Photo

Reducing Exposure To Chemicals - Recipes, Alternatives, Etc.

vitamin d makeup xenoestrogens chemicals sunscreen natural pthalates money health

47 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

If you are going to consider a study   to be flawed because it uses rats, then you have to apply that to a hell of a lot of studies into your beloved pharmeceuticals & cosmecueticals.   

And one of the biggest flaws in studies that decide chemicals are safe is that they don't study them long enough or study the cumulative affects of the massive amount of chemicals we come in contact with today.  

Also, a hell of a lot of things are lumped into alternative medicine.  So yeah.

Edited by alternativista, 13 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#42 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

If you are going to consider a study   to be flawed because it uses rats, then you have to apply that to a hell of a lot of studies into your beloved pharmeceuticals & cosmecueticals.   

And one of the biggest flaws in studies that decide chemicals are safe is that they don't study them long enough or study the cumulative affects of the massive amount of chemicals we come in contact with today.  

Yes, rat studies are extremely common. Rat studies are used as a jumping board, not solid, irrefutable evidence that it does the same in humans. One shouldn't imply or claim that results from a rat study would be the same in people, especially all the time. One should also know how to interpret the results, as well as look into the study's quality.

Investigators determine whether a chemical is safe by looking at its bioavailiability, how it could accumulate, and what the chemical be used for and it what dosages. Inhaling vs. ingesting vs. topically applying the chemical makes all the difference between dangerous and safe. Again, you must look at study quality.

True, there are some treatments called "alternative medicine" because of how the surveys worded it.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Just used henna for the first time. The color turned out great. And you don't need nearly as much as many vendors say you do. Which is crazy because the reason I didn't try before now was the expense of the amount one site claimed I needed. Which is 300-500 grams for long hair. And I bought a much cheaper brand on Amazon anyway. . http://www.amazon.co...keywords=henna. $10 for 500 grams. And I didn't measure in grams, but I mixed 1 1/2 cups. less than a third of the bag, and it was still way, way more than I needed.  One $10 bag is going to be enough for many months.

No fumes. No "fragrance" that could mean anything.  Smells like dried grass.

I left it on for 4 hours. Next time, I plan to do the roots only and try 3 hours. It is a little drying even though I applied a little coconut oil to the ends. So I applied more afterwards. Other than that coconut oil after the henna, I've had no need for conditioner since I stopped shampooing my hair.

Yes, rat studies are extremely common. Rat studies are used as a jumping board, not solid, irrefutable evidence that it does the same in humans. One shouldn't imply or claim that results from a rat study would be the same in people, especially all the time. One should also know how to interpret the results, as well as look into the study's quality.

Hmm.  I think "Well Duh!" is the  appropriate response to those comments.  I've no idea why you made them. 

However, you claimed an above study was flawed, citing the fact that it was done on rats as a reason.  That's not a flaw.  That's merely "not solid, irrefutable evidence that it does the same in humans."  Although odds are good that it does. Otherwise, there'd be no point in doing rat studies. Most species respond to toxic substances in similar ways. Especially we omniverous mammals. Our skin functions mostly the same and we can metabolize mostly all the same substances. Now, if the study was on a frog with it's amphibious skin that absorbs everything or a Cat that can't metabolize all kinds of compounds we can, then odds wouldn't be quite as good that it is applicable to humans. But that's why they don't do the studies on frogs & cats.

And yes, I know what they look for when supposedly deeming something to be safe.  1) They do that in other countries as well. And very often ban things our agencies tell us are 'safe.'  and of course, our chemical and pharmeceutical companies have zero concerns about selling banned substances in countries where they have no such agencies.  And 2) They don't study enough. As I said before "they don't study them long enough or study the cumulative affects of the massive amount of chemicals we come in contact with today. " 

In some other countries, like Scandinavian countries, they've begun to measure & consider the body burden.  And many now banned substances were once determined to be safe.  Until they discovered that they weren't.

Edited by alternativista, 23 April 2014 - 03:17 PM.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#44 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

http://www.pbs.org/tradesecrets/problem/bodyburden.html  -  Bill Moyers, for those that don't know, is one of the best, most respected Journalists in the United States, ever. Especially amongst TV journalists.

