Photo

Just Had Subcision Today!

subcision makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
179 replies to this topic

#1 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 06:49 PM

After doing a lot of research I decided that subcision was the best option for me. I found a Dr. in my area who does it and just got it done today.

The procedure took a total of about 30-45 minutes and he did 10 areas (not exactly sure how many scars - but that's how many bandaids I have on my face). He marked the areas of my face that he was going to do and then put shots in my face to numb the areas. This was really the worst part of it, but still tolerable and I am a wimp! :) I'm not saying it was enjoyable, so don't get the wrong idea. :lol: He used a "nokor" needle. It is rather sharp and triangular in shape with a sort of hollow center (hence no core, I guess). The actual subcision didn't really hurt since I was pretty numb. There were a couple of spots that were a little tender. I think I bled a fair amount - more than I thought I would. That was the most disgusting part to me, but I kept my eyes closed through most of it thank goodness. It made me a little woosy when I saw the blood. I could hear the tethered scar tissue being broken up! It was really strange, but good because I know that it's what's supposed to happen. He told me that normal tissue wouldn't make a popping noise like that if the nokor was used. He put Polysporin on each spot that he subcised and put little round bandaids on each area that he did. He said there might be some swelling and bruising but that I can start back to my normal washing/makeup routine tomorrow! I'll probably wash as normal and put Polysporin on but I'll lay off the makeup for a couple of days -- I'll just hibernate! :lol: I have no idea what the results will be but I will keep you guys posted. I am trying to be realistic about my expectations. I am also planning on having N-Lite done, but in about a month. He thinks it's best to do N-Lite once the redness has subsided. I am in a little bit of discomfort (feels like a bruise) but I just took some Tylenol and expect it will kick in soon.

Let me know if you have any questions about my procedure and I'll try to answer them.
~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

#2 rkl23

rkl23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:07 PM

how much did it cost?

#3 crappyskin

crappyskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:18 PM

sweet!, hope it turns out good for you.

can you tell us more, like how bad was your scarring before, how deep, wide and how many etc..? any photos?

keep us updated on your progress :lol:

--CS

#4 New Start

New Start

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 08:29 PM

Could you tell us a little bit about how you chose your Dr.?

#5 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 08:33 PM

It cost me $175 which I think is pretty reasonable.

My scarring is moderate to severe, mostly rolling scars not sure of the depth exactly, most of the depressions were smaller than the diameter of a dime, I probably have about 10 of what I consider deep, 10 more medium and 10 or more other types like boxcar and icepick. Rolling scars are supposed to be the type of scars that are most helped by subcision.
I chose my Dr. by calling Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons in my area. I had several consultations and one of the Plastic Surgeons actually recommended the Dr. I chose.

Photo:
Posted Image
~ Tamara

#6 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:34 PM

Tamara,

Thank you so much for sharing all that info with us! I'll keep you in my prayers too that all works out well for you! How exciting. Well it sounds like subscision is the best treatment by far these days, so I hope it really helps you. Keep us posted, you know we all are interested in how you'll progress!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. -John Lennon

#7 will205

will205

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 06:36 AM

Good luck i hope it works for you.
"As you think, so you are. As you imagine, so you become"

#8 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 08:48 AM

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes! It means a lot coming from folks here. :lol:
~ Tamara

#9 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 11:53 AM

Good luck! I really hope you see the improvements you want.

Did your doctor mention whether just 1 treatment would be enough or would you need more?

What interests me is - you say that you think there may have been around 10 needle insertions? How would that cover all your face? (With the needling I am having done for the pitts - each pit is individually needled).

So... is each subcision needle treating a much wider area? That would be useful to know.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have amazing improvements!! :lol:

Maya
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#10 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Maya! I hope I'll see some improvement as well. If this doesn't work as well as I'd like I may opt to do it again or may opt for needling.

The Dr. didn't mention whether just one treatment would be enough. He did say that he felt N-Lite would give even more improvement and that subcision by itself wouldn't give as much of a positive result. I mentioned that I might want to get more subcisions done and he didn't disagree with me.

He didn't do my entire face - He didn't subcise all of the scars that I have, just the deepest ones that he thought would see noticeable improvement. At my consultation we agreed to do the ten deepest and see what the rate of improvement was. I may want to have more scars subcised at a later date.

