spiro

11 replies to this topic

#1 cinnamon_stix

cinnamon_stix

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I've exhausted all options. Tried spiro and it worked great but the side effects were terrible. Considering metformin now. I have pcos except im lean. Recently had my glucos checked and it came back normal. I know this med is for diabetes but heard it works great for acne. Willing to try anything at this point. Anyone who has tried this with normal glucose levels who had success please let me know.

#2 SoSickofAcne1234

SoSickofAcne1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

I feel your pain!! I also have PCOS and getting acne all over my face and back. I am 34 years old and it is so embarrassing. Anyway to answer your questions I have been on metformin for months now. It helps alittle but not that much. Even my doctor said metformin really doesnt help with acne just will help to regulate your period when you have pcos and trying to get pregnant. However it did help alittle. I ran out of pills and have been off of it for about 2 weeks and I am breaking out alot more than when I was on it. So basically in my opinion it will make acne alittle better but not get rid of it. For example I would break out every 3-4 days but on metformin my back would get about 2 big pimples now that I am off of it I get 6 big pimples, basically same with my face.

I am so depressed that I cannot control this acne. PCOS is no joke it effects ur hormones so bad that regular treatments dont seem to work. What kind of side effects were you experiencing on spiro??? I was gonna go on it but I read articles how it caused tumors in lab rats and cancer runs in my family so dont want to chance going on it.

But the only thing besides accutane which is pointless to take because of side effects and does not cure acne when u have pcos is birth control pills. was on yasmin for years and my skin was perfectly clear. In everything I have tried that is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I was on yasmin but I really want to get pregnant so cant go on them =(. If you are not trying to get pregnant I def recommend the birth control pills. I did so much research on pcos and appartenly for our acne caused by pcos, teh only thing that helps is birth control pills and spiro.

But please respond would love to hear about your experiences with pcos things that u tried and didnt work. Maybe we can compare experiences that can help with making our skin better. Do you get cystic acne, is it only on ur face or have on back also?

Good luck and let me know if u have any additional questions. I know how hard battling pcos can be =(

#3 cinnamon_stix

cinnamon_stix

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Aww you are so sweet! I have alot of info I can share with you. Would you like me to message you on here? I can tell you everything I know about spiro! I've been on it for a year and my sister is on it too.

#4 SoSickofAcne1234

SoSickofAcne1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Ok great can you message me. I never used the messenger before but if u message me I will figure it out how to respond. Yes please tell me all about it. I will let u knwo about my experiences also. Thanks =)

#5 cinnamon_stix

cinnamon_stix

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Ok I messaged you! Its really easy there's a little icon on the top of the page in the shape of a piece of mail. Just click on that and you'll be able to see my message and then reply to it (:

#6 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

have you considered accutane?

even though i dont entirely endorse accutane, i would rather endorse dietary changes, or in a worse case scenario, both.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#7 cinnamon_stix

cinnamon_stix

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Unfortunately I've tried accutane...4 times. Gave me severe depression and anxiety/psychosis. Ended up in the hospital. Accutane only helps for people with non hormone related issues. Appreciate the suggestion though!

#8 Mass girl 37

Mass girl 37

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi I have pcos too. Yasmin was the best treatment for me. Stopped it due to developing melasma last year. Acne is back among other symptoms. Derm wants me to try accutane. I haven't been convinced that it's the right thing to try. I am wondering if I should try metformin?

#9 dmill88

dmill88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I just started Metformin for acne yesterday. I've tried a ton of things too. I've had acne for 13 years, and it's always been moderately severe. I know it isn't usually used for acne. Hope it works out...let me know how it goes for you. :)

#10 LillyRose7

LillyRose7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

metformin made me have the worse acne ever, i am convinced it was what caused the worse acne of my life. so glad to be off it.

never, ever have anything remotely sugary with metformin, you will wake up and regret it.

#11 Graciemeow

Graciemeow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, Painting, Writing, Photography, Music, Music Festivals, Holistic Remedies, Supplements.

Achievements

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I just started metformin. I dont know if i like the sound of it. I asked my endocrinologist if I could lead a normal life on it and he said yes I could but I like to go out drinking with my friends and stuff and everyone is telling me to avoid sugar on it. I have PCOS but im only 54kg and acne and irregular periods seems to be the only thing i get with it? did it work for you?? i really want feedback on it

Gracie-Robin

P.C.O.S

Vitamins/Supplements:  Vitex (agnus castus), A Herbal Mix made by a Naturopath, DIM Plus, Zinc, Vitamin A, Milk Thistle, Calcium, Matcha Green tea, Myo-Inositol powder, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil.

Diet: Dairy free (mainly due to intolerance), low carb, low sugar, no processed foods

Lifestyle: I run every day. I gym three/four times a week.

In the past: Various Antibiotics, Birth Control Pills (Dianette, Yasmin, Cilest), Zineryt, Benzoyl Peroxide, Two courses of Roaccutane.

#12 banban

banban

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

For me metformin was the only thing that did anything for my skin.

Ive tried the pill and accutane both didnt work. I started taking metformin and after about a month and a bit my skin got less oily and new pimples stopped coming up.

I have pcos but am lean (44kgs), i dont neccesarily diet but i try to eat healthy and low GI along with metfomin. I just have no idea why it worked for me. but since it does im really happy cause i can actually put make up on and not worry that i will break out just from a little foundation.

Everyone is different but to test things out for sure you have to wait at least a month or so for results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users