Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9870674

#22 Four9s

Four9s

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have suffered from acne for over 26 years. I am 40 years old now. It has blighted my life. The anxiety, stress and despair it has brought me has been terrible. I have tried so many treatments that I have lost count. I have seen many dermatologists with little help other than more steroid creams or more anti-biotics. I have taken so many antibiotics over my life, I dread to think what they have done to my immune system. On one particular visit to a dermatologist, I DEMANDED that he did something to help my condition other than just write another prescription to get me out of the room. He suggested a skin biopsy. I was quite surprised at this when he explained what it was. They take a piece of skin and send it off to the laboratory. They can then determine what is present on the skin. My suprprise was that he hadn't suggested this many years earlier. How can you treat something without knowing what exactly you are trying to treat. Anyway, when the biopsy came back, it showed that my skin had bacteria (i forget the name of it now), fungus (i also forget the name) and demodex mites. I had never heard of them. I read as much about them as I possibly could and came to understand about symptoms and how to treat them. The reason for the background on this is that demodex mites for me are the only rational explanation for the years of affliction that I have suffered. I now have got my skin under control and the answer for me was SOAP. The thing is that with a demodex infections using soap kills the mites and causes pustules. I used to think that soap made my skin worse because of this and would seek out gentler lotions to avoid these breakouts. The thing is these things apparently live in the pores so killing them may cause these eruptions. This has always been the thing that put me off using soap over lotions. I personally use sea buckthorn soap now. I had read somewhere that it was good against demodex mites. Now I'm reluctant to post this because I dont want people thinking that I'm trying to push a product. I'm categorically not. I do think that general soap will work but because sea buckthorn soap got me through the trauma of breakouts through to softer skin, I'm reluctant to change. My skin has also eventually changed to feeling softer and isn't as oily as it used to be. I used to have very oily skin. I have many theories that the demodex mites actually make the skin oilier, rather than just having oily skin that mites feed off but I cannot prove it, it's just a theory. Now, I don't neccessarily think that 90% of skin conditions are demodex related. I have no idea. But I agree with the sense of the title of this thread. I do feel that a large amount of skin conditions are connected to these mites and that the dermatology world seems to know so little about them. It seems ridiculous. Anyway, if you are suffering it might be worth trying a simple regime of washing with soap (perhaps sea buckthorn) and water in the morning and at night. Use a face flannel and when drying I dry thoroughly and vigorously as if wiping off lots mites. Wash your pillow cases regularly and try and be determined to go through a breakout initially and then keeping up a steady regime for a few weeks before getting the mite population under control. But I do urge you to investigate if demodex mites are involved in your skin condition. Good luck and keep going!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)