I have noticed that the bruising I have is much broader than just the insertion of the needle. He was very agressive in going around the area of the insertion point . Not sure that makes sense.... For example: I see a tiny insertion point from the needle itself but the bruising/swelling around it is maybe up to 1 cm around. To me this indicates that he went in a wide area around the insertion point. I think that each subcision can treat a wider area than I previously pictured. This may be this particular Dr.'s technique and maybe other Dr.'s prefer to do many smaller areas with many insertion points. Only time will tell! I am hopeful about seeing some sort of improvement though.
~ Tamara

#11 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 09:40 PM

I've put up a webpage so we can compare before/after the procedure:

http://www.tamaramad...n/Subcision.htm
~ Tamara

#12 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 08 March 2003 - 10:18 PM

Tamara,

The results look amazing so far!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. -John Lennon

#13 FrankY

FrankY

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 01:53 AM

I DEFINATELY see improvement - that is just incredible you look like you have very severe scarring in 1st pick and mils in the second... i am VERY happy for you!

#14 Maya

Maya

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 03:03 AM

Tamara

That is an amazing result - and from what I have read, you will have continued improvement for many weeks to come. Wow, you must be over the moon!

So it does seem that each subcision insertion treated a wider area. I'm surprised you have hardly any bruising - the down time seems very good. (At present, on day 2 after my needling, I am covered in red marks/mini wounds which are beginning to scab - I can't face the public quite yet!)

You're looking good girl! :lol:
The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

EDIT: Maya is a former moderator but unfortunately no longer posts here.

#15 crappyskin

crappyskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 03:39 AM

cool, looks pretty amazing - can't wait to get mine sorted!

are you going to do the rest of your face soon? because by the looks of things, if you got all your scars done you would have near perfect skin!

I am really impressed, I hope it continues to go well for you.

--CS

#16 darlingbud

darlingbud

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 03:58 AM

Tamara - that is so excellent. the results are really noticeable. Are u walking on cloud 9 right now? it seems that there is the potential there for non-scarred skin. Thank u for posting your photos - it is so good to see these improvements in RL.

Congratulations. I have an appointment soon so this is very encouraging for me. Subcision seems to winning out over laser.

#17 ram

ram

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 08:18 AM

After doing a lot of research on available acne scars treaments, I strongly believe that subcision is one of most effective treatments. Yet, I think it is still too early to judge on the improvement seen from Tamara's before/after photos. A large part of this imrovement could be related to swelling. More time is definitely needed to allow swelling to subside.

Thank you Tamara for sharing your experience with us and good luck

Ram

#18 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:14 AM

Thanks very much to everyone for your comments!

I am not sure if I am going to have all of my scars done - it's going to depend on what the final result of this is (which I expect in 4-6 weeks) and what the doctor has to say about the other areas improving if they are done. He did the majority of the rolling scars since they are the ones that will improve most from this treatment.

I do agree with Ram - There is actually still a small amount of swelling/bruising and I expect it to go down somewhat so it might be a bit too early to judge the results. According to the Dr. he said that the result of Subcision AND N-Lite would be about 20%. I am a bit more hopeful than that, but I'll take whatever improvement I can get. :)

I am at least hopeful though which is better than I've felt in a long time.
I did dislike hearing from someone here that my scarring looks "very severe" in the first picture, but I guess at least you are being honest. I'm sure you understand that it's not a great feeling to hear that regardless if it's true or not. :lol:
~ Tamara

#19 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 01:27 PM

Hey, what great results from subscision! Can you tell me who your doctor was? I also live in Colorado, but have found difficulty finding a Dr. who has heard of subscision! I have only 1 lead for Dr. Swinehart in Denver...he charges an $80 consult fee... I'd really like to visit more that one Doc though. Thanks for your help. I send you my blessings and prayers for continued improvement!
You live only once, if you work it right, once is enough.

#20 FrankY

FrankY

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2003 - 01:56 PM

it looks VERY MILD in the second picture - you are definately going to see more than 20% improvement, id say from teh looks of it you have about 85% improvement with the swelling - I dont think you could lose more than 20% improvement once the swelling goes down and if you have this procedure done 1 or more times the skies the limit! I am so happy for you!!! And your scarringis only severe compared to mine as i have no rolling scars , just enlarged pores... small icepicks... I see people EVERY day with much worse scarring than your before pic... you may think I am just being nice right now but im being tottally honest it takes a lot of courage to post pics like u did and i seriously think you have found your path to great skin! WHo here doesnt agree with me?