As part of a study of pollutant loads in the human body sponsored by the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, samples of Bill Moyers' blood and urine were analyzed. Eighty-four distinct chemicals were found.

His test results – much like a chemical fingerprint – revealed evidence of hazardous chemicals in common use – as well as compounds banned for more than a quarter century and others so obscure that almost no public information is available to identify what products might have resulted in Moyers' exposure.
  spacer.gif
prob_body_pullqote.gif
The results are not unusual. Each of us has some load of industrial chemicals stored in or passing through our bodies. These chemical residues – termed the "chemical body burden" – can be detected in blood, urine and breast milk. Most people are unaware that they carry chemical compounds in their bodies.

The health effects of chronic exposure to low levels of chemicals are only beginning to be studied. In addition, scientists have never assessed the effects of exposures to the endless combinations of chemicals found in people.

The chart below lists the broad groups of chemicals detected in Bill Moyers' blood and urine tests. The potential health effects discussed are based on persuasive evidence from studies of laboratory animals and wildlife, as well as some evidence from human studies. More

Just say no to as much as you can.

Edited by alternativista, 04 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

Interesting thread. 

Regarding the homemade laundry detergents, I've been buying grated organic prickly pear soap from a local family who owns a prickly pear farm. They add a drop of cold pressed petitgrain oil. it's been great.

I'd like to know more about that soap. I'm growing prickly pear to eat.

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

The Environmental Working Group has published it's report on the sunscreens of 2014.  Found 2/3 either ineffective or contain harmful ingredients. 

Summary article with links to sources such as EWGs report

http://articles.merc...t_rid=541340296

Your skin has numerous defenses to protect itself.  They come from nutrients that you must eat and from the lipids you need to quit washing out of your skin. 

Get some sun exposure to make vitamin D, then put on a hat & shirt.

Edited by alternativista, 04 June 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#47 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

Thought I would add: seasoned cast iron instead of nonstick cookware. I love my cast iron, and some of it is over 100 years old. I've also heard from my doc that it's probably why my iron levels are so good now even though I had anemia in high school. I'm really leery of nonstick stuff due to chemicals. Now if only I could get all my neighbors to stop spraying Roundup everywhere... These people are nuts. I'm weighing the pros and cons of putting a sign in my front yard. They might think I'm batshit, but maybe it's worth it.

Suffered from acne as a young adult that went into remission when put on hormonal birth control. Went off the HBC around age 22 and the acne returned with a vengeance (along with a host of other hormonal complaints). 100% clear with a modified diet that excludes dairy, sugars, grains, citrus and cured meats and emphasizes whole food-based nutrition from both plant and animal sources, most notably organ meats like liver and juiced whole vegetables. I have included a recipe for the most helpful juice I have come up with for skin complaints. I drink it every day, and it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look (not orange. Don't worry!).

Magic Juice

In a juicer, combine:

5-6 carrots

1 medium beet

2-3 stalks of celery

1 small apple (Green is preferred. Omit if you are very sugar-sensitive)

1 small (1inch) piece of ginger (optional, but good for digestion)

This makes a variable amount of juice depending on the size of the vegetables you use.

Drink this throughout the morning until it's gone. Store in the fridge not longer than one day.

Having perfectly clear skin on my wedding day was worth all the headache and effort of figuring out how diet affects acne!

10253792_10152330899888950_7455033623381

#48 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Thought I would add: seasoned cast iron instead of nonstick cookware. I love my cast iron, and some of it is over 100 years old. I've also heard from my doc that it's probably why my iron levels are so good now even though I had anemia in high school. I'm really leery of nonstick stuff due to chemicals. Now if only I could get all my neighbors to stop spraying Roundup everywhere... These people are nuts. I'm weighing the pros and cons of putting a sign in my front yard. They might think I'm batshit, but maybe it's worth it.

Yes. And you want to get vintage cast iron from family, thrift, antiques store, yard sales, etc. that cheap lstuff lodge makes these days isn't ground smooth like it should be. You'll never get it seasoned. Don't worry if it has rust. Clean it off with salt and oil, then put it in oven or fry something. Just this once because it's a void way to season the pan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users