogether.) Anyway, I am very sad to say, as of October, off of it for six weeks now, my face is horrible again. sad.gif What is a girl to do?????

I have started back on it every other day, 50mg., to see if it will help, and not cause irregularity(which by the way, my periods have been normal the past six weeks).

Pankins...Did you have regular periods prior to the Spiro., and they stopped when you started the Spiro? Or were you period free prior to the Spiro? I am 31 as well, and this is the only thing that has worked for me as well. I am glad to hear it is working so well for you!!!

Also, if anyone knows of anyone who has made their own TOPICAL Spiro., or has read a thread on it....would you let me know? I know there is a way to make a topical with crushed pills and a few other mixing ingredients....but I would like to purchase it already pre-made( I do not trust my chemistry abilities:) however, you cannot buy it online without a prescription...to my knowledge. You can buy the Minoxidil(for hair loss) which has the spiro in it, but I want pure Sprio, and in a form that is not comedogenic. There is one web-site that sells 2% topical is a gel form and is free of pore-clogging ingredients, but you have to have a prescription for it. I would live to try this, Sweet Jade has posted some success stories with the topical...and I an at amy wits end!!! SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO TO PASS ALONG TO ME>>>I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!

Have a great weekend ladies:)